Melbourne Football

City vs Mariners @ 19:05 Monday 22nd March (AAMI Park)

haz

I've been critical of him but Metcalfe is having himself a game. Has the ball on a string.

Serves CCM right for sitting back and trying to get us cheaply on the counter that they're now behind. That goal has really opened the game up, and if we can get an early one in the 2nd here, it's all over

• Like 1

Just now, kingofhearts said:

I've been critical of him but Metcalfe is having himself a game. Has the ball on a string.

Serves CCM right for sitting back and trying to get us cheaply on the counter that they're now behind. That goal has really opened the game up, and if we can get an early one in the 2nd here, it's all over

Yes me too - passing has been sublime. It’s the defensive and positioning part he needs to work on in that DM, then again that’s not his position.

Just magic.

When we go forward we are the most dangerous team in the league. Noone, Flo and Nabbout have so much pace that we are running rings around the competition.CCM tried to park the bus and kill all the space but even they could only hold on for so long.

Our defense too, our back 4 is amazing and we don't look like conceding. The whole team has bought in and one thing I have noticed about us is our pressure on the ball. Even tonight, everytime a CCM  player gets it theres always someone in his area, putting pressure on.

Special shoutout this game to Metcalfe who was a wizard with a ball tonight, but what else can you say outside maginificant

• Like 1

Only complaint to tonight is that we didn't put away 4-5. Overall very happy. Extremely happy to eat humble pie, Patty has the lads rolling along beautifully. Game against the WSW lebs should be a cracker

Edited by TJV

A good win against a decent side and well worth my long drive (well, yes I an working in Melbourne tomorrow anyway but still worth it.

Positives:

Excellent first half, controlled the tempo and style of the game, never let CCM settle.

We looked like we would score everytime we went forward, this is a team playing with confidence.

Mark Birgitti kept CCM in the game,

Defensively solid and midfield controlled the game, excellent team press in the first half

Active sounded good tonight

Negatives:

Lost some intensity in the second half, understandable given the rain and the demands of the press.

Midfield less effective when Griffiths moved to CB

Injury to Reis, any news?

3 subs the final minutes?

Come Socceroos qualifies we are going to lose half our squad!

Edited by belaguttman

Pinch me. How good is this to watch?

I thought Central Coast were well organised in defence and they managed to keep Nabbout quiet, but we were far the better side and deserved our win.

That’s now 4 games in a row our opponents have subbed at half time (an early sub is more likely it seems with 5 subs) and 4 clean sheets in a row.

We sit 4th. In the last 5 games our prey  include the teams currently 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th.

We are playing well across the board. Young guns Atkinson and Metcalfe look like A League veterans now, Good looks like he should be in another league, Maclaren can’t miss etc etc. Don’t wake me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

Floppyburger and Noone out of gas

These two were completely out of gas after 70 minutes. Otherwise, it was a very tight performance by the whole team. Very few negatives, and many positives including the oft-maligned Jamieson who I thought had a good game. I thought Central Coast played pretty football but we were far too good all over the pitch. As others have mentioned we did waste several good opportunities in the second half.

Hard to believe we're still only 4th, albeit with a game or two in hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deluka said:

I believe that equals our record for most consecutive league wins in a row, a win against WSW will make it an outright 6.

I'm certain our most consecutive wins was 7 in a row when Bambi got the sack and JVS came back for a second time and took over.

9 hours ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Mark Birighitti is easily one of the best goalkeepers in this country and he showed it again tonight. Doesn’t matter now but displays yet another fault of past management that Joyce would continually pick a cooked Galekovic over him when he was with us. 

Bit unfair tbh, Galekovic did win the best and fairest that season.

• Like 3