Melbourne Football

TTDIM: Things that don't irk me

bazzatron

I like people who bring character to the game such as Ian Holloway who is genuinely interesting and hilarious, but Mourinho in my eyes is just another grumpy old cunt who can't cop a hit.

Maybe if I cared more about EPL or supported a side who had remote chance of winning anything in the past ten years then I would care about such things but from afar all I see is a really funny arrogant bloke who talks about himself in the third person. 

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Maybe if I cared more about EPL or supported a side who had remote chance of winning anything in the past ten years then I would care about such things but from afar all I see is a really funny arrogant bloke who talks about himself in the third person. 

Totally agree. I believe the person Nate is referring to is Arsene Wenger.

TTDIM: James Harrison of the Pittsburgh Steelers posting on Instagram how he was taking away the trophies his sons were given for "participation" at athletics, and refusing to give them back til they earn them.

I would be devastated if when I was eight and my McDonald's Certificate Voucher had been taken away...

• Like 1

I would be devastated if when I was eight and my McDonald's Certificate Voucher had been taken away...

Yeah, but you would have known deep down inside that you didn't really deserve it. You would really just be devastated at losing your small cheeseburger meal!

Edited by Pete Heartspur

Yeah, but you would have known deep down inside that you didn't really deserve it. You would really just be devastated at losing your small cheeseburger meal!

In a Under Nine AFL team if the Certificate was given out my merit it would have gone to the same kid every week... the one that would burst out the centre and 15 metres down the 40 metre sized field and kicked a goal from thirty metres out.

The same kid who usually quit by after Under Thirteens to focus on Tennis because he was a hog and did not like passing.

Edited by cadete

So the nature of the certificate is what is important cadete. At the very young ages, between 6-9, 'generally' encouraging participation is key. From the ages of 9-12 any form of award must be of merit for a certain quality the child displays, whether it is for having the 'best technique' or being the 'best competitor.' Of course there is overlap if the child's stage of developmental is beyond their age, for eg. an advanced 8 year old competing with 10 year olds. In this case the parents and coach of the younger child play a vital role in encouraging them without the need for participation awards. 

I'm all for participation awards but they must reflect the developmental stage the child is at. 

• Like 1

The problem is that even if they were training 24/7, many kids won't get much better. Sporting ability largely comes down to nature, some are just born athletes.

So the idea of not giving participation awards to encourage them to try harder to get better is flawed.

• Like 1

The problem is that even if they were training 24/7, many kids won't get much better. Sporting ability largely comes down to nature, some are just born athletes.

So the idea of not giving participation awards to encourage them to try harder to get better is flawed.

Environment is the biggest factor in athlete development. 

To add to my post above participation awards should never EVER be in the form of a trophy, but should be a ribbon or certificate. 

Edited by n i k o

To add to my post above participation awards should never EVER be in the form of a trophy, but should be a ribbon or certificate. 

It may well be the most important factor, but development is still limited by natural potential, and the majority of kids are going to be average players no matter what. 

Participation awards should never EVER be in the form of a trophy, but should be a ribbon or certificate. 

Best participation awards are the ones they give out to the juniors at my local cricket club. Just a framed certificate thing with a team photo, a picture of them playing and their stats for the season. The kids still get a momento of the season but its not designed as an award

• Like 1

It may well be the most important factor, but development is still limited by natural potential, and the majority of kids are going to be average players no matter what. 

Referring to your previous post if a child is training '24/7' and does not develop significantly then that is without doubt a result of a poor environment (parental expectation/pressure, poor coaching, training environment). That is of course assuming the child's motivation and enjoyment for playing and improving is high. 

I don't disagree though that 'natural potential' plays a factor in the development of a child. 

Referring to your previous post if a child is training '24/7' and does not develop significantly then that is without doubt a result of a poor environment (parental expectation/pressure, poor coaching, training environment). That is of course assuming the child's motivation and enjoyment for playing and improving is high. 

I don't disagree though that 'natural potential' plays a factor in the development of a child. 

It really depends on the ages we're talking about TBH, I think you're talking about quite young children when they aren't developed physically anyway.

But either way, if you didn't win the genetic lottery, you're not going to ever be very good. Even blokes like Hoffman and even Behich who clearly got to where they are through hard work and determination rather than natural ability still would have won like a division 3 prize in the genetic lottery. Actually soccer is not too bad in some respects, at least it's not too dependant on being tall, like basketball, tennis, swimming, etc are. Seemingly just being tall and being able to hold a racquet looks like it's enough to be a pro tennis player (Karlovic).

When you've got an entire squad working hard on their game to be the best they can why can't they all get a trophy?

To be honest I'm a bigger fan of "trainer of the year" (or similar) than best and fairest, as any kid can win the first one but the 2nd normally only has a handful in the running from day dot.

Edited by Shahanga

TTDIM: Jarred Hayne.

Heres a guy who could've stayed in the NRL, earned a shit tonne of money and probably retire on a good wicket but instead decided to challenge himself by taking on a sport in a new country which has some of the best athletes in the world participating in it and it didn't take him being offered millions of dollars to change sports either ( looking at you Israel Folau)

I hope he goes well.

• Like 5

TTDIM: Jarred Hayne.

Heres a guy who could've stayed in the NRL, earned a shit tonne of money and probably retire on a good wicket but instead decided to challenge himself by taking on a sport in a new country which has some of the best athletes in the world participating in it and it didn't take him being offered millions of dollars to change sports either ( looking at you Israel Folau)

I hope he goes well.

Half of them are only good at what they are signed for because they're overweight!

But I get your point.

• 2 weeks later...