Melbourne Football

Marco Tilio

Shahanga

Thoughts on the Tilio predicament? 

In the Socceroo squad but can't get more than a mid-late sub appearance for us. Was his one minute appearance last week a bit of a show of power by PK or just what circumstances dictated?

Should we be cramming him into our midfield instead of Gomulka/VDV? Should he be replacing one of the wings? Should he be looking for a move elsewhere in the league or even overseas? 

Kisnorbo has doubled down obviously declaring that he isn't gonna play him if it isn't the best thing for us, but what does that mean for him? He's fighting for a World Cup spot and is not being given a lot to work with. 

Edited by The Aardvark

48 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Thoughts on the Tilio predicament? 

In the Socceroo squad but can't get more than a mid-late sub appearance for us. Was his one minute appearance last week a bit of a show of power by PK or just what circumstances dictated?

Should we be cramming him into our midfield instead of Gomulka/VDV? Should he be replacing one of the wings? Should he be looking for a move elsewhere in the league or even overseas? 

Kisnorbo has doubled down obviously declaring that he isn't gonna play him if it isn't the best thing for us, but what does that mean for him? He's fighting for a World Cup spot and is not being given a lot to work with. 

It makes little sense to shove him into midfield just for the sake of being in contention for the socceroos when he's not really a midfielder... He should though be getting at least 15-20 minutes every week replacing one of the front 3 for rotation and experience sake. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It makes little sense to shove him into midfield just for the sake of being in contention for the socceroos when he's not really a midfielder... He should though be getting at least 15-20 minutes every week replacing one of the front 3 for rotation and experience sake. 

Agree, he played last season alot in the midfield and for me was ordinary. 

He needs to be given 15-20 minutes and then actually do something that makes it impossible not to play him. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jovan said:

He needs to be given 15-20 minutes and then actually do something that makes it impossible not to play him. 

Yep you nailed it here. He really hasn't had much opportunity unfortunately but he needs to be subbed into a front 3 position for sure!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Exactly. Kisnorbo just does not use substitutes that way, so for Tilio it's just like Cola. Slow strangulation - not enough minutes to do anything to justify more minutes.

It's a gross misuse of a talented player. 

• Like 1

Look obviously you can't be in PK's mind, but i would have been pretty confident we'd have seen 20-30 minutes for Marco last weekend had we not gone down to 10 with a 2-0 lead.
Circumstances simply didnt dictate him coming on in that game.
As it stands i think him and Nabbout are fairly evenly placed, but Nabbout is the incumbent and has started well, and therefore keeps his spot until either Marco forces his way past him, or injury opens a spot up.

We all rate Marco and see how good he can potentially be, but i simply don't think he's gone past any of the incumbent front three based on his performances in a City shirt to date. His challenge is to make enough of an impact and take his opportunities by the scruff of the neck when they present to him to the point that he's undroppable.  

• Like 4

Tilio front third only when we are chasing the game, midfield for him is failed experiment.

Perhaps it’s a blessing in the sky that Gomulka is suspended, on paper our strongest midfield could be O’Neill, VDV and (edit Berisha) O’Neill - so hopefully that works well.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I just wish Kisnorbo could get an offer to go elsewhere that he can't refuse...

Yes please. 

Edited by Mr MO

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Tilio front third only when we are chasing the game, midfield for him is failed experiment.

Perhaps it’s a blessing in the sky that Gomulka is suspended, on paper our strongest midfield could be O’Neill, VDV and O’Neill - so hopefully that works well.

Yes please. 

I'm seeing double here, four O'Neills

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Look obviously you can't be in PK's mind, but i would have been pretty confident we'd have seen 20-30 minutes for Marco last weekend had we not gone down to 10 with a 2-0 lead.
As it stands i think him and Nabbout are fairly evenly placed, but Nabbout is the incumbent and has started well, and therefore keeps his spot until either Marco forces his way past him, or injury opens a spot up.

We all rate Marco and see how good he can potentially be, but i simply don't think he's gone past any of the incumbent front three based on his performances in a City shirt to date. His challenge is to make enough of an impact and take his opportunities by the scruff of the neck when they present to him to the point that he's undroppable.  

Please stop being so logical. No place for that here!

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

Interesting.

A-League for Melbourne City:
Tilio: 43 appearances, 2106 minutes, 5 goals, 11 assists;
Nabbout: 43 appearances, 3332 minutes, 7 goals, 13 assists.

There's not much in it, but Tilio is slightly more productive than Nabbout.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

As long as PK keeps winning he can play my mother in front of Tilio for all I care. 

I agree with this.

Is Tilio exciting yes but there is still something missing in his play, determination in that final shot or pass is lagging. You can clearly tell he’s from a futsal background. Over a 90minutes we are also more vulnerable defensively.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I agree with this.

Is Tilio exciting yes but there is still something missing in his play, determination in that final shot or pass is lagging. You can clearly tell he’s from a futsal background. Over a 90minutes we are also more vulnerable defensively.

I think its that hes not quite developed his decision making just yet. Ie he still dribbles at players when he should pass, and passes when he should look to get at them. Once he gets that right then yes, i agree, the sky is the limit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

As long as PK keeps winning he can play my mother in front of Tilio for all I care. 

Lol since when has PK winning stopped criticism? 

As others have mentioned our form has made it hard to include him as a starting member (and going down to 10 killed his chances against Brisbane) but if an opportunity comes up to move abroad even as a bench player it would be hard for him to turn down on the basis of banking gametime here. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Aardvark said:

Do people think he'll make the World Cup squad? 

I personally think he'll just miss, and I'm not sure he should be in there anyway. 

If youd asked me at 7pm id have said yes, but i think following Kuol's cameo he will go instead.

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

If youd asked me at 7pm id have said yes, but i think following Kuol's cameo he will go instead.

The pros for Tilio is that he can and has played for 90 minutes, he can create and defend/harass. Kuol has never played for 90 minutes but every time that he is on the pitch he creates and becomes unpredictable. Very, very close.

57 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

The pros for Tilio is that he can and has played for 90 minutes, he can create and defend/harass. Kuol has never played for 90 minutes but every time that he is on the pitch he creates and becomes unpredictable. Very, very close.

I think the argument is prob that its almost certain that neither will start at any stage, so you almost want a body of work thats off the bench as a reference point.

And on that point i think kuol is the winner

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think the argument is prob that its almost certain that neither will start at any stage, so you almost want a body of work thats off the bench as a reference point.

And on that point i think kuol is the winner

Yeah both are vying for a bench spot as a late game changer. Think Kuol has the edge in that sense, and I don't think they will select two pure late sub options. 

2 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

Yeah both are vying for a bench spot as a late game-changer. Think Kuol has the edge in that sense, and I don't think they will select two pure late sub options. 

Yes, but you want an impact player who can start if you have an injured first 11 player. The other plus for Tilio is that he, Maclaren and Leckie have worked together for 2 years, Kuol is still a (very effective) bench player

• Like 1

19 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, but you want an impact player who can start if you have an injured first 11 player. The other plus for Tilio is that he, Maclaren and Leckie have worked together for 2 years, Kuol is still a (very effective) bench player

I was thinking the exact same thing last night.

23 minutes ago, rass said:

Not in. Shame for him, was a great opportunity for European exposure.

Not the same position obviously but what is his love affair with Joel fukn King all about?

We are super thin at left Full Back, I mean Behich is on the decline and he's our first pick. Not sure there are many better options tbh, as mediocre as King is. 

• 3 months later...

He's at that stage that if he goes overseas he needs to go to a club which will start him. I think that rules out top 4 leagues and probably the championship. I would think continental Europe instead of SPFL or English leagues, also think a bit too small for Germany. Probs best is  Ligue 2, La liga 2 or Serie B side, or Portugal. He's still a bit lacking in the final ball which if he can correct then he'll be ready for a higher league