Melbourne Football

Nick Symeoy

Murfy1

Nicholas Symeoy continuing to harbour high hopes

Chris Hearn

May 25, 2015

Life as a young footballer can be extremely difficult. Only the very best progress, and even then, when given a chance, it must be taken.

Nicholas Symeoy’s stellar 2014 NPL1 campaign with Moreland Zebras earned the 20-year-old a youth contract with Melbourne City. This is not unfamiliar territory for the youngster, who was on the books at cross-town rivals Melbourne Victory as recently as 2013.

A National Youth League [NYL] championship followed in March this year for the 2014 NPL1 Rising Star, who saw his time training with the first team increased. Symeoy made two first-team appearances during City’s A-League campaign, in away matches against Sydney and Adelaide.

The youngster’s progression now sees him on the brink of securing a senior A-League contract. Assured in his ability, Symeoy remains grounded and hopeful that he will remain part of the City revolution.

I visited his home in Tullamarine, where he told me about life as a young professional, sibling rivalry, growing expectations and his hopes for the future.

Nick, what do you want to achieve in the A-League next season?

My hope is to step up into the senior team and push forward to a starting position in the squad.

You’re a versatile player and have played in the centre of defence, as a full-back or in an advanced role on the wing. Which position do you feel is your best?

My best position is at full-back. I like running up and down the line, attacking and defending. It’s a role where I’ve got a little bit more freedom, and where I think I help the team most. I scored 12 goals last year in the NPL for Moreland Zebras as a winger, and the year before that I got 18 assists from right-back. Either way I’m happy, but I’d prefer playing as a full-back.

City have had a few issues with selection in the fullback position, do you think that’s a role you can fill?

I think so. This year has helped me being apart of the senior team, and I think I’m a more established and better all-round player. Hopefully next year I get more opportunities and do what the team needs me to do.

You made two appearances off the bench for the first team this season, how big has that been for your confidence?

It’s been a massive boost. I’ve always believed in myself, but getting the opportunities has meant everything to me. People know a little more about me now, and where I’ve come from. My stature within the team might have grown a little bit too.

Your two appearances to date came away from home. How did you handle the hostile atmosphere in Adelaide and Sydney?

I don’t really pay attention to what happens on the outside. I just play to the best of my ability and hopefully I could impress one or two people!

Speaking of tough opposition, what was it like playing against your old club [Moreland Zebras] and more importantly, your brother Simon?

It was good. There was a bit of banter, a few scuffles and stuff like that. For us, moving the ball around them quickly and getting them out of position to break on them helped us to get a draw. It was a physical game, a battle, and playing the way we did wasn’t always easy.

What kind of stick would you have copped from your brother around the house if you lost?

I actually was in the car with him, and going to the game, all I heard was “We’re gonna beat ya,” which was all in good fun, and on the way home it was “We should have won.” So all I could do is sit there and laugh, and say we [Melbourne City] were the better team. They [Moreland Zebras] thought they had the better chances, but I think they’re a bit too one-eyed!

Melbourne City’s NPL side hit a rough patch a month or so ago, what do you put the consecutive losses down to?

We had a lot of injuries at the time, especially in defence. Lots of guys playing out of position, and a few guys like myself unavailable due to being called up to the senior squad. Everyone gave their best, but eventually having a bit more experience mixed with some of the younger guys really helps.

After making appearances for the first team, do some of the younger players look to you to create an example?

I’ve got a little better stature within the team, but even through the youth team, we’ve always been like a family. We’ve come together and that’s something that helped us to the championship [NYL]. Bringing that into the NPL, we’ve had a lot of different players in different positions, and with the team being more settled with the A-League season finished, as you’ll start to see, we’ll get results as players come back from injury too. I’m pretty confident we’ll get that consistency back.

After Saturday’s 3-1 win against Sunshine George Cross, do you think the team can push for the title?

I reckon we can. We’re not too far off. We dropped a few games, but we’ve got the players to do it. We’ve got players who can score, defend, it’s just going to come down to desire, and the ability to win the physical battles in the NPL1.

Have you noticed any change in your game since coming back to play at NPL1 level?

I’ve noticed a lot of differences in the defensive aspect of my game. The way I tuck in to protect the goals, the way I attack by not running too early. Just little things that you wouldn’t expect to focus on, like whether your touch is right, and good ball speed or ball control. Things that coaches say, but hadn’t really stuck. I’ve seen that pick up in my game, and now I’m more vocal on the field to help out my teammates when I can.

Have you noticed teams in the NPL1 really ‘up’ their game when playing Melbourne City?

Yeah, definitely. Even me, when I was at Moreland playing practice matches against an A-League side, you want to show you’re better than what they’ve got. Difference is now, it’s for points, and it’s a big thing for a local club to play against a team that’s part of the A-League. Every team seems to play better against us!

http://www.mfootball.com.au/nicholas-symeoy-continuing-to-harbour-high-hopes/