Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

What's the latest?

I haven't read up on lately but did hear that this 777 is threatening to sue Victory for mismanagement and are formally complaining to the APL for misleading conduct for directing them to invest in that club. 

Poor PE Associates who earn hundreds of thousands per year couldn't put effort into their due diligence.... 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What's the latest?

I haven't read up on lately but did hear that this 777 is threatening to sue Victory for mismanagement and are formally complaining to the APL for misleading conduct for directing them to invest in that club. 

Where did you read/hear this? I haven't seen anything about that 

6 hours ago, HughJass said:

Where did you read/hear this? I haven't seen anything about that 

On Twitter mostly hear say so not sure what is true. I must say the legal action mentioned referred to “shareholders” so not even clear if this was in fact 777.

Let’s not talk about them anymore overhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citypool said:

I must say as shit as city and the a league is run the actual games are entertaining 

Seriously, this is the real sadness. We play a good standard of football, and our crowds are not bad. IMO our current squad could hold its own in EFL League 1. 

As far as the League is concerned we've just gone from bad with FA to worse with APL. And for CFG we deserve a lot better than we're getting - at the very least we should be playing a couple of other CFG clubs per season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Crazy to think that the same people who are crying poor by saying that the Sydney GF deal is to save the league financially also openly stated they’ve made an offer to Ronaldo.

It's complete bullshit.

Personally I felt this was CFGs opportunity to buy out the competition and fulfil their dream of having an entire leauge of teams all called city wearing the same kits. 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Yeah. Makes you wonder what the motivation is doesn't it? We're pretty much the same of course. Perhaps there is close contact between Melbourne and Manchester behind the scenes, but as members we don't see much of it. The "Lampard Rule" means we're unlikely to see any players come to play for us. On the coaching side it could be argued that Mombaerts was a CFG coach, but it does surprise me that there isn't a coach somewhere in the CFG stable who could have come to replace PK.  I guess that if NYCFC are slipping down the pecking order then we're probably bottom.

Edited by jw1739

Not sure what the unravelling implications of this are, but I suspect they may not be all good. Suppose it got to the point where CFG decided or was forced to sell our club, we have to ask what sort of prospect we are for a potential buyer, and who there is out there who would buy us? Some of the potential outcomes include the club folding, or us being bought by someone even worse, the Saudis, for example. So whilst we can dream of a buyer who returns us to our roots and our traditional colours, we could also be looking at oblivion, even greater pariah status than we already have, or yet another rebrand. Or even years of stagnation whilst CFG fights this and takes its eye off the ball, or gets heavily sanctioned but holds onto us... The potential bad outcomes are considerably more numerous than the positive ones right now. And for the record, I loathe CFG.

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Not sure what the unravelling implications of this are, but I suspect they may not be all good. Suppose it got to the point where CFG decided or was forced to sell our club, we have to ask what sort of prospect we are for a potential buyer, and who there is out there who would buy us? Some of the potential outcomes include the club folding, or us being bought by someone even worse, the Saudis, for example. So whilst we can dream of a buyer who returns us to our roots and our traditional colours, we could also be looking at oblivion, even greater pariah status than we already have, or yet another rebrand. Or even years of stagnation whilst CFG fights this and takes its eye off the ball, or gets heavily sanctioned but holds onto us... The potential bad outcomes are considerably more numerous than the positive ones right now. And for the record, I loathe CFG.

This is obviously absolute worse case scenario. I'm hoping they just strip them of their points and fines/sanctions or maybe take silverware off of them. Having to sell off sister clubs seems a tad excessive 

I can see some rough water ahead, perhaps, but I can't see it sinking our ship. The majority owner of CFG is an arm of the Abu Dhabi Emirate royal family, which is obscenely wealthy, and anything the Premier League does in the way of fines would involve merely petty cash. What might hurt is a loss of face if Manchester City were ejected from the Premier League, and I'd say there's a very small risk that Mansour would spit the dummy and throw his toys out of the bathtub. But I can't see that happening TBH - it would be an even greater loss of face. 

I don't see selling us off to be a significant risk or a significant problem. What's more important, IMO, is for Football Australia and APL to get their acts together to stop making stupid decisions here at home, and to focus on growing the game as far as they can in Australia and making a decent level of professional football sustainable here. Then there would always be people ready to invest in the game here and keep it going when there's a headwind now and then.

40 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Different organisation charging them and pretty sure they got off the previous charges but still had to pay a fine lol

IIRC it was UEFA, who in 2020 threw them out of the Champions League and also fined them heavily. However they appealed to the Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) who allowed the Manchester City to continue participation in the Champions League and reduced the fine from Euro30m to Euro10m

CFG are always sailing very close to the wind it seems. However, this time they may be in trouble. I've just read that the latest EPL action cannot be appealed to the CAS.

Without knowing any details obviously, i assume CFG are very good at placing their people on posts where key decisions are made. If they don't get the decision they want, then they'll assess the cost viability to appeal and if it is beneficial to them, they'll go higher till they get the decision they want.

How it works with the new Newcastle owners in play now, not sure. Maybe they'll get their peeps in too which might make CFG's reign come to an end.

Are people that naive thinking that Man City is the only club operating that way?

Points being deducted in previous seasons is very unlikely, imagine the snowball effect on European qualifications, relegations and missed revenue. Every team will come out of the wood work to claim something.

41 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Feels nice knowing CFG can pay fines with chump change, whilst simultaneously watching the Tards drown in debt. :up:

On that though, how are they allowed to sign new players. They should be under conversatorship.

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

On that though, how are they allowed to sign new players. They should be under conversatorship.

777 were approved to invest in them supposedly cleared the debt but see what the future holds since the terms and conditions are favourable to 777 not so much for victory 

20 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Are people that naive thinking that Man City is the only club operating that way?

Points being deducted in previous seasons is very unlikely, imagine the snowball effect on European qualifications, relegations and missed revenue. Every team will come out of the wood work to claim something.

The only effective way of punishing Manchester City would be to relegate them to League 2. Expel them from the EPL and they would then have to apply to the English Football League for membership. Hard perhaps, but when dealing with entities such as CFG you have to be hard to be effective.

For different reasons Glasgow Rangers were expelled from the Scottish Premier League in 2012, and had to apply for membership of the Scottish Football League and subsequently entered its Third Division for the 2012-13 season. Of course they are back in the SPL now. But it was 2021 before Rangers won another Premiership.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The only effective way of punishing Manchester City would be to relegate them to League 2. Expel them from the EPL and they would then have to apply to the English Football League for membership. Hard perhaps, but when dealing with entities such as CFG you have to be hard to be effective.

For different reasons Glasgow Rangers were expelled from the Scottish Premier League in 2012, and had to apply for membership of the Scottish Football League and subsequently entered its Third Division for the 2012-13 season. Of course they are back in the SPL now. But it was 2021 before Rangers won another Premiership.

That may well be what should happen if they are found guilty, but I suspect that the EPL would see that as also punishing the EPL (financially) so they won't do it. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@belaguttmanIn what way would the EPL be punishing itself? 

Man City has many of the 'stars that attract many to the EPL, both in person and on TV; these are significant sources of revenue and prestige for the EPL. Man City plays attractive football that enhances the prestige and visibility of the EPL, and they are one of the reasons that the EPL is the most viewed football competition with the most revenue. The difficulty for the EPL, at least in the short-term, is that anything that affects Man City will also impact the competition and the prestige and visibility of the competition.

Personally, if they are guilty, I'd treat them like Rangers, but this is why I don't work in the corporate sector; I'm always accused of being an idealist and 'unrealistic'😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I can see some rough water ahead, perhaps, but I can't see it sinking our ship. The majority owner of CFG is an arm of the Abu Dhabi Emirate royal family, which is obscenely wealthy, and anything the Premier League does in the way of fines would involve merely petty cash. What might hurt is a loss of face if Manchester City were ejected from the Premier League, and I'd say there's a very small risk that Mansour would spit the dummy and throw his toys out of the bathtub. But I can't see that happening TBH - it would be an even greater loss of face. 

I don't see selling us off to be a significant risk or a significant problem. What's more important, IMO, is for Football Australia and APL to get their acts together to stop making stupid decisions here at home, and to focus on growing the game as far as they can in Australia and making a decent level of professional football sustainable here. Then there would always be people ready to invest in the game here and keep it going when there's a headwind now and then.

CFG are in this to polish their reputation, or rather that of Abu Dhabi. If being in football has the opposite effect (ie. tarnishes their reputation) then they may rethink.