Melbourne Football

Marco Tilio

Shahanga

5 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

He's at that stage that if he goes overseas he needs to go to a club which will start him. I think that rules out top 4 leagues and probably the championship. I would think continental Europe instead of SPFL or English leagues, also think a bit too small for Germany. Probs best is  Ligue 2, La liga 2 or Serie B side, or Portugal. He's still a bit lacking in the final ball which if he can correct then he'll be ready for a higher league

Ligue 2 is the pits. TBH at the moment I don't think he's good enough to go elsewhere and he would be better served by staying with us.

We tend to forget that for every one of our promising young players there's another 100 already in the country they're thinking of going to.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ligue 2 is the pits. TBH at the moment I don't think he's good enough to go elsewhere and he would be better served by staying with us.

We tend to forget that for every one of our promising young players there's another 100 already in the country they're thinking of going to.

Fully agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

Great lesson for Tillio against Ecuador.  He was up against a world class defender who gave him ZERO time and space.  He was still able to have a few touches. but because of the intense pressure, when his one or two good opportunities came to create something positive, he was too rushed, or missed the opportunities.  At that level, you have to make your chances count

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Great lesson for Tillio against Ecuador.  He was up against a world class defender who gave him ZERO time and space.  He was still able to have a few touches. but because of the intense pressure, when his one or two good opportunities came to create something positive, he was too rushed, or missed the opportunities.  At that level, you have to make your chances count

I would add that if he wants to simulate he should have a close look at his Ecuadorean counterpart. Also, being the physical game that it was it will give him good time to learn what can be expected in the non-EPL leagues.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

I think he could do with another season or two here. From my pov, he's physically weak, inconsistent, and often lacks the final ball.

Can't help but think Europe will chew him up and spit him out if he leaves at end of season.

I agree. Looking at the game against Ecuador, players that can match him for speed he won't be able to do what he likes to do. Also his final foot skill is hit and miss. I know he will head to Europe but my money is that he won't make it there and neither will Kuol but I feel that Bos could make a career in Europe.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I agree. Looking at the game against Ecuador, players that can match him for speed he won't be able to do what he likes to do. Also his final foot skill is hit and miss. I know he will head to Europe but my money is that he won't make it there and neither will Kuol but I feel that Bos could make a career in Europe.

Yeah true that. Unless you are absolutely dominating the A League for a solid season at least and not just a bench impact player. Then you ain't going to translate that to a successful time in Europe...

Mooy is about the only player from Melbourne City to absolutely dominante a season/s and do well overseas also! 

4 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah true that. Unless you are absolutely dominating the A League for a solid season at least and not just a bench impact player. Then you ain't going to translate that to a successful time in Europe...

Mooy is about the only player from Melbourne City to absolutely dominante a season/s and do well overseas also! 

Connor Metcalfe is doing reasonably well with F.C. St. Pauli. 23 appearances, 3 goals, 2 assists, averaging 41 minutes a match and match time increasing as the season progresses.

IMO Nathaniel Atkinson not doing quite so well with Hearts though. 20 appearances, 2 goals, 2 assists, averaging 47 minutes per match but his appearances now are diminishing in frequency now.

4 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Connor Metcalfe is doing reasonably well with F.C. St. Pauli. 23 appearances, 3 goals, 2 assists, averaging 41 minutes a match and match time increasing as the season progresses.

IMO Nathaniel Atkinson not doing quite so well with Hearts though. 20 appearances, 2 goals, 2 assists, averaging 47 minutes per match but his appearances now are diminishing in frequency now.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yeah I got your point the first time around... 

Those guys are doing alright, however neither of them quit dominanted the league. 

The question for Tilio and other youth players is whether the A-League can improve them further or try overseas and see whether they can improve. Someone at City did say they felt that Tilio needed another year playing local. For me unless he starts and plays full matches and has an impact then he is not ready to go.

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

Could be an interesting move if he goes there!

FB_IMG_1686042105764.jpg

9 Goals (7th Best) and 5 Assists (7th Best) isn't enough for a 21 year old winger who only plays an average of 70 mins per game? 🤔 🤔 

What is that guy smoking?

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

Got a transfer fee similar to Bos, so that’s 4m in fees for the club this window.  

What will we do with all that money!

It wasn’t that long ago the club made it clear that fans aren’t important and that $300k per season is crucial for the existence of football in this country.

I think CCM has also received some nice transfer fees in recent times.

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

Got a transfer fee similar to Bos, so that’s 4m in fees for the club this window.  

This is the business mode CFG set out, glad this is starting to pay off.

I still don’t know why we don’t disclose transfer fees in this country.

Would we nice to get an overview of all the club transfer.

51 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

This is the business mode CFG set out, glad this is starting to pay off.

I still don’t know why we don’t disclose transfer fees in this country.

Would we nice to get an overview of all the club transfer.

I believe FIFA(?) changed the rules in the last year that transfer fees cannot be disclosed. So we'll find out sooner or later what Bos and Tilio sold for. 

Edited by haz

10 minutes ago, haz said:

I believe FIFA(?) changed the rules in the last year that transfer fees cannot be disclosed. So we'll find out sooner or later what Bos and Tilio sold for. 

I'm not sure about disclosure outside FIFA, but all transfers now have to go through the FIFA Clearing House, which calculates the "training rewards" (to clubs that have contributed to the player's development (I believe from the player's 12th to his (her?) 21st birthday, and "solidarity payments" (which would be required in Tilio's case because he is moving from the AFC to UEFA), and also ensures that these payments are made (in Marco's case, to Sydney - and perhaps others before that?).

I haven't found the FIFA rules, but this more-or-less describes the process in outline. https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/analysis/fifa-clearing-house-rules-football-clubs.

All this is about transparency and fairness, and so I have little doubt in in due course we will be able to find out the fees in the cases of Jordy and Marco.

41 minutes ago, haz said:

I see other parts of the world talking about fees still, and always have been. It’s an odd one.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I see other parts of the world talking about fees still, and always have been. It’s an odd one.

Transfer fees were supposed to be being brought in here, weren't they, when a player wished to leave one A-League club to join another and wasn't out of contract?

Like so many "reforms" to football in Australia, was it just another thought bubble?

12 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I know that there are a lot Aussie players in Scotland but for me that is a sideways step. Yes, they are in Europe but that is about it. As the Blue Samurai stated for omitting Celtic's Japanese contingent (bar one), you need to consider the quality of the league.

Depending on where you look, the SPL ranks between 9 and 16 in Europe and pretty much the same as the Austrian Bundesliga.

8 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah let's face it, it's a farmer's league dominated by 1 - 2 teams and that's it...

One with fans in stands…..

It’s concerning that some regard the A-league this high. Scotland is certainly a good first move to Europe along with Denmark, Netherlands and Belgium. If you do well there is there is guaranteed a step up. If the level was so low there then our young Aussies should absolutely boss it and they aren’t.

On 24/6/2023 at 2:42 PM, jw1739 said:

Transfer fees were supposed to be being brought in here, weren't they, when a player wished to leave one A-League club to join another and wasn't out of contract?

Like so many "reforms" to football in Australia, was it just another thought bubble?

This was certainly talked about, but I’m hearing that our sports washing entity Destination NSW wants a cut from every transfer so they are still negotiating.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It’s concerning that some regard the A-league this high. Scotland is certainly a good first move to Europe along with Denmark, Netherlands and Belgium. If you do well there is there is a guaranteed a step up. If the level was so low there then our young Aussies should absolutely boss it and they aren’t.

This was certainly talked about but I’m hearing that our sports washing entity Destination NSW wants a cut from every transfer so they are still negotiating.

Admittedly I only started paying attention to the SPL when Ange arrived to coach Celtic but I have not seen that many Scots start in the SPL and progress to the top leagues in Europe. I have seen foreign players arrive at Celtic/Rangers and then return to better deals in Europe but that's about it. And as far as bossing it, Atkinson does not play the type of football that gets played in Scotland, he certainly would have been better off in Belgium, Netherlands or Scandinavian countries. Ditto Kuol. Behich is 32 and at the end of his career. Rogic bossed it but bottled it in Europe.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Admittedly I only started paying attention to the SPL when Ange arrived to coach Celtic but I have not seen that many Scots start in the SPL and progress to the top leagues in Europe. I have seen foreign players arrive at Celtic/Rangers and then return to better deals in Europe but that's about it. And as far as bossing it, Atkinson does not play the type of football that gets played in Scotland, he certainly would have been better off in Belgium, Netherlands or Scandinavian countries. Ditto Kuol. Behich is 32 and at the end of his career. Rogic bossed it but bottled it in Europe.

Netherlands and Belgium are a level up again, Scandinavia perhaps…..There’s plenty of examples in those leagues too where Ozzies couldn’t make it, and quickly returned Joel King or even young Jamieson come to mind. Shit leagues then?

So if our young players can’t make a difference in these leagues we call it farmers leagues or poor leagues. Perhaps our players aren’t there yet in terms of quality.

What I’m saying is that I don’t agree with the statement that at present the SPL is step back or sideways vs the A-league. It’s a good opportunity and if you are really good enough for the top 10 leagues in Europe (incl the Championship) you will get noticed even in Scotland.

Edited by Mr MO

In the SPL there are really only 5 clubs, possibly 6, out of the 12 that have anything above A-League average attendances - Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen. All the rest average below 10,000. The attendances reflect the population of Scottish towns and cities.
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-premiership/attendances
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_Scotland_by_population
Whether or not that says anything about the quality of the football is another matter. Melbourne City has very poor attendances for a city the size of Melbourne, yet we're the club that will play ACL next season.
IMO attendances depend on many more factors other than the "football." In our case, on a national basis, AFL is easily the most spectator-popular football code, and we're a minor code.
I hope that Marco hasn't lost sight of the fact that, irrespective of any of the above, Celtic is a "big" club, and that he will be competing with a lot of home-grown players who aspire to represent the club. IMO Jordy Bos got it right when he said  "you can get lost at a big club" and that's why he thought that Westerlo was the right destination for him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

It’s concerning that some regard the A-league this high. Scotland is certainly a good first move to Europe along with Denmark, Netherlands and Belgium. If you do well there is there is guaranteed a step up. If the level was so low there then our young Aussies should absolutely boss it and they aren’t.

I was not saying that the SPL is a sideways or backwards step to the A-league. It's a relatively weak league in Europe dominated by a couple teams. As for Tilios sake, it would be a real challenge for him trying to break into the Celtic first 11. Also great to have a shot of Champions league and be in the shop window to the rest of Europe...

• Like 1