Melbourne Football

Sydney v Melbourne City FC - Saturday 10th April 5.05pm

n i k o

Sydney coming off a midweek game against Perth but playing at home. This game has the potential to give us the mental edge over the teams around us. A win will:

1. Put us top of the ladder with 1 game in hand over ccm.

2. Clear us 5 points away from Adelaide who have equal games played as us and are playing on the same day. 

3. Stop Macarthur possibly going ahead of us prior to their game next Wednesday.

4. Give us more confidence leading into the derby. 

5. Give us vital points away, with the only away game left being Macarthur in 2 weeks time. 

6. Huge mental belief 

Edited by n i k o

57 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Sydney coming off a midweek game against Perth but playing at home. This game has the potential to give us the mental edge over the teams around us. A win will:

2. Clear us 5 points away from Adelaide who have equal games played as us and are playing on the same day. 

3. Stop Macarthur possibly going ahead of us prior to their game next Wednesday.

5. Give us vital points away, with the only away game left being Macarthur in 2 weeks time. 

6. Huge mental belief in seeing top position almost within our grasp, given our favourable schedule over the remaining 5 games. 

How many matches are we due to play this season? Aren't we supposed to get to 26?

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

How many matches are we due to play this season? Aren't we supposed to get to 26?

I got the info off the aleague website but your post made me check again and on google fixtures and it looks as though we also have games against ccm, jets and Perth as well. The fixture is all over the place. Granted we have more games than I let on in my post. 

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

6. Huge mental belief 

This is the game. Win this and the belief that we go on with it will permeate through absolutely everyone.

FWIW i did think the Mariners game was a bit of a glass ceiling too but this one will leave no doubts imo.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, n i k o said:

I got the info off the aleague website but your post made me check again and on google fixtures and it looks as though we also have games against ccm, jets and Perth as well. The fixture is all over the place. Granted we have more games than I let on in my post. 

19 hours ago, bt50 said:

This is the game. Win this and the belief that we go on with it will permeate through absolutely everyone.

FWIW i did think the Mariners game was a bit of a glass ceiling too but this one will leave no doubts imo.

There's still 10 games left so I wouldn't be counting my chickens / reading too much into it if we win and go top. Way too many things can change, go wrong, etc. 

That said, I'm quietly confident if we keep the squad (particularly the front 3) fit. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

There's still 10 games left so I wouldn't be counting my chickens / reading too much into it if we win and go top. Way too many things can change, go wrong, etc. 

That said, I'm quietly confident if we keep the squad (particularly the front 3) fit. 

Yeh I clearly  didn't research enough how many games were left.

Im probably confident enough in us that i view more games as more likely to win it as it reduces the likelihood of a banana skin result determining your fate. I also dont think any of the other sides are that good that they'll win more than 7/8 of their final 10/12 games.
I think if we win 9 of our last 12 then we'll probably do it by 6 or so points tbh. 

This is an important game. We are 2 points ahead of them with a game in hand.  A win here would rob them of their momentum (they’ve won 2 in a row), give us a useful buffer and of course also put us top, at least for the moment.

We are definitely the better side, but they have Ninkovic. 
(I’m expecting a win)

Edited by Shahanga

4 minutes ago, rass said:

Very critical of Sydney's 'cheating' high defence when we best them last time. Seems like they've tightened that up today. Also, they're closing down and double teaming us as we try and play through, almost suffocating us.

Very good battle.

Yes agreed. 

That’s what 4-4-2 vs 4-3-3 gives you, congestion. We can’t get through in midfield, it’s 4 vs 3 and man marked.

Berenguer is only one in there who can turn and take on a player to make space - he’s got to lift.