Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Still no communication from City. Can't face its own fans. Only rubbing salt into the wound. Cannot believe that our management can behave this way.

Agreed, it's absolute rubbish. I've had no response to my email from yesterday so have followed it up with another this morning; has anyone here had the club get back to them on this?

4 minutes ago, Cityamatic said:

Agreed, it's absolute rubbish. I've had no response to my email from yesterday so have followed it up with another this morning; has anyone here had the club get back to them on this?

Nah I've done the same and just get the generic one back that tells me not to ask for a trial or coaching position. 

2 minutes ago, Cityamatic said:

Yes, initially Ryan got back to me quickly, and he has replied to others I know for a fact. HIs reply stated that all correspondence on this was being passed "up the line" and that a "statement" was being released "later this week." One reply was published earlier in this thread. 

It's really unfortunate that it's he and the others in Membership who have to cop the flak. He has personally helped me on an issue well beyond his terms of reference, and it's not fair on him.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, initially Ryan got back to me quickly, and he has replied to others I know for a fact. HIs reply stated that all correspondence on this was being passed "up the line" and that a "statement" was being released "later this week." One reply was published earlier in this thread. 

It's really unfortunate that it's he and the others in Membership who have to cop the flak. He has personally helped me on an issue well beyond his terms of reference, and it's not fair on him.

Typical of the corporate overlord types who are more than happy to make self-interested decisions and then spinelessly delegate any response of the ensuing fallout to the serfs working on a fraction of their salary. 

I'm livid

Edited by Nate
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes I remember seeing that response now you mention it, thanks. I have also only received the generic response so wasn't sure if others were getting the same, sure the club has been bombarded since you received your response so may not be able to reply individually.

I agree that it is unfortunate that Ryan and others are copping it, like yourself he has been fantastic when I've called the club in the past (even remembering me personally from previous phone conversations which was unexpected).

Agree with all of the above sentiments so far; @fensaddler, @Jovan and the rest of you have articulated your thoughts so well. It really is a sad time, especially given the success of our national team. What a disaster.

We are all assuming the worst so far given the club's silence on the matter, but gosh it certainly looks like they've had a major part to play in this, which is sadder still.

I'm in the same boat regarding total confusion on what to do. Still a bit numb from it to be honest.

I never had any time for Manchester City as a club, but was 100% behind the takeover of Heart as I could see that at the time, it was our only way to survive and guarantee our future in addition to achieving success. For that I will always be grateful as we have been able to share in some wonderful experiences. My highlight (apart from winning both premiership and championship two seasons ago) was taking the family to Adelaide and marching to the ground for that ill fated semi final. It was amazing.

..but things have definitely changed. I was a little devastated when the club moved from Bundoora to the other side of town. Living so close to Latrobe was obviously a huge advantage for me and early on I would take my kids to training most weeks and they have some wonderful memories they will always cherish - so many photos with their favourites from Heart and City days - I'll always treasure the one I have with David Villa and his arms around both my son and daughter. Just priceless. The kids are older now and hence going to training, etc is no longer a priority for them - so the move was softened that way, but those moments are key to why supporting this club was so important to me; it solidified my family bond.

As a person and at my core, I am a ferociously parochial Victorian. Always have been and always will be. I honestly cannot tolerate anything Sydney related, especially in the sporting world. So when this news came out, it filled me with rage. As said, until we hear the official club statement, we can only speculate and assume - but fuk me, it looks terrible from our side - and that has shattered me. It really has. 

I cannot understand for the life of me how this anyway can benefit us. For an entity (CFG) that can happily spend 100million on a single player one year and then look to get rid of him two years later to spend the same on someone else; the financial line also screams bullshit. It honestly makes me think they've had enough of our club now and are just looking at ways to offload us, so pissing off the fans is the first step. Sounds dramatic, but don't know what else to think at the moment.

I honestly don't know what to do. Will still go to the derby as i am having a piss up before hand, but after that? Not sure...

On a side note and i have said it before, i really think we as a sporting code in Australia, have been done over by one man, V'Landys. Sure he has a hand in this somewhere. Yeah, may sound a bit conspiratorial, but he's the only one I can see winning out of all this...

- Pissed off Victorians massively by taking something away from them again. Win.

- Knows the ramifications of this decision will most likely tear the competition apart. What better way to protect his NRL and racing and bring people back there. Win

- If the competition does succeed and the GFs will be played in Sydney, a win for NSW. Win.

Might just rambling now, but as i said, don't know what to feel or think right now.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Cityamatic said:

Yes I remember seeing that response now you mention it, thanks. I have also only received the generic response so wasn't sure if others were getting the same, sure the club has been bombarded since you received your response so may not be able to reply individually.

I agree that it is unfortunate that Ryan and others are copping it, like yourself he has been fantastic when I've called the club in the past (even remembering me personally from previous phone conversations which was unexpected).

@Cityamatic Are you sending to Membership (membership@...) or just to the club in general (info@...)?

I've never, ever, had a "standard response" from the membership address.

Edited by jw1739

Sent an email off as well to confirm my opposition to this terrible decision. Really sick of both the club and football in Australia always kicking on OG after what had been a wonderful and unexpected glow from the Socceroos WC. I'm one who doesn't like the Finals system much prefer a first past the post at the end of the season. But if you're having a final system then stick with the traditional format. It's not like England where you can hop on a train to Wembley to see the FA cup final at not much cost. Unless the sheikh's going to fork out for airline tickets and accommodation then I'll be nowhere near a grand final

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Cityamatic Are you sending to Membership (membership@...) or just to the club in general (info@...)?

I've never, ever, had a "standard response" from the membership address.

Just the info address, that might be the reason in that case - wasn't sure if hitting up the membership address was the right option for an issue like this. Will try that, thanks for the suggestion

@Cityamatic Definitely anything to do with membership use the @membership address. If you use the general address you just get an acknowledgement and I don't believe your original goes anywhere else thereafter. It's pretty much like the standard receptionist who is there to fob you off and prevent you getting to see the person you want to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Sent an email off as well to confirm my opposition to this terrible decision. Really sick of both the club and football in Australia always kicking on OG after what had been a wonderful and unexpected glow from the Socceroos WC. I'm one who doesn't like the Finals system much prefer a first past the post at the end of the season. But if you're having a final system then stick with the traditional format. It's not like England where you can hop on a train to Wembley to see the FA cup final at not much cost. Unless the sheikh's going to fork out for airline tickets and accommodation then I'll be nowhere near a grand final

Agreed. Looking at the costs of air fares/accommodation/etc., as well as having to take time off work to travel, the league could charge 500 bucks for a ticket to a home GF at AAMI Park and it would still be cheaper for me to attend the latter. Plus I can't stand Sydney, so doubt I'll attend a GF if we make it ever again.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Definitely anything to do with membership use the @membership address. If you use the general address you just get an acknowledgement and I don't believe your original goes anywhere else thereafter. It's pretty much like the standard receptionist who is there to fob you off and prevent you getting to see the person you want to.

Git the standard response but then Ryan replied to my email yesterday when I sent it to info, today no reply yet 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cityamatic said:

I emailed them early yesterday morning and they responded with this:

Dear valued member 

We like money, fuck you hahahahaha

From,

Daddy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, citypool said:

My girl sent me this:

At the end of the days it's not the boys fault that the a league is run by a money grabbing twat we got to get behind them!!! 
We are melboune!!!! 

They will come and go. We will remain after they retire or move on to a club. Sorry but they may very well be collateral damage in making a statement so be it. 

46 minutes ago, rass said:

The whole thing stinks. That conflict of interest with Silver Lake's involvement says it all.

In any properly constituted organisation members have an obligation to disclose potential conflicts of interest, and to stand aside from voting when those conflicts occur. In fact, Melbourne City should probably not be voting on any APL decision that involves financial matters. 

This meeting was of club chairmen, or representatives thereof (our Chairman is Al Mubarak, Pearce is Vice-chairman), not the Board of APL. Pearce is also on the APL Board and also has a conflict of interest there.

Indeed, the whole process stinks to high heaven. Interesting how various statements have been made and then withdrawn, and now it's Lederer leading the field rather than Townsend. I really don't know how anyone can be trusted to tell the truth.

I very much regret that I wholeheartedly supported the takeover of Heart. What to do? Well, I'm meeting a couple of Gang members tomorrow for coffee and maybe we'll nut something out.

22 minutes ago, haz said:

I'm scratching my head as to why the Nix would vote For? 

Both $$$$ and bullied. If they don't go along with it they risk being excluded from the League.

Edited by jw1739

6 minutes ago, HughJass said:

What a truly pathetic statement crying poor and claim players being targeted.... Didn't realise Simon Pearce is a player

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/club-statement-on-a-leagues-grand-finals

Yeah got the same message. Not a hearts and mind message. Once the heart goes, the mind can easily follow.

2 minutes ago, HughJass said:

What a truly pathetic statement crying poor and claim players being targeted.... Didn't realise Simon Pearce is a player

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/club-statement-on-a-leagues-grand-finals

To cry poor is just laughable. The last paragraph providing no evidence and nothing to do with the subject. And not even the decency for the CEO to put his name to it.

Pathetic indeed.

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

To cry poor is just laughable. The last paragraph providing no evidence and nothing to do with the subject. And not even the decency for the CEO to put his name to it.

Pathetic indeed.

CFG spent 139.5 million pounds on player transfers for Man City this season (after income from transfers out they were only down around 20.4 mil, but still....). How much is this GF deal worth to the club?  

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

The statement pretty much reads suck it up we don’t care 

no member forum will repair this 

They're fukn unreal. Sticking up for the players when it was the club who, using the goodwill of the reception given to them when presented during the Sydney game, trotted them out in front of the media yesterday to take all the heat.

How fukn cowardly and pathetic. Then have the cheek to make it look like they're looking after them. Wow.

3 minutes ago, Cityamatic said:

CFG spent 139.5 million pounds on player transfers for Man City this season (after income from transfers out they were only down around 20.4 mil, but still....). How much is this GF deal worth to the club?  

..plus crying poor when they would have been the only club here capable of building what they did at Casey and moving out there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cityamatic said:

And that's just transfers. Salaries for the senior roster plus one player out on loan...180 million GBP. https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-city-fc/payroll/

3 minutes ago, rass said:

They're fukn unreal. Sticking up for the players when it was the club who, using the goodwill of the reception given to them when presented during the Sydney game, trotted them out in front of the media yesterday to take all the heat.

How fukn cowardly and pathetic. Then have the cheek to make it look like they're looking after them. Wow.

..plus crying poor when they would have been the only club here capable of building what they did at Casey and moving out there.

...and abandoning the A$12m facility they built at Bundoora.

• Like 2

So five NSW clubs voted for the move - no surprises there given that only two are regional. With the Jets under APL ownership (AFAIK) that is not much of a say. That leaves Brisbane, City and WPX as the Judas of the lot. But what I don't get, is how will City benefit from this? Certainly not on the field as the support base is here in Melbourne. Financially? Presumably this could mean that the cost of participating in the A-League would decrease but that is not a guarantee - not by a long shot. Imagine a Sydney FC vs WSW GF, would they pack teh stadium? contrast that with a MCY vs MV GF? Even Adelaide is able to fill Coopers for the finals. To me it does not make financial sense.

Finally, reading in Fairfax papers someone wrote that not only did the NSW taxpayer have to fork out heaps of money for the new stadium because it was needed but now the taxpayer is forking out money to attract tenants.