Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

21 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Khaldoon Al Mubarak on CFG as a whole 

"It's one step at a time. We're not going to stop. We're going to keep going and keep investing and keep growing value and keep bringing happiness to every community and club we have in the world…”

Khaldoon Al Mubarak on GF Loss 

"Of course we were not successful in the GF.. that’s football, finals are 90’ which is different to a league which inevitably the best team wins across the whole season whatever number of games you play. 

In a final it’s 90' sometimes it goes your way sometimes it doesn’t and when it does it’s great and when it doesn’t it doesn’t

Melbourne unfortunately over the season was the most consistent team but on the GF they were not successful "

C'est la vie? I suppose you'd say the same thing if the EPL had a Grand Final and although by tradition it should have been held at the Etihad, ManC had to play it in London and were smashed 1-6 by Arsenal?

I somehow doubt it, old chap.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

"10 years of Melbourne City, and what have we done,
Another year over, a new one just begun...
So this is Melbourne City, I hope you had fun,
The near and dear ones, the old and the young."

(From a mate of mine, with apologies to John Lennon/Yoko Ono: 'Happy Christmas - War is Over')

Edited by jw1739

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Paradise lost, or paradise gained - that is the question.

Yes, we did lose a little of our soul. But we at least got owners who wanted to invest in the club and were serious about winning trophies. 

People look back at the heart days with rose coloured glasses too much imo. Those times were not as great at we all pretend they were. We were a woefully run club on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Paradise lost, or paradise gained - that is the question.

So we lost a club that was “a bit” of a shambles but we all felt we were part of and were personally invested in and replaced it with a well run but largely soulless machine that gives us success but we feel somewhat removed from.

Which is better is a matter of personal preference I guess, but it is nice to actually win.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Doubt it after taking over the APL

And haven't exactly covered themselves with glory there. They have already said that Australia is not the investment they thought it would be. Any links to Manchester are hardly visible now. We could be cut adrift and no-one would notice.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

So we lost a club that was “a bit” of a shambles but we all felt we were part of and were personally invested in and replaced it with a well run but largely soulless machine that gives us success but we feel somewhat removed from.

Which is better is a matter of personal preference I guess, but it is nice to actually win.

The only reason we felt we were part of it was because we there at birth. We put our money in but had no say about players, coaching or organisation. Just like today. I prefer today because we have won things rather than "we were unlucky" or "if we win, we win, if we lose, we lose".

1 minute ago, haz said:

Now that is great to see. It's a long time since we saw a report on CITC. IIRC the reports came out monthly. I think CITC is always one of the things that draws people to the club.

I can't find a report on the club website however??

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IssySG said:

Dirty CFG bastards just broke the womens record transfer fee twice this week. If I'm not mistaken acorss the mens and womens teams we've broken record transfer fees four times in the past year?

CFG OUT.

Any idea what the girls transfer fees were worth?

17 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Any idea what the girls transfer fees were worth?

Worth enough to potentially let the title slip. Star player out with ACL, several key players away for internal duties for over a month and now two more starters gone on permanent transfers.

Such a turbulent odd season for both male and female this year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Extremely interesting article. Depressing really. What hope have we got? We don't even get anyone from another CFG club, just see a continual exodus of our better players.

True, but it's also a large part of why they want to play for us in the first place.

• Like 1