Melbourne Football

Elimination Final! Wellington Phoenix vs Melbourne City @ Sunday May 3rd, 5pm AEST

Nate

Solid performance and a good win.. Make no mistake, we will have to be MUCH better than today to beat Victory next week. I'd keep the same starting XI, with the possibility of bringin Clisby in at LB and Germano switching to RB. Though Retre has been doing well, so would probably keep it the same. We still need to improve our ball retention and playing out from defence. At times we are unnecessarily rushed, and wasteful. Kisnorbo, Mooy, Novillo and Velaphi all quality tonight. Need the entire first XI playing at their best next week to get a win... Maybe, just maybe... We can do it

• Like 1

I would take Paartalu off as he is on a booking and we don't want a player sent off!!

You are such a knob!

You constantly criticise Paartalu and want him benched now you are worried about him getting a card.

Paartalu's contribution is to make others look good including Mooy who when he played that same position for WSW was no where as effective as he is playing in his current position.

Edited by Ray

Ffs Kennedy is going to win us the title.

All you silly cunts that have given him shit have no clue about football.

But you giving Novillo shit is fine yeah?

I'd like to say his goal was luck but I suppose those things happen when you have an all out attacking mentality like Novillo does.

Still did fuck all the rest of the game while the commentators were falling over him just because he is flashy.

Thrilled with the win! Just what we've all wanted to see for so long - a performance where every player was committed, and every player played for the whole 90 minutes (not merely for one good half or less).

Overall it was a fantastic team win. Excellent team defending all game to keep Nathan Burns shackled, and make Bonevacia rather ineffective. And both goals came from good team play, with the first coming from good hold up play by Novillo, then Mooy drilling the ball through for a smart Kennedy tap in, and the second arising from Mooy picking out Koren, who skilfully floated the ball to the far-post where Novillo impressively finished near-post.

The two marquees showed just enough to help turn the game as well, with Kennedy's striker's goal to take the lead, and Koren's assist for the second goal. They deserve ample credit for putting in proper performances in this knockout finals match.

And whilst every player can hold their head up after this game and all players deserve some credit, I'd single out Mooy for being so consistently brilliant you can almost overlook his contributions (great passing range all game, and a neat drive that found Kennedy for the 1st goal), Paartalu who provided good grit in midfield and really helped things tick when the team was in possession, and Kisnorbo who was an absolute rock at the back, and is proving to be a real leader that we can build a solid defence around.

For such a do-or-die match when the pressure is really on, a 2-0 win away from home is a very solid result, so credit to all the players and staff.

Onwards and upwards. Now lets shake things up on Friday in the Melbourne Derby semi-final.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3