Melbourne Football

Marco Tilio

Shahanga

This young man needs his own thread!

Tilio is still just 19 (born 23/08/2001). Been in Sydney’s youth system for a few years and last year made 3 appearances for them for a full 9 minutes of football.

We must have some good scouts, because the kid looks a genuine prospect.

The last few games when he’s came in he’s had quite an impact. At this rate the coach is going to have no choice but to pick him in the starting side.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Tilio is still just 19 (born 23/08/2001). Been in Sydney’s youth system for a few years and last year made 3 appearances for them for a full 9 minutes of football.

The last few games when he’s came in he’s had quite an impact. At this rate the coach is going to have no choice but to pick him in the starting side.

IMO he's pushing strongly to displace Noone.

41 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Agree he seems like a bit of a hidden gem. Feel more excited with him cutting in with the ball compared to when Noone. 

• Like 1

I thought this forum was obsessed with the Noone statistics - wow look at those stats and there ignore the turnovers.

Jokes aside Noone has been good this season but bloody hell what’s with the over hit crosses!!! Time for more minutes for Marco.

Edited by Mr MO

I think Tilio's going to be subjected to the Alou Kuol effect - he's having too great an impact off the bench and Noone while quieter in recent weeks has been stellar overall this season, ranked #1 in the league for crosses and chances created, and is ranked equal #3 in the league for assists (alongside Maclaren, fwiw). 

Why tinker with what's working? I agree with giving Tilio and Cola more minutes off the bench though as it's evidently reaping the benefits. 

Edited by Nate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

By halfway through the first half I was looking forward to the likely damage done by Tilio and Cola when they came on. That level of pace and skill to come on against a tiring and shattered defence is just destructive. 

I'd say that the way forward is to continue to start Noone and Nabbout, who have the experience and the smarts (e.g. Noone's quickly taken free kick), but gradually give Tilio and Cola more and more minutes. IMO all four players will benefit from that.

Off the field we need to try and secure these lads on good contracts and not see them leave prematurely. And particularly persuade CFG to keep their hands off them for a couple of seasons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Jokes aside Noone has been good this season but bloody hell what’s with the over hit crosses!!! Time for more minutes for Marco.

I have theory about this.

Lanky/skinny guys seem to have this relaxed way of crossing the ball. Their legs are more flexible but it makes them follow through more and seem to hit the back post area or row Z. Nuggety wingers whip the ball with more power and accuracy due to their fat little legs. It's bit like MMA fighting, thin lanky guys prefer the head kicks/liver kicks, nuggets like pounding away at the opponents legs. Its a short swing of the leg, but it's a more accurate pointed movement. 

Anyway #StartNuggetTilio

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HeartFc said:

I have theory about this.

Lanky/skinny guys seem to have this relaxed way of crossing the ball. Their legs are more flexible but it makes them follow through more and seem to hit the back post area or row Z. Nuggety wingers whip the ball with more power and accuracy due to their fat little legs. It's bit like MMA fighting, thin lanky guys prefer the head kicks/liver kicks, nuggets like pounding away at the opponents legs. Its a short swing of the leg, but it's a more accurate pointed movement. 

Anyway #StartNuggetTilio

I don't know what goes on in your mind, but I like it.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Tillio isn’t playing under WJ so “lazy” might not be implied 

Surely you've seen enough evidence by now to realise that that critique of Arzani was entirely warranted and justified? If not lazy then definitely a terrible attitude and ethic.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, citypool said:

Lol you seem to have a bit of attuide with that response 

Ha!

not really. Just worried young Dan is showing a lack the grit to work his way out of the challenges that come when you start being asked to consistently perform at a new level and have stiff competition. Hoping Tilio has the fire in his belly himself. Talent is only part of the picture.

22 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Ha!

not really. Just worried young Dan is showing a lack the grit to work his way out of the challenges that come when you start being asked to consistently perform at a new level and have stiff competition. Hoping Tilio has the fire in his belly himself. Talent is only part of the picture.

Sorry mate I misread your response didn’t mean to come off and then passive

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

Thought he was comfortably best on. 
Gotta fit him into the line up somehow with the front 3 for next season 

I agree, we have to make it work next season otherwise he’ll be wasting our time with us and will go elsewhere. X factor he has.

9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I agree, we have to make it work next season otherwise he’ll be wasting our time with us and will go elsewhere. X factor he has.

Whoever we have as wingers, present or a Noone replacement, Tilio is going to push them all the way. In fact I would consider him a starting player, and I'd question whether we really do need to replace Noone. 

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Whoever we have as wingers, present or a Noone replacement, Tilio is going to push them all the way. In fact I would consider him a starting player, and I'd question whether we really do need to replace Noone. 

No we don’t, well in fact Leckie replaced Noone. Forward line is set. You can add Atkinson to the forward line too now.

Should keep playing Tilio as a starter almost irrespective of what the other options are. He's a raw talent, full of potential and exciting to watch. We, and the A-league need that. You want the club and its supporter base to grow, then players like him, Atkinson and Metcalfe are the foundation. 

In my opinion, club should have a separate target for producing socceroos. Something like:  5 socceroos this decade.  

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don’t think we’ve signed Leckie as a marquee to sit on the bench. Tilio’s best chance may therefore be taking Nabbout’s spot.

Anyway I guess it’s like centre back- you need 3 good enough to start to cover the 2 spots.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Tilio has replaced Najjarine in the Olyroos squad. Well deserved on recent performances.

Indeed.

to be clear though he’s just in the “train on” squad. They are going to Japan solely to ride the bullet train*

* or they are on standby in case someone in the squad proper is injured. (Either way it shows he’s on the gaffer’s radar)

Edited by Shahanga