Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC W-League

True Until I die

Quite excited by this news! One of the things I was particularly hoping for from the takeover, so I'm pleased it's happened so fast, comparatively speaking.

I wonder if we'll try to sign Melissa Barbieri? She'd presumably be interested in coming back to Melbourne to play since her family is here, and she's made the World Cup squad for the Matildas even if she is getting towards the end of her career.

It will also be interesting to see how much crossover there is between Melbourne City and Manchester City's teams in the offseasons. When does the English league run?

The final games are on Sunday 24th May

Think you may have been looking at the wrong thing. Both the W-League and WSL run March to October or thereabouts, as opposed to the Aug-May of the men's game.

Quite excited by this news! One of the things I was particularly hoping for from the takeover, so I'm pleased it's happened so fast, comparatively speaking.

I wonder if we'll try to sign Melissa Barbieri? She'd presumably be interested in coming back to Melbourne to play since her family is here, and she's made the World Cup squad for the Matildas even if she is getting towards the end of her career.

It will also be interesting to see how much crossover there is between Melbourne City and Manchester City's teams in the offseasons. When does the English league run?

Think you may have been looking at the wrong thing. Both the W-League and WSL run March to October or thereabouts, as opposed to the Aug-May of the men's game.

He didn't mention the Women's team in particular, so I think he meant the EPL.

I agree that it is hard enough to get the HAL clubs to make money, let alone the less commercially lucrative women's game, but that's only half the story.

Women's football is the true driver of growth in our sport in this country at this stage, so opportunities to improve the standard should be welcomed.

As I understand it, no W-League team is fully funded by the HAL club they are aligned with, leaving the burden to finance on the state federation.

Whether or not we have to fully fund our team, whilst MV get to continue their fully funded arrangement with the FFV will be interesting to see.

Biggest club in the league and can't even bother to fund a women's team? You can see why the women do feel let down by their attitude. MV get all the benefits of the club's branding out there, growing their overall supporter base network, yet don't invest a cent, or care for that matter.

lmfao @ the true driver of growth

Fair play, I read it the other way. Turns out I'm wrong anyway, the W-League has just changed to a September to April set-up.

At a guess the womens team would get a cut from the CFG global sponsors that basically act as sponsors of all CFG team.. like say NISSAN
But money is no concern really, W-league teams are cheap to run and it wouldn´t surprise me if CFG are willing to put some extra cash their way.

Fair play, I read it the other way. Turns out I'm wrong anyway, the W-League has just changed to a September to April set-up. I was asking about the WSL; because the wleague season is so short, a lot of the top players try to go overseas in the Australian offseason, so links with a club in a league playing during that time might be helpful. It looks like they don't have that much overlap which is good. (Also it's she not he, btw. :) )

No television coverage currently will really hurt the progression of the wleague. Ffa need to work with foxtel and have one marquee game a week to help introduce new people to the game. All for a game before the Sunday afternoon time slot.

Also, this is a direct reaction to the AFL's set up of the woman's league in 2017. If you can encourage and give more opportunities for girls to move to a semi professional league rather than there being no opportunities after juniors the more people you will retain in the sport. Afl lack this and are only now seeing the importance of having women playing the game to an older age. This is where soccer excels.

• Like 1

No television coverage currently will really hurt the progression of the wleague. Ffa need to work with foxtel and have one marquee game a week to help introduce new people to the game. All for a game before the Sunday afternoon time slot.

Also, this is a direct reaction to the AFL's set up of the woman's league in 2017. If you can encourage and give more opportunities for girls to move to a semi professional league rather than there being no opportunities after juniors the more people you will retain in the sport. Afl lack this and are only now seeing the importance of having women playing the game to an older age. This is where soccer excels.

Or perhaps use them as a trial for an FFA internet streaming service. Work out the logistics, audiences, approach, etc.

• Like 1

Alex Chidiac would be my first choice. Younger, talented and plenty of international experience. 

Meikayla Moore would be my second pick. Again, same credentials although she is a NZ international. 

Erin Nayler to accompany and learn from Melissa Barbieri in goals.

Emma Checker would cost too much to get her over from victory... only because they would make it hard for us. I'd rather spend the money on Alex Chidiac.

At a guess we´ll see a womens team as part of New York City FC as well, eventually that is..

Fair play, I read it the other way. Turns out I'm wrong anyway, the W-League has just changed to a September to April set-up. I was asking about the WSL; because the wleague season is so short, a lot of the top players try to go overseas in the Australian offseason, so links with a club in a league playing during that time might be helpful. It looks like they don't have that much overlap which is good. (Also it's she not he, btw. :) )

Makes sense, though I'm not sure whether this will happen or not. Would be interesting if it did.

Does women's football have any cup competitions? One of the things that frustrates me about women's football is that they get so few games. At least with the WSL they have two cups, one of which has a league stage guaranteeing at least 4-5 games for each team. If not, it would suck. 16 games is pathetic for a full league season.

At a guess we´ll see a womens team as part of New York City FC as well, eventually that is..

Will definitely happen. It's already been talked about, though no actual action as yet.

Edited by Falastur

Alex Chidiac would be my first choice. Younger, talented and plenty of international experience. 

Meikayla Moore would be my second pick. Again, same credentials although she is a NZ international. 

Erin Nayler to accompany and learn from Melissa Barbieri in goals.

Emma Checker would cost too much to get her over from victory... only because they would make it hard for us. I'd rather spend the money on Alex Chidiac.

Emma Checker hotter sorry

Makes sense, though I'm not sure whether this will happen or not. Would be interesting if it did.

Does women's football have any cup competitions? One of the things that frustrates me about women's football is that they get so few games. At least with the WSL they have two cups, one of which has a league stage guaranteeing at least 4-5 games for each team. If not, it would suck. 16 games is pathetic for a full league season. Not at the wleague level, not sure about the states. It's very frustrating, the season's not even long enough for all teams to play each other home and away. I don't know why people expect amazing quality from so little playing time. City joining presumably means more games which is good.

I agree that it is hard enough to get the HAL clubs to make money, let alone the less commercially lucrative women's game, but that's only half the story.

Women's football is the true driver of growth in our sport in this country at this stage, so opportunities to improve the standard should be welcomed.

As I understand it, no W-League team is fully funded by the HAL club they are aligned with, leaving the burden to finance on the state federation.

Whether or not we have to fully fund our team, whilst MV get to continue their fully funded arrangement with the FFV will be interesting to see.

Biggest club in the league and can't even bother to fund a women's team? You can see why the women do feel let down by their attitude. MV get all the benefits of the club's branding out there, growing their overall supporter base network, yet don't invest a cent, or care for that matter.

What are you laughing at in that statement?

One look at the FFA's plan and at numerous data points over the last few years shows just how fast women's football is becoming more and more important part of our sport.

Our club finally getting permission to start a W-League side could well give us a substantial benefit in terms of fan engagement over the next few years across our brand.

One look at the FFA's plan and at numerous data points over the last few years shows just how fast women's football is becoming more and more important part of our sport.

Our club finally getting permission to start a W-League side could well give us a substantial benefit in terms of fan engagement over the next few years across our brand.

How much revenue does the W-league bring the ffa ?

How much revenue does the W-league bring the ffa ?

Why does that matter? 

here is lil tommy at his local club playing in the u9s team, do you think he gives a shit about the w-league?

whether you like it or not, football is watched mainly by males and unless these girls are naked, the majority of males do not care for women's football.

the FFA should be putting their focus into other things

This is like the Chicken and Egg debate. You guys need to work which comes first/is the true test of football growth - fans or money.

it certainly wasn't women's football

Haha, true enough.

I suspect that the FFA's comment was inspired by that statistic that is floating around at the moment, that in terms of participation women's football is the world's fastest growing sport.

I don't get the negatively towards the woman's game.

I just see it as something extra and not at the expense of existing. It's never going to be huge but it will generate some interest for the club and bring in new people that previously wouldn't have been interested in City.

To me it's nothing but positive.

• Like 3

This is like the Chicken and Egg debate. You guys need to work which comes first/is the true test of football growth - fans or money.

it certainly wasn't women's football Haha, true enough.

I suspect that the FFA's comment was inspired by that statistic that is floating around at the moment, that in terms of participation women's football is the world's fastest growing sport.

Its not hard to have a large percentage of growth when the absolute base figures are low.

• Like 1

I don't get the negatively towards the woman's game.

I just see it as something extra and not at the expense of existing. It's never going to be huge but it will generate some interest for the club and bring in new people that previously wouldn't have been interested in City.

Agree with this. Would be even better if CFG manage to convince the FFA to have the women's team be a curtain raiser for the main match. I also would not mind having the NYL played as a curtain raiser where possible.

• Like 2

Exactly.

To me, it all about family growth - the club's family of men's, youth, NPL and now women's sides which all interest different demographics. Great if you have daughters as well and take them to AAMI Park to see the mens senior side, now they too could potentially play for the club or at least have role models.

Seems like our W-League side is now in it for the long run, whereas under the Heart model, you'd be forgiven for wondering if the money or interest would be in it after every season.

The CFG model where some companies like NISSAN do sponsor the whole group mean that womens teams get their cut as well..albeit a small one compared to the men.
On the other hand the MCFC womens team are probably one of the best funded in the U.K given that CFG did build a stadium at the CFA (7k capacity) for the womens team and the academy so I´m not sure that money really enters the picture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Q&A: Inaugural Melbourne City W-League coach Joe Montemurro

By Craig Stockdale

May 29, 2015

Melbourne City FC were recently granted a license from Football Federation Australia to enter a team into the W-League for 2015/2016 season.

The club has appointed Joe (Pepe) Montemurro to inaugural head coach in 2015/2016, who is well known to the football community in Victoria, having previously coached Melbourne Victory to a semi-final in 2015 and administering the NTC female development squad.

He is currently also working at City, coaching the club’s NPL Victoria team.

Montemurro is well credentialed and will set about stamping his style and culture over the Melbourne City FC women’s team, the W-League’s most recent inclusion based at the City Football Academy in Bundoora, where it will train on the Club’s Academy Pitches located at La Trobe University.

Given the financial uncertainty surrounding Newcastle Jets and Brisbane Roar, the FFA’s move to allow Melbourne City enter the league will assist with consolidation and stability for both men’s and women’s leagues in the year ahead.

The Whole of Football Plan’s vision could be in danger of not achieving its targets if clubs are not financially stable in the future, however Melbourne City FC certainly does not have this issue to deal with being one of the richest and well-managed groups globally.

With the W-League commencing in September this year, Montemurro will take the reins at the conclusion of the NPL season, but will commence the recruitment process immediately to assemble a squad ahead of the W-League season.

With many unanswered questions surrounding the emergence of Melbourne City into the W-League, Stocky’s Scribbles caught up with Montemurro to better understand what his aspirations are, the recruitment process he will undertake, and the goals set out for the inaugural coach in 2015/2016.

SS: Wonderful news about a second W League Team in Melbourne for the upcoming season. Was this always the plan coming over from Victory?

Joe Montemurro (JM): When I applied for the position at City, there was talk about the W-league side but nothing was concrete. It has always been the club’s ambition to develop a women’s team, but my main focus was, in the first instance, on my duties with the club’s National Premier Leagues teams. Now, as part of dual responsibilities across the men’s development and W-League, I will have two areas of focus.

SS: As the ex-Victory coach, are you likely to bring across players and is there any chance some of the local talent will be given an opportunity to be in the roster as CEO Scott Munn mentioned?

JM: We are currently without a squad at the moment so the player recruitment process is underway. As part of that process we will look to identify and harness potential local talent here in Victoria, and give local girls an opportunity.

SS: On the local talent issue, are you intending to watch some of the local talent in action at the Sportsmart WPL games and if so, what are your thoughts on this league today and its standard as a breeding ground?

JM: I have already been out looking and identifying in the WPL. The league is certainly progressing forward and what I like is the opportunities given to younger players. It’s not uncommon to have a 15 or 16 year old playing senior football. I commend all the WPL coaches for supporting young talent. I do believe that it is a good foundation league for developing potential talent.

SS: I would assume that City will field a female team in new WNPL competition next year as an academy team? Is this in the plan? You always suggested there was a real gap from NTC to W League.

JM: The focus is building a competitive squad for the W-League in our first year. The WNPL would be ideal for the ongoing development and perfect for the identified gap from elite player pathway to W-League. Until we know the model of the WNPL we can’t really forecast where we fit in.

SS: With time moving quickly and you needing to create a squad, is there likely to be a trailing process and if so where and when? Will it be invitation only?

JM: The club will be looking to release this information in the near future as we are planning our schedule as we speak.

SS: Seems Brisbane Roar and Newcastle Jets are in financial distress and the FFA may need to step in. City could simply build an entire team by taking Queenslanders or NSW players? Is this a possibility?

JM: No – I’m more interested in creating our own identity and playing style.

SS: Now that you have been at the City Group for some months, how have you integrated and what are the major positives for you from the move and the City culture?

JM: The move has been great as I’m challenged as a coach consistently, exposed to a wealth of knowledge and innovations. Standards are high and the constant desire to be better is what I really enjoy about the City environment. I’m surrounded by fantastic work colleagues who have made me feel welcome from day one.

SS: The new facilities are world class and on the La Trobe campus so I assume the women will be training at these facilities. Is La Trobe University looking to combine with Melbourne City to have any female scholarships like those in the USA college system?

JM: The W-League side will be treated as a professional team. There should be no distinction between the A-League or W-League sides, both are professional and deserve to be treated in that manner. This is an integral part of the ethos of the City Football Group’s vision. The link with La Trobe is important and ideally it would be great to bring together academic and elite sport arenas. I can really see this happening in our development pathway programs.

SS: Seems the FFA whole of football plan has a big expectations from women’s football. What do you see as critical to growing the sport here in Victoria?

JM: It is important to recognise the significant contribution women footballers have made to the sport. Opportunities to harness and develop young players is critical. Keeping them in the game in the important years from junior to senior football is the identified gap that needs to be bridged – as they will be potential coaches and managers.

SS: The Matildas final 23 squad announcement caused some real conjecture around the exclusions? As a coach, do you think the process undertaken was fair, especially on Brianna Davey?

JM: Difficult decisions are part of coaching and it is difficult to comment on selections as I’m not privy to the information that has made the decision. Knowing Brianna, she will work harder and make sure that she becomes the best – that’s the challenge for her which I know she can achieve.

SS: And finally, what is your expectation from the inaugural year in the W League? Are you just simply looking to take the cup in the first year or is this a multi-year plan?

JM: Build the foundations in the first year for ongoing success, both with results and player development. Exciting times ahead.

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/qa-inaugural-melbourne-city-w-league-coach-joe-montemurro/

• Like 1

And where are they supposed to play?

They'll be playing on the training ground, as announced. There won't be any stands to watch the game, but it's still a viable football pitch. When was that announced? The only comments that I have read are they will be 'based' at bundoora, on the academy/youth pitches. That seemed to refer to training, not playing.

As for JM, he doesn't seem to be getting much out of the youth players in the NPL. Most of them spear frustrated by the experience which is a pity, especially if he is meant to be helping to guide our development program.

Maybe he's better suited to women's coaching. Who knows.

Edited by Heart_fan

Women's league in AFL? F*** me, can picture what sort of butch girls will be playing that sport.

Exactly.

To me, it all about family growth - the club's family of men's, youth, NPL and now women's sides which all interest different demographics. Great if you have daughters as well and take them to AAMI Park to see the mens senior side, now they too could potentially play for the club or at least have role models.

Seems like our W-League side is now in it for the long run, whereas under the Heart model, you'd be forgiven for wondering if the money or interest would be in it after every season.

The CFG model where some companies like NISSAN do sponsor the whole group mean that womens teams get their cut as well..albeit a small one compared to the men.

On the other hand the MCFC womens team are probably one of the best funded in the U.K given that CFG did build a stadium at the CFA (7k capacity) for the womens team and the academy so I´m not sure that money really enters the picture.

Whilst I agree that in an ideal world we should have the whole package of football - men, women and youth/children - I'm not sure that FFA has the money or expertise to manage that whole package. The men's game at the A-League level already has plenty of troubles; even without looking into the past the upheavals at Perth and Newcastle this season are evidence of that.

I'd say that money very definitely enters the picture when we get down to the playing level. IMO Melbourne City, with our own training and administrative base at CFA Bundoora, is the only A-League entity that comes anywhere near a "club" in the traditional sense of the word, and even we do not have a small ground with spectator facilities that could be used for junior and women's matches. Interest in, and consequently the impact of, our youth and women's sides is and will be diminished by the fact that neither have a playing "home" where players and spectators alike feel that they "belong."

Doesn't mean to say that we shouldn't be in youth and women's football, but IMO there's a lot of hard work ahead to make it all successful.