Melbourne Football

Lisa De Vanna

Murfy1

Matildas captain Lisa de Vanna's club future up in air after W-League title win

1 February 2016

Matildas captain Lisa De Vanna is without a club in the wake of Melbourne City’sW-League triumph, with no plans to sign up anywhere soon. De Vanna, 31, has not committed to City for the club’s title defence.

She has yet to decide whether to submit her body to the rigours of a National Women’s Soccer League season in the United States – widely considered the world’s best women’s football league.

De Vanna performed heroics at the World Cup in Canada last June, captaining Australia in each match despite an ankle injury so severe she could barely train between matches. The mercurial forward has not enjoyed an injury-free W-League campaign and it’s those issues that are front of mind when considering her playing future.

“I haven’t decided where I want to go,” De Vanna told AAP. “Am I interested [in playing in America]? Yes and no. My concern is that I’m not 21 and they play on [artificial] turf. I have to think of a club where I’m going to get good football and they care about my body.”

De Vanna’s potential departure is a headache for City coach Joe Montemurro, who has already lost Scottish international Kim Little for next season.

De Vanna is open to staying within the City football family, and spending a season in the English Women’s Super League. But it’s Olympic qualifiers that are occupying her mind. The Matildas saddle up for do-or-die qualifiers in Japan beginning 29 February. Asia’s best six teams play a round-robin tournament, with the top three progressing to Brazil for the Games.

De Vanna, who left open the possibility of walking away from the game, said she will discuss her future with Australian coach Alen Stajcic.

“For me, there is nothing more important than qualifying for a major event like the Olympics,” she said. “It’d be nice to go to Manchester City and stay with an ally. I’m going to talk to Staj and he can tell me what he thinks because my priority is my country.”

De Vanna played a devastating hand in Melbourne City’s 4-1 grand final triumph against Sydney FC on Sunday. She played in Beattie Goad for the team’s third goal and finished the rout with a tearaway run and goal in injury time.

Perhaps surprisingly, she said the side’s grand final win wasn’t their finest accomplishment. “We talk about grand finals and winning it, of course that’s big,” she said. “The biggest thing is that we went through the season undefeated. The grand final was the icing on the cake. To finally be W-League champions is a great feeling.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/01/matildas-captain-lisa-de-vannas-club-future-up-in-air-after-w-league-title-win

• 1 month later...

Apparently has been re-signed for next season:

The top 10 Australian women dominating world sport

March 8, 2016

By Melanie Dinjaski

TO celebrate International Women’s Day, we take a look at the top 10 female athletes from Australia who are dominating world sport.

[...]

LISA DE VANNA

Three World Cup appearances (scoring at least one goal at each tournament), one Asian Cup title, a FIFA Puskas Award nomination, three W-League Championships and a historic 2016 Olympics qualification — it’s not hard to see why De Vanna is considered one of the greatest ever Australian footballers. And the speedy striker doesn’t look like slowing down any time soon. The Matildas co-captain was instrumental in helping the national team qualify for the Rio Olympics for their first Games appearance in 12 years and will be key to their medal hopes. De Vanna is also set to return as captain of Melbourne City in the W-League, after completing an undefeated championship-winning season last year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/the-top-10-australian-women-dominating-world-sport/news-story/7ecf754cb8032feffc3a26b0ee141155

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Suggestion that De Vanna has signed a contract with an overseas club. Although it's unclear whether it's short-term or not:

Women’s sport: Meet Melbourne’s captains of change

March 25, 2016 9:00pm

Jackie Epstein

[...]

LISA DE VANNA

MATILDAS captain Lisa De Vanna put her life on hold to achieve the ultimate reward.

She didn’t hesitate, or contemplate that it wouldn’t be worth it. The Matildas qualified for this year’s Rio Olympics with victory over Japan just two weeks ago, the first time since 2004.

“It was probably one of my most stressful moments,’’ says De Vanna, 31, who has been playing for Melbourne City in the W-League. “Your whole life depends on this moment and once it was done it was hard to describe. We hadn’t done it for 12 years and I’m the lone survivor from that time.

“I put my life on hold for this tournament. I didn’t care. It was the biggest thing for me and I didn’t want any distractions. It was the first time I have actually stopped my whole life and gone, ‘This is what I want.’ I didn’t have a ‘what if’ scenario because I was so determined to qualify.’’

De Vanna, back practising at her local ground in Keilor, has at times worked at a petrol station and with children who have intellectual disabilities.

She has been frustrated by the lack of recognition, but also understands it. “I think it’s ridiculous how much money the men do get paid compared to the women, but at the same time they bring in the money, their jumpers are the ones being sold, so I understand.

“But it’s also not like it’s a $10-12,000 difference, which makes it frustrating.”

With a new contract just signed to play overseas, De Vanna’s salary will markedly improve. If the Matildas can achieve Olympic success, she says the potential to grow will be enormous.

“It’s so surreal. When you say it out loud I actually can’t stop smiling,’’ she says. “I definitely think we can win a medal and to me it doesn’t matter what colour — it’s all like gold to me.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/womens-sport-meet-melbournes-captains-of-change/news-story/925a849539cf233879bdf29e61d936ca

With the lack of investment into women's football at a senior level - the ridiculous salary cap, short season, and absence of even basic facilities in some cases - it will be virtually impossible to attract quality players to Australia and hold them here. I'm thinking that Season One for City's women's team will be the only one where we'll see the likes of De Vanna, Fishlock, Little and Beattie plus our own rising stars in one team.

5 hours ago, fidrildid6 said:

I always thought the idea was, with such a short season, players would play in the W-League for 4 months and instead of having an 8-month off season, go and play in an overseas league, with every chance they could come back for the next W-League season. But correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you're not wrong, and IMO this is FFA's thinking. Which means that as those overseas competitions expand - as we are seeing with the NWSL - the players will no longer be available for the W-League and we will be squeezed out. 

• Like 1

Part of the recent bargaining dispute was that the Matildas were unhappy that the FFA required them to play in the w-league as part of their Matildas contract, but I don't know if that provision is still in force. I think it is?

It doesn't seem sustainable long term to rely on players being happy to skip having an off season and play with us when other leagues have their offseason, particularly as other leagues get more demanding.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

http://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2016/08/29/orlando-pride-sign-australia-wnt-forward-lisa-de-vanna

Orlando Pride Sign Australia WNT Forward Lisa De Vanna

ORLANDO, Fla. (August 29, 2016) – Orlando Pride has added one of the world’s best strikers to its roster, signing Australia Women’s National Team captain Lisa De Vanna. De Vanna will join the Pride pending receipt of her P-1 visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC). Per team and league policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“We're delighted to sign a player of Lisa's quality to add to the depth of the team and our attacking presence,” Pride Head Coach Tom Sermanni said.  “Lisa is a world-class player, a game-changer and I’m looking forward to coaching her again.”

“I am incredibly happy to be joining the Orlando Pride and keen to be working with Tommy again,” De Vanna said of her signing. “I’m looking forward to joining the team. It’s exciting to be a part of a new team and will do my best to help the squad for the rest of the season.”

De Vanna, 31, joins the Pride after leading Australia to its first Olympic quarterfinal appearance since 2004, ultimately bowing out to host Brazil in penalty kicks. A native of Perth, De Vanna ranks as one of Australia’s best scorers with 40 goals in her 117 international caps, which are second and third all-time, respectively. 

She made her senior team debut in 2004 and played under Sermanni during his tenure as Australia’s head coach from 2005-2012. 

Last summer, De Vanna became the first Australian to score in three straight FIFA Women’s World Cup competitions and, after posting two goals at the 2015 World Cup, was named to the tournament’s all-star squad. In 2013, she was named Female Footballer of the Year by the Football Federation of Australia. 

In February 2013, De Vanna signed with Sky Blue FC for the inaugural National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) season. A trade during the 2013-14 offseason saw De Vanna join the Boston Breakers, where she totaled six appearances before moving to the Washington Spirit. Over her two seasons in the NWSL, De Vanna scored six goals and seven assists, including a bicycle-kick goal on June 5, 2013 that earned a nomination for the coveted Puskas Award - FIFA’s recognition for the best goal of the year.

De Vanna becomes the third Matilda’s player on the Pride roster, joining fellow Aussies Steph Catley and Laura Alleway in Orlando. The trio will be reunited after posting an undefeated record during the 2015-16 W-League campaign, leading Melbourne City FC to the Westfield W-League championship in the club’s inaugural year.  

De Vanna began her professional club career in 2006 after signing with Doncaster Rover Belles of the English Premier League. After a season in Sweden, De Vanna joined the W-League of her home country, playing for Perth Glory. 

The forward was selected 18th overall in the 2008 WPS International Draft by the Washington Freedom. She played with the Club until WPS suspended operations, spending offseasons in the W-League. After the final WPS season in 2011, De Vanna signed with Swedish side Linköpings FC. Over a 10-year club career, De Vanna also featured for the W-League’s Brisbane Roar, Newcastle Jets and Melbourne Victory, winning championships in the 2010-11, 2013-14 and 2015-16 seasons. 

Orlando Pride will play its final two games on the road, first on Sept. 3 at Houston then on Sept. 7 at Sky Blue FC, before closing out the 2016 regular season with two home games. The Pride return to Camping World Stadium on Sept. 10 to host Sky Blue in the second leg of a home-and-home series. 

Tickets to remaining Orlando home matches are available at orlando-pride.com or by calling (855) ORL-CITY. 

Lisa De Vanna
Jersey Number: 10
Position: Forward
Height: 5-1
Born: November 14, 1984 in Fremantle, Australia
Hometown: Perth, Australia
Citizenship: Australia
College: n/a
Acquired: Signed via Discovery on August 29, 2016

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...