Glover
Atkinson, Reis, Good, Jamieson
O'Neil
Tillio, Metcalfe
Leckie, Maclaren, Nabbout

Bench
Sutton, Galloway, Garrucio, Griffiths, Gormluka, Colakovski, Najjarine

This would be scary for next season

Still hold out hope we might keep Luna but his family is overseas. I think we need another creative midfielder 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Would be interesting to see our balance sheet to see the marquees and how each is allocated. Tend to agree we might need to look at cheaper option to replace Luna. 

We have no idea what the various players might be on, there's no way of finding out (unless a player divulges that to you) and we don't need to know. Best to leave that to Petrillo etc. I'd be certain that City/CFG are squeaky clean on the issue of finances - we're the obvious target for investigation. These days the "marquee" status is just a player who is paid outside the cap. It does not necessarily reflect their playing skills - although it often does.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We have no idea what the various players might be on, there's no way of finding out (unless a player divulges that to you) and we don't need to know. Best to leave that to Petrillo etc. I'd be certain that City/CFG are squeaky clean on the issue of finances - we're the obvious target for investigation. These days the "marquee" status is just a player who is paid outside the cap. It does not necessarily reflect their playing skills - although it often does.

I wish the A league would publish salary data like the MLS do

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Why?

Do your employers publish yours?

I guess the slight difference is that our employers don’t have to adhere to a salary cap to guard competitiveness of the companies. In Europe it’s fairly common disclose more details on contracts too. 

2 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Christ on a raft, Leckie has looked good in his two most recent outings for Australia. 

But can he also do it on a rainy day in Newcastle?

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

On 06/06/2021 at 3:15 PM, fiji19 said:

I wish the A league would publish salary data like the MLS do

I'm not sure that this is a good idea. It's an invasion of privacy for starters. And I suspect that a lot of the published "data" is nowhere near the truth.

I'd far rather see the salaries of the nincompoops running football in this country than the players, because I know far more about what the latter do than the former.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure that this is a good idea. It's an invasion of privacy for starters. And I suspect that a lot of the published "data" is nowhere near the truth.

I'd far rather see the salaries of the nincompoops running football in this country than the players, because I know far more about what the latter do than the former.

Well the least thing they should do better is to disclose marquees and now the upcoming designated players at the start of the season.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Well the least thing they should do better is to disclose marquees and now the upcoming designated players at the start of the season.

I tend to agree. IMO at the moment football administrators leave too many unanswered questions. A great song and dance was made over Australian Professional Leagues but I haven't yet found an APL website, seen an organisation chart, seen any real changes announced, or really anything much at all. There's plenty of speculation over such things as whether we'll have summer or winter football, transfer fees (what happened there?) and so on in the media - you mention "designated players" and that's a perfect example of what I mean, but I don't find somewhere where it's all drawn together. It's as if fans are not part of the football equation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think Leckie by himself is going to be enough in the way of signings in the defence of our two titles. Noone and Luna are two fairly big departures. I'm not even sure that we've got the minimum number of players? 

Well Leckie replaces Noone so we just need to replace Luna to be on par. I’m hoping we go beyond that of course and make last years team even stronger. We should have loyalty players now as well.

Edited by Mr MO

21 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Well Leckie replaces Noone so we just need to replace Luna to be on par. I’m hoping we beyond that of course and make last years team even stronger. We should have loyalty players now as well.

https://kick360.com.au/director-of-football-michael-petrillo-on-securing-citys-long-term-future/

Petrillo before the GF basically said we will make 1 maybe 2 more signings to add. Imo think we will a creative midfielder  and defender.

Lesiotis who was out of contract think he will be re-signed as well. 

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Well Leckie replaces Noone so we just need to replace Luna to be on par. I’m hoping we go beyond that of course and make last years team even stronger. We should have loyalty players now as well.

I confess that Leckie has never been on my radar, so I don't know much about him. Do you rate him as highly as Noone?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I confess that Leckie has never been on my radar, so I don't know much about him. Do you rate him as highly as Noone?

Leckie is a solid player. His numbers in the Bundesliga were ok but obviously that level is quite a bit above ours. They were better in the second division in Germany, which would be a lot closer to ours. I suspect that he’ll be a very good player in this league, given that’s he’s only 30 and still has his pace. For the Socceroos he’s been a solid performer for a long time.

We will have to wait and see how he combines with Maclaren and Nabbout. We saw Noone go to another level when Nabbout was in form. Whether the balance between both wings is maintained, I’m not sure. It could take a little bit of time but that front three is the best in the league on paper (at this stage). I can see 50 league goals between them if they can all stay fit. Big call yes, but that’s how confident I am. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Mathew Leckie has decided to withdraw from the national side indefinitely due to the quarantine measures required by the Australian government for international travel.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/i-was-devastated-socceroos-captain-withdraws-from-team-indefinitely-20210827-p58mgt.html?__twitter_impression=true

From what Maclaren said about it, I don’t think Leckie will be the only one. 
Asking a lot of our players.

Actually i think he is fully committed and out to prove any doubters in OZ.

He wont have any interuptions to his game time now that he has pulled out of the WC Qualifiers, so i am looking forward to seeing him bomb up and down the flanks.

Full pre season under huis belt and will smash it. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Has this guy forgotten how to play football? Serious question. He looks awful out there.

8 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Something very wrong. We're nowhere near.

I'm wondering whether he's unsettled at a personal/family level. Remember that Scottish guy we had for 6 months, barely played a minute for us and went back homesick? Can't remember his name now - played for St. Johnstone.

Sometimes these things happen. What with COVID affecting all of us it wouldn't surprise me.