Melbourne Football

City vs Newcastle Jets 29/04/21 7:05

Shahanga

12 minutes ago, hyperfuzz said:

Sat behind the bench tonight. Seemed like the gaffer is really at his wits end with some of the decisions Glover is making. Very, very vocal.

I thought some of the stick he gave glover was undeserved. There was one where he cracked it for going long, but no players were movibg into space to receive the short ball.

8 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

I think we have become accustomed to wiping teams off the park. 3 points and on to next game.

Nevertheless I thought we were mediocre tonight. Newcastle were their own worst enemy by letting us have the ball. Our defence was very solid but I wasn't that impressed with the forwards. Luna was industrious but not very creative, Metcalfe seemed down on energy, Noone just predictable every time, and Nabbout faded. Jmac worked very hard but was nicely played by Topor-Stanley.

17 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Hated the soft goal we (Berenguer) gave away. That’s why it pays to have a buffer I guess.

Yeah, I was furious over that. That's the second time he's given away a goal by sloppy play in midfield. Needs his arse kicked.

Crowd was 4,314, pretty good for a Thursday evening. 19.05 is a really shit time for a kick-off - I noted that quite a few came in after the match had started.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Nevertheless I thought we were mediocre tonight. Newcastle were their own worst enemy by letting us have the ball. Our defence was very solid but I wasn't that impressed with the forwards. Luna was industrious but not very creative, Metcalfe seemed down on energy, Noone just predictable every time, and Nabbout faded. Jmac worked very hard but was nicely played by Topor-Stanley.

Yeah, I was furious over that. That's the second time he's given away a goal by sloppy play in midfield. Needs his arse kicked.

Crowd was 4,314, pretty good for a Thursday evening. 19.05 is a really shit time for a kick-off - I noted that quite a few came in after the match had started.

4314? Sure beats that pissy team from the west! I think the Sunday games will be a decent turn out. Parents that have kids that have school the following day were never going to come tonight.

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Particularly disappointing coming from a senior player who’d come off the bench. It’s not like he’s tired or anything.

My ratings of each player:

Glover - 8 - didn't have much to do and wasn't at fault for the goal.

Jamo - 9 - defensively very good and scored a great goal. Can't ask for more really from a left back. 

Good - 8 - like clockwork, solid reliable. 

Griffiths - 8 - some may disagree but he deserves an 8 for a couple of intercepts he made that would more than likely ended up goals for the Jets. 

Galloway - 7 - solid overall defensively, didn't provide that extra spark up the wing when I'm attack. Nonetheless proving to be a great back up for Atkinson. 

O'niel - 8 - solid and reliable on the ball, great physicality when in a duel for the ball. 

Metcalfe - 7 - beautifully struck shot denied by the post. Solid overall performance. 

Luna - 7 - solid overall.

Noone - 6 - come to expect more from our visa, he made some promising runs at defenders however without any end product. Give him a positive 6 only because we know how much more he can give. 

Nabbout - 8 - goal and an assist. Have to give him an 8. 

MacLaren - 7 - best striker in the league, higher expectations. Right place right time to tap in his goal for the game. Had an opportunity early in the game but scuffed the shot. Went missing for large chunks of the game. Would like to see him improve his evasive skills when taking on players. 

Subs

Frenchy - 4 - without the mistake would give him a 6. That mistake puts him at a generous 4.

Tilio - 7 - provided energy and some great runs taking on their defence. No end product this game unfortunately. 

Colakovski - 6 - tried hard, had difficulty getting into positions where he could show his attacking skills. 

Tsubaki - 6 - tidy on the ball in general but lacking any further productivity on the ball to make him stand out. 

*I can't pick who gave that through ball to Nabbout for the third goal but it was perfect. Could possibly give an extra point just for that. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, n i k o said:

*I can't pick who gave that through ball to Nabbout for the third goal but it was perfect. Could possibly give an extra point just for that. 

@n i k o Nice post.

It's at 1second in the clip of the third goal and 2.50 in the highlights. I can't quite read the number. IMO it must be Luna.

Edited by jw1739

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@n i k o Nice post.

It's at 1second in the clip of the third goal and 2.50 in the highlights. I can't quite read the number. IMO it must be Luna.

Yeh I checked it a few times. I think you and @Shahanga might be right. Jamo looks to pass to O' Niel so makes sense to be Luna. Give him an extra 0.5 mark up lol. 

Edited by n i k o

40 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yeh I checked it a few times. I think you and @Shahanga might be right. Jamo looks to pass to O' Niel so makes sense to be Luna. Give him an extra 0.5 mark up lol. 

My opinion is based on it being Luna is the two-digit number on the back of the shirt, hair colour and stature, and he uses his right foot. I need to withdraw my previous comment on him not being creative! But it doesn't change my MOTM choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My opinion is based on it being Luna is the two-digit number on the back of the shirt, hair colour and stature, and he uses his right foot. I need to withdraw my previous comment on him not being creative! But it doesn't change my MOTM choice.

Happened right in front of us. Was definitely Luna. Was a nice ball.