Melbourne Football

Huh, there's a game tonight? Glory vs City 9:20PM @ NIB Stadium

haz

8 minutes ago, TJV said:

I forgot Perth have some fucking hacks on their books 

For a second I read this as "forgot Perth were playing" as there were patches in that second half where Perth barely touched it! We definitely showed the gulf in class and why we are 1st and they are struggling to make 6th...

2 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

For a second I read this as "forgot Perth were playing" as there were patches in that second half where Perth barely touched it! We definitely showed the gulf in class and why we are 1st and they are struggling to make 6th...

Big time. We were practically parked in their half for a solid half hour. Even when we took our foot off the gas Perth couldn't press us effectively, the boys stayed composed in possession and gave them nothing to work with, outside of Glover's brain fart. Really great to watch us pass our way around Perth. As @Shahanga said, champagne football, an absolute joy to watch.

What an away performance. Although if you didn't know, you would be forgiven for not knowing who was the home team. The last few rounds prior to this game I don't think we've been at our best but I haven't seen us move the ball with that precision and purpose for some time now.  

No one player can be given all the praise and the players can't be given all the credit, fantastic performance from the coaching staff as well for being able to work in unison. Have to say though well done to Jaime getting to the 100 goals.

I read some comments about Berenguer which I don't completely agree with. Prior to his stints on the bench he was looking sharp however tonight he was a bit rusty. Reminded me of Atkinson when he came back into the starting eleven this season (arguably Atkinson had an even more turbulent starting game). I think it's great that we have the capability to start our Aussie players and have someone like Berenguer to come off the bench. And I don't think it matters that he's a visa. The key is we can fill the pitch with high quality players. 

Glover - 6 - didn't have to do a lot on the end, almost cost us a goal with his pass out from defence. 

Jamo - 8 - great performance especially being played in a strange role, floating between being a number 10 it seemed. 

Good - 8 - just solid and reliable. Week in week out. Really should give him a 9 every week but want to save it should be score as well. 

Griffiths - 8 - solid and reliable

Galloway - 9 - dealt with a barrage of attacks and provided two assists

O Niel - 8 - quality performance, probably still finding match fitness. 

Metcalfe - 8 - so reliable on the ball, can't remember too many times he turns out over

Frenchy - 6 - looked rusty. He's a quality player, think he needs another start to find it. Should he get it is another thing. 

Noone - 6 - a not so positive 6 this week. I felt last week his performance had a more positive impact on the have than this week. A lot of attacking play was lost with his end product. Again, come  to expect more from him based on what he can deliver. 

Tilio - 7 - were I to judge him as a young player starting for the first time I would rate him an 8. So much attacking prowess, created opportunities. Taking age and experience out he had opportunities to score, made a run into the six yard box and didn't shoot and also missed a completely open goal. That aside, very impressed with him. 

MacLaren - 9 - can we keep him forever

Reis - 8 - solid 

Colakovski - 7 - made some strong running attacks at defenders. 

Luna - 8 - a welcome change for Berenguer. 

Garruccio - 7 - does a great job chasing down the ball later in the game against tired opposition. Not much end product but he plays an important role nonetheless. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Frenchy - 6 - looked rusty. He's a quality player, think he needs another start to find it. Should he get it is another thing.

We have been saying this for two years. He is a waste of a visa spot.

4 goals and 6 assists across 2.5 seasons is horrible for a player who is meant to be our "playmaker".

Edited by haz

How can Berenguer be "rusty?" Football is his job. He's either training or playing and has been for the whole season that is at the three-quarters stage? He's in his third season with us so by now he knows what is expected of him.

I'll defend Berenguer...again. He's a rhythm player. As soon as he goes out of the squad he takes a while to get going again. It's one of his biggest flaws. I still rate him as a player but this season should probably he his final one for us. Still has a part to play.

On the match itself, a little shaky but we handled them comfortably in the end. Tilio so promising. Galloway excellent and Maclaren doing his usual thing.

Perth need a rebuild, time to wipe the slate clean of the old blokes and build a proper team. They're not the team they used to be and when their goal went in I immediately thought 'of course', but then I looked at the ladder and remembered that they're a spent force. Third bottom? Ordinary defence with ordinary players like Aspro.

So refreshing to follow a team that finally knows how to win. And to do it without Nabbout was pleasing.

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, haz said:

4 goals and 6 assists across 2.5 seasons is horrible for a player who is meant to be our "playmaker".

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

How can Berenguer be "rusty?" Football is his job. He's either training or playing and has been for the whole season that is at the three-quarters stage? He's in his third season with us so by now he knows what is expected of him.

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

I'll defend Berenguer...again. He's a rhythm player. As soon as he goes out of the squad he takes a while to get going again. It's one of his biggest flaws. I still rate him as a player but this season should probably he his final one for us. Still has a part to play.

On the match itself, a little shaky but we handled them comfortably in the end. Tilio so promising. Galloway excellent and Maclaren doing his usual thing.

Perth need a rebuild, time to wipe the slate clean of the old blokes and build a proper team. They're not the team they used to be and when their goal went in I immediately thought 'of course', but then I looked at the ladder and remembered that they're a spent force. Third bottom? Ordinary defence with ordinary players like Aspro.

So refreshing to follow a team that finally knows how to win. And to do it without Nabbout was pleasing.

As Harrison mentioned Berenguer had that fluctuation in his performances. The word rusty probably isn't the right one but it meant to explain that he hasn't had consistent game time that affects his performances a bit. 

11 minutes ago, n i k o said:

As Harrison mentioned Berenguer had that fluctuation in his performances. The word rusty probably isn't the right one but it meant to explain that he hasn't had consistent game time that affects his performances a bit. 

I'll try and make this  my last comment on Florin. I honestly think we give him the benefit of the doubt time after time - multiple chances on proving himself. For three seasons people have done that, and IMO he just hasn't shown enough. Full stop. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'll try and make this  my last comment on Florin. I honestly think we give him the benefit of the doubt time after time - multiple chances on proving himself. For three seasons people have done that, and IMO he just hasn't shown enough. Full stop. 

Do you acknowledge that when he's been in the team consistently that he's been a good player? Agree that he's frustrating and all the rest, but for me he's been a good player when he's got into a rhythm. 

11 minutes ago, n i k o said:

So essentially he is a bloke who can't see out a full game, can't be rested for a game during a congested period for fear of him losing form and also a player who goes missing in big/tough games. Whilst I agree he definitely is a capable player, i feel his negatives definitely outweigh his positives, especially being a visa player.

PS, the above isn't directed at you was just easiest to reply to the last post in thread.

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I’ve heard Florin pays people on this forum.

The flo dillemma for myself keeps coming back to the same question:

Could've we found some local talent who is equal (or close to) able to give the output that he is giving us?

And I keep coming back to the same answer: Yes

The majority of the time he has been with us he has been injured, and whilst he has had some bright spots he has never proven to be consistent enough to be labelled a marquee, and earn the wages he currently is. Either we have placed too high of expectations on him, or he is not as good as we thought he would be.

22 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

The flo dillemma for myself keeps coming back to the same question:

Could've we found some local talent who is equal (or close to) able to give the output that he is giving us?

And I keep coming back to the same answer: Yes

The majority of the time he has been with us he has been injured, and whilst he has had some bright spots he has never proven to be consistent enough to be labelled a marquee, and earn the wages he currently is. Either we have placed too high of expectations on him, or he is not as good as we thought he would be.

Attacking midfielders out of lower leagues aren’t just going to come here boss the league, the clubs just has this wrong. In our system it’s a very crafty position where you are also expected to do your defensive duties. Luna isn’t as technical but contributes on different parts just better either in the press or directness and passing.

7 hours ago, haz said:

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's more about match flow. He plays well when given game time. I can tell you from experience, I've been involved in sport a long time. Some athletes can just play, almost irrespective of when they've last competed or trained. Other athletes miss a training session or miss a competitive match and be off their game or need a run of games to be at their peak.

You cannot relate working at a desk to competing in sport. 

But i agree, I wouldn't keep him past this season. I think we can do better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Attacking midfielders out of lower leagues aren’t just going to come here boss the league, the clubs just has this wrong. In our system it’s a very crafty position where you are also expected to do your defensive duties. Luna isn’t as technical but contributes on different parts just better either in the press or directness and passing.

Personally I don’t think the club ever thought Berenguer was going to boss the league.

Frankly I see “the problem” as you expecting the club to outlay a level of cash that they had no intention of spending. That situation is not the fault of Florin Berenguer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Personally I don’t think the club ever thought Berenguer was going to boss the league.

Frankly I see “the problem” as you expecting the club to outlay a level of cash that they had no intention of spending. That situation is not the fault of Florin Berenguer.

Wasn’t he announced and compared to Ninkovic? If you don’t think that why over pay him as marquee?

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Wasn’t he announced and compared to Ninkovic? If you don’t think that why over pay him as marquee?

Ninkovic. Not that I recall.

marquee. Thought you’d mention that. Surely you know the story behind that. He wasn’t a genuine marquee that was an artifact of how his contract was structured.

I think he’s largely been pretty good this year and is one of many reasons why we are league leaders.
I agree with @n i k o though. Unless he can show he’s still a genuine starter for next season I wouldn’t re-sign him as he needs to play every week. 

16 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

same story with our wingers, perhaps we can spend some genuine money on a real number 10 for next season?

The flip side is that if our youth academy is now scouting well locally and training players to a new level, then getting visa players of superior quality means that the club will have to go to a new level of wages/packages. It could also mean that we have fewer visa players and more local content.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

The flip side is that if our youth academy is now scouting well locally and training players to a new level, then getting visa players of superior quality means that the club will have to go to a new level of wages/packages. It could also mean that we have fewer visa players and more local content.

If this season can be repeated regularly the club will, and I think justifiably, say that a strategy of scouting the best local young talent and developing them though the best academy in Australia will give them local success without having to import expensive marquee and visa players.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I'd prefer fewer visas of better quality, it lifts the whole team. Imagine David Villa playing in this team, during his all too brief appearance most of his rune just not seen by our players then

• Like 1