Melbourne Football

Mayweather vs Pacquiao

strider

The "fight of the century" will most likely be a boring 12 round fight lol.

Pac should win a few early rounds, he could trouble Floyd with his speed and awkward angles. I think Floyd will figure him out around 5 rounds in and take over the fight, he should coast to a pretty comfy decision.

And again, this is the "fight o the century" only in name. Don't actually expect to see a great fight on Sunday because chances are it will suck lol

• Like 3

Heard Pac's left can be trouble for Mr. Money. He usually jabs with the right then winds a big leftie.

Good to see some hype around boxing these days though. It probably won't get back to how it used to be but hey a fight's a fight

Thanks for the insight Pigs.

A couple of random comments. That roger mayweather (floyd's old man) was one hell of a boxer.

2. The rumble in the jumble is hard to beat. How any sane man could come up with the concept of letting a monster like Foreman belt him "to tire himself out" is beyond me. genius combined with belief, fearlessness and preparation.

Edited by Shahanga

Lets go PacMan!

Mayweather has to be the most hated sports star in world sport and for good reason. He has been dodging this fight for 5 years like a little bitch. Guys ego is the size of China and he beats up chicks. Fuck him, fuck this trainer, fuck his family, fuck his gay arse hats and fuck his 23 bugatti's.

Boring. Floyd plays the run and counter game.

And it only took 48 fights for you to find this out (y)

Well if you don't quote the thing I said obviously I look like a fool. The question always was, if he beats manny, is he the greatest?

Well if you don't quote the thing I said obviously I look like a fool. The question always was, if he beats manny, is he the greatest?

The best ever is obviously subjective but of this era has to be the best.

The best ever is obviously subjective but of this era has to be the best.

Yeah probably this era. My problem is mainly the entertainment factor. If you're the greatest ever you gotta have it all. The ability, the record, the opponents and the flair. He has 3/4, Ali had 4/4 

And it only took 48 fights for you to find this out (y) Well if you don't quote the thing I said obviously I look like a fool. The question always was, if he beats manny, is he the greatest? The best ever is obviously subjective but of this era has to be the best.

Yeah probably this era. My problem is mainly the entertainment factor. If you're the greatest ever you gotta have it all. The ability, the record, the opponents and the flair. He has 3/4, Ali had 4/4

Does Ali really have the record though? 5 losses.

I clearly don't understand boxing coz from what I saw it was Manny landing heaps of punches (which I thought was points) and Mayweather defending in the corner the whole time with 1 or 2 sporadic punches here and there. From Round 8 onwards he started to level the ledger and started punching. 

But that's my 2 cents anyway. Clearly wrong.

I clearly don't understand boxing coz from what I saw it was Manny landing heaps of punches (which I thought was points) and Mayweather defending in the corner the whole time with 1 or 2 sporadic punches here and there. From Round 8 onwards he started to level the ledger and started punching.

I think Rounds 2 & 3 caused the most confusion. Everyone I was watching with had Pac while I thought it was Floyd slightly in both, I think the points should have been closer overall but that's what you get @ MGM.

And it only took 48 fights for you to find this out (y) Well if you don't quote the thing I said obviously I look like a fool. The question always was, if he beats manny, is he the greatest? The best ever is obviously subjective but of this era has to be the best.

Does Ali really have the record though? 5 losses.

The record suffers a little when you actually choose to be aggressive. 61-5 is still a crazy good record.

boxing scoring is based on more than punches landed. 

The Four Components of Scoring

Scoring in professional boxing is rather subjective in nature. Controversy seems to arise after every close bout, and official scorers are often scorned by viewers that deemed the fight far from close.

Three ringside judges score bouts based on four factors:

• Clean punching: “Clean” punches are punches that land on the face/side of the head and the front/side of the torso.
  • Effective aggressiveness: A boxer demonstrates this trait when he consistently and successfully moves forward in a controlled manner.
  • Ring generalship: The judges favor the fighter who controls the pace and style of the bout.
  • Defense: Boxers that skillfully incorporate defensive maneuvers receive credit in this area.

Read more at: http://boxing.isport.com/boxing-guides/how-the-pro-boxing-scoring-system-works

boxing scoring is based on more than punches landed.

The Four Components of Scoring

Scoring in professional boxing is rather subjective in nature. Controversy seems to arise after every close bout, and official scorers are often scorned by viewers that deemed the fight far from close.

Three ringside judges score bouts based on four factors:

• Clean punching: “Clean” punches are punches that land on the face/side of the head and the front/side of the torso.
  • Effective aggressiveness: A boxer demonstrates this trait when he consistently and successfully moves forward in a controlled manner.
  • Ring generalship: The judges favor the fighter who controls the pace and style of the bout.
  • Defense: Boxers that skillfully incorporate defensive maneuvers receive credit in this area.
Read more at: http://boxing.isport.com/boxing-guides/how-the-pro-boxing-scoring-system-works

That is scoring to see who wins the round.

IIRC The winner of each round is given a 10 and the loser a 9. A point is then deducted for each knock down.

So a close fight with one boxer only marginally winning each round can come out with a large points win.

And it only took 48 fights for you to find this out (y)Well if you don't quote the thing I said obviously I look like a fool. The question always was, if he beats manny, is he the greatest?The best ever is obviously subjective but of this era has to be the best.

Yeah probably this era. My problem is mainly the entertainment factor. If you're the greatest ever you gotta have it all. The ability, the record, the opponents and the flair. He has 3/4, Ali had 4/4 Does Ali really have the record though? 5 losses.Perfect records are normally created by managers. Only fight quality when you absolutely have to. Take this fight as an example, Floyd has avoided Paq for years.

I don't follow boxing anymore but I doubt Pacquio is now the No 1 contender in reality, probably some low profile hungry 25 year old instead. Floyd wouldn't want fight that bloke, all risk and no $$.

Anyway back to Ali, I think you have to ignore the tail of his career.

Always had a lot of love for Julio Cesar Chavez (speaking of great records) but "greatest" would be a stretch.

Ali's win over Foreman was the stuff of greatest, not to mention the win over Liston, who was also seen as unbeatable at the time.

Edited by Shahanga

• 1 year later...