Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

38 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Melbourne City spokesman comments in ESPN article says it all we voted yes 

8F15FB64-CAD1-41E1-A886-040CE950B4E5.jpeg

What a fucking disgrace.

Was going to the derby on Saturday but I'm completely done with the club and the a league after this. This is what happens when you have international owners who only give a shit about making money and nothing else

Edited by kingofhearts

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

What a fucking disgrace.

Was going to the derby on Saturday but I'm completely done with the club and the a league after this. This is what happens when you have international owners who only give a shit about making money and nothing else

An alternative is to continue on with a regular season membership at either the southern or northern end (i.e. the cheaper options), or, as a couple of our gang have already done, take the 9-match option, and then to simply ignore the "finals series" altogether and put the money you would have spent there into next season's league membership. After all, the "Championship" no longer leads to the Asian Champions League.

This approach allows you to still enjoy A-League football, getting together with your mates etc. etc., enjoy the ACL if we get there again and have home matches, and selectively boycott the part of the season that sends money direct to APL.

Edited by jw1739

35 minutes ago, haz said:

Non answers from Leckie and Tilio

Weak as piss. Also don't care about the fans. Leckie in particular gone right down in my estimation. Does nothing to encourage me to continue supporting the club.

Edited by jw1739

6 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I understand how lecks and tilio have responded tbh, I would imagine all this would be a massive distraction to the players and honestly I prefer that they are focusing on the on field things only right now, especially it being a derby

Don’t care about the derby tbh care more about how the fans have treated the fans 

5 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I understand how lecks and tilio have responded tbh, I would imagine all this would be a massive distraction to the players and honestly I prefer that they are focusing on the on field things only right now, especially it being a derby

Oh come on. It's just burying their heads in the sand. UAE sand. Exactly the opposite to the way, say, EPL clubs and players get engaged with their local communities.

You can answer the questions and show interest in and understanding of fans' views without actually expressing support, and FFS at least show some interest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

How come there wasn’t an open tender if this supposedly was all about financial stability of the league?

I don't buy this "financial need" bit either. 12 months ago APL received $140m for the sale of a stake in it from Silver Lake. All APL does is run a pissy little men's league of 12 clubs and an even pissier little women's league. Possibly the nearly defunct Youth League, and apparently an e-league which I thought died years ago. Nothing else. I find it difficult to believe that it needs another $26m right now from the NSW Government. Where the hell does all this money go other than in a bloated administration of four-fifths of five-eighths of fuck all? What benefit has APL brought to the game so far?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, haz said:

Non answers from Leckie and Tilio

Reporter made a good point about the fed square crowds for the Socceroos.

Sydney only bothered opening up darling harbour to the public once we reached the round of 16. Like usual, only jumped on it once we achieved success.

Meanwhile in Melbourne, Fed Square was going off from the very first group match against France.

It's a classic example of what will happen to the GF now, but the 'powers that be' couldn't give a flying fuck about that, us the fans, or anyone who has played any form of football in this country.

What a sad, sad week.

• Like 1

I'm conflicted on what to do from here. 

After supporting this club for 10+ years I treated myself and my fiance (her first membership) to City Class memberships. 

I'm fucking pissed with this decision, but now what? 

Can I even cancel the membership and not pay the remaining money? 

Do I turn up each game still, but leave before half time? 

Or do I attend regular season games but not attend a single finals game? 

7 minutes ago, haz said:

I'm conflicted on what to do from here. 

After supporting this club for 10+ years I treated myself and my fiance (her first membership) to City Class memberships. 

I'm fucking pissed with this decision, but now what? 

Can I even cancel the membership and not pay the remaining money? 

Do I turn up each game still, but leave before half time? 

Or do I attend regular season games but not attend a single finals game? 

I think we're all in the same boat.

Given that the "finals series" doesn't lead anywhere in terms of the AFC, and those matches aren't covered by a membership, I think boycotting those matches is the starting point. And although I don't buy much anyway I won't buy any further merchandise either. I also don't think fans should sing "club songs" or anything like that.

In summary, support the football, but nothing else.

Like so many people I've had a tough last few years and personally I'm shattered by this. Just when football and City were something I felt I could lean on, we have been betrayed.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think we're all in the same boat.

Given that the "finals series" doesn't lead anywhere in terms of the AFC, and those matches aren't covered by a membership, I think boycotting those matches is the starting point. And although I don't buy much anyway I won't buy any further merchandise either. I also don't think fans should sing "club songs" or anything like that.

In summary, support the football, but nothing else.

Like so many people I've had a tough last few years and personally I'm shattered by this. Just when football and City were something I felt I could lean on, we have been betrayed.

I think this is fair enough. I wouldn’t be surprised if we average 4K moving forward it’s now the rusted on rusted ons attending 

Sadly I think this could be the last straw for many.

Not hearing anything from the club is extremely dissapointing and will be remembered for a long time. 

I've never been in favour of finals, even more so now.

I'll still attend, renew but I really fear for the game and my club. I honestly can't see any way back from this for us a club, and for the League in general. 

Sad sad day.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 2

This is heartbreaking and screams incompetence (or arrogance honestly) on all fronts. 

This league and this club make it so fucking hard sometimes. The timing is extraordinarily appalling too.

Absolutely gutted but it's good to know we fans have just been customers all along. This club can go and get fucked.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, citypool said:

I think this is fair enough. I wouldn’t be surprised if we average 4K moving forward it’s now the rusted on rusted ons attending 

No idea what will be left. The real hard core rusted on are the people who've hung on since the Heart days, and coped with the change of name and colours, and being owned by sportswashing bastards. I suspect it's now many of them (us) for whom this is the final straw. I'm no longer going to attend and one other of our group is similar. But it's split our group of mates down the middle in an epic online conversation last night about how to respond to this. Heartbroken because this has been so much part of my life, and a real part of feeling I belong since we rocked up from the UK just over 11 years ago. I fear this has wrecked the A League. Just hate my own club right now for what they stand for, and it hurts to watch the other two clubs in Melbourne acting far more on principle. Honestly can see myself walking away from City, waiting until WU have a ground in Tarneit and then going to watch my football there. Won't be the same, but living most of the way to Geelong it makes some sense. Utterly disgusted with City, they have nothing to redeem themselves in my eyes.

• Like 6

pretty damn obvious we are more complicit in this than we are admitting.

My gut feel is we were a key driver in this and as a club have no feel for the grass roots feel for the game. Its dogs balls guys.

To be the only club to not speak up, for our players to speak as they did and for those comments in the ESPN article...yeah, this club has to be boycotted.

Supporting City is now supporting the APL and directly the GF decision in my mind, and not sure anyone with two eyes can see it any other way.

I will no longer attend a city game regardless of what happens from here. I will read the spin we put on this when our 'statement' finally gets released.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

No idea what will be left. The real hard core rusted on are the people who've hung on since the Heart days, and coped with the change of name and colours, and being owned by sportswashing bastards. I suspect it's now many of them (us) for whom this is the final straw. I'm no longer going to attend and one other of our group is similar. But it's split our group of mates down the middle in an epic online conversation last night about how to respond to this. Heartbroken because this has been so much part of my life, and a real part of feeling I belong since we rocked up from the UK just over 11 years ago. I fear this has wrecked the A League. Just hate my own club right now for what they stand for, and it hurts to watch the other two clubs in Melbourne acting far more on principle. Honestly can see myself walking away from City, waiting until WU have a ground in Tarneit and then going to watch my football there. Won't be the same, but living most of the way to Geelong it makes some sense. Utterly disgusted with City, they have nothing to redeem themselves in my eyes.

Well said Fen, I’ve come to the same conclusion. I’m Melbourne Heart, live in the west as well. You forgot to add the move to the Eastern Suburbs and imminent talks about building a stadium there. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, haz said:

Anyone know the chances of being able to cancel their membership and not paying the remaining money owed?

I suspect that what's in the "fine print" will say that you have to pay. Step one appears to be to cancel the auto-renewal if you have that in place. 

Edited by jw1739