Jump to content
Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]


Torn Asunder
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, haz said:

The Victorian Government has announced more than $25 million in upgrades to AAMI Park, further enhancing Victoria’s home of football ahead of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™. 

https://aamipark.com.au/news/aami-park-set-for-upgrades-ahead-of-fifa-womens-world-cup/

Knowing the public "works" undertaken by the Victorian State Government I think I can already sniff our home ground being completely out of action and more matches at Casey Fields...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Knowing the public "works" undertaken by the Victorian State Government I think I can already sniff our home ground being completely out of action and more matches at Casey Fields...

Was worried that may be the case (although I highly doubt it). But if it does happen, I'll be cancelling my membership. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.ca3595e29a7c02c327e03dd8cce61009.pngYou might like to see the state of the club's former training pitch out at Bundoora. It's rumoured that overall we spent A$12m on the whole facility we had out there, and now look at it - what IIRC is (or was) a Desso Grassmaster pitch.

Seems like we've got plenty of money to waste when we want to, but aren't prepared to get some decent players in.

(Photo credit - a mate of mine)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

image.thumb.png.ca3595e29a7c02c327e03dd8cce61009.pngYou might like to see the state of the club's former training pitch out at Bundoora. It's rumoured that overall we spent A$12m on the whole facility we had out there, and now look at it - what IIRC is (or was) a Desso Grassmaster pitch.

Seems like we've got plenty of money to waste when we want to, but aren't prepared to get some decent players in.

(Photo credit - a mate of mine)

For people who may forget the Bundoora facility. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, haz said:

Was worried that may be the case (although I highly doubt it). But if it does happen, I'll be cancelling my membership. 

The Femmaroos are playing Sweden at the MRS on 12th November and I reckon the works will start immediately afterwards. I wouldn't be so confident as you are, and even if the stadium remains usable during the works I won't be surprised if there will be major interference with spectator facilities. Our first scheduled match there after 12th November is the Christmas Derby on 17th December.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The Femmaroos are playing Sweden at the MRS on 12th November and I reckon the works will start immediately afterwards. I wouldn't be so confident as you are, and even if the stadium remains usable during the works I won't be surprised if there will be major interference with spectator facilities. Our first scheduled match there after 12th November is the Christmas Derby on 17th December.

A mate of mine whose membership seat is next to me got an email a week ago saying planned works meant that his seat would be unavailable due to work to be undertaken at the MRS and therefore his seat would be moved.

Strangely myself and another friend who both sit next to him did not get this email.

To me the email indicates that matches will still go ahead at MRS and not be moved to Casey Fields.

Also $25M doesn't get you much in the way of "works" in Victoria these days (maybe MRS is simply having an aboriginal flag installed...).

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

image.thumb.png.ca3595e29a7c02c327e03dd8cce61009.pngYou might like to see the state of the club's former training pitch out at Bundoora. It's rumoured that overall we spent A$12m on the whole facility we had out there, and now look at it - what IIRC is (or was) a Desso Grassmaster pitch.

Seems like we've got plenty of money to waste when we want to, but aren't prepared to get some decent players in.

(Photo credit - a mate of mine)

But isn't that whole area behind Latrobe, including our old training ground and the driving range, now to be used for the upcoming Womens World Cup?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, rass said:

But isn't that whole area behind Latrobe, including our old training ground and the driving range, now to be used for the upcoming Womens World Cup?

I thought that I read somewhere that Latrobe was going to be the new permanent home of Matildas. Meaning they would take over the old CFA which was a perfect size.

Edited by Mr MO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I thought that I read somewhere that Latrobe was going to be the new permanent home of Matildas. Meaning they would take over the old CFA which was a perfect size.

I'm now totally confused over this. I though that the home for the Femmaroos, and other entities as well, was going to be over towards the plenty Road side of the Bundoora campus grounds, and there was going to be a small stadium there as well. IIRC we talked about this in a thread somewhere, fairly recently, but I can't remember which one.

Ah, here we are. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-22/sneak-peek-inside-victoria-s-new-home-of-matildas-facility/100918334

I don't think it's anything to do with our old CFA.

Edited by jw1739
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm now totally confused over this. I though that the home for the Femmaroos, and other entities as well, was going to be over towards the plenty Road side of the Bundoora campus grounds, and there was going to be a small stadium there as well. IIRC we talked about this in a thread somewhere, fairly recently, but I can't remember which one.

Ah, here we are. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-22/sneak-peek-inside-victoria-s-new-home-of-matildas-facility/100918334

I don't think it's anything to do with our old CFA.

Ah that’s my bad then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Ah that’s my bad then.

I think you're forgiven! It's all very confusing. Logically I would have thought that our old CFA could have been taken over by the Matildas as soon as we vacated it, pending the completion of a new facility close by. But logic doesn't determine much these days it seems...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/08/2022 at 4:05 PM, haz said:

The Victorian Government has announced more than $25 million in upgrades to AAMI Park, further enhancing Victoria’s home of football ahead of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™. 

https://aamipark.com.au/news/aami-park-set-for-upgrades-ahead-of-fifa-womens-world-cup/

Some further details on what is being upgraded.

"Works at AAMI Park will include upgrades to stadium lights and video screens, as well as boosts to player amenities and corporate, spectator and broadcast facilities. This includes enhanced Wi-Fi coverage. "

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/aami-park-signs-major-soccer-deal/news-story/2777c829949cb9f640250e76d436d831

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

This is also in the Merchandise thread. "The Age" chose to name Melbourne City in it's headline.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Subsidiaries

Manchester City F.C. (100%)

New York City FC (80%)

Melbourne City FC (100%)

Montevideo City Torque (100%)

Troyes AC (100%)

Lommel S.K. (99%)

Mumbai City FC (65%)

Girona FC (47%)

Sichuan Jiuniu F.C. (29.7%)

Yokohama F. Marinos (20%)

Palermo F.C. (80%)

Esporte Clube Bahia (90%)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

There was a rumour that this was supposed to be voted on mid week and the APL just made the decision and announced it.

Yeah owner meeting on Thursday..... same time they said board of directors voted unanimously however Chris Fong from Brisbane who is on the board didn't agree with it/wasn't told  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I hope our club will come out with an official statement soon.

What a mess has the APL created again, talking about killing the World Cup momentum.

I don't think it matters what the club says now, or indeed what anyone says. The damage has been done.

As I read it, this was being considered up to 12 months ago. In which case individual club management at the local level either knew nothing about it, or if they did know about it did nothing in the way of consulting their members. It wouldn't be rocket science for all the clubs to have canvassed every single A-League member.

This is a decision made by a group of privileged wealthy people who are not football fans telling real fans what's good for them. You won't see any of them at Woolworths on a Tuesday morning looking at all the specials for the week. They don't take the train to the match, or drive for two hours to get back home afterwards. They're not frisked on the way into the ground and they don't sit or stand behind the goal. They don't give a shit about what we think, and they never will.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Are you saying the voting has already happened?

Club owners thought they'll be voting/consulted on Thursday.

However the APL gone ahead and moved the GF claiming their board of directors voted unanimously in changing it but Chris Fong from Brisbane who is on that board(as one of the 5 clubs on it) was against it and never voted and rumors also victory said no as well. 

 

Edited by HughJass
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think it matters what the club says now, or indeed what anyone says. The damage has been done.

As I read it, this was being considered up to 12 months ago. In which case individual club management at the local level either knew nothing about it, or if they did know about it did nothing in the way of consulting their members. It wouldn't be rocket science for all the clubs to have canvassed every single A-League member.

This is a decision made by a group of privileged wealthy people who are not football fans telling real fans what's good for them. You won't see any of them at Woolworths on a Tuesday morning looking at all the specials for the week. They don't take the train to the match, or drive for two hours to get back home afterwards. They're not frisked on the way into the ground and they don't sit or stand behind the goal. They don't give a shit about what we think, and they never will.

It does matter for me in the sense that I want to know if our club voted for this idea.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Same. The decision won't be reversed. I just want to know why we didn't come out straight away saying we were/are against this

Exactly, as this wasn’t done just adds to the suspicion that we were in support of this idea. Might be the final nail in coffin for some with this club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Exactly, as this wasn’t done just adds to the suspicion that we were in support of this idea. Might be the final nail in coffin for some with this club.

I fear it will be for me. I don't think I can carry on as a member if City management backed this cluster fuck. I don't know what else I can do but withdraw my support. As jw says, I think the damage is done. I'm both ropeable and heartbroken.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

This reminds me a little of the european super league…..

Silence from club is annoying, even Victory managed to get out a opposing statement yesterday.

Except that the European Super League was an idea whereas everything I've read so far suggests that this is a signed deal.

I'll be surprised if we don't get a club statement this week, but I fear for what it will say. I suspect that will be heavily vetted by CFG and try to tell us what is happening will be good for us. If it's not being vetted it should and could have been issued within hours.

We must do everything we can to stand together as a fan base across all the clubs.

Like @fensaddler I don't see how I can continue to support the club if this is a reality and we were in favour of the decision.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have forever been backing the club and to a lesser degree the League and I get that statements on a forum are basically just hot air.

But I'm on the verge of walking away.

If the club doesn't respond in the correct way I'm done. 

I've already emailed them.

Can't believe the idiocy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...