Melbourne Football

Wearing melbourne city merch around the town

citypool

7 minutes ago, citypool said:

Gonna rock the city scarf at work before our match on Thursday night. Wondering if anyone has any interesting interactions around the town wearing a city shirt,scarf or hat?

Only my experience at Dan Murphy's wearing the City face mask (related in another thread). Mistaken for Manchester City. I wouldn't be seen dead in the other stuff.

A few weeks ago i was doing the weekly shop and was approached by a  Victory supporter giving me the thumbs down , i calmly answered with the at the time last game we played them and said we only won by 6 nil what have your lot done. Needless to say he just sloped off.

• Like 3

I wore a Melbourne City shirt when I went to Wembley to do a tour in 2019. The amount of questions I got asked about it was ridiculous. Who is that? Are they any good? Are they a mini Man City? Do they have anyone we would know? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, neio said:

I wore a Melbourne City shirt when I went to Wembley to do a tour in 2019. The amount of questions I got asked about it was ridiculous. Who is that? Are they any good? Are they a mini Man City? Do they have anyone we would know? 

Did you say Lachlan Wales?

• Haha 4

Wearing a City jersey isn't quite wearing a River jersey in La Boca but a few years back I copped some abuse at a pub full of Victory garden gnomes. I've always thought Victory have tried to manufacture this hardcore rivalry thinking we'd be molotoving each other out the front of Richmond Station. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Wearing a City jersey isn't quite wearing a River jersey in La Boca but a few years back I copped some abuse at a pub full of Victory garden gnomes. I've always thought Victory have tried to manufacture this hardcore rivalry thinking we'd be molotoving each other out the front of Richmond Station. 

This what I am wondering if I would cope on the train?

25 minutes ago, citypool said:

This what I am wondering if I would cope on the train?

Well my perception with this whole thing about wearing merchandise in public, you'd just have to be prepared with the higher probability of negative confrontation over a positive reception. The brand/outreach from Melbourne City is quite small so you're usually either going to be met with confusion or hostility from rival football codes and victory supporters, who to be fair are just like roaches in hiding, and this only gives them an excuse to vent themselves or trigger their identity crisis of whether or not to live up to their fantasies of hardcore football rivalries you see in south america and in Europe.  

But I don't think a lot of people will care and nothing will really happen on your train ride 

Edited by Young Polak

11 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I've never had any issues wearing shirt or scarf, on trains or in the city. 

Neither have I. You sometimes get a glare from some moron or other, but they would glare at you irrespective of supporting different clubs. In fact I've had plenty of positive conversations with Victory fans before and after derbies, win or lose. I've found quite a few who have memberships of both clubs.

Buying the Puma tracksuit pants at last year's EOFY sale was honestly one of the wisest purchases of my life.

They probably cost me $60 or something with the sale and in those 10 months, I swear I've worn them more already than I'll ever wear the 20 or so City jerseys in my wardrobe combined. I got a hoodie/tracksuit top at the same sale which is nice enough and everything (though the tops at least should be sky blue), but the pants are where it's at. More subtle than a jersey or tracksuit top, perfect for WFH, school drop offs or what have you and they're amazing quality, compared to your run of the mill tracky dacks. Like, you feel different in them, compared to say, a t-shirt, or a tracksuit top.

I can't remember anyone saying anything to me for wearing any City gear around, besides some Victory knobs walking along Swan Street to a Derby (which doesn't count). It's not Glasgow.