Melbourne Football

City v. Brisbane, Sunday 9th May 2021, 4.05 p.m. AAMI Park

jw1739

Just now, Mr MO said:

Wow how many chances do we did! Jmac needs to start practicing on those one v ones, and how to round a goal keeper.

He’s never rounded the keeper has he? I can’t remember him doing it. Very much a see ball, shoot ball type of striker. 

5 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Completely and utterly dominated them and yet it's 2-2. Go figure.

Glover needs to find his testicles and begin to command his box. He will never come off his line and even when he does he is more running in hope then with confidence.

I still have full confidence that we'll win, but just to be sure, I'd sub Griffiths and nabbout on.

Glover starts to develop as our weakest link in a successful team. He’s got the height, it seems confidence. I remember one of his first games for us and he absolutely bossed the air.

4 minutes ago, Harrison said:

He’s never rounded the keeper has he? I can’t remember him doing it. Very much a see ball, shoot ball type of striker. 

Yeah I was thinking when I wrote it, can’t recall it - always pulls the trigger really early.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

I got the impression that we didn't have enough intensity defensively when they scored their goals. I never felt that they were in good scoring positions yet somehow they managed to score with relative ease. 

Edited by n i k o

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Maclaren killing us. Burned two or three. 

If he scores all those easy chances as well he would still be in Europe. I’m not on the “God Status” bandwagon talks as some others, games like today have happened a little too often for my liking. Saying that he will probably still score today.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

Very very scrappy. 

Annoying we butchered so many chances. 

JMac had poor performance (which to be fair we probably set the bar a bit too high - he won't score from every chance) so it was good to see others chipping in. 

Main thing is we got the chocies. Business end of the season, the margin doesn't really matter - just need to get the points. 

3 games clear. 6 games left. Fuck I'm nervous yet full of joy. 

These are the games that would have been frustrating in previous years (probably because we wouldn't have found a winner). But honestly, heading into this game, a point would probably have been okay. Just don't let them gain ground and become a serious challenger. On the balance of play we deserved to win and we scratched it out. I think we're in a position now when we don't have to worry about frustrating wins.

That's sealed the Premier's Plate for us, as far as I'm concerned. I know it's not a done deal mathematically, but seriously, three points from our remaining games would probably see off our opposition. It would take a catastrophic slump from here and we just haven't shown the slightest inclination to do that. We've always bounced back from a poor performance, like clockwork.

I won't tell anyone else how to approach the remaining games, but personally, I'll just exhale and enjoy them. The finals will be another challenge and I'm not taking anything for granted, but as far as securing one of the two really MAJOR trophies on offer for the first time, I think we can relax - we've done it.

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

Back in the day I would have said this is looking like a late loss. But lately we seem to fire up around the 70 min mark. Feeling unusually optimistic 

And considering when we scored the 3rd and ultimately the winner just within 70mins...can I borrow your crystal ball? 

• Haha 1

Just got home.  I was underwhelmed by the size of the crowd.....are the slightly less committed fans saving their days out for the finals? Is the AFL season having that much of an impact, have people spent their pie and pint cash at oval grounds? 

Yes, Roar really could smell a win for most of the second half and we looked comparatively poor from 45-70min.  That brilliant third goal sealed it for us and really took the wind out of their sails.....and we started to perform like the first half again. 

Should have been 4-2, could have been 6-2 but for the woodwork.

O'Neill was great.  

Glover was at fault for both goals.  Unusual.

WHY do we need two players to take a damn corner? 

Edited by CityWildcat
  • Like 1

I thought it was a really good win. 
Ok we could have been a mile ahead, but we weren’t and in an earlier era we would have gone on to lost once they drew level.

instead we fought on and got the winner.

Champness was easily their best outfield player so him being subbed was a real bonus for us.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

Just got home.  I was underwhelmed by the size of the crowd.....are the slightly less committed fans saving their days out for the finals? Is the AFL season having that much of an impact, have people spent their pie and pint cash at oval grounds? 

I think it's more going back to basics of what you can objectively see as a club that is Melbourne City, the competition and how its presented.

Sharing a stadium with victory and now western united is pretty detrimental to differentiate yourself for new fans to invest in you.

I also personally think the all sky blue as a home kit to identify yourself as is also a mistake, as people arent that stupid to see massive correlation to the city football group alignment and this can be off putting. Unfair to see other cfg owned clubs hold onto their original club colours before they rebranded.

Always thought a tri-colour of red blue and white will have a distinguishing aesthetic look in comparison to the rest of the competition. Fans persist to carry the red colour, with the red cross sticking out on the club logo but its not embraced by the club itself at home games. So there is a cultural differentiation between fan and club staff

Can't look at why fans or members arent 'coming back' but look for the question of how to get new members in. it's always been that case with this club since day dot. 

The growth of the clubs fanbase has stagnated and I see it as a mix of the club's structure and vision of how they present themselves and also how the league its is managed and run

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

Just got home.  I was underwhelmed by the size of the crowd.....are the slightly less committed fans saving their days out for the finals?

Twilight on Mother's Day. Probably the biggest graveyard slot in the Winter sports calendar.

If there was any way for me to get there, considering I thought a win basically locks up the Premier's Plate, I would have gone. But there's not a snowballs chance in hell for me at that timeslot on Mother's Day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CityWildcat said:

Yes, Roar really could smell a win for most of the second half and we looked comparatively poor from 45-70min.  That brilliant third goal sealed it for us and really took the wind out of their sails.....and we started to perform like the first half again. 

O'Neill was great.  

Crowd was 4530 which is very lacklustre 

34 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

I think it's more going back to basics of what you can objectively see as a club that is Melbourne City, the competition and how its presented.

Sharing a stadium with victory and now western united is pretty detrimental to differentiate yourself for new fans to invest in you.

I also personally think the all sky blue as a home kit to identify yourself as is also a mistake, as people arent that stupid to see massive correlation to the city football group alignment and this can be off putting. Unfair to see other cfg owned clubs hold onto their original club colours before they rebranded.

Always thought a tri-colour of red blue and white will have a distinguishing aesthetic look in comparison to the rest of the competition. Fans persist to carry the red colour, with the red cross sticking out on the club logo but its not embraced by the club itself at home games. So there is a cultural differentiation between fan and club staff

Can't look at why fans or members arent 'coming back' but look for the question of how to get new members in. it's always been that case with this club since day dot. 

The growth of the clubs fanbase has stagnated and I see it as a mix of the club's structure and vision of how they present themselves and also how the league its is managed and run

I agree with all this. We don't talk about it any more, because it seems that we're moaning all the time. Went to Dan Murphy's on Friday. Wearing my City mask. Chap on the check-out asked me "How do you think you'll go in the Champions League?" I said "Champions League? We look as though we could win the A-League for the first time." And he replied "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that was a Manchester City mask you're wearing."

37 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Twilight on Mother's Day. Probably the biggest graveyard slot in the Winter sports calendar.

If there was any way for me to get there, considering I thought a win basically locks up the Premier's Plate, I would have gone. But there's not a snowballs chance in hell for me at that timeslot on Mother's Day.

The APL must be brain dead to think that the A-League can go up against Mothers' Day. I'm surprised we even got up to 4,530.

We looked very good initially, although JMac actually looked off in the warm-up,  which carried into his finishing ... but he still got into killer positions, with several great chances. 

Brisbane were defending with a back 5, and really only had two options for goal ... fast break and set piece. 

I think we were a bit lethargic off the back of the Perth game. 

R Griffiths is very important to us, so it's a positive that we won whilst he got a spell.

In truth,  with the chances we made, we could have had 5 or 6 goals ... but to still win when a bit flat is actually a great sign  ...

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

All things considered, what a win. Had enough chances to score at least 5 or 6 honestly but we were as wasteful as Jamie Young was outstanding. 

O'Neill was MOTM for me closely followed by Galloway and I thought Maclaren was alright - I'd rather a player get into as many great positions as he did and butcher it than go absent and not take any shots, so it is what it is. I'd also like to give a shoutout to Florin who was the perfect substitute given the state of the game at 2-2. The feeling was tense, the passes were sloppy and Brisbane were looking good for a counter-attack goal but Berengeur came on and was composed and helped wrestle control back in our favour. Obvs he's just doing his job but since he's the forum whipping boy, it's nice to pay homage when he's good. 

Anyway, half the job is done and now we need to beat Adelaide on Thursday night for me to be fully convinced we won't bottle it. Great win. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

We looked very good initially, although JMac actually looked off in the warm-up,  which carried into his finishing ... but he still got into killer positions, with several great chances. 

Brisbane were defending with a back 5, and really only had two options for goal ... fast break and set piece. 

I think we were a bit lethargic off the back of the Perth game. 

R Griffiths is very important to us, so it's a positive that we won whilst he got a spell.

In truth,  with the chances we made, we could have had 5 or 6 goals ... but to still win when a bit flat is actually a great sign  ...

Lethargic sums it up for me too, but IMO most of the lads went quite well and would rate 7-9 on my score and we were let down by a small number who were well below par.

Glover (6) was horribly slow to get down to the first Brisbane goal and gave his impression of stand-and-watch-it Bouzanis for the second. I'd have given him a 5 but for the save from Mehbrahtu and the follow-up block.
Tilio (5) just didn't have an impact on the right. I don't understand why it wasn't Cola who was tried as a starter.
JMac (5) looked to be off a yard of pace, and I'm sure he will want to forget this evening quickly. Several times he made the wrong choice of where to put the ball and just could not get on target. These butchered one-on-ones are starting to be too regular.
Nabbout (5) was also well off his usual pace and wasteful with that final ball.
Noone (6) looked good at times, but again he's very wasteful with the final ball.

It was a good match to watch, but cripey, when the temperature drops a couple of degrees it's cold to sit there without a decent crowd to generate some body heat. IMO it's going to be a challenge to retain fans if winter football becomes a reality.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Young Polak said:

See Man City doesn’t even play in an all sky blue kit, always in white shorts! We had white shorts and sky blue top (my favourite combo) as well. Why did we change to ugly all sky blue pyjamas some seasons ago, my take is that it’s done just to maximise the CFG brand exposure. I think our Indian and Uruguayan clubs are also forced to play in pyjamas. Forcing clubs to play in ugly kits doesn’t help with fan engagement. 

I think the club has done extremely well in the last seasons by listening to us fans screaming for an identity (music during homes games comes to mind recently) however the club colours and history embracement is still the missing link and stings me most still.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I think our Indian and Uruguayan clubs are also forced to play in pyjamas. Forcing clubs to play in ugly kits doesn’t help with fan engagement. 

you're right, and it's quite dogshit too.

Why cant we just have a tri color combo like Marinos or Hamburg ffs 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Football_Group#New_York_City_FC

Edited by Young Polak

10 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

O'Neill was great.  

If its any consolation the Hawthorn vs West Coast drew 15k at the MCG (easily keep the 1.5m separation there), Footscray vs Carlton drew 27k at Marvel.

So I think that mothers day had a big impact across the weekend.

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Lethargic sums it up for me too, but IMO most of the lads went quite well and would rate 7-9 on my score and we were let down by a small number who were well below par.

Glover (6) was horribly slow to get down to the first Brisbane goal and gave his impression of stand-and-watch-it Bouzanis for the second. I'd have given him a 5 but for the save from Mehbrahtu and the follow-up block.
Tilio (5) just didn't have an impact on the right. I don't understand why it wasn't Cola who was tried as a starter.
JMac (5) looked to be off a yard of pace, and I'm sure he will want to forget this evening quickly. Several times he made the wrong choice of where to put the ball and just could not get on target. These butchered one-on-ones are starting to be too regular.
Nabbout (5) was also well off his usual pace and wasteful with that final ball.
Noone (6) looked good at times, but again he's very wasteful with the final ball.

It was a good match to watch, but cripey, when the temperature drops a couple of degrees it's cold to sit there without a decent crowd to generate some body heat. IMO it's going to be a challenge to retain fans if winter football becomes a reality.

They should try sub zero on an open terrace at York City... 

During the Brisbane press conference, Moon was asked a question touching on Kisnorbos rhetoric about 'the process' and whether our quality/ performances are a surprise to him?

Interestingly, he never gave any recognition to the coaching staff, however he did refer to the number of Socceroos and ex premier league players. Got me wondering, who are these players? Including only those that have played at that level:

Jmac (Socceroos)

Good?? (Socceroos & PL) 1 debut match and no games for Newcastle United in the PL 

ONiel (Premier League) 3 games

Nabbout - Socceroos

Noone - Premier League 13/14

Is there anyone else?

Edited by n i k o

26 minutes ago, n i k o said:

During the Brisbane press conference, Moon was asked a question touching on Kisnorbos rhetoric about 'the process' and whether our quality/ performances are a surprise to him?

Interestingly, he firstly never have any recognition to the coaching staff, however he did refer to the number of Socceroos and ex premier league players. Got me wondering, who are year players? Including only those that have played at that level:

Jmac (Socceroos)

Good?? (Socceroos & PL) 1 debut match and no games for Newcastle United in the PL 

Nabbout - Socceroos

Is there anyone else?

Noone had 17 PL appearances I think. As you also note, years ago. He’s had more games in League One. Long bow to refer to him as a “prem player” (as some often do). 
ONeills 3 were all off the bench.

Ultimately though credit to Moon, he has a team of nobodies.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Interestingly, he firstly never have any recognition to the coaching staff, however he did refer to the number of Socceroos and ex premier league players. Got me wondering, who are year players? Including only those that have played at that level:

Jmac (Socceroos)

Nabbout - Socceroos

Is there anyone else?

What's his problem? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

This game is a good reminder that we need to take our chances. If we ever forgot that. Brisbane aren’t a bad team and even though their two goals weren’t the best goals, good teams find avenues to goal. Hopefully we use this as motivation to work on our finishing.

Speaking of finishing, Galloway’s was pretty nice. Loved his game. O’Neill very good in the middle of the park.  

• Like 2