Melbourne Football

City v Vi7it0rs April 17

TheStig

I'm a little worried about this game.

If the Visitors instead decide to play their womens team against us they might look vagually competitive although the result would easily still go our way. Its been a while since City has played a Victory team that can score goals.

Nevertheless they will probably persist with their mens players thus guaranteeing us an easy 3 points.

I'm surpised they still haven't sacked their coach. only a matter of time.

Edited by jw1739

49 minutes ago, TheStig said:

I'm a little worried about this game.

If the Visitors instead decide to play their womens team against us they might look vagually competitive although the result would easily still go our way. Its been a while since City has played a Victory team that can score goals.

Nevertheless they will probably persist with their mens players thus guaranteeing us an easy 3 points.

I'm surpised they still haven't sacked their coach. only a matter of time.

Anything can happen in a Derby and I would never write MV off. We need to improve on taking easy chances to score - at the moment we're squandering far too many. Noone, Jmac, Nabbout and Berenguer all guilty of this.

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Based on the tards form we should win about 8-0.

Life rarely works like that though, and their lucky win over a woeful Newcastle will give them some confidence. 

I feel like this game is going to be massive banana peel. Strangely, the fact that they did beat Newcastle does give me a bit more confidence,as it would just be too Heart/City for MV to break their losing streak against us.

• Haha 1

Disappointed Nabbout probably won't be there to tear them a new one again. This is the most comfortable I'll ever be going into a derby, they are playing a bunch of kids who are nowhere as good as our kids. 

4-0 straight forward win, JMac hattrick 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Le Hack said:

If Nabbout doesn't come up would we use Tilio or Colakovski starting on the wing? Or move say Luna to the wing, use Flo, Metcalfe and Griff in midfield and Reis at CB?

Surely we reward the youth and start either Colakovski or Tilio. 

I prefer Cola despite Tilio's goal and penalty win over the past two games, as I think Cola has a tad more composure on the ball which is important if either of them starts.

7 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

If Nabbout doesn't come up would we use Tilio or Colakovski starting on the wing? Or move say Luna to the wing, use Flo, Metcalfe and Griff in midfield and Reis at CB?

Cola starts imo, although Tilio would have to be a chance.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

This but I’d play metcalfe and Luna ahead of florin 

I love what Luna brings to the table but i feel Flo's creativity is far more important to our performance. In saying that he's an easy first man to hook if its not working and you want to turn the pressure up.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I love what Luna brings to the table but i feel Flo's creativity is far more important to our performance. In saying that he's an easy first man to hook if its not working and you want to turn the pressure up.

Luna is not himself of late, under par prior to injury and last season. Florin and Metcalf should start IMO but if Berenguer vanishes again as in the Sydney game then Luna will be in there quick enough. Tilio played in midfield during pre-season too.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Luna is not himself of late, under par prior to injury and last season. Florin and Metcalf should start IMO but if Berenguer vanishes again as in the Sydney game then Luna will be in there quick enough. Tilio played in midfield during pre-season too.

Berenguer only vanishes in tough games not easy ones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For me Tilio starts, but it's a flip of coin between him and Cola. Reis slots back into defence with Griff into midfield with Metcalfe and another flip of coin between Flo and Luna, I'd lean towards Luna for mine he justg has a couple more credits in the bank

1 hour ago, neio said:

For me Tilio starts, but it's a flip of coin between him and Cola. Reis slots back into defence with Griff into midfield with Metcalfe and another flip of coin between Flo and Luna, I'd lean towards Luna for mine he justg has a couple more credits in the bank

Tillio for me over Cola only because Colas speed is handy late in games 

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

I don't like the over optimistic comments I'm seeing from many people on Facebook etc. Just shut up until after the game. 

Exactly.. don’t get why people are so confident it’s a derby. Look what happened in the Christmas derby 2019 when we were all so confident 

On 12/04/2021 at 8:12 AM, malloy said:

I feel like this game is going to be massive banana peel. Strangely, the fact that they did beat Newcastle does give me a bit more confidence,as it would just be too Heart/City for MV to break their losing streak against us.

I remember those times at Heart where we were absolutely shit and competed for the wooden spoon, but always turned up and defeated victory on a number of occasions. I wouldnt be surprised if this is going to be a vice-versa effect on Saturday

Case in point: Season 2013-2014 where we finished rock bottom, W (1) D(1) L(1) against victory that season

Edited by Young Polak
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Young Polak said:

I remember those times at Heart where we were absolutely shit and competed for the wooden spoon, but always turned up and defeated victory on a number of occasions. I wouldnt be surprised if this is going to be a vice-versa effect on Saturday

Case in point: Season 2013-2014 where we finished rock bottom, W (1) D(1) L(1) against victory that season

What a derby. The stadium and active support were packed too!

• Like 2

i get the hesitancy to put ourselves out there but i like it tbh. Shows we've grown, and ultimately if we cant laugh at ourselves then we're starting to become more like the Mong fans we hate.
And fwiw i dont think any of our squads were ever as bad as THIS victory squad is. 
The season 4 team obviously was a spud team but they were at least competitive even though they were 'unlucky'. I had far more faith in that team playing well and going down 2-0 than i do this Victory team not getting wiped nearly every week they play. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Young Polak said:

jeez that kit looked great.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

i get the hesitancy to put ourselves out there but i like it tbh. Shows we've grown, and ultimately if we cant laugh at ourselves then we're starting to become more like the Mong fans we hate.
And fwiw i dont think any of our squads were ever as bad as THIS victory squad is. 
The season 4 team obviously was a spud team but they were at least competitive even though they were 'unlucky'. I had far more faith in that team playing well and going down 2-0 than i do this Victory team not getting wiped nearly every week they play. 

This. We got the spoon that year, but still were A League standard. A comparison for this season might be Newcastle. On their day they could beat anyone, but mostly it’s not their day.

Tards this year look NPL standard. On their day they could beat Newcastle.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Young Polak said:

Those were great days when we were the underdog. No disrespect to the new owners but winning seemed to mean more then. It was great to see derby days with a full house. Somehow the passion seems to have diminished... :( Maybe I'm looking through rose and white coloured glasses. 

Nevertheless I'll be there on Saturday to see us (hopefully) notch up another derby win. unliek most Victory supporters who have jumped off the bandwagon.

And Engelaar. What a legend. No slick marketing, just pure class. 

Edited by TheStig
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

This. We got the spoon that year, but still were A League standard. A comparison for this season might be Newcastle. On their day they could beat anyone, but mostly it’s not their day.

Tards this year look NPL standard. On their day they could beat Newcastle.

Tards are entering NZ Knights territory for worst ever😏

TBF they are miles away from our dark days under Mr Unlucky, and if you actually look at all time games won we are currently 9th.

But having said that they are currently as bad as top tier A League club ever, and its going to get worse for them before they have a hope to improve. 

• Like 1

Big inclusions with Jamo and O'Neill back. Real competition for spots in midfield now 

1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Nuno REIS, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Aiden O’NEILL, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 11.Craig NOONE, 14.Naoki TSUBAKI, 15.Andrew NABBOUT, 16.Taras GOMULKA, 17.Stefan COLAKOVSKI, 18.Connor METCALFE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Adrian LUNA, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Marco TILIO, 33.Matthew SUTTON (gk), 36.Kerrin STOKES.

**2 to be omitted**

In: 3.Scott JAMIESON (returns from injury), 8.Aiden O’NEILL (returns from injury), 36.Kerrin STOKES (promoted).

49 minutes ago, neio said:

Big inclusions with Jamo and O'Neill back. Real competition for spots in midfield now 

1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Nuno REIS, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Aiden O’NEILL, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 11.Craig NOONE, 14.Naoki TSUBAKI, 15.Andrew NABBOUT, 16.Taras GOMULKA, 17.Stefan COLAKOVSKI, 18.Connor METCALFE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Adrian LUNA, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Marco TILIO, 33.Matthew SUTTON (gk), 36.Kerrin STOKES.

**2 to be omitted**

In: 3.Scott JAMIESON (returns from injury), 8.Aiden O’NEILL (returns from injury), 36.Kerrin STOKES (promoted).

So we're only missing Nate? That's good news. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jovan said:

Tards are entering NZ Knights territory for worst ever😏

TBF they are miles away from our dark days under Mr Unlucky, and if you actually look at all time games won we are currently 9th.

But having said that they are currently as bad as top tier A League club ever, and its going to get worse for them before they have a hope to improve. 

think you might be forgetting how shit the Knights were.  NZ got 6 points their first season (from 21 games).  

that said, couldnt be happier seeing how woeful they are.

8 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

think you might be forgetting how shit the Knights were.  NZ got 6 points their first season (from 21 games).  

that said, couldnt be happier seeing how woeful they are.

NZ Knights were pretty bad, but they weren't defensively as bad as the Mongs.
FWIW

Goals scored ave
MV 20/21            1.00 goals per game
NZ 05/06             0.71 goals per game

Goals against ave

MV 20/21            2.33 goals per game
NZ 05/06             2.24 goals per game