Melbourne Football

TTDIM: Things that don't irk me

bazzatron

54 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Oh what a lovely day it is today. The sun is shining, the bird are signing, Chinese hackers aren't selling my details to identity thieves. 

Well it's not really a hack, but it was a malicious attack. No data should have been compromised though.

The question is could this have been prevented? It would depend on the details of the DDOS attack, but I can't see the answer to that question being no. Given this is one night in 5 years, the cost to taxpayers, and the cost of the population's time, enough planning and resources should have been put in place to ensure that anything but an extremely powerful DDOS attack could bring it down. That could have been the case, but given the only thing I've heard from the ABS is that they circumvented some sort of geo filtering, it doesn't exactly sound like there was adequate defence in place to this sort of attack if that's what they were relying on.

Edited by Tesla

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The census site is still unavailable - midday 10th August. The whole thing is becoming a bit of a joke now.

Just tried again now. 

Still unavailable. 

Not doing it. 

I haven't felt this rebellious since breaking into the principles office during hsc break up.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tesla said:

Fucking LOL, DDOSed.

Some 12 year old kid in China fucked your shit up ABS.

Our data is 100% safe with the ABS guys. Dont even worry about it. 11/10 census.

You believe what the ABS is saying? Sorry I want an independent report (yeah why not, lets call a royal commission because that is what we do these days).

Not buying it.

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

David Kalisch needs to be sacked.

Absolutely. I am quite surprised that at COB today he was not pursuing interests in the private sector.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NewConvert said:

You believe what the ABS is saying? Sorry I want an independent report (yeah why not, lets call a royal commission because that is what we do these days).

Not buying it.

It certainly seems unusual that they took the site down as a precaution due to a DDOS. Either the site gets taken down by the DDOS, or not much else happens but maybe some slowness, choosing to take it down makes no sense. So I do think the common opinion that the site simply failed under the peak load that started around 730pm may well be true but it's too embarrassing to admit.

I just completed mine. I can't remember the last one, but I gained the impression that there wasn't a lot that was "new" about this one. Which surprised me because of the pace of technological change.

Another surprise was that I could select my country of birth as "England." Most (non-census) forms don't offer that option, and all you get offered is "United Kingdom."

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I just completed mine. I can't remember the last one, but I gained the impression that there wasn't a lot that was "new" about this one. Which surprised me because of the pace of technological change.

Another surprise was that I could select my country of birth as "England." Most (non-census) forms don't offer that option, and all you get offered is "United Kingdom."

Well I've just worked out why you're so pessimistic all of the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

It certainly seems unusual that they took the site down as a precaution due to a DDOS. Either the site gets taken down by the DDOS, or not much else happens but maybe some slowness, choosing to take it down makes no sense. So I do think the common opinion that the site simply failed under the peak load that started around 730pm may well be true but it's too embarrassing to admit.

I recall seeing a map of DDOS activity (don't know how real or accurate) of the world which practically showed no activity in Australia.

That being said I do see it as plausible that the ABS may have had concerns about other potential security breaches which were hightened by the DDOS attack and they just played the safe option.

Edited by malloy
Dun goofed trying to post.

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Getting ready for the breakup.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sheepdog said:

What does distributed denial of service mean?

"Put simply, a DDoS uses a network of computers or other devices to send a large number of requests to a target site or service in an attempt to overwhelm it. It is best referred to as an "attack" rather than a "hack" as it doesn't require the attackers to breach the service in any way.

An analogy might be, say 50 people all trying to get through a normal-width door at precisely the same time; the doorway is jammed up and no-one can get through and neither can all the others banked up behind them.

As I understand it from a layman's point of view, was it really a DDos "attack" or simply that the ABS stuffed up the whole thing and the site could not cope with 7 million households or so all trying to access the site at the same time after coming home from work and having dinner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepdog said:

What does distributed denial of service mean?

A lot of cunts hitting a website at once to overwhelm it.

Except they're not actually people, but most likely bots or computers infected with viruses or whatever that lets someone else control it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheepdog said:

Cheers lads.

So basically the person responsible had nothing to gain from it other than just making a fair cunt of himself? Is that a reasonable assumption to make? 

Yeah - pretty much so. But that is what the government are saying however independent services that monitor this sort of stuff are saying that there was nothing happening - it was all quite Tuesday evening traffic. 

I worked at a company that was hit by one of these DDOS a day before we had a tender to respond to - so we can only presume it was our Chinese competitors that were behind that incident. The Russians and Chinese like to do it when ever they get offended, which is every day. But in this instance independent services are saying that there was no DDOS.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Yeah - pretty much so. But that is what the government are saying however independent services that monitor this sort of stuff are saying that there was nothing happening - it was all quite Tuesday evening traffic. 

I worked at a company that was hit by one of these DDOS a day before we had a tender to respond to - so we can only presume it was our Chinese competitors that were behind that incident. The Russians and Chinese like to do it when ever they get offended, which is every day. But in this instance independent services are saying that there was no DDOS.

Sounds like something I would do quite frankly. 

What a lad!

6 minutes ago, cadete said:

I hope it turns out better than their last gig in Melbourne at Calder Raceway.

Pissed down rain and they only did half a set no? 
I've seen them in '07 and '14 in Melbourne, and '12 in Toulouse although admittedly thats not with Slash and Duff. Still, the first two in particular were up there with the best live gigs ive seen. He might be a twat, but Axl is the brains in that band.

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Pissed down rain and they only did half a set no? 
I've seen them in '07 and '14 in Melbourne, and '12 in Toulouse although admittedly thats not with Slash and Duff. Still, the first two in particular were up there with the best live gigs ive seen. He might be a twat, but Axl is the brains in that band.

It pissed down with rain, they were like over two hours late, place was oversold with people fainting all over the place but when everyone asked for water it had to be brought at some ridiculous price (Not to mention that Bottled Water was still a newish thing in Australia at the time as well).

On the plus side the choice of venue meant Malloy was able to walk home.

EDIT: I dont like them at all but I def agree Axel is that band and therefore it annoys me when PPL pump up Slash's tyres.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1