Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

Melbourne City have enjoyed one of their best seasons since joining the A-League in 2010 but it looks like turning sour, with the club likely to lose Aaron Mooy and Bruno Fornaroli.

The bad news comes just a day after the influential pair was involved in a close contest for the Johnny Warren Medal, won by Perth Glory’s Diego Castro. It also follows the surprise revelation that Luciano Trani, assistant to coach John van’t Schip, won’t have his contract renewed.

It is also believed several coaches from City’s youth academy have been let go.

As well, it is believed captain Patrick Kisnorbo has been told to consider his playing future and is unlikely to be re-signed. On top of that, there are at least eight players off contract, with the club looking to rebuild for next season.

Despite Mooy and Fornaroli being contracted for another year, it is understood they could well have played their last game for the club for differing reasons. Mooy wants to further his career in Europe, while Fornaroli is asking for a huge pay increase.

The word is Fornaroli, who is on a two-year deal worth about $220,000 a season, is looking to upgrade to a staggering $2.4 million a season, following his stellar performances this season.

While club officials are looking at switching from paying him within the $2.55m salary cap to marquee status, they are understandably baulking at his new asking price.

Complicating the situation is the fact the club failed in a move to get Football Federation Australia to kick in some funds via its newly created Marquee Fund, part of the head body’s strategic plan to improve the A-League. The fund will be used only to attract “new big name” players to the competition.

Melbourne City are owned by the cashed-up City Group, which also owns English club Manchester City and MLS franchise New York City. It is unclear whether the City Group is involved in the negotiations with Fornaroli.

The club was not prepared to comment on player deals or the issues around the coaching departures when contacted by The Australian yesterday.

Fornaroli has been a revelation in his first season in the nat­ional competition, with his 23 goals a regular season record. Of course, given the Uruguayan is a contracted player, City could make things difficult for him, but the club is unlikely to stand in the way of Mooy, who wants to test the waters overseas again.

Now a family man, Mooy, 25, is eager to return to Europe, where he spent three years in England (Bolton Wanderers) and Scotland (St Mirren) before returning home to join Western Sydney in the club’s debut season in 2012.

He joined City in 2014 and soon established himself as one of the stars of the A-League.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/city-likely-to-lose-mooy-fornaroli-along-with-assistant-coach/news-story/0454cdd17d3747d23b464e35f60fbc15

•  

Well Mooy will go looks for sure. Bruno's manager is chucking in an ambit claim to see how high discussions will go. I'd say a marquee wage at half that amount as a starting point plus a bonus on top based on goals scored would be a tremendous deal for him.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Well Mooy will go looks for sure. Bruno's manager is chucking in an ambit claim to see how high discussions will go. I'd say a marquee wage at half that amount as a starting point plus a bonus on top based on goals scored would be a tremendous deal for him.

This. Hoping this is the usual bargaining merry-go-round that happens when a player is worth more than they are currently getting. 

I reckon there's more dealing to be done on this and The Australian have jumped the gun looking for a story. Hoping that a deal will be struck soon that is a win for both club and Tuna and that he ends up staying. 

9 minutes ago, rass said:

This. Hoping this is the usual bargaining merry-go-round that happens when a player is worth more than they are currently getting. 

I reckon there's more dealing to be done on this and The Australian have jumped the gun looking for a story. Hoping that a deal will be struck soon that is a win for both club and Tuna and that he ends up staying. 

I agree. It's very early days and no need to be getting depressed yet. 

Am thinking this is his manager doing the same as he did mid-season when he was rumored to be signing to a team in Uruguay. Just trying to land the best deal possible for his client.

Is in career best form, in one of the worlds best cities, family seem happy. Not sure why he'd want to toy with that.

CFG should just offer him $3m and shut it up. Ffs the Sheikh would have $3m in his fucking car ash tray.

Edited by HOLLYWOOD
  • Like 1

For starters this forum was under no illusion that Mooy would try once again in Europe. And right now he seems to have matured enough to be able to make a real fist of it.

Novillo was a wild card and many people on this forum could not believe that he would be here in the A-League. We now know why he was not as successful as some of his youth team mates. Its in his head that is the problem and whether the club keeps him or not remains to be seen.

As for Bruno, well he has had a stellar season in the A-League. It is the first time in his career that he has had a stellar season. He or his manager may well want $2.4M but the club can rightly point out that he was successful at this club only and he may not replicate his form elsewhere or for that matter next season. I suspect that overseas clubs will also look at his longer term form.

A real radical thought would be for a club to take all three players: Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo and see whether they can replicate their form once again. At that point in time CFG will make its money.

What is frustrating most about this is that for years the club has been saying "it's not just about getting a big name player, it's about getting a player who will become a big name"

Not only have we found a player in fornaroli who can be a big name for our supporters, but someone who can be the face of the league. To me this is more than just keeping a player who is good for us, but keeping true to our word, and especially now when we have the financial ability to do so. It's one of those moments where we can show to the rest of the league we mean business. If it's 2mill a season he wants, throw it at him.

2 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

What is frustrating most about this is that for years the club has been saying "it's not just about getting a big name player, it's about getting a player who will become a big name"

Not only have we found a player in fornaroli who can be a big name for our supporters, but someone who can be the face of the league. To me this is more than just keeping a player who is good for us, but keeping true to our word, and especially now when we have the financial ability to do so. It's one of those moments where we can show to the rest of the league we mean business. If it's 2mill a season he wants, throw it at him.

I agree with your first paragraph 100%, but we can't just throw unlimited money at people because while the City group is wealthy as fuck, we know that Melbourne City does have a budget.

If city are smart offer the bloke 1.8mil with the clause that he needs to score minimum 25goals. If does well worth the money. If he doesn't renegotiate again. Contracts mean nothing these days. Paartalu was on a 3yr deal. Lasted 18months. Bruno is one of 3 players that are worth the admission price.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

For starters this forum was under no illusion that Mooy would try once again in Europe. And right now he seems to have matured enough to be able to make a real fist of it.

Novillo was a wild card and many people on this forum could not believe that he would be here in the A-League. We now know why he was not as successful as some of his youth team mates. Its in his head that is the problem and whether the club keeps him or not remains to be seen.

As for Bruno, well he has had a stellar season in the A-League. It is the first time in his career that he has had a stellar season. He or his manager may well want $2.4M but the club can rightly point out that he was successful at this club only and he may not replicate his form elsewhere or for that matter next season. I suspect that overseas clubs will also look at his longer term form.

A real radical thought would be for a club to take all three players: Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo and see whether they can replicate their form once again. At that point in time CFG will make its money.

The argument is that the three of them gelled this season, only falling away a bit as a trio when Novillo had his domestic. Take any one of them away from the others and how good are they really, is any one of them likely to replicate this season's results, and is any one of them actually worth more than around the 1m per season mark? That's what City and CFG have to weigh up. CFG is a business, albeit a football business, and won't just keep tipping in buckets of money because one player who's had one good season wants more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinnibari said:

I agree with your first paragraph 100%, but we can't just throw unlimited money at people because while the City group is wealthy as fuck, we know that Melbourne City does have a budget.

CFG's bargaining power in these negotiations is to prove that they can scout another 5 Bruno's who can excel here. If he is the only one then he has the upper hand in negotiations, if CFG truly believe that they can successfully replace every player who leaves with someone of equal or better potential then I don't have a problem with anyone leaving.

20 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

CFG's bargaining power in these negotiations is to prove that they can scout another 5 Bruno's who can excel here. If he is the only one then he has the upper hand in negotiations, if CFG truly believe that they can successfully replace every player who leaves with someone of equal or better potential then I don't have a problem with anyone leaving.

Very true. 

Having said that how many players would there be worldwide aged 28 and capable of scoring 20+ goals and willing to play for 250k? 

Don't like their chances. I think they got extremely lucky with Bruno and to do that again would be remarkable. 

• Like 1

People have really identified with Bruno now. The club is in a great position to really use him to market and promote the club forward. 

Signing a similar profile player if he leaves would just put us back to where we were at the start if this season.

I think he's worth more to us now than just the onfield benefits. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'd be surprised if they expected him to score 25 goals but good scouting is different from being lucky.

According to transfermarkt Bruno scored as many league goals for us this season (25) as the total number of goals he has scored for all his previous clubs combined (again 25).
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bruno-fornaroli/leistungsdaten/spieler/72651

• Like 1

If we don't match what ever he wants then the club can fuck right off. Greatest ever striker to grace the league deserves 2.5 million a season easily, its poo change in the greater scheme of things. Even someone like drogba would struggle to score 25 a season and he'd easily be of 2.5 a season. 

7 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

If we don't match what ever he wants then the club can fuck right off. Greatest ever striker to grace the league deserves 2.5 million a season easily, its poo change in the greater scheme of things. Even someone like drogba would struggle to score 25 a season and he'd easily be of 2.5 a season. 

Drogba would attract crowds though and bring in returns for the investment. Bruno doesnt have that capability. 

22 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

To quote sir AlexFerguson. 

"No player is bigger then the club"

Give bruno what he deserves not what he wants. 

Plus agree with hedaik drogba would bring in crowds. Look what villa did in 4 games.

• Like 1

As i said earlier, in relative terms and considering that the game is played in global market, for what he offers, the price he's asking is value for money and honestly short change for CFG.

If CFG want a global brand that becomes a force in the Asian market, then Bruno ticks many boxes in terms of enabling the club to continue to build.

With Bruno pretty much every A-League supporter loves him and recognises that he can consistently score world class goals.  The media love him and he is ridiculously marketable and will likely inspire a generation of kids to play football and either support or at least follow Melbourne City.  He has the best attitude of any player that has ever played for us and he wants to be a winner.  I doubt we could go out and spend $2.5 Million a season and replace him with a player that would be as successful and or as valuable to the image and brand of City.  

IMO, it would be crazy not to sign him.  For our marquee, if CFG arent prepared to spend this much, then as supporters, we are being ripped off.  In fact, if Mooy leaves, I'd expect them to spend more than what Bruno is asking for our second marquee spot.  They should be matching what China is paying for their star players ... they must do this for City to start flexing it muscle as the premier football club in Australia.

• Like 3

Do you ever consider that Bruno might even reduce his demands if cfg sack Jvs and install someone more capable? ffs cfg, get rid of Jvs while Bruno has yet to make up his mind and make one the biggest decisions of his life which potentially affect our capability of winning something next season..

31 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

As i said earlier, in relative terms and considering that the game is played in global market, for what he offers, the price he's asking is value for money and honestly short change for CFG.

If CFG want a global brand that becomes a force in the Asian market, then Bruno ticks many boxes in terms of enabling the club to continue to build.

With Bruno pretty much every A-League supporter loves him and recognises that he can consistently score world class goals.  The media love him and he is ridiculously marketable and will likely inspire a generation of kids to play football and either support or at least follow Melbourne City.  He has the best attitude of any player that has ever played for us and he wants to be a winner.  I doubt we could go out and spend $2.5 Million a season and replace him with a player that would be as successful and or as valuable to the image and brand of City.  

IMO, it would be crazy not to sign him.  For our marquee, if CFG arent prepared to spend this much, then as supporters, we are being ripped off.  In fact, if Mooy leaves, I'd expect them to spend more than what Bruno is asking for our second marquee spot.  They should be matching what China is paying for their star players ... they must do this for City to start flexing it muscle as the premier football club in Australia.

Your argument is very attractive, except for one false premise. In Australia we are not operating in a true global market because of the restrictions placed on the squad that an A-League club can have. We can pay only three players what we think they are actually worth, two as marquees and a third as a guest for 14 matches, and then only with the approval of the governing body FFA. The rest must fit under a collective salary cap. I don't think, therefore, that we are operating in the same market as most other countries.

I see, 1.5 is your opinion ... you stated it like it was a fact.

From a financial perspective, given the value of CFG's Melbourne operation is said to be in the order of $150 million ...  

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-city-chinese-deal-gives-melbourne-arm-value-boost-asia-opportunities-20151202-gld8k1.html

then spending only 1% of the value of the club on what could be considered the club's key asset is under spending IMO.  

JW, the marquee player is the one area where we can compete globally ... for the big clubs, up to 75% of their book value can be on players.  Given City's value, I'd suggest a sensible amount for City Group to spend on the marquee positions would be 10%, so $15 million a season.

14 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

I see, 1.5 is your opinion ... you stated it like it was a fact.

From a financial perspective, given the value of CFG's Melbourne operation is said to be in the order of $150 million ...  

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-city-chinese-deal-gives-melbourne-arm-value-boost-asia-opportunities-20151202-gld8k1.html

then spending only 1% of the value of the club on what could be considered the club's key asset is under spending IMO.  

JW, the marquee player is the one area where we can compete globally ... for the big clubs, up to 75% of their book value can be on players.  Given City's value, I'd suggest a sensible amount for City Group to spend on the marquee positions would be 10%, so $15 million a season.

All this is great... but it doesn't help knowing that you get nothing for winning the championship .... in cfg's eyes, making the cut for ACL is the only way, apart from memberships/gate revenue/merch sales, to earn some return...and so it should be in contract with Bruno and also the new manager that nothing but top two spots is the aim for next season

Edited by raw10

1 minute ago, Torn Asunder said:

I do agree that his contract should be incentive based 

Again, under the Collective Bargaining Agreement aren't all players, visa or Australian, required to sign a standard PFA contract? Grella was forced to do so when he wanted to play for nothing and only get paid if he could get fit.

I hear everything you say and agree with the direction that you'd like us to take, but I just don't believe we are operating in a free marketplace. CFG have been at loggerheads with FFA since ManC became our owners.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

1.5 is about as high cfg will go, If that's not enough they'll find a replacement 

Nah, he will not receive more than 1m. Keep it real guys.

How much is Berisa on?? He is a great example of his worth. He will settle for 1m.

I highly doubt he will get hi ls asking money unless he goes to China or Middle East.  Remember, he has not performed in any other league.  

Has he finally found form at a mature age, or has he found great support players in a league that he can dominate in?  I think the later.

• Like 2

• jw1739 locked this topic