Melbourne Football

Rate our visa players over the seasons

jw1739

I've covered seasons 2014/15 (first full season as CFG club), 2015/16, and 2016/17 so far and already have the following list:

2014/15:
Wielaert
Novillo
Koren
Duff
Germano
Villa
Miller
Safuwan
Jaliens

2015/16:
Sorensen
Hughes
Novillo
Fornaroli
Jaliens
Koren

2016/17
Sorensen
Muscat
Colazo
Jakobsen
Fornaroli
Brandan

Maybe someone would like to continue? It's a hell of a list.

I think we'll always have 1-2 duds each season. With a salary cap, all overseas players can't be on $500k+ each which results in 1-2 that aren't any better than a domestic player.

A completly random player pick, but Joey Champness vs Tsubaki. I'd assume both are on a similar amount, but the former is arguably a better player this season.

For 2014/15 - Novillo and Jaliens are stand out. Villa too short and the team was crap, I wonder how he would go in this season's team. Duff was good until the injury.

2015/2016: Much better list with Novillo, Fornaroli, Jaliens, Sorensen doing a good job.

2016/2017: Fornaroli, Jakobsen. Sorensen fell away this season.

2017/18
Jakobsen
Schenkeveld
Brandan
Fornaroli
Budzinski
McCormack

2018/19
Schenkeveld
De Laet
Fornaroli
Berenguer
O'Halloran
Harrison

2019/20
Windbichler
Hendry
Berenguer
Noone
Luna
Cabrera
Susaeta

Hope I haven't missed too many!

Edited by jw1739

For 2017/18 my pick would definitely be the fat Scotsman. Never have we had a dead ball marksman of that quality... Schenkeveld was pretty good too. Budzik was a fail and the others were on their way out.

2018/19 Schenk and De Laet were the standouts and Harrison was OK. 

19/20 the best were Luna and Windy. Didn't we have another South American winger that season? He had some decent games but didn't stay around too long. Susaeta was a fail for me, and Hendry was quality but got crocked almost as soon as he arrived.... 

12 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

For 2017/18 my pick would definitely be the fat Scotsman. Never have we had a dead ball marksman of that quality... Schenkeveld was pretty good too. Budzik was a fail and the others were on their way out.

19/20 the best were Luna and Windy. Didn't we have another South American winger that season? He had some decent games but didn't stay around too long. Susaeta was a fail for me, and Hendry was quality but got crocked almost as soon as he arrived.... 

Yep we had Cabrera

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

@fensaddler I think Cabrera? When a player leaves before the end of season it's easy to miss him!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

My votes:

Defenders: Jaliens, Schenkeveld and De Laet.
Forwards: Villa, Bruno, and Luna.
Young players: I really think we missed the boat with Safuwan and Harrison - IMO they would have blossomed with us.

Could be wrong re Harrison, but from what i recall both had deals in front of them to stay here and rejected them. Safuwan was interviewed last year I think and said it was his biggest regret in his career that he didn't re-sign here and stay on.
My personal view of him is that he was def worth another contract, but that he was also a bit overrated here due to scoring a couple goals and his willingness to dive in to rash challenges, which some people absolutely love as a trait.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Could be wrong re Harrison, but from what i recall both had deals in front of them to stay here and rejected them. Safuwan was interviewed last year I think and said it was his biggest regret in his career that he didn't re-sign here and stay on.
My personal view of him is that he was def worth another contract, but that he was also a bit overrated here due to scoring a couple goals and his willingness to dive in to rash challenges, which some people absolutely love as a trait.

My recollection was that he was a waking red card that showed genuine passion.

• Like 1