Melbourne Football

City v. Brisbane, Sunday 9th May 2021, 4.05 p.m. AAMI Park

jw1739

@n i k o I'm waiting for your player ratings - I look forward to them after every match.

47 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The most interesting thing from the pressers in my view was Buckingham saying that Nabbout was available but they decided to reward Tilio’s form.

But why put him on the right when he's been doing so much damage coming on as a sub. on the left?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@n i k o I'm waiting for your player ratings - I look forward to them after every match.

But why put him on the right when he's been doing so much damage coming on as a sub. on the left?

I never thought of committing to doing them week in week out, more just when the motivation struck. But now that you've prompted me...

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

Interestingly, he never gave any recognition to the coaching staff, however he did refer to the number of Socceroos and ex premier league players. Got me wondering, who are these players? Including only those that have played at that level:

It's the old but implied 'moneybags club' angle, we (Roar) can't afford it, but City can spend what they want and that's why they are top

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's fair enough that Tilio started. He has been lethal off the bench for so long, played exceptionally well as a starter against Perth when Nabbout was unavailable. Would send the wrong message that he should lose his spot just because Nabbout is back when he's available again. 

That being said, Tilio had a very quiet match so I wouldn't be surprised surprised if Nabbout starts ahead of him next game 

5 minutes ago, K-aram92 said:

I think it's fair enough that Tilio started. He has been lethal off the bench for so long, played exceptionally well as a starter against Perth when Nabbout was unavailable. Would send the wrong message that he should lose his spot just because Nabbout is back when he's available again. 

That being said, Tilio had a very quiet match so I wouldn't be surprised surprised if Nabbout starts ahead of him next game 

TBH, I think Nabbout was just as quiet as Tillio.

Only over 4,000 people didn't have more interesting things to do on Sunday afternoon.  Before it was predictable that we won't win it. Now it's too predictable that we are going to win it. We look on the pitch as Sydney during the last few seasons.  Untouchable . Similarly, dominance didn't help with the crowd numbers. 

We scored 2nd goal after the handball (Noone) in the lead up action. After that it was kind of fair for them to score and even equalise. On the end , our quality prevailed.  Galloway was great. Roar lost attacking edge after Champness was substituted.  The assistant coaches forgot to make some subs.

Regarding critics, every team has some weak link.

Just now, malloy said:

I could disagree with you there if I could get some stat on the number of times both players entered the penalty box with the ball at their feet. It looked liked Nabbout was more potent with the ball for example, when he drive into the penalty box and provided that great ball to MacLaren who nine times from ten would score that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I could disagree with you there if I could get some stat on the number of times both players entered the penalty box with the ball at their feet. It looked liked Nabbout was more potent with the ball for example, when he drive into the penalty box and provided that great ball to MacLaren who nine times from ten would score that. 

IMO Tillio was lively early in the first half then went quiet, I thought Nabbout was quiet for the first 20 to 25 mins of second half then started contributing. 

27 minutes ago, malloy said:

Well I think his speed and general dynamism put the wind up the Brisbane defence. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our 2nd half goal came from his side (it looked to me like they held off Galloway, probably worried he’d play in Nabbout who you can’t give an inch to). 
It’s not just what players do that’s important, it’s what their opponents do to counter them that matters too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

Only over 4,000 people didn't have more interesting things to do on Sunday afternoon.  Before it was predictable that we won't win it. Now it's too predictable that we are going to win it. We look on the pitch as Sydney during the last few seasons.  Untouchable . Similarly, dominance didn't help with the crowd numbers. 

The consensus was that support would come with success, I think that it will, in time, but on-field success and lower ticket prices, in themselves, aren't sufficient.

Just now, belaguttman said:

The consensus was that support would come with success, I think that it will, in time, but on-field success and lower ticket prices, in themselves, aren't sufficient.

I think we all know the problems. The question is, what are the solutions? In our case, do our owners really care? "CFG" is really "City Financial Group" rather than "City Football Group."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Only managed to catch the second half but my takeaway was that we look much better with Griffiths on the field either in a CDM or a CB role.

Griff has surprised the fuck out of me this season. Never truly rated him but he's been elite and best still, consistently.

23 minutes ago, Nate said:

Griff has surprised the fuck out of me this season. Never truly rated him but he's been elite and best still, consistently.

So true, at the start of the season I viewed him as someone who may become disgruntled due to lack of game time but now he's one of the 1st on the team sheet for me.

Edited by Deluka
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, K-aram92 said:

Not sure if I missed it, but did Tilio and Noone swap wings at all in the first half? Would be curious to see how Tilio would go switching sides... 

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

It’s not just what players do that’s important, it’s what their opponents do to counter them that matters too.

This sounds like the football version of the quote from Batman 🤣

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Deluka said:

So true, at the start of the season I viewed him as someone who may become disgruntled due to lack of game time but now he's one of the 1st on the team sheet for me.

When the team is playing well the job for each individual player is easier, a split second more time in possession, more distribution options, and the selection bar is higher too.

5 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Well I think his speed and general dynamism put the wind up the Brisbane defence. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our 2nd half goal came from his side (it looked to me like they held off Galloway, probably worried he’d play in Nabbout who you can’t give an inch to). 

I agree with essentially everything you have said. My comment regarding both of them being quiet was to draw the comparison so that Tillio was not harshly judged (Nabbout is definitely the starter of the two when fit). Iirc there were also opportunities that Tilio was involved in creating that should have been scored.

I also think, but would have to rewatch game to confirm, that a large part of Tilio being quiet was to do with Champness doing very well in pressuring and closing down Galloway. Whenever Galloway got the ball Champness was right on top of him and closing his passing options which nullified Galloway and by extension Tilio. The timing of Champness being subbed off also seemed to coincide with our right side firing up on the attack. That being said its alot harder to pick up on these things when at the game compared to watching on TV, so I could be way off the mark with my assessment of the performances of Tillio and Nabbout and the potential reasons why.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malloy said:

I also think, but would have to rewatch game to confirm, that a large part of Tilio being quiet was to do with Champness doing very well in pressuring and closing down Galloway. Whenever Galloway got the ball Champness was right on top of him and closing his passing options which nullified Galloway and by extension Tilio. The timing of Champness being subbed off also seemed to coincide with our right side firing up on the attack. That being said its alot harder to pick up on these things when at the game compared to watching on TV, so I could be way off the mark with my assessment of the performances of Tillio and Nabbout and the potential reasons why.

I agree with this 100%. My take during the game was Moon had only one plan, just kick it to DJ Joey. Fuk, it looked like he didn't even bother trying to win the midfield, just as long as every ball went to Champness. 

So perhaps we were wary of that and as such directed play down the other flank. Tillo didn't necessarily do anything wrong, he just didn't get enough of it. It only went there when we had our defence set and no where for Joey to go.

Glover - 7 - I felt there was more that he could have done for at least one of those goals. 

Jameison - 8 - solid, scored a goal but was an own goal by opposition. 

Good - 8 - Mr reliable. Solid as a rock.

Reis - 7 - there was something about his performance that made me think I couldn't rate him as high as Good. When I think of what it is I'll edit it in. 

Galloway - 9 - had to be a 9, not only because he was reliable defensively but that winning goal could have all but sealed the deal for our season.

ONiel - 9 - fantastic performance. Can see he's really starting to find his stride. Did he assist Metcalfe or was it Jamo?

Metcalfe - 8 - damn I want to give him a 9 but I think he's got even more in him. What a talent, great vision by the club snagging him. 

Luna - 8 - great work rate, didn't really do too much wrong without doing anything outstanding. 

Tilio 7 - not as productive as his former performance but he didn't look out of place in the starting eleven. 

Noone - 7 - better than previous games, still not his best performance. 

MacLaren - 5 - missed some absolute sitters and one on ones. Not on his a game. 

Nabbout - 7 - provided some great runs into the box, not too much end product.

Berenguer - 7 - better than previous games. Still not producing enough. 

Somewhere in all these ratings someone was responsible for the goals we conceded. I don't think Glover was to blame entirely. I also look at the ratings and know there are many holes in them where you compare one player to another and could make an argument for or against. 

Edited by n i k o

44 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Glover - 7 - I felt there was more that he could have done for at least one of those goals. 

Jameison - 8 - solid, scored a goal.

Good - 8 - Mr reliable. Solid as a rock.

Reis - 7 - there was something about his performance that made me think I couldn't rate him as high as Good. When I think of what it is I'll edit it in. 

Galloway - 9 - had to be a 9, not only because he was reliable defensively but that winning goal could have all but sealed the deal for our season.

ONiel - 9 - fantastic performance. Can see he's really starting to find his stride. Did he assist Metcalfe or was it Jamo?

Metcalfe - 8 - damn I want to give him a 9 but I think he's got even more in him. What a talent, great vision by the club snagging him. 

Luna - 8 - great work rate, didn't really do too much wrong without doing anything outstanding. 

Tilio 7 - not as productive as his former performance but he didn't look out of place in the starting eleven. 

Noone - 7 - better than previous games, still not his best performance. 

MacLaren - 5 - missed some absolute sitters and one on ones. Not on his a game. 

Nabbout - 7 - provided some great runs into the box, not too much end product.

Berenguer - 7 - better than previous games. Still not producing enough. 

Somewhere in all these ratings someone was responsible for the goals we conceded. I don't think Glover was to blame entirely. I also look at the ratings and know there are many holes in them when you compare one player to another. 

Im not sure if it was put down as Jamo's goal, but it wasn't on target until it took a deflection. Should definitely be recorded as an own goal. 

2 minutes ago, malloy said:

Im not sure if it was put down as Jamo's goal, but it wasn't on target until it took a deflection. Should definitely be recorded as an own goal. 

It was and I was aware of this but couldn't be bothered explaining it because I figured everyone knew. 

I've edited that part. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1