Melbourne Football

TTDIM: Things that don't irk me

bazzatron

TTDIM: The former British Army officer, now living in Newcastle NSW, who had 100 women present for his 100th birthday party, fulfilling a wish he made back at the start of the Second World War in 1939. Great story amongst all the doom and gloom of the modern world.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

TTDIM; leftist bureaucrats making rational economic decisions. 

TTDIM; watching entitled prats carrying on like they've made the minimum wage $1

TTDIM : more shit open on Sundays and public holidays.

TTDIM : working the UK markets until 4am every night and making a bigger 'penalty rate'  than any of these cunts without any regulations. 

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

TTDIM; leftist bureaucrats making rational economic decisions. 

TTDIM; watching entitled prats carrying on like they've made the minimum wage $1

But they have to give up there Sundays!  They deserve to be paid more! You wouldn't understand! Working your 8-4 weekday job,  what do you know! 

obviously none of you cunts have ever worked hungover af on a Sunday

granted, I only get an extra $6/h on Sundays as a casual so I personally don't really care, but for people who do shift work as a full time profession (e.g nurses, carers) it's a pretty shit thing. 

1 minute ago, Nate said:

granted, I only get an extra $6/h on Sundays as a casual so I personally don't really care, but for people who do shift work as a full time profession (e.g nurses, carers) it's a pretty shit thing. 

So what, it's a life choice. If you want your weekends, get another job. If you like getting paid extra, work weekends. Pretty simple really.

14 minutes ago, bt50 said:

So what, it's a life choice. If you want your weekends, get another job. If you like getting paid extra, work weekends. Pretty simple really.

well that's kind of the reason people are so up in arms, they aren't going to get paid extra now so there's no incentive. 

like I said, I don't care but it's not really that difficult to empathise with people that do care and that will be affected by this.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Nate said:

Many nurses will only work weekends. They get paid so handsomely for those two days that it's not worth them working Monday-Friday. 

23 minutes ago, Nate said:

well that's kind of the reason people are so up in arms, they aren't going to get paid extra now so there's no incentive. 

like I said, I don't care but it's not really that difficult to empathise with people that do care and that will be affected by this.

They are still getting paid extra, but not as much as before. So there is an incentive, and if there wasnt then employees would pay extra above what they have to to get people to work those days anyway.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Many nurses will only work weekends. They get paid so handsomely for those two days that it's not worth them working Monday-Friday. 

And that's exactly the issues, penalty rates are set so high that in many jobs employees are tripping over themselves to get a shift with penalty rates, which shows they are too high. My experience is that most people will do anything for a few more dollars and you'd have people happy to work sundays etc for a relatively small penalty rate in comparison to what legislation requires currently. So all it achieves is hurting small business.

At the end of the day I'm pretty sure the economy is in a recession currently (cant be confirmed until next GDP figures, but I think there is a good chance we are), so it's good timing for something that will cut costs for small business and lead to increased trading hours. The last time there was a recession in Australia was when I was born, it's something that a large proportion of our society hasnt experienced in their working lives, it could be a matter of time before people are happy they have a job at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

it could be a matter of time before people are happy they have a job at all.

Funnily the experience in my profession is the opposite. 2013-2016, whilst the public servants have had their hand outs for pay rises we have had none (in fact a cut if you include the increase in super contribution)  and seen a raft of retrenchments. Now that's all changed and there are lots of opportunities. I expect in Vic the building boom will flow through to the rest of the economy over the next day 18 months.

this of course assumes that the world doesn't have a protectionist induced recession.

23 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Funnily the experience in my profession is the opposite. 2013-2016, whilst the public servants have had their hand outs for pay rises we have had none (in fact a cut if you include the increase in super contribution)  and seen a raft of retrenchments. Now that's all changed and there are lots of opportunities. I expect in Vic the building boom will flow through to the rest of the economy over the next day 18 months.

this of course assumes that the world doesn't have a protectionist induced recession.

Well that's the thing, the corner could already have been turned but because data is delayed we don't really know. 

Fwiw I highly doubt they'll be any major protectionist moves made. 

Also worth noting a recession isn't bad for everyone. If you have money in the bank or a stable job you're not going to lose, it presents great opportunities. 

48 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Also worth noting a recession isn't bad for everyone. If you have money in the bank or a stable job you're not going to lose, it presents great opportunities. 

Actually you are spot on here. As a young bloke in that situation, the early 90s recession was salad days as far as I was concerned.

Not as immune to it these days though.

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

Actually you are spot on here. As a young bloke in that situation, the early 90s recession was salad days as far as I was concerned.

Not as immune to it these days though.

Was tough. Just out of school and no jobs wasn't easy. It's pretty amazing how long it has been since the last major correction.

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Was tough. Just out of school and no jobs wasn't easy. It's pretty amazing how long it has been since the last major correction.

I was just lucky, a few years older* I was established in work . My employers were not affected by it. Also Victoria was hit particularly hard.

* it's the clean living makes me look so young

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

I was just lucky, a few years older* I was established in work . My employers were not affected by it. Also Victoria was hit particularly hard.

* it's the clean living makes me look so young

I remember lining up for job interviews waiting for 3 hours to be told they weren't taking any more interviews. These were just for casual part time jobs.

30 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Not much better for young people since the GFC tbh.

But you need to make your own luck 💪💪💪

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

FWIW :

Who will be hardest hit by changes to Sunday penalty rates?

Retail workers will take the biggest hit, while casual workers in hospitality will keep their existing penalty rates.

Retail workers (full-time and part-time) will see their Sunday penalty rates cut from 200 per cent (double time) to 150 per cent (time and a half). The rates for casuals will fall from 200 per cent to 175 per cent.

Fast food outlets will cut Sunday penalty rates cut from 150 per cent to 125 per cent for full-time and part-time workers.

Hospitality workers will see their Sunday penalty rates reduced from 175 per cent to 150 per cent, but there will be no change in rates for casuals.

Sunday penalty rates for workers in restaurants and licensed clubs will not change.

Workers in pharmacies will see their Sunday penalty rates cut between the hours of 7am to 9pm from 200 per cent to 150 per cent. Rates for casual employees will fall from 200 per cent to 175 per cent.

16 hours ago, Tesla said:

Not much better for young people since the GFC tbh.

But you need to make your own luck 💪💪💪

Nah, it was ten times worse... even hardcore ALP voters admit that Victoria was completely fucked over by Cain and Kirner, Melbourne literally had a worse unemployment rate than Adelaide for the only time ever.

Also its very well for someone like you qualified in economics to tell PPL about greater benefits to these changes to Penalty Rates (clearly they have a lot of sound reasoning behind them)... However at the same time its bloody understandable for the person whose pays is going to go down to be upset and feel like they are being talked down to in a Hewson like manner.

TTDIM: A couple days ago I was at a welcome to the Bachelor of Arts session at La Trobe for work. They had a big screen on stage where the audience could text in their questions and then they would instantly appear on the screen for the academics to answer at their discretion. The head of the gender studies department got up to speak and the screen was thoroughly raped with 10/10 trolling. Shit like "There are only two genders", "Is feminism a religion?", "You can't stump the Trump", "Praise Kek", "Who let you out of the kitchen?" etc. Was brilliant. She ended up ranting for five minutes before being cut off by the MC to keep things moving, which prompted her to then rant about women not being allowed to speak by men.

Bonus TTDIM: being called a "scourge on society" for supporting the decision to reduce penalty rates.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

TTDIM: A couple days ago I was at a welcome to the Bachelor of Arts session at La Trobe for work. They had a big screen on stage where the audience could text in their questions and then they would instantly appear on the screen for the academics to answer at their discretion. The head of the gender studies department got up to speak and the screen was thoroughly raped with 10/10 trolling. Shit like "There are only two genders", "Is feminism a religion?", "You can't stump the Trump", "Praise Kek", "Who let you out of the kitchen?" etc. Was brilliant. She ended up ranting for five minutes before being cut off by the MC to keep things moving, which prompted her to then rant about women not being allowed to speak by men.

Lol how did they honestly think that would go well?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cadete said:

Nah, it was ten times worse... even hardcore ALP voters admit that Victoria was completely fucked over by Cain and Kirner, Melbourne literally had a worse unemployment rate than Adelaide for the only time ever.

Also its very well for someone like you qualified in economics to tell PPL about greater benefits to these changes to Penalty Rates (clearly they have a lot of sound reasoning behind them)... However at the same time its bloody understandable for the person whose pays is going to go down to be upset and feel like they are being talked down to in a Hewson like manner.

Of course, I don't know why you think I'm out of touch with reality, maybe I am a bit but I do understand these things. However, I've always been a 'big picture'  person and don't apologise for that. 

Fwiw, the people affected are lucky they live in Australia where even after this they still have good penalty rates and a high minimum wage and a tax system where they pay a low level of tax as a low income earner and have great universal health care etc. Of course I don't expect them to appreciate it when their pay is going down, but truth is they're still better off as a low skilled worker than they would be in 95% of other countries.

It's also worth mentioning that the way the penalty cuts have been done incentivises employers to move people to permanent positions rather than casual which is a good thing for employees. 

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

TTDIM: Another day, another fine example of VicPol making a massive :droy: of themselves.

I cant believe the general public and, in response, our state government thinks that hiring more police is going to solve anything.

The general public is made up of a bunch of window lickers who either think building a new freeway was a bad idea so let's rip up the billion dollar contracts or that sharia law is taking over Australia and all crime is caused by Africans. Subtlety has left the game - if it was ever here in the first place.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Tesla said:

TTDIM: That these SJWs dont even realise they're brainwashed puppets of a Hungarian billionaire. 

Girl I went to uni with is super left wing - like greens are too right for her- shared some fb group today called "women for Elizabeth warren" 

fuck me dead I couldn't believe how retarded that is. EW is a massive corporate shill and part of the democrat establishment who are the bloody bourgeoisie

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, eric forman said:

TTDIM; Spotify

Been on Premium Spotify since it came out and the best value for money subscription you can have... it amazes me when PPL tell me they just got it and saw the worth of the thing now.

When I was a 14yr old and someone had told me that Spotify would exist I would have be awestruck.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 4