Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

This guy.

He is pretty much the ultimate striker. If he has a weakness I'm not sure what it is.

Take for example this. Newcastle had a corner or something. Everybody is back except for him. We clear the ball up to him, he's outnumbered 4 to 1, no support. So what does he do? Wins the foul!

How he didn't make it in Europe I have no idea, but I'll tell you what we need to hold on to him like "mongrel dogs"

49 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

This guy.

He is pretty much the ultimate striker. If he has a weakness I'm not sure what it is.

Take for example this. Newcastle had a corner or something. Everybody is back except for him. We clear the ball up to him, he's outnumbered 4 to 1, no support. So what does he do? Wins the foul!

How he didn't make it in Europe I have no idea, but I'll tell you what we need to hold on to him like "mongrel dogs"

His weakness may well be adjusting to defenders in higher quality leagues. His wiki page lists him playing at a bunch of handy clubs such as Nacional, Sampdoria, Panathinaikos. The first stint at Nacional in 2008 he scored 10 goals from 12 games but it has been pretty lean pickings from then on. Since coming to us his goal scoring has improved dramatically. I think it says a lot about the quality of defenders in our league but take nothing away from the goals he has scored. The 2 on the weekend for example were absolutely quality in terms of technique. Pretty much Villa-esque IMO.

It's possible that he might enjoy staying with us for another year or two - especially if we reward him with a $$$$ increase. Our lifestyle and weather coupled with the fact that he's scoring for fun might convince him to hang around a little longer.

It's funny how as soon as someone does well in the A-league, people tend to assume that player will up and leave for greener pastures. But the grass ain't always greener eleswhere and I think that a spot on the CFG / Melbourne City FC squad will become more and more coveted and it will be a difficult choice for a stand-out player to leave. 

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I love how the guy plays - so exciting to watch. But one weakness he has is his left side (or confidence in it). He's constantly cutting back to his right and I can't remember which goal it was where rounding the keeper he could have rolled it in with his left but chose to turn his body and use his right, making it all look much more difficult. I think with A league defenders this is less of an impediment compared to stronger leagues. It will be interesting to see how he goes against an experienced CB like  Delpierre and hopefully he's too quick for him. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

Don't get me wrong, I love how the guy plays - so exciting to watch. But one weakness he has is his left side (or confidence in it). He's constantly cutting back to his right and I can't remember which goal it was where rounding the keeper he could have rolled it in with his left but chose to turn his body and use his right, making it all look much more difficult. I think with A league defenders this is less of an impediment compared to stronger leagues. It will be interesting to see how he goes against an experienced CB like  Delpierre and hopefully he's too quick for him. 

Already made him look silly with that turn and his goal against Perth was with his left

Edited by Dylan

46 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

Exactly what i said on here a few weeks back.

Yes he then scored on his left against Perth but he is very one sided. Both goals on the weekend showed that. His right side is so strong however and he instinctively uses the outside of his right foot like it's his left anyway.

So it's not a problem at this point and the bottom line is he has 9 goals already, so he's crushing this league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rass said:

Exactly what i said on here a few weeks back.

Yes he then scored on his left against Perth but he is very one sided. Both goals on the weekend showed that. His right side is so strong however and he instinctively uses the outside of his right foot like it's his left anyway.

So it's not a problem at this point and the bottom line is he has 9 goals already, so he's crushing this league.

Agree, Bruno is a very one sided player. He has to make some adjustment before taking a shot. It is okay in A-league, but in the europe, he will not have that much time to make adjustment. This explains that he could not score goals before but have a lot assists.

However, Tuna is the best striker we have ever had

• Like 1

I'm sure he's got weaknesses like all A-League players have. But he's a damn good player nevertheless, exciting to watch, he's having a ball with his team-mates, and looks as though he's loving life at City and here in Melbourne. At 28 he doesn't need to go anywhere else.

• Like 6

Bloke is a gun on par to Berisha but seems to be a good guy. At 28 he is the sort of player you build a side around. Give him 3 or 4 seasons and he'll score 90+ goals  (hopefully some of those will be ACL).

Similar to the influence Broich had and possibly same attitude to plying his trade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexli said:

Agree, Bruno is a very one sided player. He has to make some adjustment before taking a shot. It is okay in A-league, but in the europe, he will not have that much time to make adjustment. This explains that he could not score goals before but have a lot assists.

However, Tuna is the best striker we have ever had

Definitely, he's been awesome, a real joy to watch and so rapt to have him here. 

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Only on this forum

What is?

37 minutes ago, drewmelbcity said:

Being Italian myself I would like to think his goal scoring abilities come from his Italian heritage. Anyway end of pointless post. Thank you.

Plus his time at la Samp would have been what fine tuned that raw genetic potential into the quality we enjoy today. 

26 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I agree that being the top goal scorer in the league currently isn't that good, we need to pick apart his game and criticise him more. Otherwise he'll end up being another misfud.

Who said that it isn't that good? Fuk me, I've just made an observation about his left. Certainly not canning him and have also said many times that he has been absolutely awesome for us.

• Like 2

Kosta Barbarouses and Bruno Fornaroli go from playing together at Panathinaikos to facing off in Melbourne derby

December 18, 2015

David Davutovic

AMID a turbulent year at Greek club Panathinaikos, an unlikely friendship blossomed between teammates from opposite ends of the world.

Two years on and Uruguayan Bruno Fornaroli and Kiwi Kosta Barbarouses have been reunited, albeit for different clubs in the same city.

Panathinaikos churned through five coaches and finished sixth that season, a “disaster” for the Greek giants that affected all facets of the players’ lives.

“It wasn’t a good year for the club, but I have one friend, this is most important in football,’’ Fornaroli said.

The pair giggled and reflected on some fond memories of Athens on the eve of Saturday night’s Melbourne derby at AAMI Park, but they were far outweighed by the negative ones in a tumultuous year.

Barbarouses’ friendship was crucial for the under siege Uruguayan, and not just for his translations.

“It wasn’t like we were just teammates, we spent a lot of time together as well, we were very good friends along with a few of the other South American boys,’’ Barbarouses said.

The starry-eyed pair arrived in Greece determined to fulfil their European professional dream, but it quickly turned into a nightmare with poor results triggering a series of bizarre and precarious incidents.

“I remember twice at training, everyone stopped and I didn’t know why,’’ Fornaroli said.

“I looked behind me and 50 crazy fans came onto the pitch and said ‘stop training’ and spoke with the team.

“The second time was a fight with the captain (and fans) but everyone stepped in and stopped it. For the team it wasn’t good, you can’t play relaxed, you can’t enjoy it.’’

Barbarouses also recalled the incidents, including the fan altercation with one of several skippers that season, former Newcastle United and Juventus defender Jean-Alain Boumsong.

“They wanted to speak mostly to the senior players to see what was going on and the second time things weren’t as friendly because results still weren’t going our way,’’ he said.

“It didn’t end greatly but it just shows how much they care about it and they don’t accept anything less than success.

“It was a crazy time. We would have a meeting with the coach and 30 minutes later everything was word for word on the internet or in the paper.’’

Growing up to Greek parents in New Zealand, Barbarouses was fulfilling a childhood dream by joining ‘The Greens’, on loan from Russians Alania Vladikavkaz.

Neither that nor the fact that Barbarouses spoke fluent Greek anything once the team’s rot set in.

“We saw everything that year, explosives going off as we got off the team bus, I even had carrots thrown at me,’’ Barbarouses said.

“You can’t even live relaxed, you go into the centre, after a bad result you can’t even think of going out in public.’’

The pressure on Fornaroli was even greater.

Though coming on a free transfer, Fornaroli was a star signing having come from Italian giants Sampdoria.

Though in and out of the side, the striker failed to score in the league, only managing two Greek Cup strikes.

“When you come from a big club in Italy it’s normal to have pressure,’’ Fornaroli said.

“I was with my wife in Athens and one time after a game a fan came and said if you don’t score I’ll kill you in front of my wife.

“It’s difficult, I tried to say don’t worry, this is football sometimes, in South America it’s the same.

“When you have problems inside the club it’s difficult to play and everything was crazy. We changed coaches, one coach played you, the other coach wouldn’t.’’

After his experiences around the world, Fornaroli calls the Melbourne derby “the beautiful derby”.

The more relaxed, caring atmosphere has helped the man who arrived in Australia with an underwhelming CV tear the A-League apart and leading the golden boot race as he leads Melbourne City’s unlikely title assault with Aaron Mooy.

“I also have (pressure) here, it’s different. The fans aren’t crazy, everyone comes to watch the game and nothing more,’’ Fornaroli said.

“There is a lot of pressure in Uruguay and Argentina. The fans are crazy, I have in my career had three or four times these episodes (akin to Panathinaikos), it’s no good.

“In this moment I don’t have confidence. To play good you need confidence, when I came here everyone gave me this and this is very important for me, I need this to play good.’’

The difference hit home on Fornaroli’s debut, when chief penalty taker Mooy insisted on the Uruguayan taking the spot kick in the FFA Cup win over Wellington Phoenix, enabling him to open his account.

Since Fornaroli has scored in seven of 12 games, netting 12 in total.

“The first game Aaron let me take a penalty for my confidence. I came two weeks earlier and this was very good for me,’’ he said.

“Here I feel good for this reason, not only staff but also my friends inside the changeroom.’’

Now a counterpart Barbarouses, whose career has flourished since signing for Melbourne Victory, suspected Fornaroli was going to make an impact in the A-League.

“I knew his quality as a player. The stats don’t show everything, when I was with him I could see how clever he was as a player so I’m not surprised how well he’s done,’’ Barbarouses said.

“You can’t look at the time there. He would’ve played one game, missed three, then played two. You can’t judge somebody on that.

“You have pressure here but people try to help you to perform, there you’re by yourself, nobody is going to go out of their way to help you.

“Here everybody in the club and around will help you to be successful.’’

While there will be active fans at either end of AAMI Park tonight, in between City and Victory fans will sit alongside each other, something that was foreign to Fornaroli before coming here.

While the Panathinaikos-Olympiakos derby is tense, Fornaroli said described the Uruguay’s Nacional-Penarol derby “crazy” and Argentina’s San Lorenzo -Uracan “dangerous”.

“Melbourne is a beautiful derby. I like this derby because people go to enjoy the game and fans go together. It doesn’t happen in every country,’’ Fornaroli said.

“For example, Victory and one City fans go together. This in South America for example, is impossible. No chance.

“It’s a very big game. We need to win and we want to win, it’s a derby, you need to win those.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/kosta-barbarouses-and-bruno-fornaroli-go-from-playing-together-at-panathinaikos-to-facing-off-in-melbourne-derby/news-story/05e8930d696c0592ec1f6c5e26b6eb81

• Like 1

On 20/12/2015 at 1:03 PM, Shahanga said:

They had obviously planned all week for him. 4 dudes would surround him when he got the ball. Still worked hard as per always.

The great thing is that Bruno got mugged by at least two Tards every time the ball came near him which left the door open for Mauk and Retre to slip in for goals. That's the beauty of having quality players. They drag multiple opponents with them freeing up other players. Also was happening with Mooy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Should rename the thread to just 'El Tuna'

I'll leave that to Murfy1 if he wishes to do it - he started the thread.

20 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The signing of this bloke is CFGs  greatest success so far. Apart from obviously the sausage stand. 

Without a doubt he's our best visa player signing so far. Big work-rate, and love the way he will sometimes move away from goal off the ball to either leave himself in space or pull the defence apart to leave room for someone else. And he's happy to provide the pass for someone else if he can.
Will definitely join Germano (Santa hat celebration) as a club legend if he stays around. Two South Americans - find some more please CFG.

• jw1739 locked this topic