Melbourne Football

2021 Finals (& impact of international duty, coronavirus etc.)

10 minutes ago, Deluka said:

If games will no longer be played in Melbourne, I hope the final or finals matches we play we get to choose the home venue.

Would be so unfair to host a GF in Sydney against Sydney without any say.

I don't think we know what might happen yet. Even the two league matches. The latest virus outbreak is a day-by-day issue at this stage. Just a personal opinion, but I doubt we're going to lift the lock-down this week - this is not a "localised" outbreak like the previous ones.

I also can't see any proposal to play in Victoria but outside of Melbourne being popular either. The regions won't be keen to have 15,000 Melburnians in their territory - the lockdown is already unpopular.

Just has to be "wait and see." The good thing is that we are the Premiers, and we will play ACL. The Championship no longer means anything except local prestige.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think we know what might happen yet. Even the two league matches. The latest virus outbreak is a day-by-day issue at this stage. Just a personal opinion, but I doubt we're going to lift the lock-down this week - this is not a "localised" outbreak like the previous ones.

I also can't see any proposal to play in Victoria but outside of Melbourne being popular either. The regions won't be keen to have 15,000 Melburnians in their territory - the lockdown is already unpopular.

Just has to be "wait and see." The good thing is that we are the Premiers, and we will play ACL. The Championship no longer means anything except local prestige.

I think you may be right. It's all looking a wee bit uncertain just now...

Delta Variant now detected in Melbourne, no links back to HQ anywhere in Australia. 

Hate to say it but I think we won't see MC in a grand final this year again. 

Edited by haz

14 minutes ago, haz said:

Delta Variant now detected in Melbourne, no links back to HQ anywhere in Australia. 

Hate to say it but I think we won't see MC in a grand final this year again. 

Home semi just confirmed for 18th June at AAMI.

1 hour ago, haz said:

If this is true this means that after 6 months of no new cases we got 2 unrelated quarantine outbreaks at the same time. Quite a coincidence hey?

Waiting for tomorrow, “oh we reclassified those, but today’s new excuse for maintaining the lockdown is ….”

Edited by Shahanga

19 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

When are the boys due back? Well before the 26th isn’t it? 
We must be a chance of having at least a couple of them on the bench on the 18th too.

Won't they have to go into quarantine?

25 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

If this is true this means that after 6 months of no new cases we got 2 unrelated quarantine outbreaks at the same time. Quite a coincidence hey?

Waiting for tomorrow, “oh we reclassified those, but today’s new excuse for maintaining the lockdown is ….”

Don't forget one of the outbreaks originated in Adelaide. Of course, if we did what is required - extend quarantine to 21 days, and stop "repatriation" flights from a  certain country, one of or probably the filthiest in the world (I've been there) mostly if not all people who left Australia of their own free  during the pandemic...

47 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

We must be a chance of having at least a couple of them on the bench on the 18th too.

Unless they leave on the 10th there no Socceroos will be back due to having to hotel quarantine  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Socceroos play Jordan 16th June.

So prettymuch out of calculations unless our lockdown is extended and then the finals get extended.

So if you love city stand up, oh actually i mean if you love city extend lockdown. 😀

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see how many minutes the A- League players are actually getting.

Without having much read up onto it; we can cancel the ACL due to hard quarantine regulations upon returning to Australia but we are happy to disturb the league by letting local players go on Socceroo camp? A Socceroo campaign which will predominantly be played by European based players.

I’m making the assumption that ACL will also be played in a hub.

My critical thinking to simplistic?

Edited by Mr MO

21 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It would be interesting to see how many minutes the A- League players are actually getting.

Without having much read up onto it; we can cancel the ACL due to hard quarantine regulations upon returning to Australia but we are happy to disturb the league by letting local players go on Socceroo camp? A Socceroo campaign which will predominantly be played by European based players.

I’m making the assumption that ACL will also be played in a hub.

My critical thinking to simplistic?

No. IMO the league and FA are pursuing a dangerous policy here. We're either in the ACF or we're not, and it won't take much for the ACF to get riled over this. 

1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

finals fixtures out now, grand final on a saturday
hoping bulls beat ccm so we avoid Brisbane/Adelaide 

I actually think ccm have the best chance of knocking Sydney off in the semi than any of the other teams. Happy with how it's turned out 

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Momentum is clearly shifting; Sydney has reinforced towards the end of the season and are comfortably winning their games. We are the opposite at the moment.

Wouldn’t say comfortably Brisbane dominated them yesterday and missed 2-3 big chances. There defence is depleted and playing Retre at RB Nooney will have a field day 

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We dominate and draw.

I like our chances against their defence but they still have Wilkinson, scrappy goal we conceded secondary player off a corner Griffiths header a bit tame. Noone to come back, don’t think we will get Nabbout back. Tilio did pretty well at striker without scoring 

26 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

I like our chances against their defence but they still have Wilkinson, scrappy goal we conceded secondary player off a corner Griffiths header a bit tame. Noone to come back, don’t think we will get Nabbout back. Tilio did pretty well at striker without scoring 

What makes me nervous; is the fact that Sydney is starting to win games towards the end of the season is clearly no coincidence, they have reinforced. With all the loyalty and youth player concessions they have, clearly they left some money in the kitty as these concessions where available at the start of the season too - so its planned.

A fit Nabbout won’t feature again. We actually played well today without winning.

Edited by Mr MO

There's no question that Sydney have the momentum. They have won their last 5 matches, our last 5 see two wins, two draws and a defeat. We started to lose our momentum with the match against Phoenix, when we conceded a late goal, IMO PK erred in his approach to the match in Brisbane, and if VAR was against us today in the Victory match it was on our side against Central Coast.

The Elimination Finals are Central Coast vs. Macarthur, and Brisbane vs. Adelaide. I'm tipping that Central Coast and Brisbane will run out winners there.

If so, we will play Brisbane, and Sydney will play Central Coast. With the availability of players as it is, I'm afraid I see the Grand Final being between Sydney and Brisbane, and Sydney to win it.

Whatever the season finally delivers, let's not forget that we've had a good one, and it's not been easy for anyone in Melbourne, including footballers. We are the Premiers, we've qualified for the Group stage in the 2022 ACL,  we've played some delightful football, scored a bagful against the unmentionables, brought up some good young players, and Jmac will win the Golden Boot.

• Like 2

Man, seriously no chance were not winning the semi. We will beat either Brisbane or Adelaide and most likely play Sydney at home in the granny.

Tonight's draw was exactly what we needed. We got the jest to get our shit together, a week off then a semi.

Im full of confidence, everyone just chill and have faith in how we actually got in this position. 

We got the seat simples.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Man, seriously no chance were not winning the semi. We will beat either Brisbane or Adelaide and most likely play Sydney at home in the granny.

Tonight's draw was exactly what we needed. We got the jest to get our shit together, a week off then a semi.

Im full of confidence, everyone just chill and have faith in how we actually got in this position. 

We got the seat simples.

And going by PK Atkinson and Nabbout could be back. There back training with main team. So you never know 

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

The only thing that fucks up my positivity is if the lockdown extends and our finals are moved to Sydney, could happen but hopefully not.

We shouldn't even be in lockdown let alone have it extended. But with these incompetent picks in government who knows... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

We shouldn't even be in lockdown let alone have it extended. But with these incompetent picks in government who knows... 

I'll let this go, but I'm going to be vigilant on this going forward.

Comments on the coronavirus and management thereof and its impact on sport, football, the A-League, Australian football, City matches , attendances etc. etc. are fine in the thread(s) on those subjects.

General comments on political, public service, and medical aspects etc., vaccinations and vaccines, preventive measures, conspiracy theories and so on - are all welcome but please into the Coronavirus thread in The Club Room forum.

This will help keep the thread boards fairly clean.

Thank you.

Edited by jw1739
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'll let this go, but I'm going to be vigilant on this going forward.

Comments on the coronavirus and management thereof and its impact on sport, football, the A-League, Australian football, City matches , attendances etc. etc. are fine in the thread(s) on those subjects.

General comments on political, public service, and medical aspects etc., vaccinations and vaccines, preventive measures, conspiracy theories and so on - are all welcome but please into the Coronavirus thread in The Club Room forum.

This will help keep the thread boards fairly clean.

Thank you.

Fair enough. 

14 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Absolute game changer could return Newcastle game but eying off SF. 

article also says he’s in talks to re-sign with club and wants to just waiting on the new CBA to be finalised. 

"It would be nice to keep everyone..." There's a line to reflect on. 

3 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

"It would be nice to keep everyone..." There's a line to reflect on. 

Don’t think we would be able to. Would you leave a Noone or Nabbout on the bench?  Think Nabbout will sign on, Luna hopefully and Berenguer not fussed either way. 

33 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Absolute game changer could return Newcastle game but eying off SF. 

article also says he’s in talks to re-sign with club and wants to just waiting on the new CBA to be finalised. 

Don't see any point in rushing him to play Newcastle. Very risky and a dead rubber game. Might as well aim for the semi and give him more recovery time and the game actually means something... 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Don't see any point in rushing him to play Newcastle. Very risky and a dead rubber game. Might as well aim for the semi and give him more recovery time and the game actually means something... 

He said he would like a bit of game time 

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

He said he would like a bit of game time 

Nabbout has been praising the club for getting his body right; yet he’s been on the sideline a fair bit with injuries this season. If I was him I would remain at City try to play a full season for once, then think about big money and other moves.

Edited by Mr MO

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Nabbout has been praising the club for getting his body right; yet he’s been on the sideline a fair bit injuries this season. If I was him I would remain at City try to play a full season for once, then think about big money and other moves.

He wants to stay at the club as per his interview just waiting on tv rights deal and salary cap to be confirmed 

• jw1739 changed the title to 2021 Finals (& impact of international duty, coronavirus)