Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

7 hours ago, CityHeart said:

in...what has always got me is the Western United decision.

They offered the most money along with Macarthur and the ffa were desperate for cash

7 hours ago, CityHeart said:

We may have owed a vote/favor, with tit for tat support going on by the individuals running the league even during the FFA days. 

Cfg lead the charge to separate ffa and the aleague, Greg griffin was the face while Simon Pearce done all the behind the scenes stuff 

Club "statement" here: https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/club-statement-on-match-abandonment

16 hours ago, HughJass said:

Cfg lead the charge to separate ffa and the aleague, Greg griffin was the face while Simon Pearce done all the behind the scenes stuff 

The trouble is, when you let these bastards (such as CFG and Silver Lake) into your organisation, you can't get them out again.

38 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Not sure. I think there will be a reaction both ways. Some will be put off, others will rally round to support the players and to ensure that the bad guys don't win.

IMO quite a few will adopt the approach of @Nate. Continue to enjoy the football (what a pity the discussion isn't about the VDV-O'Neill goal - won't see better than that anywhere) but disengage emotionally with the club and particularly the league, and boycott the "finals."

Given that the latter don't lead anywhere, the latter might not a be a bad thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I rather liked the guy who bought a 3-game cheap WU membership, which was cheaper than tickets to the two matches that he wanted to see!

When I started with Heart the guy that sat next to me had memberships to both Heart and Victory, because he liked watching football and wanted to support the League. I was going to do the same had Team11 got off the ground. I can't see any impediment to buying cheap memberships to all three Melbourne clubs if you wish to.

21 hours ago, Mr MO said:

If we just blame the fans, pretend they are the problem and ban everyone, then they can’t walk out anymore after 20minutes nor can they voice their opinion.

Much as I agree with you about APL, Football Australia, conflicts of interest, and all the rest of it, and share your disillusionment and anger, the issue with flares pre-dates APL by a long time. There would be no restrictions on City's supporters, imposed by the club or anyone else, if flares had not been thrown from the Derby crowd at the southern end.

• Like 5

I still cringe when our club is crying poor at the expense of the fans and couple of measly $m over several seasons. Then the stories of us bullying our way to decisions at APL level.

We are owned by the CFG and the Kingdom of Abu Dhabi.

Manchester City alone has a player wage bill of $6.5m AUD per week, KVDB is on $700k per week.

Edited by Mr MO

10 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

What strikes me about this is the sense that nobody appears to be able to lie straight in bed, and that Victory always appear to be the problem. Apparently they are the biggest debtors to the APL as well, and have a major hooligan problem. Problem club in so many ways.

Yes I just read this just now.

DBC80CF5-0BBC-43C6-A572-8861643AF381.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I still cringe when our club is crying poor at the expense of the fans and couple of measly $m over several seasons. Then the stories of us bullying our way to decisions at APL level.

We are owned by the CFG and the Kingdom of Abu Dhabi.

Manchester City alone has a player wage bill of $6.5m AUD per week alone, KVB is on $700k per week.

This pisses me off too. https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-city-fc/payroll/ And even that is just the senior men's roster. Add into the the capital expenditure, the Etihad campus at HQ and the stadium in New York as examples, and the fact that here in Melbourne the club was prepared to walk away from its $12m expenditure at Bundoora.

And as @fensaddler points out, no-one could get the story right as to who was at a meeting and who voted how.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that the betrayal of fans by the sell-off of the Grand Final hosting rights, the subsequent behaviour at the Derby, and the failure of individual clubs to be open and transparent about their part in it all has shaken my my interest in the game to an extent that I did not believe was possible.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This pisses me off too. https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-city-fc/payroll/ And even that is just the senior men's roster. Add into the the capital expenditure, the Etihad campus at HQ and the stadium in New York as examples, and the fact that here in Melbourne the club was prepared to walk away from its $12m expenditure at Bundoora.

And as @fensaddler points out, no-one could get the story right as to who was at a meeting and who voted how.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that the betrayal of fans by the sell-off of the Grand Final hosting rights, the subsequent behaviour at the Derby, and the failure of individual clubs to be open and transparent about their part in it all has shaken my my interest in the game to an extent that I did not believe was possible.

Yep.

I watched yesterday's game with an apathy not felt since Joyceball, only this time it's not the football on the pitch that's the problem.

19 minutes ago, citypool said:

I just wanna point out as much as we wanna beat victory on the pitch we don't really want them to fail off it. If they go then the whole league could follow and I don't want to end up on my mother's emu farm 

So a loss making club with outstanding debt to the APL, forced the APL to redirect external investors to keep Victory afloat rather than investing elsewhere in the league. And now we are selling our finals to keep clubs like them alive. Then it’s rumoured their financial troubles are mostly due to player spending in order to remain competitive.

So naive of me to think we were selling our finals to create tradition and a football festival!!! 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

These revelations are just making it all worse. I know that FFA and FA in the past have had an ownership role, such as taking over the licence of Newcastle - and don't forget that FFA owned 10% of Victory when the club started - but is that the same as lending money? It's not quite the same IMO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr MO said:

So a loss making club with outstanding debt to the APL, forced the APL to redirect external investors to keep Victory afloat rather than investing elsewhere in the league. And now we are selling our finals to keep clubs like them alive. Then it’s rumoured their financial troubles are mostly due to player spending in order to remain competitive.

So naive of me to think we were selling our finals to create tradition and a football festival!!! 

I dunno why you're coming down on me I just wanna watch football which seems to be a fucking sin in this country 

You know whats ironic. 

The stick that the club and CFG gets beaten with is that it has endless resources and therefore isn't working as hard as other clubs or has an unfair advantage. 

What gets overlooked is how prudent our club is and fiscally responsible they are.

Yes they could probably spend 100 times more than all the others put together but you know what they don't. They have a budget and stick by it. When things work on the pitch then everyone says boo, but when it doesn't thats when we want quick fixes, which generally cost.

Insert a 3 to 4 million 35+ plus player that could transform the League.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

You know whats ironic. 

The stick that the club and CFG gets beaten with is that it has endless resources and therefore isn't working as hard as other clubs or has an unfair advantage. 

What gets overlooked is how prudent our club is and fiscally responsible they are.

Yes they could probably spend 100 times more than all the others put together but you know what they don't. They have a budget and stick by it. When things work on the pitch then everyone says boo, but when it doesn't thats when we want quick fixes, which generally cost.

Insert a 3 to 4 million 35+ plus player that could transform the League.

I agree that it’s annoying discussion and an exhausting debate to have with outsiders, they all think we just spend whatever - clearly that’s not the case when it comes to first team players.

I do however am very conflicted in our role with the finals to Sydney decision. Just like our budgets you just mentioned is 100% financially motivated. We are the last ones to be crying poor. 

So what we do all think if Victory goes bust?

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I agree that it’s annoying discussion and an exhausting debate to have with outsiders, they all think we just spend whatever - clearly that’s not the case when it comes to first team players.

I do however am very conflicted in our role with the finals to Sydney decision. Just like our budgets you just mentioned is 100% financially motivated. We are the last ones to be crying poor. 

So what we do all think if Victory goes bust?

Fundamentally for me no club can be bigger than the League.

But as seen many times before "some" clubs do get bailed out by the League. 

If Victory does end up bust, then I would expect similar.

What should happen with no promo/relegation their licence should then be put out to tender and whoever gets the licence can then decide whether to continue as V2 or start a new club altogether. 

But I cant see that happening. 

47 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Anyone have our accounts? Tards are in a horrendous way lmao

In essence we're a private company and AFAIK don't have any obligation to disclose our accounts to APL/FA except for the purposes of compliance with the salary cap, and AFAIK even that is not required to be made public.

13 minutes ago, Jovan said:

And then to allegedly find out that 777 wanted to invest elsewhere but where directed and introduced to Victory by the APL. Shambles. 

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Two Melbourne clubs, one based in the south-east and playing out of AAMI and the other based in and playing out of Tarneit is rather a nice balance I think.

We don't really need Victory at all. In fact they're a bloody nuisance.

I actually agree with this, three is too many at present.

As if we didn't know, Victory are the toxic locus of everything wrong with the A League. Entitled, indebted, two faced and violent. They've traded on a 'the league needs us' mentality, supported by their media fan base, whilst running up debts despite the biggest fan base and strong commercial income. Spending beyond their means to buy success, whilst failing to invest long term in youth development. Fans engaged in organised violence across their youth team, women's and senior men's matches over many years. Honestly think we have to wonder whether we would be better off without them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

As if we didn't know, Victory are the toxic locus of everything wrong with the A League. Entitled, indebted, two faced and violent. They've traded on a 'the league needs us' mentality, supported by their media fan base, whilst running up debts despite the biggest fan base and strong commercial income. Spending beyond their means to buy success, whilst failing to invest long term in youth development. Fans engaged in organised violence across their youth team, women's and senior men's matches over many years. Honestly think we have to wonder whether we would be better off without them.

I think we are better without them, they are still training in a park after all.

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well at least they allowed their members to vote on this….something we can learn from. Little do they know once you let the CFG in, most likely this was the last time they got to decide on something.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

The Victory situation is absolutely fucking dire, if the reports of the deal they've got with 777 are right, then there's a good chance they're going to be bust regardless of which way the deal goes. 

Yes. I read it as a lose-lose too.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes. I read it as a lose-lose too.

What's the latest?

I haven't read up on lately but did hear that this 777 is threatening to sue Victory for mismanagement and are formally complaining to the APL for misleading conduct for directing them to invest in that club.