Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

I’m happy he plays there now, if he won’t change his game plan quickly he will struggle again. Attempting to hold up play, falling over, loosing the ball, going for the right foot curler. Easy to defend if he doesn’t change. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

In hindsight this is looking like a good deal for us. If the whole Bruno situation didn't unfold we would've been highly unlikely to be in the market for MacLaren in January and he would've gone elsewhere.

After 5 games against what  includes 4 sides that look like they'll be bottom 4 (Brisbane, Wellington, CCM and Newcastle) Bruno's got a solitary goal and has been a peripheral figure in most of the games except the Wellington game where he scored and probably should've had a few more. Getting dragged with 15 minutes remaining yesterday when a goal down for a 16 year old debutant is hardly a confidence booster, but he's lucky he's got Castro and Ikonomidis to provide him service so he'll score goals but right now Perth look a shadow of the team they were last season and the pressure is starting to mount.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

In hindsight this is looking like a good deal for us. If the whole Bruno situation didn't unfold we would've been highly unlikely to be in the market for MacLaren in January and he would've gone elsewhere.

After 5 games against what  includes 4 sides that look like they'll be bottom 4 (Brisbane, Wellington, CCM and Newcastle) Bruno's got a solitary goal and has been a peripheral figure in most of the games except the Wellington game where he scored and probably should've had a few more. Getting dragged with 15 minutes remaining yesterday when a goal down for a 16 year old debutant is hardly a confidence booster, but he's lucky he's got Castro and Ikonomidis to provide him service so he'll score goals but right now Perth look a shadow of the team they were last season and the pressure is starting to mount.

1 goal in 5 matches isn’t what he produced for us, but to be fair on him Castro and ikon are getting in his way a fair bit. 

very good point with JMac maybe the club had noticed something in the decline of Bruno would still rather have him on our books than a couple of our current Visas 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/04/bruno-fornaroli-debacle-exposes-melbourne-citys-soullessness

I suspect that at the age of 32 Bruno won't be again the player he was in that golden season he had with us. He'll still score goals, but won't be the force he was.

Whoever was to "blame" I will never think of it as other than a sad story that should never have been allowed to happen the way it did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

1 goal in 5 matches isn’t what he produced for us, but to be fair on him Castro and ikon are getting in his way a fair bit. 

Hmmmm, interesting...

We on the forum often whinge about how great it was when Bruno, Mooy and Novillo were together, how lethal that combination was and how great Bruno played with those boys.

With Castro and Ikon, Bruno now finds himself in a similar scenario to what he had back then.

I think it's a fair stretch TBH to say he's now struggling because of them, when it worked so well back then for us.

He still has the skills and the smarts, but let's just face it, he himself is not the player he was back then. It might change, but I wouldn't count on it.

Let's see where this conversation is at midway through the season.

He is out of sorts atm moment however he is still doing the little things that go unnoticed.

The Munn Joyce combination did more than destroy the club, it also destroyed players.

Glad to see that dark history is behind us now but we all can see what resulted and stench that has been left.

Hope he comes back to his majestic form that was an absolute pleasure to watch.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Let's see where this conversation is at midway through the season.

He is out of sorts atm moment however he is still doing the little things that go unnoticed.

The Munn Joyce combination did more than destroy the club, it also destroyed players.

Glad to see that dark history is behind us now but we all can see what resulted and stench that has been left.

Hope he comes back to his majestic form that was an absolute pleasure to watch.

I agree, I'd love to see him back to his old form - it gave us so much joy. 

But I really think he too needs to adapt, because in addition to everything else, it's also no secret that once teams started working him out, they tightened up on him and he struggled with that attention.

BTW, that Munn/Joyce destroying players comment is pure bullshit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Getting dragged with 15 minutes remaining yesterday when a goal down for a 16 year old debutant is hardly a confidence booster

Wouldn't read too much into that. Just nepotism from Popovic wanting to make a debut for his son (the missus must have put her foot down!).

Edited by haz

2 hours ago, rass said:

Hmmmm, interesting...

We on the forum often whinge about how great it was when Bruno, Mooy and Novillo were together, how lethal that combination was and how great Bruno played with those boys.

With Castro and Ikon, Bruno now finds himself in a similar scenario to what he had back then.

I think it's a fair stretch TBH to say he's now struggling because of them, when it worked so well back then for us.

He still has the skills and the smarts, but let's just face it, he himself is not the player he was back then. It might change, but I wouldn't count on it.

I was more meaning that the 3 of them need to find there roles and maybe Bruno doesn’t fully suit the system compared to Keogh 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Perth Glory striker Bruno Fornaroli labelled his final months at Melbourne City “the worst in my career” and regretted not being able to say goodbye to his beloved fans, ahead of Friday’s comeback game.

Melbourne City’s record goalscorer revealed that the fallout was solely with former coach Warren Joyce, as he was relegated to training with the youth team and watching from the stands for three months in one of the club’s darkest chapters.

Bruno Fornaroli watched Melbourne City from the stands for three months.

Joyce never revealed the full story behind Fornaroli’s axing, expect to say that he did not meet the standards that he had agreed to set in pre-season.

It is one year since Fornaroli was sensationally axed after scoring in the 2-0 win over Wellington, his last game for City.

“The worst moment in my career,” said Fornaroli, who scored 57 City goals in 83 games in all competitions.

“I had many, many difficult times in my career. Injuries, I had to leave clubs. But for me, I can say now it was the worst moment in my career.

“Yeah, it’s clear (the issue was with Joyce). I don’t want to lie. I’m relaxed with myself because I can sleep. I think I (did) everything for the club.

Fornaroli said that the fallout was exclusively between him and ex City coach Warren Joyce. 

“After that I don’t take the decision. In that period someone take the decisions and it’s not me. And people working inside Melbourne City sometimes don’t take the decisions to, they come from other side of the world. This is hard. When you know the people don’t take the decisions they everyday close to you know what is the situation, it’s hard.

“Again. I’m very grateful with Michael Petrillo, (ex chief executive) Scott Munn and all the people who support me til the end. I wish Melbourne City all the best.”

Fornaroli admitted it will be an emotional return to the ground he delivered so many special goals and memories for City, headlined by captaining them to the 2016 FFA Cup.

“I don’t know (how I will feel), but for sure strange. I played the last four years there and a lot of good memories there at AAMI Park,” he said.

“I only hope I have a warm welcome (from) fans, (I will) say hello to everyone.

“The way I left, I can’t say bye inside the pitch. For a player the important thing when you leave one place, is to say goodbye to the fans and supporters. I didn’t get to do that.

“I have good memories there, I’m very grateful to the club and fans – they supported me to the end too.

“Most special was when I went to watch the games and I couldn’t play and the fans still supported me. This is the best for one player. I’m very grateful (to) them.

“But when the referee says start the game, I will fight for my team.

“What happened happened between me and the coach and it’s finished. I’m looking forward and I’m thinking about Perth Glory, I’m happy there and I want to give everything to win for them. I’m purple.”

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Have we ever really said "goodbye" to a player at City?

I remember one huge banner "Thanks for the Memories." Wasn't that in the Heart days? But I don't think there's been a chance since, has there?

Probably a contribution to why we haven't really grown as a club.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Have we ever really said "goodbye" to a player at City?

I remember one huge banner "Thanks for the Memories." Wasn't that in the Heart days? But I don't think there's been a chance since, has there?

Probably a contribution to why we haven't really grown as a club.

Bit of Deja Vu, was discussing this banner yesterday. It was heart season 1 for Aloisi, Skoko, and another player I cant recall (Maybe Sibon?).

I believe we had a banner for Matt Thompson, which was held up at end of the game and their was also a banner for JVS'initial departure. We also had the custom of giving YS scarves to players at their last game, though this was sometimes forgotten.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, malloy said:

Bit of Deja Vu, was discussing this banner yesterday. It was heart season 1 for Aloisi, Skoko, and another player I cant recall (Maybe Sibon?).

I believe we had a banner for Matt Thompson, which was held up at end of the game and their was also a banner for JVS'initial departure. We also had the custom of giving YS scarves to players at their last game, though this was sometimes forgotten.

Yes I believe Sibon as well

Edited by KSK_47

Whilst Joyce is a cunt i've heard enough to know both parties were at fault.

Not to take away from bruno's time at city, will probably be up their with beich as my all time favourite clubmen but I'd be interested to hear more about this Sydney offer he was apparently going to take to leave city

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malloy said:

yeah, we missed the 'Fuck off Joyce' banner

15 hours ago, malloy said:

How is everyone forgetting this bad boy?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeMbqQ5OnpnB8Tp1JjJJd

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

How is everyone forgetting this bad boy?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeMbqQ5OnpnB8Tp1JjJJd

To clarify, when I was saying "we" I meant Yarraside, I opted to leave it to someone from one of the other groups to comment on the banners they did.

But yes, surely this is the most famous one.

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

RqIeQPE.jpg

Fantastic. I vaguely remember him responding, glad he approved. Watching him on the weekend brought back good memories. We were so lucky to have this guy when he found another few levels. 

I hope he comes back when he’s a bit older and plays a season or two with us. 

He's certainly a club legend from an on-field standpoint, but everything I've heard from people within the club is that his attitude changed considerably once he received his marquee deal, and not for the better. Clearly Joyce had priors for forcing players out, he seems to be an awful communicator which surely exacerbates the issues he has with players at times, but Bruno was no saint here.

I won't boo him, but I won't applaud him either.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Embee said:

He's certainly a club legend from an on-field standpoint, but everything I've heard from people within the club is that his attitude changed considerably once he received his marquee deal, and not for the better. Clearly Joyce had priors for forcing players out, he seems to be an awful communicator which surely exacerbates the issues he has with players at times, but Bruno was no saint here.

I won't boo him, but I won't applaud him either.

Maybe he lost motivation to prove himself. Or he became arrogant? 

10 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Maybe he lost motivation to prove himself. Or he became arrogant? 

Along the lines of he's the big shot now and didnt need to do some of the little things that the other players had to. Think eating like a pro etc, and then tie that back to why the skinfolds became a key moment in how it all unfolded. 
Not to mention the approach from Sydney and how that might have compounded things.

Edited by bt50

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Along the lines of he's the big shot now and didnt need to do some of the little things that the other players had to. Think eating like a pro etc, and then tie that back to why the skinfolds became a key moment in how it all unfolded. 
Not to mention the approach from Sydney and how that might have compounded things.

Imagine the offer from Sydney was purely just to stir shit up

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

The role of a coach to to understand the psychological motivations, strengths and vulnerabilities of every player and use that understanding to motivate individuals, and, to form a cohesive working group. Every player in the group has some responsibility to do that, but, as the team manager, it was specifically a core component of Wazza's job. Rather than understand and work with Bruno, or, for that matter, Kilkenny or any of the others, he drove them out and sought to sign compliant players. Poor management

• Like 2

• jw1739 locked this topic