Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

Bruno Fornaroli will be staying at Melbourne City after signing a marquee deal but coach John van 't Schip isn't prepared to comment on Tim Cahill.
By 
aap.com.au

Tim Cahill's anticipated arrival at Melbourne City remains a sensitive topic, but the A-League title hopefuls are happy to talk about Bruno Fornaroli.

Fornaroli is back, he's in great form and he's staying on an improved deal.

He has five goals in pre-season friendlies against state league opposition in the past fortnight ahead of Tuesday night's FFA Cup match against Perth-based Floreat Athena.

City offered last year's A-League leading scorer an improved deal to stay in Melbourne before he returned to Uruguay on holidays in May.

Fornaroli has yet to sign the contract, which would see him rise to marquee status under John van 't Schip.

But City fans shouldn't be fearful that was a sign he could still depart the club, van`t Schip saying the deal had been agreed.

"Bruno's here and we're happy he's back," he said on Monday.

"We're definitely going to sign him up as a marquee player.

Cahill's contract is another matter.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Great to welcome two old and successful friends in Melbourne! Nice to see you both @diegogodin y @velazquezemi !

•  
  •  
Reports of his imminent signing have yet to come to fruition, though it's understood terms have been agreed between Cahill, City and the FFA for the Socceroo to join the club as a full-season guest player.Van 't Schip agreed he would be a fine acquisition but wasn't prepared to pre-empt Cahill's decision."Who wouldn't like to have him in his team? He's proven (himself) every time and again," he said. 

"We all know his qualities on and off the pitch. He's a great football player. More, I can't say."

Former Socceroo Neil Kilkenny isn't a part of the travelling City squad after suffering a minor foot issue.

Edited by Deeming
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rayv36 said:

Well deserved contract upgrade and he doesn't look like a 1 season wonder.

I'm hoping he'll be the star we can build the team around, and he stays for several years. He's happy, it seems his family are happy, he likes it here, and it seems ihe's playing the best football of his career.

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I'm hoping he'll be the star we can build the team around, and he stays for several years. He's happy, it seems his family are happy, he likes it here, and it seems ihe's playing the best football of his career.

I'd like to see him (as his English improves) become the face of what the club stands for. If this guy was seen as what our club is all about I'm sure more and more people will walk through the doors. Think of the way Hawthorn has showed off the qualities of Hodge, Mitchell and Roughead.

15 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

The bloke's running around for us pre-season scoring for fun. I'd say the signing is only a formality.

What's hard about taking a pen to a bit of paper and writing his name on it?

IMO based only on unsubstantiated speculation, he's here because his first contract requires him to be, but he is waiting to the last minute for an offer to have his transfer fee paid.

8 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

IMO based only on unsubstantiated speculation, he's here because his first contract requires him to be, but he is waiting to the last minute for an offer to have his transfer fee paid.

He's worn the arm band the last two games :droy:

• Like 1

Lel theres no way Bruno's going anywhere. You only have to look at his twitter posts to deduce that, not to mention JVS confirming it yesterday.

Jovan is most likely on the money, its likely already done or waiting on some sort of visa issue to be resolved.

Edited by bt50

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Lel theres no way Bruno's going anywhere. You only have to look at his twitter posts to deduce that, not to mention JVS confirming it yesterday.

Jovan is most likely on the money, its likely already done or waiting on some sort of visa issue to be resolved.

Ok WTF is lel?

1 minute ago, thisphantomfortress said:

100% trolling, nobody could have that low a regard for evidence 

The man reviewed a game without watching it, if he's trolling he's clearly committed to the bit.

Gotta respect that

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

100% trolling, nobody could have that low a regard for evidence 

Evidence LOL

FMD.

"Fornaroli has yet to sign the contract "......means "  Fornaroli has yet to sign the contract.

In my world.

11 minutes ago, Embee said:

Kiro Kompiro bringing the lels as per usual

embee being a fickwit as usual

TUNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Melbourne City FC has elevated record-breaking Uruguayan striker Bruno Fornaroli into a marquee position in the Club’s Hyundai A-League squad on a new three-year deal.

Fornaroli, 28, had a year remaining on his existing contract until the conclusion of the 2016/17 season; however, the player has committed his future to the Club, signing a new deal with City until the end of the 2018/19 season.

The skilful attacker produced a standout campaign for City last season, becoming the quickest player to 11 goals, the first player to 20 goals in a regular season before breaking the A-League record for most goals scored in a season, with 23 goals.

membership-banner_1cic336y1hwff1lv3qlc7a

Finishing the season with 25 goals in 27 matches, Fornaroli’s double in City’s Elimination Final win over Perth Glory, including an incredible over-head kick, capped off an impressive inaugural season.

Fornaroli said he was delighted to sign on for three more years and said his ambitions matched the Club’s ahead of the 2016/17 season.

“I am really happy to be with this Club; my first season was very enjoyable, but I want to stay here, hopefully improve more and help the team be successful and achieve its potential,” Fornaroli said.

fornaroli-signs-3_1v3525v7qj9oy13las27cl

“The players, coaching staff, the facilities and the support provided to players is amazing. It is a very professional and family friendly club, which plays the type of football I like to play and this is where I want to be.

“My family and I have been made to feel very welcome; we love the Club, the city, the lifestyle, the culture and Melbourne, but first and foremost I am here to play football and win for this Club.”

Head Coach John van’t Schip said Fornaroli’s passionate and professional approach made him a central figure within the first team.

fornaroli-signs-3_lpu6nib6c18v1q13a2laxm

“Bruno is so important to us; the way he plays, the way he fits into the structure, his leadership and work ethic make him very important to us.

“Last season Bruno demonstrated his ability, making a significant contribution to the team and playing in an entertaining and determined way. He not only scored a record number of goals, but he provided an important link between attack and midfield.”

Awarded the A-League’s Golden Boot, Melbourne City’s and Goal Australia’s Player of the Year accolades, Fornaroli netted five braces and a hat-trick in the regular season.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 4

On Tuesday, 2 August 2016 at 2:02 PM, Kiro Kompiro said:

That didn't take long....

• Like 3

• jw1739 locked this topic