Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@kingofhearts Looked a little bit suspicious, didn't it? Nothing but positives about Tratkavenco and Sydney, nothing but negatives about City. No attempt to look for anything positive about our club at all. Nothing about our Academy, players who have made the Olyroos or the Socceroos. No mention of "City in the Community."

Being an associate of that very nice Vladimir Putin is a strong positive🤪

• Haha 1

The only difference between the human rights records of Russia and the UAE is that the Russians aren't daft enough to allow film of their torture sessions to get onto the internet... They both crush and persecute opposition, neither has a free press, they both carry out torture, rendition and extra judicial killing, they both persecute sexual minorities. But being a close associate of Putin is cool, whereas being a member of an Emirati royal family is definitely not. And that's before we start on Brisbane's owners, or the invisible owners of Adelaide. None of it's particularly pretty or desirable, but definitely an element of "get City" within the wider "get sokkah" approach. What I'd really have appreciated was some practical solutions. Oh, and painting UEFA as the white knight? Which planet are they on? Both FIFA and UEFA have serious questions to answer about graft and corruption....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

The only difference between the human rights records of Russia and the UAE is that the Russians aren't daft enough to allow film of their torture sessions to get onto the internet... They both crush and persecute opposition, neither has a free press, they both carry out torture, rendition and extra judicial killing, they both persecute sexual minorities. But being a close associate of Putin is cool, whereas being a member of an Emirati royal family is definitely not. And that's before we start on Brisbane's owners, or the invisible owners of Adelaide. None of it's particularly pretty or desirable, but definitely an element of "get City" within the wider "get sokkah" approach. What I'd really have appreciated was some practical solutions. Oh, and painting UEFA as the white knight? Which planet are they on? Both FIFA and UEFA have serious questions to answer about graft and corruption....

Not even a mention of our mate Tony sage who almost sold his club off to some dodgy cryptocurrency dealer....

• Like 1

I think the thing is a lot of us are football supporters who also support teams overseas so we're used to the concept of team ownership - this isn't a universal model for all sports, particularly Australian ones where it's very rare to have a team actually owned by someone without it being directly tied to the league.

P.S - I appreciate that in our case, we both have a foreign owner and could have our license yoinked by the league when they wanted too.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I would have thought a clear conflict of interest. But no more of a conflict than in the past when FFA took ownerships of A-League clubs (Brisbane, Newcastle) when their finances collapsed.

Football is just becoming a circus: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/oct/23/solskjr-the-perfect-frontman-for-uniteds-era-of-endless-new-dawns?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

On 24/10/2021 at 11:14 AM, Mr MO said:

Private equity typically only invest for the short to medium term and tend to have high internal rate of return hurdles. I have to say I’m surprised they would do this.

The A League has lurched from one challenge to the next since it started with lots of false dawns. Hopefully this cash injection will “take the game to the next level” but I’ll hold off buying the champagne myself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Dangerous game played by foreigners. So of course it's suspect. It's the Australian way.

Of course, statistics show that it is by far the biggest participating sport in the country, surely fraud! 

Then these foreign investment making this sport more popular and attractive, something smells!

Our council lawnmower can only do ovals, this madness must be stopped!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

FIFA needs to step in. My absolute maximum would be one club per confederation, but even then IMO that's allowing too many clubs to be owned under one umbrella.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

FIFA needs to step in. My absolute maximum would be one club per confederation, but even then IMO that's allowing too many clubs to be owned under one umbrella.

Agree, football clubs end up like international franchised chains just like Maccas or Starbucks, all selling the same product

Edited by belaguttman

I watched the Man City game this morning, massive game in terms of points lost and they are handing the title to Liverpool.

Guess what, must win game, team out of steam at 70minutes and NO substitutions!!!!

Think of it what you want.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Any rumours regarding Man City visiting our shores? I hope they would play us not Visitors. 

HaHa. Last time they played was on the Gold Coast. It's all up to the promoter(s) who sponsor(s) s a tour although you'd think CFG could possibly find the dosh to sponsor it's own tour...

Edited by jw1739

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

HaHa. Last time they played was on the Gold Coast. It's all up to the promoter(s) who sponsor(s) s a tour although you'd think CFG could possibly find the dosh to sponsor it's own tour...

It’s not like we own an airline or something.

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

It’s not like we own an airline or something.

Yeah, it's a joke really, isn't it? IMO it's the same with a stadium. Having the cheek to expect someone else to contribute to building one when you could do it yourself and not notice a dent in your bank balance.

18 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, we played one match against Man City - in the Gold Coast!

Robina Stadium, 15th July 2015. Nasri scored the only goal in the 86th minute to give the EPL club the win.

We had a really poor team that day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=manchester+city+vs+melbourne+city&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU881AU881&oq=manchester+city+vs+melbourne+city&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l2j0i390l3.7397j1j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=m;/g/11f5m873ll;2;/g/11b6xyz746;ln;fp;1;;

• 4 weeks later...