Melbourne Football

Phil Petreski

Tesla

Anyone know what the go is with this lad's future?

NYL player of the year, but he has been around for years and hasn't progressed to the first team which is a bad sign if you ask me. Is he signed on next year and is he even still eligible for NYL?

Was called up to the Macedonia u21 squad for the start of the new qualifying campaign. Very much the best possible squad was called up, with the u21s getting first pick of senior national team players that are under 21 as well as its a new campaign for the u21s while the senior team is just playing out the remaining matches of their qualifying cycle. So certainly seems rated by Macedonia.

But surely he need to move up from the NYL next season if he is ever going to be a professional player.

Problem is Tesla is that he is small in height, has average speed for a league level and plays in midfield. Not a good combination. Now if he made up with it with superior skills/ability then he could be looked at but unfortunately he doesn't. He's another example of how big the gulf is between NPL level and the aleague.

Problem is Tesla is that he is small in height, has average speed for a league level and plays in midfield. Not a good combination. Now if he made up with it with superior skills/ability then he could be looked at but unfortunately he doesn't. He's another example of how big the gulf is between NPL level and the aleague.

He's a left back? 

Pretty sure he played there for NYL team

He's playing in the midfield for NPL team.

Regardless he's the most solid LB in the NYL clearly i don't know why we haven't promoted him yet maybe because he's captain? I can see why they wouldn't let him get a senior game if he's the youth team captain. 

I didn't see any NYL games this year but he converted to a midfielder a while back, possibly last off season or whenever it was that he was on loan to the state league. I assumed he played in midfield for the NYL team this year but not sure.

Would make sense why he hasn't got a senior game since our midfield was packed.

Honestly though I don't see a potential Aleague player in him. Not even a bench player. I remember watching a number of youth games where Archibald was a stand out each time yet his time playing in the aleague showed he wasn't anywhere near it.

I tend to agree given he hasn't moved up in all the years he has been here. But he must have been better than Archibald over the course of the season if he won the player of the year (unless Archibald was injured for a while)? Also him being in the Macedonian u21 squad is not to be sneezed at, it's a pretty decent squad currently and has players on the books of Barca and Real Madrid for example. They must rate him as more than just a squad player if they are going to spend money flying him from the other side of the world as opposed to just calling up a domestic player.

Edited by Tesla

Honestly though I don't see a potential Aleague player in him. Not even a bench player. I remember watching a number of youth games where Archibald was a stand out each time yet his time playing in the aleague showed he wasn't anywhere near it.

I tend to agree given he hasn't moved up in all the years he has been here. But he must have been better than Archibald over the course of the season if he won the player of the year (unless Archibald was injured for a while)? Also him being in the Macedonian u21 squad is not to be sneezed at, it's a pretty decent squad currently and has players on the books of Barca and Real Madrid for example. They must rate him as more than just a squad player if they are going to spend money flying him from the other side of the world as opposed to just calling up a domestic player.

One of his better qualities is he has a good head on his shoulders, generally makes good decisions when passing. One could say though he was a successful nyl player and has been selected for the under 21s for Macedonia because he is good player when competing against other youth teams.

With Archibald he featured in all nyl games until he was out of favour after his infamous performance during the CCM game. He moved on from the club quite soon after that as far as I know.

• 3 months later...

So who can explain the story with Phil?

How come he can't get a look in in our firsts, yet Macedonia, who seem to have a better U23 team than Australia, want to bring him in from half way around the world?

What am I missing?

Incidentally this was the Australian squad:

Mustafa AMINI (Randers FC, Denmark), Brandon BORRELLO (Brisbane Roar FC), Joshua BRILLANTE (Empoli, Italy), Cameron BURGESS (Fulham FC, England), Daniel DE SILVA (Roda JC Kerkrade, Netherlands), Milos DEGENEK (1860 Munich, Germany), James DONACHIE (Brisbane Roar FC), Jack DUNCAN (Randers FC, Denmark), Ryan EDWARDS (Uncontracted), Giancarlo GALLIFUOCO (Swansea FC, England), Scott GALLOWAY (Melbourne Victory FC), Jason GERIA (Melbourne Victory FC), John HALL (Adelaide United FC), Andrew HOOLE (Sydney FC), Paul IZZO (Central Coast Mariners FC), Awer MABIL (FC Midtjylland, Denmark), Jamie MACLAREN (Brisbane Roar FC), Chris NAUMOFF (Sydney FC), Connor PAIN (Melbourne Victory FC), Steven UGARKOVIC (NK Osijek, Croatia), Brad SMITH (Uncontracted), Adam TAGGART (Fulham FC, England), Riley WOODCOCK (Sydney FC).
Read more at http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/olyroos-arrive-in-turkey-ahead-of-international-friendly/itdkhhz3v1zt1c8t8qp9u8ycl#OXh1CVqCSpUzpLKu.99

So who can explain the story with Phil?

How come he can't get a look in in our firsts, yet Macedonia, who seem to have a better U23 team than Australia, want to bring him in from half way around the world?

What am I missing?

Incidentally this was the Australian squad:

Mustafa AMINI (Randers FC, Denmark), Brandon BORRELLO (Brisbane Roar FC), Joshua BRILLANTE (Empoli, Italy), Cameron BURGESS (Fulham FC, England), Daniel DE SILVA (Roda JC Kerkrade, Netherlands), Milos DEGENEK (1860 Munich, Germany), James DONACHIE (Brisbane Roar FC), Jack DUNCAN (Randers FC, Denmark), Ryan EDWARDS (Uncontracted), Giancarlo GALLIFUOCO (Swansea FC, England), Scott GALLOWAY (Melbourne Victory FC), Jason GERIA (Melbourne Victory FC), John HALL (Adelaide United FC), Andrew HOOLE (Sydney FC), Paul IZZO (Central Coast Mariners FC), Awer MABIL (FC Midtjylland, Denmark), Jamie MACLAREN (Brisbane Roar FC), Chris NAUMOFF (Sydney FC), Connor PAIN (Melbourne Victory FC), Steven UGARKOVIC (NK Osijek, Croatia), Brad SMITH (Uncontracted), Adam TAGGART (Fulham FC, England), Riley WOODCOCK (Sydney FC).
Read more at http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/olyroos-arrive-in-turkey-ahead-of-international-friendly/itdkhhz3v1zt1c8t8qp9u8ycl#OXh1CVqCSpUzpLKu.99

You're obviously missing the same thing that I'm also missing.