Melbourne Football

Q&A: Montemurro’s cross-town switch to coach City NPL side

Murfy1

missed this:

Q&A: Montemurro’s cross-town switch

By Craig Stockdale

April 1, 2015

With EUFA-A Pro Diploma coaching accreditation in Italy completed and a solid year overseeing Victorian Women’s Football at the FFV, Joe (Pepe) Montemurro has signed with the City Group where he will initially oversee the Youth NPL team for 2015.

After an interesting year coaching Melbourne Victory Women’s Football Team, searching for back-to-back championships, Joe (Pepe) Montemurro has decided to move across to Melbourne City FC.

Lured by the professionalism and aura of working for a significantly resourced and financially sound club, Craig Stockdale (of Stocky’s Scribbles) secured an exclusive interview with the UEFA-A accredited coach to uncover the real reasons behind the move, his plans in 2015 and the impact his decision will have on Women’s Football in Victoria.

Melbourne City and the NPL 1 West

Q. Joe, tell us about the reasons behind your move to City and your plans for 2015?
When the opportunity came to be involved with Melbourne City FC, I saw it as a very exciting project in a very exciting organisation. I will be working with the youth sector coaching the NPL team that has recently won the NYL. Our project is to develop potential NYL and A-League players.

Q. What is the culture like at the City Group and what attracted you there?
Quality and professionalism come to mind. As we all know, Melbourne City Football Club is a professional football club that competes in the major Australian domestic competition, the Hyundai A-League and it’s this professionalism that attracted me to the organisation.

As background for our readers, City Football Group is the owner of a number of football related businesses with global relevance. These include high profile professional football clubs, academies, technical support and marketing companies. CFG’s clubs include Premier League Title Winners 2013-14 Manchester City FC, Melbourne City FC of the A-League and MLS Franchise New York City Football Club, due to begin its inaugural season in March 2015. CFG is also a minority shareholder in Yokohama F·Marinos of the J-League. The common aim across all clubs is to provide the best possible experience and an unmatched opportunity for fans and communities to participate in, and benefit from, football at both a local and global level.

Q. How did you feel about departing FFV, NTC and the MVWFC at this point in time?
In football anything is possible and I did not expect the opportunity at this stage of my coaching. I felt that the foundations were established for an exciting future for the girls I have worked with. It’s always sad to leave something you have started and not see it develop into its full potential. But I thank the FFV and Victory for the opportunity to develop my coaching.

Q. After a year at NTC/MVWFC, how would you best describe your coaching style or philosophy in 2015?
The ‘buzz’ philosophy word, I believe my philosophy is more from outside of football than football. Words like respect, work ethic, integrity mean more than a playing style or vision – they are the difference for me than the type of football you play, so I suppose my philosophy is more about how football can make us better people. I think my football reflects these words.

Q. City is now a massive conglomerate globally – what investments are being made locally for football across both genders?
This is a question for the Club’s administration, but what we have already seen is that there has been investment in the City Football Academy, Melbourne, which is home to our A-League, NYL and NPL sides and administration, which will only help to grow football at a grassroots level and provide inspiration for young boys and girls.

Women’s football in Victoria

Q. How did you view the year at Melbourne Victory Women’s in 2014?
Fragmented, I feel is the best word. I do feel we could have gone one better [Grand final instead of Semi] – but as discussed in the earlier question it was a year of laying some foundations both culturally and in development. I think we did that which hopefully will leave the position in good shape for the next coach to carry on.

Q. Did the Melbourne Victory team exceed your expectations and if so, why?
I expected the team to be involved in finals and I feel we played a good brand for the fans. No doubt every coach wants to win a championship and that is always the end game at a professional level.

Q. Are we likely to see a Melbourne City W-League team? Surely we are due for one?
Melbourne City FC continue to work closely with Football Federation Australia and the local Federation (FFV) on the opportunity of introducing a Women’s team in the future. I am not at liberty to elaborate on this any further other than to say I believe that Victoria could support another team in the W League right now.

Q. What areas of improvement and challenges are there for Women’s Football in Victoria in 2015?
I think bridging the gaps and opportunities for development. The biggest is the jump from NTC to W-league. This will only get stronger when we can identify this as a major part of development. Grassroots coaches and programs so girls who come into the game, stay in the game because they learn to love football. Especially for Goalkeepers.

Q. What are the stocks of younger female players like now in Victoria? Do we have good home grown talent?
I believe that the girls born in 1999 & 2000 are a very talented group. The problem is to cater for all the talent. We run the risk of losing players to the game if they don’t see an opportunity both in the elite programs and clubs. I urge the clubs to promote young players.

Q. What is required in Victoria to strengthen female football in the years ahead?
High quality matches and high quality competition. With the high quality competition comes high quality development. The WNPL is a massive opportunity to regulate clubs and push them to focus on development and quality coaching. With this, the jump from WPL (or WNPL) won’t be that big. Also create holistic programs for girls who don’t go on and become professional footballers where they may get into coaching or administration of the game.

Pepe, the person

Q. What will we expect from Joe Montemurro in 2015? Your goals?
I coach because I want to learn and want to be the best I can be. If along the way I can affect someone to become a better person, I have done my job. I want to also be part of a team [at MCFC] that develops the best youth structure in this part of the world. Lofty goals but I believe they are achievable.

Q. What do you see as a good measure of your success in 2015?
I am very lucky to be working in football as a profession. If every day I can go to work and do my best and come home with a sense of achievement then I have succeeded. This works hand in hand with my family life balance also.

Q. Ross Aloisi has been promoted to FFA Matildas assistant, what are the parallels between you both?
Firstly, he is better looking than me so I can never compete! Ross is an excellent coach and deserves all his accolades. He will be a massive benefit to the Matildas in the upcoming World Cup. Women’s football is blessed to have a gentleman of his pedigree.

Q. What’s your mantra or favourite saying (in the context of sport and/or life)?
I’m not sure, best to ask the players I have coached. They will come up with something that is most likely along the lines of my philosophy!

Q. Do you have any special talents or a surprising thing (apart from cooking) someone might not know about you?
Football and family take up the bulk of my time. If I had the opportunity to restore an old car I would. A FIAT 500 of course.

Q. Who is your favourite coach in the W League and why?
There are many good coaches in the W League. It would be difficult to point one out.

Q. Who is your favorite player in the W League and why?
Again, different players have different attributes. It’s difficult to say but I have enjoyed working with Steph Catley and Lisa De Vanna.

Q. Finally, how will Australia go at the Women’s World Cup in 2015?
I have said all along that if they can get out of the group stage they will go to semi finals. From there, who knows. But I’m sure they will have a great tournament. Staj [coach Alen Stajcic] is doing a great job preparing them. I know they will do well.

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/montemurros-crosstown-switch/2/

missed this:

Q. Are we likely to see a Melbourne City W-League team? Surely we are due for one?

Melbourne City FC continue to work closely with Football Federation Australia and the local Federation (FFV) on the opportunity of introducing a Women’s team in the future. I am not at liberty to elaborate on this any further other than to say I believe that Victoria could support another team in the W League right now.

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/montemurros-crosstown-switch/2/

Really want to see this happen soon. Fingers crossed. Good that he thinks the players are out there.

• Like 1

missed this:

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/montemurros-crosstown-switch/2/ Really want to see this happen soon. Fingers crossed. Good that he thinks the players are out there. Needs to be its own thread.

Simon Zappia alluded to this at a girls football clinic during school holidays.

I imagine there are a lot of politics to negotiate not the least being no wants an odd numbered league.

Can't have the tards owning 50% of the population.