Melbourne Football

City v Vi7it0rs April 17

TheStig

10 minutes ago, IssySG said:

It’s football, nothing wrong with a bit of fun.

And nothing wrong with a bit of respect, too. We express opinions on this forum. Mine is that I hope we win and I'll celebrate that if and when it happens. Not before.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And nothing wrong with a bit of respect, too. We express opinions on this forum. Mine is that I hope we win and I'll celebrate that if and when it happens. Not before.

Am I crazy or does the first part of this sentence read a little passive aggressive? Of course youre more than welcome to express your opinion, as I am mine :) I just think if you beat your arch rivals 0-6, theres absolutely nothing wrong with reminding them about it, part of the beauty of football for me. 

• Like 1

Why is everyone so worried? Yes, this club loves to lose these types of games but this is by far the worst Victory team ever vs our best side ever.

Interesting little thing I picked up on in regards to positioning in our last game. If victory want to have any chance they'd want to address the bizarre nature of their players average position. Not only did they have no spread but both LB/RB left our attacking wingers well goal side of them. This could simply mean our wingers aren't tracking back due to good cover but it does still mean they are very vulnerable to speed and counter attacks. 

BTW we're the navy icons below.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.17.57 pm.png

Edited by HeartFc

6 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Why is everyone so worried? Yes, this club loves to lose these types of games but this is by far the worst Victory team ever vs our best side ever.

Interesting little thing I picked up on in regards to positioning in our last game. If victory want to have any chance they'd want to address the bizarre nature of their players average position. Not only did they have no spread but both LB/RB left our attacking wingers well goal side of them. This could simply mean our wingers aren't tracking back due to good cover but it does still mean they are very vulnerable to speed and counter attacks. 

BTW we're the navy icons below.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.17.57 pm.png

I kept assuming we were sky blue and was very confused!

Our supporters like to worry! We’re used to it.

Now I watched back to back games last week. The Newcastle-Tards game then our clash v Sydney. It was hard to believe both games were in the same league, such was the gulf in standard.

There is no rational reason to be nervous, yet its game day, so I am.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

There is no rational reason to be nervous, yet its game day, so I am.

We have a lot of experiences to back up the nervousness! All those points that we have thrown away in the dying minutes of matches. I used to joke with one of our gang that I never believed that Heart, and then City, had won until we were back on Richmond station and they actually had.

It's really nothing to do with it being a derby - the derby just highlights it because after the match many of us will travel home alongside Victory supporters.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bt50 said:

NZ Knights were pretty bad, but they weren't defensively as bad as the Mongs.
FWIW

Goals scored ave
MV 20/21            1.00 goals per game
NZ 05/06             0.71 goals per game

Goals against ave

MV 20/21            2.33 goals per game
NZ 05/06             2.24 goals per game

and yet the Mariners (x2) have conceded 70 goals and Brisbane 71 in a season for averages above 2.5 - leaking goals isn't the only measure of a team.

we can talk on stats all we want, there's a certain level of class (and whole reason why they were folded) when you play as bad as the NZ Knights.

Edited by mattyh001

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Derby day and not a single mention in the Nine press. They certainly aren't trying very hard given that they want the broadcasting rights for Stan.

they wouldn't want to give the impression to anybody thatThe A league is worth more, and of interest, to anybody at all, until their lowest bid is the succesful one. Then they will flog the shit out of it until NRL season. Then it will be crickets chirping and deafening silence so their 900m NRL investment is not impacted upon. I am concerned that they are buting A league to control it as they see fit. 

Big breweries like Carlton buy dozens of boutique breweries every year for the very same reason. 

3 hours ago, HughJass said:

Anyone have any issues with tickets allocated as originally ours said aisle 76 when booking so level 3, but tickets arrived saying aisle 6 but level 3 😕

It gets a bit messy with the difference between bays and aisles for AAMI Park. But there’s no issue, just how it’s designed if you look at the map below. 

232BD7BD-7D77-4C8E-B19A-1829EF572D3C.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Derby day and not a single mention in the Nine press. They certainly aren't trying very hard given that they want the broadcasting rights for Stan.

I am surprised at that, Lynch usually offers good articles.

But then.. the A-League has really suffered in the Melbourne media  this year. 

Herald Sun has gone to hell with its A-League coverage since the fulltime football writer took another job elsewhere.  I could not find a match preview in the paper today, whereas in years past there would be a 2-page spread before the derby.

After recent City and even V*****y games,  the Herald Sun's website ''football section'' has merely posted a link to a Fox TV wrap of the game with 2min of highlights.  Nary a printed word on the web 2hrs later, not like the last 10yrs..  I won't expect any different tonight.

A day later, the paper has a match report..... but the website is now officially hopeless for City coverage (AND non -AFL sport is run from Sydney).

I only ever see very occasional glimpses of any Vic A-League goals on Seven News a day later.

This must change for the League to get the buzz back.

Edited by CityWildcat

2 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

I am surprised at that, Lynch usually offers good articles.

But then.. the A-League has really suffered in the Melbourne media  this year. 

Herald Sun has gone to hell with its A-League coverage since the fulltime football writer took another job elsewhere.  I could not find a match preview in the paper today, whereas in years past there would be a 2-page spread before the derby.

After recent City and even V*****y games,  the Herald Sun's website ''football section'' has merely posted a link to a Fox TV wrap of the game with 2min of highlights.  Nary a printed word on the web 2hrs later, not like the last 10yrs..  I won't expect any different tonight.

A day later, the paper has a match report..... but the website is now officially hopeless for City coverage (AND non -AFL sport is run from Sydney).

I only ever see very occasional glimpses of any Vic A-League goals on Seven News a day later.

This must change for the League to get the buzz back.

NewsCorpse have clearly lost interest, that's reflected in both Pay TV and print media coverage. Nine could at least pretend to be interested before they get the deal. Lynch's coverage is good when it appears but it's clearly a low priority for the editorial team. The Age website has a special AFL section full of AFL (naturally) but also a sport section, full of ...AFL. 

Edited by belaguttman
  • Thanks 1

visit0rs will just park the bus for the second half, yes they defend poorly but I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if we can make it a tennis straight sets 6-0, 6-0.

What could be better though, top of the ladder baring a disaster.

Oh yes, top of the ladder from a derby win.

...and visit0rs bottom of the ladder.