Melbourne Football

Marco Tilio

Shahanga

9 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Indeed.

to be clear though he’s just in the “train on” squad. They are going to Japan solely to ride the bullet train*

* or they are on standby in case someone in the squad proper is injured. (Either way it shows he’s on the gaffer’s radar)

Or tests positive. Probably higher chance of getting covid than pulling a hammy.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mus-28 said:

With Luna leaving I'm hoping we'll see him play a lot of the coming season as a #10 with Metcalfe playing as a box to box midfielder. He's no Robbie Koren, but he'll have to do.

We really don't play with a #10 per say, and with Florin extending, him and Tilio will probably fight for the 3rd midfield position. 

So having O'neill then Griffiths and maybe Gomulka at the base in the holding position is decent, then having Metcalfe and probably Lesiotis as one of the 8s and as mentioned probably Tilio and Berenguer as the other 8 we are well covered.

Advantage of Tilio he proved he can also play wide.

Without pumping him too much, I'm very excited for him next season. 

23 hours ago, Jovan said:

, then having Metcalfe and probably Lesiotis as one of the 8s and as mentioned probably Tilio and Berenguer as the other 8 we are well covered.

Those midfield positions are the make or break of our play, so critical - this is where you mostly can win your games. I would like to see that we replace Luna with a more creative experienced midfielder. Lesiotis seems more a holding type and I can see Tilio still being used on the wing more often than not.

We want to improve to challenge again!

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Those midfield positions are the make or break of our play, so critical - this is where you mostly can win your games. I would like to see that we replace Luna with a more creative experienced midfielder. Lesiotis seems more a holding type and I can see Tilio still being used on the wing more often than not.

We want to improve to challenge again!

I am Dreaming by Nasri who is a Free Agent is the creative midfielder we have always been asking for. Doubt it would happen though 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

What's the feeling here? Is he quite the player that he was last season?

He is a gun and has x-factor.  He should be playing as many minutes as possible for us, and should be pivotal to the Socceroos setup.  The only chance the Socceroos have of doing anything is if we can build our team around a few players who can create chances and make things happen. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hasn't quite hit the heights i hoped he would immediately following last season, but you can see its there and he's definitely had moments where he has dragged points for us. 
His biggest issue imo is decision making and knowing when to take the defence on and when to retain possession; i think he often gets that wrong.

Just now, bt50 said:

Hasn't quite hit the heights i hoped he would immediately following last season, but you can see its there and he's definitely had moments where he has dragged points for us. 
His biggest issue imo is decision making and knowing when to take the defence on and when to retain possession; i think he often gets that wrong.

100%,

But that's what separates a good player to a great player.

If he can continues to improve maybe another 50 League games and maybe 5-10 national caps he'll be ready for a European "bigish level team".

My only fear is that he could be another Arzani, De Silva (and apologies Rojas).

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

100%,

But that's what separates a good player to a great player.

If he can continues to improve maybe another 50 League games and maybe 5-10 national caps he'll be ready for a European "bigish level team".

My only fear is that he could be another Arzani, De Silva (and apologies Rojas).

I don't think he will be an Arzani, Tilio has hunger and desire. Arzani does not.

27 minutes ago, malloy said:

I don't think he will be an Arzani, Tilio has hunger and desire. Arzani does not.

Maybe, without knowing squat, I always felt just from body language it's more of an attitude thing with Arzani. That is he felt or believed he was better than he actually was. 

Obviously he was riddlled with injuries and all at the worst possible times. 

Tilio seems more grounded and humble and hopefully he hangs for next season. 

And as extension, we are now genuinely becoming a breeding ground for the next generation.  Atkinson end of  last season, Metcalfe end of this season and Tilio end of next season. (maybe)

Edited by Jovan

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Maybe, without knowing squat, I always felt just from body language it's more of an attitude thing with Arzani. That is he felt or believed he was better than he actually was. 

Obviously he was riddlled with injuries and all at the worst possible times. 

Tilio seems more grounded and humble and hopefully he hangs for next season. 

And as extension, we are now genuinely becoming a breeding ground for the next generation.  Atkinson end of  last season, Metcalfe end of this season and Tilio end of next season. (maybe)

And let's not forget Genreau, though he moved on from us before he went overseas. All these muppets online who say the A League does nothing to develop the next generation need to look at City. And IMHO also Adelaide who seem to be serious about youth as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And let's not forget Genreau, though he moved on from us before he went overseas. All these muppets online who say the A League does nothing to develop the next generation need to look at City. And IMHO also Adelaide who seem to be serious about youth as well.

@fensaddlerI was going to ask though, generally, which A-League clubs other than City have a proper Academy? My feeling is that to have a quality national team it is very beneficial to have a quality national league in which your country's youth can gain both on- and off-field experience in professionally run clubs. Sure you will occasionally produce the superstar from a crappy league, but not often. Just about everywhere I look I see names that at some time or other in our relatively short history were associated with either Heart or City, and it seems that we are carrying far more than our share of the load. Would welcome other views on this!

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@fensaddlerI was going to ask though, generally, which A-League clubs other than City have a proper Academy? My feeling is that to have a quality national team it is very beneficial to have a quality national league in which your country's youth can gain both on- and off-field experience in professionally run clubs. Sure you will occasionally produce the superstar from a crappy league, but not often. Just about everywhere I look I see names that at some time or other in our relatively short history were associated with either Heart or City, and it seems that we are carrying far more than our share of the load. Would welcome other views on this!

I believe we welcome carrying more than our share. I don't think it's a secret that we actively endeavour to scout talent for not only our benefit but the national teams. 

Secondly, our system of play allows our players to showcase their skills better than any other team. 

I don't think having a strong national league is crucial, but having a strong development program to produce talent is key. For example the Croatian league wouldn't be you dissimilar or far above the aleague yet the difference between our national teams is astronomical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

+1 regarding Adelaide

Carl Veart deserves praise for the amount of minutes he gives his youth players.

• Like 1

I think we'd all agree that Tilio needs another season to consolidate in the A-League befire moving on, and certainly has the taleent to play at a higher level. 

How do we get him that gametime though?

Nabbout and Leckie are both locked in starters for the next few years. So is Tilio constrained to the bench still unless these guys are injured? 

He has been decent in the CM role, can he take Metcalfes spot and does that work considering Metcalfe does a lot more defensive grunt work than Tilio in the centre? 

16 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

I think we'd all agree that Tilio needs another season to consolidate in the A-League befire moving on, and certainly has the taleent to play at a higher level. 

How do we get him that gametime though?

Nabbout and Leckie are both locked in starters for the next few years. So is Tilio constrained to the bench still unless these guys are injured? 

He has been decent in the CM role, can he take Metcalfes spot and does that work considering Metcalfe does a lot more defensive grunt work than Tilio in the centre? 

Great points,

I think he needs to stay wide and battle Nabbout and Leckie for a start, if they are in form then he needs to be first change between 60 and 70mins, any later is pointless. If he is in form then he needs to start.

I don't think we should experiment with positions to get him minutes unless we see him playing there longterm. Similar with Colakovski, i feel he needs to be pushing Maclaren, maybe at 70mins and avoid playing him wide.

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Great points,

I think he needs to stay wide and battle Nabbout and Leckie for a start, if they are in form then he needs to be first change between 60 and 70mins, any later is pointless. If he is in form then he needs to start.

I don't think we should experiment with positions to get him minutes unless we see him playing there longterm. Similar with Colakovski, i feel he needs to be pushing Maclaren, maybe at 70mins and avoid playing him wide.

I know it’s early days but perhaps Rafa is already ahead of him for the CF position? Sorry I’m talking about Colakovaski now.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Great points,

Agreed. I thought it was a general coaching "rule-of-thumb" that if you're bringing on an attacking substitute you need to give him 20 minutes plus. You only do it later if it's an injury substitution.

And experimenting with positions is surely something for the training ground rather than competitive matches?

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I know it’s early days but perhaps Rafa is already ahead of him for the CF position? Sorry I’m talking about Colakovaski now.

Yes, I was wondering that thinking about our selection for Macarthur. I rate RBR highly and think he's vying with Bos to be our new youth breakout.

• Like 1

I believe that Tilio is a great talent and he will go onto bigger and better things. However he would be making the same mistake Arzani made if he was to leave before next season... 

Reckon one more season where he pushes into the starting 11 will set him up nicely for the next step in his career. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, I was wondering that thinking about our selection for Macarthur. I rate RBR highly and think he's vying with Bos to be our new youth breakout.

Agreed. Rafa just has that little something in the way he moves. Reminds me of several EPL players (not suggesting that he's that level I hasten to add) but he has that fluidity about him.

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I believe that Tilio is a great talent and he will go onto bigger and better things. However he would be making the same mistake Arzani made if he was to leave before next season... 

Reckon one more season where he pushes into the starting 11 will set him up nicely for the next step in his career. 

Agree again. (What am I doing agreeing with everyone today?) Don't go too early and don't go to a club where you're not going to get regular match time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Hope he's watched Akka's move carefully. Don't go too early, and pick a level where you'll get match time...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...