Melbourne Football

Bullshit Watch

hedaik

This is Delukas green line.

well its not official yet.

And as far as i understand it green lines are not awaded for being first its for anyone who is so confident something is happening they are willing to go on record because they have a source they 100% trust. Which will mean both of you get one if/when its officially announced.

Correct Hedaik?

• Like 3

I'm prepared to give him a chance, yes he's old but the EPL and the Championship are two of the most grueling leagues in the world so he'll be adequately equipped to deal with the A-League imo

The most interesting statistic (thanks Wiki) is that he has never been sent off in his 450 EPL games so with that in mind and considering Kisnorbo's and Chapman's disciplinary record, it's a yes from me 

If we sign this Aaron Hughes guy, and the Bruno Fornaroli and EPL goalkeeper reports are true, then Germano is officially gone.

Don't like the idea of losing useful loyal players for aging 1 season journeymen. 

It can hardly be called loyalty if there has been nothing to even test that loyalty.  He has spent the majority of his time with the club injured and I doubt any club has even enquired about signing him or even shown any interest. You are not being loyal if your only realistic option is to stay where you are.

I like what Germano can do on the pitch, but he is hardly ever on it. I will be glad to see the back of him.

• Like 6

It can hardly be called loyalty if there has been nothing to even test that loyalty.  He has spent the majority of his time with the club injured and I doubt any club has even enquired about signing him or even shown any interest. You are not being loyal if your only realistic option is to stay where you are.

I like what Germano can do on the pitch, but he is hardly ever on it. I will be glad to see the back of him.

But he's a good bloke though. Lets give him another season.

With you on this.

Do we want to feel good about "our culture" by re-signing players who have no other options and to "help them out" or do we want to build a culture of winners?  Not saying we should be an "every man for himself" club, but clearly just re-signing someone because "he's a good bloke" is not going to help us win games.  

If Jonny wants to be an Australian citizen there are still plenty of avenues for him.

I probably didn't need to bring the whole 'loyalty' discussion into the matter.

More of the point I was making was that I dislike signing aging players that'll only be around for 1 season. Signing such players in place of useful players who can be around for multiple seasons sounds like a dubious strategy for success to me. Better to build a team around players that can stick around for multiple seasons (annoyingly Victory are a good example. And so were Brisbane Roar in their Postecoglou pomp).

Just look at the players Melbourne Heart/City have signed that only played for 1 season (or less): Steven Gray, Vince Grella, Damien Duff, Paul Reid, Marcel Meeuwis, Jamie Coyne, Michael Mifsud, Harry Kewell, John Aloisi, Josip Skoko, Michael Beauchamp, Gerald Sibon. More miss than hit, and I reckon that's just the way it is with aging players on 1 season contracts.

I'm getting tired of constantly signing aging players who only have 1 season left in them. I guess if the team is successful then the decisions are vindicated. But if not, then we just spend (another) unsuccessful season watching players on their last legs run around, before the season ends and we sign up aging players on 1 year deals for the next season.... and so on and so on..

More of the point I was making was that I dislike signing aging players that'll only be around for 1 season. Signing such players in place of useful players who can be around for multiple seasons sounds like a dubious strategy for success to me. Better to build a team around players that can stick around for multiple seasons (annoyingly Victory are a good example. And so were Brisbane Roar in their Postecoglou pomp).

Just look at the players Melbourne Heart/City have signed that only played for 1 season (or less): Steven Gray, Vince Grella, Damien Duff, Paul Reid, Marcel Meeuwis, Jamie Coyne, Michael Mifsud, Harry Kewell, John Aloisi, Josip Skoko, Michael Beauchamp, Gerald Sibon. More miss than hit, and I reckon that's just the way it is with aging players on 1 season contracts.

I'm getting tired of constantly signing aging players who only have 1 season left in them. I guess if the team is successful then the decisions are vindicated. But if not, then we just spend (another) unsuccessful season watching players on their last legs run around, before the season ends and we sign up aging players on 1 year deals for the next season.... and so on and so on..

I agree that we shouldn't be building the team around ageing players, however I do not see it any different to a younger player who has over his 4 years has made less than two full seasons worth of appearances. I couldn't quickly find data on total minutes played, but I would hazard a guess and say it would paint an even worse picture.  The other issue with Germano is that he is a visa player. Visa players should not be rotation or squad players.

Be fair though Murf...some of the players you have in your list were only ever injury replacements - Meeuwis, Reid, Coyne. Grella didn't cost the club anything, although he occupied a place in the squad. Sibon wanted to stay another year but JvS wouldn't keep him.

The counter argument being that signing players on multiple-year deals means they can stick around even if they're not performing to the level required. Hoffman, Williams, Redmayne, Kalmar, Dugandzic...

However, I take the point people are making. IMO you need a balanced squad and IMO you may need a small number on 1-year contracts so that you can refresh the squad if you need to.

I agree that we shouldn't be building the team around ageing players, however I do not see it any different to a younger player who has over his 4 years has made less than two full seasons worth of appearances. I couldn't quickly find data on total minutes played, but I would hazard a guess and say it would paint an even worse picture.  The other issue with Germano is that he is a visa player. Visa players should not be rotation or squad players.

Germano's record:

11/12:          22 matches     1659 minutes;

12/13:          13 matches       996 minutes;

13/14:          10 matches       694 minutes;

14/15:          11 matches       819 minutes.

I agree with you about 1 season players Murf. Also bothering me.

It's not the club's fault, the A-league rules promote 1 season players. I can't even be bothered listing all the ways this is happening, but a good starter is the fact there is very little incentive to develop youth, which I've talked about quite a few times in the past. 

Be fair though Murf...some of the players you have in your list were only ever injury replacements - Meeuwis, Reid, Coyne. Grella didn't cost the club anything, although he occupied a place in the squad. Sibon wanted to stay another year but JvS wouldn't keep him.

The counter argument being that signing players on multiple-year deals means they can stick around even if they're not performing to the level required. Hoffman, Williams, Redmayne, Kalmar, Dugandzic...

However, I take the point people are making. IMO you need a balanced squad and IMO you may need a small number on 1-year contracts so that you can refresh the squad if you need to.

Germano's record:

11/12:          22 matches     1659 minutes;

12/13:          13 matches       996 minutes;

13/14:          10 matches       694 minutes;

14/15:          11 matches       819 minutes.

Cheers JW.  There was a potential 112 games Germano could have played 27 x 4 regular season 3 finals and 1 FFA Cup for a total of 112 games or 10,080 minutes. Putting his paltry 4,168 minutes at a around 41%.  Not anywhere near enough for a visa player or anyone that is not on a base salary.

Just as a matter of interest I looked at some of the other players we've had.

Ignoring FFA Cup matches, in season: S1 we played 30 matches, S2 28, S3 27, S4 27 and S5 29.

Gerald Sibon (S1): 27 matches for 1988 minutes: 74%.

Robbie Wielaert (S3/S4): 37 matches for 3319 minutes: 66%

Rutger Worm (S1/S2): 45 matches for 3024 minutes: 58%

Fred (S2/S3): 38 matches for 2692 minutes: 54%

Alex Terra (S2/S3): 43 matches for 2413 minutes: 49%

Harry Kewell (S4): 16 matches for 1003 minutes: 41%

Orlando Engelaar (S4): 12 matches for 784 minutes: 32%

Maycon (S2): 13 matches for 500 minutes: 20%

Steven Gray (S3): 1 match for 90 minutes: 4%

Even without doing the others, it's not a good record.

This bloke could probably end up playing as many games as Germano has in three Seasons in his one Season at the club.

Also I would hardly call Germano a loyal servant when he has complained to fans about how he deserves more pay... for being injured most of the time.

• Like 1

This bloke could probably end up playing as many games as Germano has in three Seasons in his one Season at the club.

Also I would hardly call Germano a loyal servant when he has complained to fans about how he deserves more pay... for being injured most of the time.

You'd complain too if you got 50k at work even if you surfed the net for half a day