Melbourne Football

The Mathew Leckie hype thread

kingofhearts

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm wondering whether he's unsettled at a personal/family level. Remember that Scottish guy we had for 6 months, barely played a minute for us and went back homesick? Can't remember his name now - played for St. Johnstone.

Sometimes these things happen. What with COVID affecting all of us it wouldn't surprise me.

Michael O'Halloran? Is that the guy? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that the criticism on Leckie has now also expanded to the wider soccer community - reading media and social media this morning. Being dubbed the new “Kruse”. They really emphasised that besides one through ball assist there was no end product, squandered opportunities and struggled to get pass small Vietnamese defenders plus went to ground too often when losing ball control.

What is interesting that for us City fans we weren’t too disappointed as our standard for him have been very low. It was a standard Leckie game based on the recent weeks with a little more energy but just not there yet. 

Man I want this man to fire up for us so bad.

Edited by Mr MO

17 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It's a bit unfair really, all returning Socceroos have such unrealistically high expectations put on their performance, it sets them up to disappoint

But are we getting value for money, considering he will be in the top 10 of best paid players in the league.

Secondly, Is perhaps our level isn't as low as people might think?

In my opinion this league is grunty and you don't get given a lot of time, it doesn't take a lot of talent just to closely mark Leckie - he seems to struggle with having a defender in his back at all time when played in the ball. This puts of his first touch off, makes him indecisive and have noticed he seems napping or surprised a defender jumps in front of him. He is much better when given more space (but everybody will be). European teams sometimes just letting each other play their game before clashing in.

Edited by Mr MO

The other thing we neglect to consider is recent history of continual game time. I think that's the problem with both Leckie and Pucciarelli, both spent significant time recently out of favour or on bench or with injury.This sort of counts with Jenko to so we might have to temper our expectations with him as well

It is true that returning Socceroos have much higher expectations but so what? Being elite means having expectations placed on you. Then there are the number of times where he is flat footed - certainly against Vietnam I saw two passages where his opponent reacted before he even realised the ball was there for him. As to whether he is match unfit - most likely but then so is teh rest of the team and as a professional he needs to get there and as a senior player on a good salary even more so.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

It is true that returning Socceroos have much higher expectations but so what? Being elite means having expectations placed on you. Then there are the number of times where he is flat footed - certainly against Vietnam I saw two passages where his opponent reacted before he even realised the ball was there for him. As to whether he is match unfit - most likely but then so is teh rest of the team and as a professional he needs to get there and as a senior player on a good salary even more so.

The 'so what' is that fans become angry at returning Socceroos for not living up to their expectations, it may be that those expectations are unrealistic. I thought that his Socceroos performance was very good, I'll be happy if he can offer that to us most weeks.

12 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We've just overrated this guy dearly unfortunately.

Was a great player in his day, he's just a slightly less shit Craig noone these days.

I watched most of the match last night, first time I've watched TV for about three years. I thought Leckie looked clumsy and uncoordinated, and unhappy as well, and IMO this fits his record over the past two seasons in Germany and his time so far with us. We'd have been better off signing the Vietnamese left-winger for less than a tenth of the cost. The Viets were a joy to watch coming forward on the counter attack, and I loved the way their fans were really into it, despite the scoreline and the pouring rain. The way football should be played and enjoyed by everyone.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Was a great player in his day, he's just a slightly less shit Craig noone these days.

Spot on.

He's marquee right? Marquee status and pay rate come with such expectations unfortunately not necessary Socceroo caps. For the money he might be on and the out of cap marquee spot it just not good enough SO FAR but we've made a bit of habit of that anyway with marquee players. I believe people have the right be critical, the chances are that you can get a lot better for that money.

Craig Noone was under the cap.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 28/01/2022 at 7:44 PM, Mr MO said:

Spot on.

He's marquee right? Marquee status and pay rate come with such expectations unfortunately not necessary Socceroo caps. For the money he might be on and the out of cap marquee spot it just not good enough SO FAR but we've made a bit of habit of that anyway with marquee players. I believe people have the right be critical, the chances are that you can get a lot better for that money.

Craig Noone was under the cap.

Wow what a difference a month can make in football! 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO this is where we are going to see what sort of manager PK actually is - one of his starting players is not available. What's he going to do? I would like to see Endoh come in.

He will just use Tilio I expect, just like earlier in the season when Leckie was out against Victory. O’Neill back in too.

No further changes - stick to Eric’s system, just work harder, listen to my confusing sideline barking, play until you cramp up or drop dead. For those on the bench, Pucci is bringing the Anti pesto again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/01/2022 at 7:16 PM, kingofhearts said:

Just for the record sir, you were wrong!

On 03/08/2021 at 5:52 PM, kingofhearts said:

He's overrated as hell.

Just an Aussie version of Rutger worm.

2/10 signing

Mmmmm

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

My account was hacked! Yes that's it.....

Very happy to have egg on my face, has really come into his own after having a rough start.

To be fair to you, it's a different Mathew Leckie that we're seeing now, just as we are not watching the same Florin that we saw in his first two seasons with us. They are showing pace, skills, alertness and self-belief that weren't there in the earlier days. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

To be fair to you, it's a different Mathew Leckie that we're seeing now, just as we are not watching the same Florin that we saw in his first two seasons with us. They are showing pace, skills, alertness and self-belief that weren't there in the earlier days. 

Either project players or maybe PK can coach?

He arrived, having played little first-team football in his last season in Berlin. he needed game time, but we needed to balance that against results and they weren't there early in the season. The outcome suggests that PK's decision to keep him on the pitch has led to the desired results, but perhaps substituting him or using him early from the bench in those early games may have led to the same outcome now as well as better early match outcomes. It's academic now of course, but my criticism wasn't really of Leckie, more about how he was being used.

I believe, as I stated through the season, that he needed time. I also believe that by the half way point there was concerns over his output in relation to his status as a player and the critisicm was certainly warranted for disussion. Time has shown that he has come very good. That was an absolute peach of a goal with the dink over the opposing player to set up the volley like strike. Just fantastic. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A shocker last night.

I don't know what was wrong with him. Every time he received the ball, he'd either stop and pass backwards or walk the ball forwards. No drive at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

I don't know what was wrong with him. Every time he received the ball, he'd either stop and pass backwards or walk the ball forwards. No drive at all. 

I’ve noticed he often seems of balance, when he receives the ball it takes a second too long for proper control and then it looks like he’s about to trip or stumble over.

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’ve noticed he often seems of balance, when he receives the ball it takes a second too long for proper control and then it looks like he’s about to trip or stumble over.

I don't think he was alone there. There seemed to be quite a few moments when a City player was trying to dig the ball out from under their feet. Jenkinson and Metcalfe perhaps? Our slick, quick passing movements from last season have all but disappeared. We had a couple last night in the second half and opened up WU on each occasion, but it was all too rare.