Melbourne Football

The Mathew Leckie hype thread

kingofhearts

2 hours ago, haz said:

I don't know what was wrong with him. Every time he received the ball, he'd either stop and pass backwards or walk the ball forwards. No drive at all. 

Nabbout has been guilty of this this season too. Last season everytime he'd get the ball he'd be attacking defenders. Certainly noticable.

• Like 1

Last night I had the opportunity to watch him closely and he definitely was off the pace. His speed, which has been a plus, was gone and an injured Risdon regularly tackled him. It didn't help that passing the ball to advantage was rare but against other players he could make his way out.

My take is that the game plan is obvious, there is no alternative for the players to go forward and when Nabbout stormed his way through, he'd commit a foul.

• 5 months later...

Well deserved bump... 

He may not have the glitzy stats eg. Goals/Assists... However he has had a really good start to the season so far and has been highly rated on the forum. 

Do people think the refs have been taking notice? Is he likely to be in current contention for the Johnny Warren at this point in time? 

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Well deserved bump... 

He may not have the glitzy stats eg. Goals/Assists... However he has had a really good start to the season so far and has been highly rated on the forum. 

Do people think the refs have been taking notice? Is he likely to be in current contention for the Johnny Warren at this point in time? 

Absolutely, 

The voting is from a panel of 4, 1 is a match official,  the other 3 are Sydney biased cronies that have already decided who this seasons winner is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Well deserved bump... 

he has been our most consistent contributor all season and really sets the standard for determination and controlled aggression on the pitch

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

he has been our most consistent contributor all season and really sets the standard for determination and controlled aggression on the pitch

Agreed. Very good at tracking back as well and not shy of putting the occasional tackle in.

It took me a while to get used to his style of play. It’s deceiving at times as it looks like he’s tripping over the ball or not fully in control of it but hey it seems to work!

It’s the Leckie we all expected him to be when he first joined. Saying that was good towards the latter part of the season too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Agreed. Very good at tracking back as well and not shy of putting the occasional tackle in.

It took me a while to get used to his style of play. It’s deceiving at times as it looks like he’s tripping over the ball or not fully in control of it but hey it seems to work!

It’s the Leckie we all expected him to be when he first joined. Saying that was good towards the latter part of the season too.

IMO he works much better being slotted in the midfield compared to being put out wide. If we could find him a permanent midfield spot then that would allow for tilio and nabbout to start. He's clearly our best decision maker on our team with the ball as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

IMO he works much better being slotted in the midfield compared to being put out wide. If we could find him a permanent midfield spot then that would allow for tilio and nabbout to start. He's clearly our best decision maker on our team with the ball as well.

Is the best midfield at the moment O'Neill, Van Der Venne and Leckie? The only problem with starting both Nabbout and Tilio is that we're probably going to need a genuine winger on the bench in addition to those two and I'm not sure who that is.

15 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

You know what, that could work. But I think a fully fit and firing Berenguer is still our best attacking midfielder, we don't really play a traditional #10, but what Leckie and Berenguer give in that role (when in form) is pretty formidable. Then you add Berisha who I think still has more upside to his game. Then at a pinch VDV, but from what I've seen so far he seems better a bit deeper, the more traditional box to box. So that really squeezes Tilio and Nabbout to battle for a wide role and having Leckie on the other.

We have a front 6 of true quality, Maclaren, Leckie, Nabbout, Tilio, Berisha, O'Neill, VDV,Berenguer and Gomulka. Thats 9 starting players that all are capable and deserve to start when fit and in form. Add Bos that I think will develop into more of a winger and Lam whom has played as 6. Not to mention our young blokes ready to go.

Anyone that says we haven't built a decent squad has got literally no idea.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Is the best midfield at the moment O'Neill, Van Der Venne and Leckie? The only problem with starting both Nabbout and Tilio is that we're probably going to need a genuine winger on the bench in addition to those two and I'm not sure who that is.

I would say so but perhaps depends on the opposition maybe.

Berisha started impressive but has faded away a little. 

33 minutes ago, Jovan said:

You know what, that could work. But I think a fully fit and firing Berenguer is still our best attacking midfielder, we don't really play a traditional #10, but what Leckie and Berenguer give in that role (when in form) is pretty formidable. Then you add Berisha who I think still has more upside to his game. Then at a pinch VDV, but from what I've seen so far he seems better a bit deeper, the more traditional box to box. So that really squeezes Tilio and Nabbout to battle for a wide role and having Leckie on the other.

We have a front 6 of true quality, Maclaren, Leckie, Nabbout, Tilio, Berisha, O'Neill, VDV,Berenguer and Gomulka. Thats 9 starting players that all are capable and deserve to start when fit and in form. Add Bos that I think will develop into more of a winger and Lam whom has played as 6. Not to mention our young blokes ready to go.

Anyone that says we haven't built a decent squad has got literally no idea.

Yeah VDV looks at least as good a replacement of Metcalf box to box role and arguably an improvement. Lam better than Griffiths, Berisha at least the equal of Luna. You've got to think this is the best squad we have had. This is pretty much a pat on the back for Petrillo or whoever does the signings. You've got to say they're on the right track signing visa players still in a prime age than crocks like Nani and The like who are really only here for a last pay cheque 

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Yeah VDV looks at least as good a replacement of Metcalf box to box role and arguably an improvement. Lam better than Griffiths, Berisha at least the equal of Luna. You've got to think this is the best squad we have had. This is pretty much a pat on the back for Petrillo or whoever does the signings. You've got to say they're on the right track signing visa players still in a prime age than crocks like Nani and The like who are really only here for a last pay cheque 

I’ll give Petrillo a pat on the back on its way out!

Nah joking,

After many years of never getting it quite right we can finally say that all visas are worthy of a starting spot!!

In this league when your marquees and all visas are all playing, history shows that you are aiming for top spot.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

In this league when your marquees and all visas are all playing, history shows that you are aiming for top spot.

And that is exactly where we currently find ourselves. Outright top. Also all the visas have basically directly contributed to a goal or a goal assist so far... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Oresti?

22 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Could also have Bos play there with Jameison and Galloway fighting over the left back spot.

Didn't Caputo come on recently and I think he looked alright, well he  didn't do anything wrong from memory. We also haven't seen much of Adus since his cameo where the kids ran rampant when we had all those injuries.

There's options, but our midfield is stacked atm, so I think we'll keep seeing Leckie on the wings more than not.

47 minutes ago, moops said:

Could also have Bos play there with Jameison and Galloway fighting over the left back spot.

Didn't Caputo come on recently and I think he looked alright, well he  didn't do anything wrong from memory. We also haven't seen much of Adus since his cameo where the kids ran rampant when we had all those injuries.

There's options, but our midfield is stacked atm, so I think we'll keep seeing Leckie on the wings more than not.

@moops  Adus has gone to Newcastle, much to the disappointment of a number of City fans.

Just as a side note, our club will be getting a big pay from FIFA, I had a look at Hearts forum and that's a big topic over there. 3 players seem to pay 600 pounds for getting to the WC and now every day following that win each player gets the club 9.7k pounds, 29k a day.

The club will be getting around 1Mil Au by the time we play the Argies, I've not done the math, just a guess.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, moops said:

Just as a side note, our club will be getting a big pay from FIFA, I had a look at Hearts forum and that's a big topic over there. 3 players seem to pay 600 pounds for getting to the WC and now every day following that win each player gets the club 9.7k pounds, 29k a day.

The club will be getting around 1Mil Au by the time we play the Argies, I've not done the math, just a guess.

For a second I thought you meant Melbourne Hearts :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
13 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yep certainly need some more depth/injury cover there!

Leckie seems to be becoming quite injury prone. Reckon he's going to retire after this season...

Maybe. Last February he was injured during an Access All Areas filming session, and now a "knock" in training in Dallas. Doesn't bode well for the future.

Edited by jw1739
  • Confused 1