Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

10 minutes ago, haz said:

Imagine the offer from Sydney was purely just to stir shit up

Yeh can't say i know too much around that, but i dont think the offer itself would have affected anyone. However if Bruno, or his manager for that matter, started trying to use it as leverage against the club to up his deal then i can imagine that wouldnt be received too well, particularly after a season of being injured and a noticeable change in attitude.

4 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The role of a coach to to understand the psychological motivations, strengths and vulnerabilities of every player and use that understanding to motivate individuals, and, to form a cohesive working group. Every player in the group has some responsibility to do that, but, as the team manager, it was specifically a core component of Wazza's job. Rather than understand and work with Bruno, or, for that matter, Kilkenny or any of the others, he drove them out and sought to sign compliant players. Poor management

Won't get any arguments from me that Joyce didn't play his part in where it all went.

But im not having the poor Bruno shit that some people like to buy into either. He made his bed and subsequently had to lie in it.

And ultimately the only victims in all of it were the fans.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 4

Conte had a falling out with Diego Costa and still played him because the TEAM needed him and he was the best player for the position.

Regardless of the circumstances, the Manager needs to put the team's success in front of his own ego. A good manager will always do that.

He should have played him until the next transfer window and then let him go.

Wazza was garbage for the club, for the players, for the fans and for the A-league.

An absolute moron.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Conte had a falling out with Diego Costa and still played him because the TEAM needed him and he was the best player for the position.

Regardless of the circumstances, the Manager needs to put the team's success in front of his own ego. A good manager will always do that.

He should have played him until the next transfer window and then let him go.

Wazza was garbage for the club, for the players, for the fans and for the A-league.

An absolute moron.

On one hand I agree but disagree with the other. The thing is if certain conditions were arranged as a squad that all players had to adhere to Joyce set these conditions as being black and white then it would have been a double edged sword for him.

For example if you, playmaker, were in charge of a squad and you felt behavior, attitude, commitment etc. were sub par and you made agreements with your team that if they don't adhere to them then everyone agrees they don't play, would you ignore this policy set early on? What would the other players think of the double standard and how would they react? 

Ultimately it's his fault in how he managed the team overall. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

On one hand I agree but disagree with the other. The thing is if certain conditions were arranged as a squad that all players had to adhere to Joyce set these conditions as being black and white then it would have been a double edged sword for him.

For example if you, playmaker, were in charge of a squad and you felt behavior, attitude, commitment etc. were sub par and you made agreements with your team that if they don't adhere to them then everyone agrees they don't play, would you ignore this policy set early on? What would the other players think of the double standard and how would they react? 

Very true but what if those conditions were changed with no warning or reason? And those conditions just happened to rule out certain players even after they meet the first conditions set.

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'm not saying this to specifically defend Bruno, but the conditions for a player returning from a season long layoff should be different from those on a fit 21 year old, especially if he's an older player

3 hours ago, AXIOM said:

Very true but what if those conditions were changed with no warning or reason? And those conditions just happened to rule out certain players even after they meet the first conditions set.

Then the change of conditions would now likely be known by the entire playing group. Maybe you can elaborate on the point you're making?

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I'm not saying this to specifically defend Bruno, but the conditions for a player returning from a season long layoff should be different from those on a fit 21 year old, especially if he's an older player

Agree. Everything points to Joyce playing hardball and there being no grey area. You're either on board or you're not. He gambled and this approach didn't work and lost him many players. I made the point back during his tenure that you can get away with this approach with juniors but not with seniors. 

3 hours ago, AXIOM said:

Is there any evidence whatsoever that the conditions were changed unilaterally? IIRC, the information we were given was to the effect that all the players signed off on an agreement before the start of the season.

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

See above. Joyce's argument was that he had signed an agreement but didn't keep to it.

We also don't know the nature or content of the agreement. Perhaps the conditions for an individual player were specifically tailored to that player?

All we really know is that whatever happened wasn't brought under control and was allowed to fester. A very poor episode indeed, which IMO shows the whole management line above Joyce at City last season to be inept.

I don't see the point in debating it any further. Fornaroli is now a Perth player and I'm beastly careless about him.

Just now, jw1739 said:

Is there any evidence whatsoever that the conditions were changed unilaterally? IIRC, the information we were given was to the effect that all the players signed off on an agreement before the start of the season.

See above. Joyce's argument was that he had signed an agreement but didn't keep to it.

We also don't know the nature or content of the agreement. Perhaps the conditions for an individual player were specifically tailored to that player?

All we really know is that whatever happened wasn't brought under control and was allowed to fester. A very poor episode indeed, which IMO shows the whole management line above Joyce at City last season to be inept.

I don't see the point in debating it any further. Fornaroli is now a Perth player and I'm beastly careless about him.

My feeling is that an agreement was signed. Fair enough. The sticking point was the shit football Joyce brought as well. Im sure it was this that broke the foundation he tried to lay for a good part of his tenure. This is the part I side with Bruno. Results are shit, players are fulfilling their part of the agreement but the coaches handling of them and the style of football ultimately is the metaphorical straw that breaks the camels back. 

4 minutes ago, n i k o said:

My feeling is that an agreement was signed. Fair enough. The sticking point was the shit football Joyce brought as well. Im sure it was this that broke the foundation he tried to lay for a good part of his tenure. This is the part I side with Bruno. Results are shit, players are fulfilling their part of the agreement but the coaches handling of them and the style of football ultimately is the metaphorical straw that breaks the camels back. 

Maybe, but it's not as if this was Joyce's first season. It was his second. Players such as Bruno should have known what he was like.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Totally agree.

However one of the highest metrics I would place on the individual and the team is

ON-FIELD PERFORMANCE.

The rest of the Wazza-type metrics would be of minimal significance if on the field everyone was doing their job and the team was harmonious.

Also given Bruno was our best player and our only striker, the manager's job is to ensure that he was fit, understood the match day tactical concepts, and assess his value based on his on-field performance over time and then MANAGE IT.

The senior players have already proven their worth on the pitch and should be treated as such, the B level players need to treated differently and to EARN their spot on the pitch through on-field performances when given the opportunity.

You can't treat both the same and any manager that thinks thinks they can is delusional.

Anyway past is past and good to see Wazza is far far away from here now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Totally agree.

However one of the highest metrics I would place on the individual and the team is

ON-FIELD PERFORMANCE.

The rest of the Wazza-type metrics would be of minimal significance if on the field everyone was doing their job and the team was harmonious.

Also given Bruno was our best player and our only striker, the manager's job is to ensure that he was fit, understood the match day tactical concepts, and assess his value based on his on-field performance over time and then MANAGE IT.

The senior players have already proven their worth on the pitch and should be treated as such, the B level players need to treated differently and to EARN their spot on the pitch through on-field performances when given the opportunity.

You can't treat both the same and any manager that thinks thinks they can is delusional.

Anyway past is past and good to see Wazza is far far away from here now.

Bit of an anomaly, isn't it, when you hound your best-ever striker and marquee out of the club only to see Croissant become a club marquee player...?

When you get away from "who did what to whom?" and "Who's to blame?"details, and look at the Fornaroli affair with a wider perspective, it really was a sorry episode in the club's history.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

and look at the Fornaroli affair with a wider perspective

only to see Croissant become a club marquee player...?

Exactly.

A dog's vomit looks more organised and rational than what transpired here as a whole.

Anyway let's move on and hope that this situation never gets repeated.

As for the Florin issue, he needs to be on the pitch  and  be one of our best players or he needs to be let go in January.

We can't afford a mediocre marquee in our team if we want to win the league.

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

.....Also given Bruno was our best player and our only striker, the manager's job is to ensure that he was fit, understood the match day tactical concepts, and assess his value based on his on-field performance over time and then MANAGE IT.....

Seriously??? What, you expected WJ to be by his side 24/7 to ensure he ate, slept and shat properly too?

Come off it...

On 05/12/2019 at 9:27 AM, rass said:

Seriously??? What, you expected WJ to be by his side 24/7 to ensure he ate, slept and shat properly too?

Come off it...

Sorry I should have elaborated.

He needs to assess that he is able to do his job on the pitch. His job is to score goals.

Remember that fat Scotsman that came here and destroyed the league? I do. 

14 goals in 17 Appearances but let's not play him because he had a large pizza and 4 pots the night before the games.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

WHY FRIDAY NIGHT MEANT MORE TO FORNAROLI THAN ANY TROPHY

By Joey Lynch
Dec 7 2019 9:00AM

Perth Glory’s win over Melbourne City is going to go down as one of Bruno Fornaroli’s favourite moments of his career – but not for the reason you might expect.

Shrugging off a disappointing run of form that saw Glory go into the round bottom of the league, Glory absorbed everything City could throw at them on Friday night before striking back through goals from Fornaroli, Tomislav Mrcela and an own-goal from Harrison Delbridge.

It was the first time Fornaroli had come up against the side where he became an A-League legend since being forced out by former coach Warren Joyce.

However, after he outmuscled Delbridge to head in a ball in the 27th minute of the first half, it was quickly apparent  the Urugyuan striker was not in Victoria on a revenge mission.

Running over towards Glory’s travelling fans in the aftermath of his goal, the normally fiery Fornaroli’s celebration was uncharacteristically muted.

It was a respectful gesture that was returned in kind by the City fans.

There was no booing of Fornaroli from the home supporters when he came close to the ball on Friday night and at several times anti-Joyce chants could be heard emanating from the City active support.

When it eventually came time for the striker to depart the field in the 87th minute, he was met with a standing ovation from his former fanbase – showing their respect towards a man that scored 48 goals across 70 appearances in a City shirt.

Speaking to journalists after the game, the emotional value of that ovation to the 32-year-old became clear.

“For me, it’s crazy,” he said. “To see the love the fans have for me I think it’s the best. It’s the best.

“[It means] more than than the title you can win, more than the trophies you can win. In the end, football is this, I prefer this.

“Maybe, someone will one day win a trophy for [City] and no one will remember him and no one will say goodbye or hello. But the feeling that I had in my last minute – nothing can compare.

“For me, it was the best feeling I had tonight.”

Observing Fornaroli in the bowels of AAMI Park following the game, it was clear that he was still held in high regard by those that remained at City’s Bundoora headquarters.

Genuine hugs, jokes, smiles and stories were shared between former teammates and members of City’s staff and the striker. 

Just before he headed to the Glory team bus, Fornaroli paused to reconnect with a number of City’s younger players that were also headed for the exit.

They were players that no doubt would have sat far below him on the totem pole when he was in Bundoora but, regardless, remained his protégés to nurture and encourage.

“I enjoyed coming back here and seeing the people,” Fornaroli explained.

“It’s nice when you see the people that you love, and I have a lot of people inside the club.

"As soon as I close the door tonight, and I see the people I feel like I’m home and this is great for me. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, HughJass said:

I thought we've been through this multiple times in the past.... Fornaroli isn't eligible because he played in the Uruguay Youth Teams whilst only having a single citizenship. 

Official A-Leagues account confirming the news via Richard Garcia. 

Reeks of desperation but I fucking love this. Been such a problem position for so long and I think Bruno will add something the Socceroos genuinely don't have.

51 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

It's interesting that no one put any hope on the league Golden Boot.

Tbh, Fornaroli and Maclaren are very different strikers - and Bruno probably lends himself more to the Socceroos' style of play than Jamie.

That said, I kinda hope things get so desperate to the point that they both play. Would be pretty mad seeing my two favourite ever A-League players playing together.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Was his wedding postponed?

I think it was meant to be last year on the weekend Melbourne went back into lockdown. He may have still gotten married but i am assuming this time around is the "proper wedding" where everyone else gets to come. i may be wrong though, just something i heard on twitter or the like. 

3 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

I think it was meant to be last year on the weekend Melbourne went back into lockdown. He may have still gotten married but i am assuming this time around is the "proper wedding" where everyone else gets to come. i may be wrong though, just something i heard on twitter or the like. 

Reception rather than registration.

Anyway, on the subject of Bruno, I'm chuffed for him, and still bitter than he and Joyce couldn't resolve the dispute between them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Reception rather than registration.

Anyway, on the subject of Bruno, I'm chuffed for him, and still bitter than he and Joyce couldn't resolve the dispute between them.

Will they show his debut game on Octopus Sport?

• Haha 2

• 7 months later...
  • jw1739 locked this topic