Melbourne Football

2021 Finals (& impact of international duty, coronavirus etc.)

On 06/06/2021 at 8:19 PM, jw1739 said:

There's no question that Sydney have the momentum. They have won their last 5 matches, our last 5 see two wins, two draws and a defeat. We started to lose our momentum with the match against Phoenix, when we conceded a late goal, IMO PK erred in his approach to the match in Brisbane, and if VAR was against us today in the Victory match it was on our side against Central Coast.

The Elimination Finals are Central Coast vs. Macarthur, and Brisbane vs. Adelaide. I'm tipping that Central Coast and Brisbane will run out winners there.

If so, we will play Brisbane, and Sydney will play Central Coast. With the availability of players as it is, I'm afraid I see the Grand Final being between Sydney and Brisbane, and Sydney to win it.

Whatever the season finally delivers, let's not forget that we've had a good one, and it's not been easy for anyone in Melbourne, including footballers. We are the Premiers, we've qualified for the Group stage in the 2022 ACL,  we've played some delightful football, scored a bagful against the unmentionables, brought up some good young players, and Jmac will win the Golden Boot.

I understand for the club ending the season on the top of the ladder is a great achievement. Winning our first piece of regular season silverware is great.

But for me personally, is we were to not win the granny, this would be a wasted season. Most sports I follow, the pinnacle is always winning the grand final. Sure,ending the regular season on top of the ladder is great, but I want to win the last trophy on offer for the season. And thats winning the dunny seat.May be an unopouplar opinion but Dunny seat> Regular season trophy

I don’t understand if the GF can’t be held in Melbourne why does it have to be in Sydney straight away, why not Adelaide, Brisbane or Perth?

38 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I understand for the club ending the season on the top of the ladder is a great achievement. Winning our first piece of regular season silverware is great.

But for me personally, is we were to not win the granny, this would be a wasted season. Most sports I follow, the pinnacle is always winning the grand final. Sure,ending the regular season on top of the ladder is great, but I want to win the last trophy on offer for the season. And thats winning the dunny seat.May be an unopouplar opinion but Dunny seat> Regular season trophy

I’m afraid the general consensus and media will think the same as you, in the case of us not winning the GF, winning the premiership is quickly forgotten and it’s all about finals winner.

First we won the Cup. Then we made GF.  After that we won Premiers.  Sometimes success is happening incrementally. 

Melbourne restrictions doesn't help City. Soccer centre of power, Arnold list, etc. Is this news reaction to Nabbout getting ready?

Even without restrictions, we wouldn't fill up the stadium. Still, even with restrictions we would match their 7,000 from the last year. 

I'd be happier with "finals" if it were the top four teams. 1and 2, and 3 and 4 play each other, the loser out of 1 and 2 plays the winner out of 3 and 4, and then the winner of that match goes on to play the winner out of the 1 and 2 match. Wasn't this the old McIntyre system in the VFL? (Apologies for being so ignorant). Even with stretching the league to 12 teams IMO having the top 6 play off doesn't resonate with me.

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yes. Sydney wont be calling the shots here though, FA will be. And for them it will be all about the $$$ involved with having a crowd.

100%, if ever a decision was based on financials as opposed to sporting merit then this will be based on where will the biggest ticket be made.

And TBF this goes back pre pandemic days, from memory games played at bigger venues that weren't soccer grounds.

I'm resigned to the fact that we won't see city win the seat live this season, but we will win regardless. 

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

100%, if ever a decision was based on financials as opposed to sporting merit then this will be based on where will the biggest ticket be made.

And TBF this goes back pre pandemic days, from memory games played at bigger venues that weren't soccer grounds.

I'm resigned to the fact that we won't see city win the seat live this season, but we will win regardless. 

The league and FA need to tread very carefully here. Believe me, i totally understand that in an organization as cash poor as FA that every dollar counts, and GF revenue is a monstrous chunk out of their budget, but this league cannot continue to sell itself as a league where fans are one of the key strengths when it shits all over them by totally undermining the integrity of the competition.
I think this would be an incredible own goal for FA to make this call, that they will face longer term repercussions of for season to come if they do it.
Only if they are faced with administration do i think this is in any way an acceptable solution.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bt50 said:

The league and FA need to tread very carefully here. Believe me, i totally understand that in an organization as cash poor as FA that every dollar counts, and GF revenue is a monstrous chunk out of their budget, but this league cannot continue to sell itself as a league where fans are one of the key strengths when it shits all over them by totally undermining the integrity of the competition.
I think this would be an incredible own goal for FA to make this call, that they will face longer term repercussions of for season to come if they do it.
Only if they are faced with administration do i think this is in any way an acceptable solution.

My guess is that FA is a bloated organisation and could easily pare down costs if it tried. I've never been in an administrative workplace yet where this was not blatantly the case. My guess is that with APL and FA there are more administrators than there were before. We all know that FA/FFA have wasted millions of dollars in the past; I very much doubt that it's any different now.

If we make the GF we should have the right to play at home if we wish to.

Edited by jw1739

All I'm saying is that, i don't think we will get to watch the game at AAMI. Restrictions will ease, but I can't see the govt letting a grand final with spectators. 

So would it be played at AAMI with no spectators or interstate.  I think that is the actual question. 

Going forward  the League can play the Covid card, every other organization world wide has so I'm not too fussed integrity wise. 

17 minutes ago, Jovan said:

All I'm saying is that, i don't think we will get to watch the game at AAMI. Restrictions will ease, but I can't see the govt letting a grand final with spectators. 

So would it be played at AAMI with no spectators or interstate.  I think that is the actual question. 

Going forward  the League can play the Covid card, every other organization world wide has so I'm not too fussed integrity wise. 

I think the mistake is that everyone knows that the COV-21 situation is very fluid and can change in a moment, so it's unnecessary to raise the subject of venue yet. It just stirs people up.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think the mistake is that everyone knows that the COV-21 situation is very fluid and can change in a moment, so it's unnecessary to raise the subject of venue yet. It just stirs people up.

Agree, 

But best case scenario we get out on Friday, that's just over 2 weeks before the granny and I can't see them allowing a soccer match being played in front of a crowd. 

So again, the option is no crowd and no cash or the game in Sydney (most likely veriable) but obviously no the fairest. 

I can't see us playing in Melbourne, especially if we are already going up to NSW for Jets and probably the Semi.

It's already been decided IMO.

We just need to get our shit together. 

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Agree, 

But best case scenario we get out on Friday, that's just over 2 weeks before the granny and I can't see them allowing a soccer match being played in front of a crowd. 

So again, the option is no crowd and no cash or the game in Sydney (most likely veriable) but obviously no the fairest. 

I can't see us playing in Melbourne, especially if we are already going up to NSW for Jets and probably the Semi.

It's already been decided IMO.

We just need to get our shit together. 

If what you predict pans out,  we long-suffering City fans have really got the short straw. No finals, and no Asian Champions League, and not even the final home match of the regular season. Were we all born under the wrong star or something?

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If what you predict pans out,  we long-suffering City fans have really got the short straw. No finals, and no Asian Champions League, and not even the final home match of the regular season. Were we all born under the wrong star or something?

If it wasn't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Personally I think it’s all a conspiracy and if you could only open your eyes you would see that @thisphantomfortress is the one pulling the strings in the background.

Think about it this way right

If you look at "Football Australia" all you have to do is look at the 'Australia' part and realise something is fishy with it.

If you were to:

-Remove two of the a's

-Remove the u, t.

-Remove the r, l and i

-Add y, y d

-Add ,n,e, s

What does that come to I wonder hmmmmm.....?

'Football Sydney'

reptilian dollar bill GIF by G1ft3d

And they would've gotten away with it all too, if it weren't for those meddling kids

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 08/06/2021 at 2:51 PM, Shahanga said:

Personally I think it’s all a conspiracy and if you could only open your eyes you would see that @thisphantomfortress is the one pulling the strings in the background.

On 08/06/2021 at 2:53 PM, bt50 said:

He's definitely pulling something

This is one of those unique situations where you're both right 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just realised that on Sunday 20th from 3:20pm the AFL has Hawthorn Vs Essendon at the MCG - why would the APL and Foxtel not schedule our match @6:05pm instead of 4:05pm to avoid the congestion, allow more fans (if we're allowed to have fans) to come to our game/watch it on Foxtel/Kayo and not have to choose between codes!?!

Now our match will finish at the same time as the AFL match and Richmond station is going to be as busy as a gym after lockdown (or a brothel during lockdown)!

5 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

I just realised that on Sunday 20th from 3:20pm the AFL has Hawthorn Vs Essendon at the MCG - why would the APL and Foxtel not schedule our match @6:05pm instead of 4:05pm to avoid the congestion, allow more fans (if we're allowed to have fans) to come to our game/watch it on Foxtel/Kayo and not have to choose between codes!?!

Now our match will finish at the same time as the AFL match and Richmond station is going to be as busy as a gym after lockdown (or a brothel during lockdown)!

That's an extraordinary decision. Of course, if the present restrictions are maintained until then, people living over 25km from the city should not attend either venue, and seated outdoor entertainment venues are limited to 50% capacity with a maximum of 100 people. Which, prima facie, seems to rule out spectators at both matches. Whether the latter restriction applies to stadiums is a moot point...

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

That's an extraordinary decision. Of course, if the present restrictions are maintained until then, people living over 25km from the city should not attend either venue, and seated outdoor entertainment venues are limited to 50% capacity with a maximum of 100 people. Which, prima facie, seems to rule out spectators at both matches. Whether the latter restriction applies to stadiums is a moot point...

25km limit should be ending after long weekend. 

Not sure if it's just growing up in a footy mad town, but I don't mind the finals series.

However I must admit that I'm finding it extremely difficult to get enthused over this season's finals. It's been done to death, but how can you even think the Grand Final is worth something when it has been so severely compromised by the powers that be.

Seriously, playing a finals series around international World Cup qualifiers? Knowing the top two teams will lose over a quarter of their starting lineups?

Even in isolation it's incompetent, but throw in the inevitable effects of covid and injuries, then the decision to play a finals series borders on negligence. That's a decision made by people who have severe mental deficiencies. It really is.

You can draw a direct link between the Nabbout and Griffiths re-injuries to needing to play them to cover the loss of our internationals. Now their recovery is also compromised because we didn't get the full week off between the last season game and the SemiFinal because of covid. An extra few days could be the difference between them playing.

We have potentially over half our starting line-up unavailable. WTF?

You can argue the best team should still win and we should have the depth to cover blah, blah... But finals and winning a championship should be about the best team winning - not the team who can play enough teenagers to be able to compete. 

I'd be super thrilled if we even get to the GF, let alone win it.

What a fucking disgrace. No wonder our league is a laughing stock.

Had to post, just so frustrated with it...

Edited by rass
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, rass said:

What a fucking disgrace. No wonder our league is a laughing stock.

Had to post, just so frustrated with it...

I completely agree. It’s no surprise but I’m a big fan of this league and a big believer in Australian football. I will always defend and even try to promote the A-League to other football fans but this kind of shit makes it difficult. It’s Mickey Mouse type stuff. Not observing the window is just not what a professional league should be doing. And I’m sure they wanted to, maybe they even tried, and Fox said no or something like that. But the sooner we put integrity above the whims of the broadcaster/governing body/whoever it was the better. How can we be proud of our league when we get the basics wrong? Very frustrating.

• Like 1

Frustration shared. The loss of half our team has meant the end of the season has felt like a miserable anticlimax. We pretty much fell over the line and then collapsed.

I'm expecting nothing from the finals because they are so devalued. What you want is for the teams involved to have close to their best squads available, so that we have an end of season festival of football, with the best teams taking each other on in a knock-out competition. It's just a meaningless mess this season. Something to get out of the way before we focus on team building for next season, and looking forward to preseason and FFA Cup ties.

• Like 1

Yes, really disappointing. The whole thing - all three need a review - the league fixtures, NT selection, and withdrawal from the Champions League. We've certainly devalued both the "finals" and the ACL. So much for Australian Professional Leagues - moving the deckchairs more like. What with the COVID risk - now greatly increased (on public transport) with the change in day and time - I'm giving the SF a miss, and most likely the GF if we get there. Can't be bothered and just looking forward to next season.

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

I completely agree. It’s no surprise but I’m a big fan of this league and a big believer in Australian football. I will always defend and even try to promote the A-League to other football fans but this kind of shit makes it difficult. It’s Mickey Mouse type stuff. Not observing the window is just not what a professional league should be doing. And I’m sure they wanted to, maybe they even tried, and Fox said no or something like that. But the sooner we put integrity above the whims of the broadcaster/governing body/whoever it was the better. How can we be proud of our league when we get the basics wrong? Very frustrating.

Problem is even if we adhered to the window they would still miss the finals due to 2 weeks quarantine 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

Problem is even if we adhered to the window they would still miss the finals due to 2 weeks quarantine 

They shouldn’t even be there. For the WC qualifications perhaps only the first game for team building bla bla. European players can easily qualify. That was the only right thing to do to keep the integrity of the finals, keep the fans and fox happy by keeping the best players here. Win win for all competitions.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

They shouldn’t be even there. For the WC qualifications perhaps only the first game for team building bla bla. European players can easily qualify. That was the only right thing to do to keep the integrity of the finals, keep the fans and fox happy by keeping the best players here. Win win for all competitions.

Absolutely right.  We didn't need A-League players to be able to beat Chinese Taipei and Nepal. Just as APL fucked up the Newcastle match - it could easily have been played on the way home from Brisbane - Blind Freddy could see that. Our administrators just don't seem to be able to think quickly enough or outside the box. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

They shouldn’t be even there. For the WC qualifications perhaps only the first game for team building bla bla. European players can easily qualify. That was the only right thing to do to keep the integrity of the finals, keep the fans and fox happy by keeping the best players here. Win win for all competitions.

Agree with that 

• jw1739 changed the title to 2021 Finals (& impact of international duty, coronavirus)