Melbourne Football

WU vs. City, AAMI Park (away game) Thursday 1st April 5.35 p.m.

jw1739

Diamanti on changed the game. No surprises there. What was surprising was how bad we were at finishing tonight. Two tap-ins wasted and zero reward for hard effort. The lack of subs was baffling too on a warm night when it looked like our legs were completely gone by 90 minutes. When there’s at least 7 minutes to be added, it’s just stupid not to bring on fresh legs. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Diamanti on changed the game. No surprises there. What was surprising was how bad we were at finishing tonight. Two tap-ins wasted and zero reward for hard effort. The lack of subs was baffling too on a warm night when it looked like our legs were completely gone by 90 minutes. When there’s at least 7 minutes to be added, it’s just stupid not to bring on fresh legs. 

We don’t sub early at 3-0 up and we don’t sub at all with 2-1 down. PK doesn’t trust his bench? Or he really trusts his system, goals will come but just not tonight.

19 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I think it's harsh to say we didn't deserve to win. Our  effort and opportunities we created were deserved of a better result. Just didn't click when we needed it to. 

The amount of chances and corners were mind boggling.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Kills me to say but it was Berisha who won that for them with two excellent pieces of play in the space of 5 minutes. They did nothing else apart from that and their defence especially was horrid. I've never seen a team get behind another's defence as easy as we did.

BUT our finishing cost us bad and you can't win if you don't take your chances. 27 to 8 scoring shots says it all.

Oh well, we move on. Perhaps not the end of the world having a loss now, but frustrating as all fuck.

Ah well.

interesting night. Just happy sanity prevailed and they let people into the ground.

The game itself, well we are going to win games like that 19 times out of 20 (or more). In the end just wasn’t our night.

Anyway not a bad time for a loss, shrink a few heads and get back to business.

We just couldn't finish our chances and I think it was pretty poor refereeing the whole game, the ref wasn't good tonight.

Atkinson probably our stand out player again tonight for me, did a lot of good things going forward and in defence.

Once again our fullbacks bombed on though and I don't think as a team we play as well, but we really should have finished more of the chances we had.

1 hour ago, rass said:

Kills me to say but it was Berisha who won that for them with two excellent pieces of play in the space of 5 minutes. They did nothing else apart from that and their defence especially was horrid. I've never seen a team get behind another's defence as easy as we did.

BUT our finishing cost us bad and you can't win if you don't take your chances. 27 to 8 scoring shots says it all.

Oh well, we move on. Perhaps not the end of the world having a loss now, but frustrating as all fuck.

The point is, though, if you want to be Premiers you have to win these matches. This habit of ours of losing to teams below us on the table is not good enough.

PK out coached.  WU were all about defending and absorbing pressure,  hoping they could hold out and that Diamanti would win them the game. 

Given he was carrying an injury, we should have had a plan to mark him when he came on,  and just be a tad cautious .... he would have lost gas after bout 10 minutes ... instead we kept attacking,  even at a goal up,  and surprise surprise,  he gets some space when fresh and they score. 

Hot conditions and fatigue clearly came into it ... I'd argue that we missed so many chances because of fatigue ...

PK should have been making subs in previous weeks,  especially when we were up ... it gives our starters a breather,  it gives our subs a chance to show what they can do,  and this means in a game like tonight you get a few more miles from the starters before they are completely fatigued,  and you have more confidence in who you can bring on to try and win you the game ... or lock it down

Out coached 100%

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

I'm not sure who you think is coming off the bench to dramatically change a game. Other than luna the quality isn't there 

Colakovski only gave the game winning assist in our last meeting against them...

Nah lol, I get what you mean but an extra bit of energy and ingenuity down the wing could’ve made a difference. I would’ve been content with just bringing him on for Noone.

You know the saying, no one beats Rudan six times in a row. Whilst PK was busy orchestrating touch line throws, Diamanti had other plans. We were unlucky with shot deflections,  after a string of games. Nothing went in. We reached the peak for this part of the season. Unfortunately, Sydney and home derby are coming. 

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

You know the saying, no one beats Rudan six times in a row. Whilst PK was busy orchestrating touch line throws, Diamanti had other plans. We were unlucky with shot deflections,  after a string of games. Nothing went in. We reached the peak for this part of the season. Unfortunately, Sydney and home derby are coming. 

Nix on Easter Monday in Wollongong then Sydney on Saturday for us.  Sydney will be coming off a 3 day break though. They play victory on Sunday in Melbourne then Glory on Wednesday  

Should be taking 6/6

Edited by CityBoyz

10 hours ago, Chris p said:

I'm not sure who you think is coming off the bench to dramatically change a game. Other than luna the quality isn't there 

In those last minurtes we has three fast attcking minded young players who could have easily rattled the aging WU defence. it creates doubt and in decision and possibly opens up holes for other city players to get on a cross or receive a ball in a good area. whats the greatest risk. lose by another goal? we were already losing the 3 points at that point anyway. I really think this is an area where paddy has to change his thinking. By the time the NT absences hit us in whatever numbers,the bench/subs players will be called upon to step up and they will not have the experience. 

The other thing is that i saw Nate and JMac both stetching and looking gassed with minor  (possibly) niggles towards the end of the game. why risk an injury? 

this area of squad management need to change very quickly for quick turnaround games and the final stages of games. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Could've easily won and yet it just wasn't our night.

27 shots to 9 and we lost by a goal. Go figure

If you look at all our recent matches we have scored freely - but at the same time missed a bagful of additional quite gettable goals - the match against Central Coast in particular where a number of simple chances went straight at the GK.

Yes, it's the result that counts, and that's what the record book shows, but they can hide what's really going on. In our case they are hiding quite a lot of sloppy finishing and missed chances, and a coach who doesn't seem to understand the principles and practice of substitution. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If you look at all our recent matches we have scored freely - but at the same time missed a bagful of additional quite gettable goals - the match against Central Coast in particular where a number of simple chances went straight at the GK.

Yes, it's the result that counts, and that's what the record book shows, but they can hide what's really going on. In our case they are hiding quite a lot of sloppy finishing and missed chances, and a coach who doesn't seem to understand the principles and practice of substitution. 

You are right, we were wasteful in other games too but nobody really cared as we were winning. Then if that continues then one day it will cost you, last night showed that.

I must notice that Griffiths really played below his standards, wasteful on simple controllable balls and he was on the end of some chances we created. Nabbout also missed an excellent header but he’s notorious for not hitting the target - something we need to work on.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I must notice that Griffiths really played below his standards, wasteful on simple controllable balls and he was on the end of some chances we created. Nabbout also missed an excellent header but he’s notorious for not hitting the target - something we need to work on.

Couldn't agree more. Whether he was tired or just having one of those games he was awful last night. Was still in CB mode perhaps.

On nabbout, he brings so much to the team and should without a doubt always be in the starting 11 if healthy. However, when he gets in front of the goals, he is by far the most wasteful person in the team. I wouldn't have a problem if he got some of his shots on target but the majority of the time he's not even close ffs. Has be always been like this? Definitely an X factor but needs to at least hit the target when shooting.

I do think Paddy showed his inexperience in regards to the subs. The weather was not great for playing football, fatigue was likely and even though we had been creating chances, some fresh legs even at say 83 minutes could have made a difference. 
In the end too many of our boys were tired and we didn’t threaten much in the last 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Couldn't agree more. Whether he was tired or just having one of those games he was awful last night. Was still in CB mode perhaps.

On nabbout, he brings so much to the team and should without a doubt always be in the starting 11 if healthy. However, when he gets in front of the goals, he is by far the most wasteful person in the team. I wouldn't have a problem if he got some of his shots on target but the majority of the time he's not even close ffs. Has be always been like this? Definitely an X factor but needs to at least hit the target when shooting.

Knowing how Griffiths can play, I would say it was a one off.

I think Nabbout has always been like that with the occasional worldie but always looks dangerous which were the strength is. Speaking to Victory fans that was always their biggest frustration point, the finishing.

It’s almost like he is trying way too hard to aim for the top bin or bottom corner like his header last night. I guess sometimes it’s better just to aim for the target and hope for the best if you don’t posses that finishing finesse. Or even better, lay off to create assist.

46 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I do think Paddy showed his inexperience in regards to the subs. The weather was not great for playing football, fatigue was likely and even though we had been creating chances, some fresh legs even at say 83 minutes could have made a difference. 
In the end too many of our boys were tired and we didn’t threaten much in the last 10.

Or he absolutely has no faith in his bench? He doesn’t use these players with 3-0 up either, so it’s a mystery to me.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Right, this was a worrying result. We dropped the level even against CCM, despite all that possession.  Across the season, our results are not better than other top teams, if I take off my rose blue City glasses. There's no conviction that we will win the game. 

Interesting that we haven't drawn a match yet. Do we now lose 3 in a row?