Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

38 minutes ago, Tesla said:

The money was meant to be for marquees, but when the first marquee worth using the money on, Cahill, came around, the only side that were prepared to sign him was us. Since we already had two marquees in the works, they created a 3rd marquee spot, but called it a "season long guest player" and to distinguish it from the current two marquee spots and give the obvious change in rules some credibility they decided the marquee fund was now a season long guest player fund.

So if we had 2 Marquees lined up. Bruno obviously is 1 were is the other?

It was either BS from the club to gain leverage or we actually still have Infact have this mysterious Marquee coming and as such we can't reveal Cahill until the 2nd Marquee is named.

Clutching at straws. Probably. 

It's starting to really irritate me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So if we had 2 Marquees lined up. Bruno obviously is 1 were is the other?

It was either BS from the club to gain leverage or we actually still have Infact have this mysterious Marquee coming and as such we can't reveal Cahill until the 2nd Marquee is named.

Clutching at straws. Probably. 

It's starting to really irritate me.

Maybe the club just wanted to keep the option open, maybe they had someone lined up and it fell through, maybe it's Kilkenny or Fernando and they needed the marquee spot for one of them to keep under the salary cap, or maybe a marquee signing is still coming. A lot of possibilities.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Maybe the club just wanted to keep the option open, maybe they had someone lined up and it fell through, maybe it's Kilkenny or Fernando and they needed the marquee spot for one of them to keep under the salary cap, or maybe a marquee signing is still coming. A lot of possibilities.

Exactly.

Marquee signing to come still remains the most likely though at this stage given the available evidence.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Exactly.

Marquee signing to come still remains the most likely though at this stage given the available evidence.

Agree. Though it would have to be a defender you imagine, which is unusual for a marquee. 

Just now, Tesla said:

Agree. Though it would have to be a defender you imagine, which is unusual for a marquee. 

It seems to be shaping that way, although we do still have that extra visa slot open for a defender. Going to be an interesting month ahead.

On 8/5/2016 at 3:26 PM, Deviant said:

For some reason i'm thinking that we wont see anyone in that high paid spot until mid to late January.

That'd mean the club would've gone 12 months with out having both marquee spots filled. With our finical backing that is simply not good enough.

However, I'm confident we'll bring a new marquee in.

Edited by Jozzy

Im sort of continuing my rant from another thread, but we need defenders. If that means we bring in a marquee defender then so be it. The saying defences win championships is true for a reason, last season the perfect example. We've got Cahill coming so he'll cover teh publicity side of the club. Bring in a central defender thatlol dominate and control our defence and also a solid left back and then not even jvs can stuff this up. 

25 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Im sort of continuing my rant from another thread, but we need defenders. If that means we bring in a marquee defender then so be it. The saying defences win championships is true for a reason, last season the perfect example. We've got Cahill coming so he'll cover teh publicity side of the club. Bring in a central defender thatlol dominate and control our defence and also a solid left back and then not even jvs can stuff this up. 

We definitely need a quality center back. Hopefully it's our Marquee. That just leaves the last visa spot. Is it used in the back 4 or is it a genuine #10. 

For me I would use our last 2 big signings in the back 4. 

So far I'm actually thinking the squad is looking pretty good.

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

We definitely need a quality center back. Hopefully it's our Marquee. That just leaves the last visa spot. Is it used in the back 4 or is it a genuine #10. 

For me I would use our last 2 big signings in the back 4. 

So far I'm actually thinking the squad is looking pretty good.

Marquee CB should be a priority and visa LB. Caceres needs to have a big year as the #10 tho. Cant afford him to go missing in games this year.

16 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Id expect all signings to be announced within the month of August. What does the Serbian Hairdresser say @thisphantomfortress

Haha she only knows about assistant coaching appointments. I have actually asked someone who's been a good source before(same one who said paddy was retiring and going into coaching, as well as Cahill if they could change the marquee rule) and have been given nothing on this one TBH.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Seriously hope we make an announcement this week. 

Can't go into a season without our full allocation of Marquee players and expect to achieve results. 

Also it must be CB.

JvS is quoted as saying we're "looking" and we're "close" but TBH I don't know what to think at this point. I'm finding it a bit hard to believe that with our scouting system, CFG  inter-club links, alleged pulling power etc. we couldn't have had all this all tied up by now. 

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

JvS is quoted as saying we're "looking" and we're "close" but TBH I don't know what to think at this point. I'm finding it a bit hard to believe that with our scouting system, CFG  inter-club links, alleged pulling power etc. we couldn't have had all this all tied up by now. 

If it's anything less than 4 weeks till the start of the season then I'll be disappointed if we haven't made all of our signings. But for all we know, they could be here already given that Brandan was here for a week or two before being announced

Edited by Dylan