Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

On 11/03/2021 at 5:52 PM, CityBoyz said:

The whole club doesnt move there until start of next season with the full development to be finished by end of next season 

The Academy was supposed to be there last month.

"The Club’s Academy will move to the already constructed ‘Stage One’ community and academy facilities in February 2021. The four full-sized floodlit pitches and single-story building are available for immediate use, and will be the centre of the Club's academy, schools and community work as well as the City of Casey's grassroots football and community programs. The remaining ‘Stage Two’ facilities will be completed by early 2022 when Melbourne City will take full occupation of the site, following interim occupation in August 2021."

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/melbourne-city-fc-create-new-etihad-city-football-academy-australia-south-east-melbourne

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Baka1 said:

Odds of “Retro Round” being the next derby? Red V Blue

46 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

If only

IMO it should always be the Christmas Derby (if we ever have another one), and in the event that we don't it should be the first home derby each season.

Other than a home match against Central Coast, for me a random selection of fixture each season has far less significance.

Above all though, IMO the best outcome of all would be to have a red, white and blue home kit.

What we have now is so awful it's beyond words.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it should always be the Christmas Derby (if we ever have another one), and in the event that we don't it should be the first home derby each season.

Other than a home match against Central Coast, for me a random selection of fixture each season has far less significance.

Above all though, IMO the best outcome of all would be to have a red, white and blue home kit.

What we have now is so awful it's beyond words.

I still think our kit looks much better with white shorts, just like Manchester unfortunately.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hanz said:

Agreed

I don’t know why CFG is pushing for all sky blue when their flagship club doesn’t have it either. Mumbai and Montevideo City are also all playing in complete blue pyjamas. I would love to ask a club offical this one day. As at one stage in the Fornaroli days we played in white shorts. More city blue exposure perhaps?

I had to go to Cranbourne yesterday. Even though I live in the south-east, going to Cranbourne is much like going to the moon - it's a bloody wasteland like Point Cook. And every second person seems to be from the sub-continent. I'm wondering whether this move to Casey has really been thought through? For example, one of the benefits of being at LaTrobe is the liaison with the Sports Medicine activity there, and the opportunity for some of our young players to attend University to assist with their lives outside and after football. I can't see this being enabled down at Casey. It's bad enough to get to Bundoora, a nightmare to get down to Casey - not easy for senior players to et to training every day.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I had to go to Cranbourne yesterday. Even though I live in the south-east, going to Cranbourne is much like going to the moon - it's a bloody wasteland like Point Cook. And every second person seems to be from the sub-continent. I'm wondering whether this move to Casey has really been thought through? For example, one of the benefits of being at LaTrobe is the liaison with the Sports Medicine activity there, and the opportunity for some of our young players to attend University to assist with their lives outside and after football. I can't see this being enabled down at Casey. It's bad enough to get to Bundoora, a nightmare to get down to Casey - not easy for senior players to et to training every day.

But but but Casey is the centre of the universe. 
If we move there the club will no longer make an errors at all and fans will flock to our banner, drawn by its mere unfurling.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Excuse me, but which football player go to university. That's a missing link to me.

I believe that Daniel Arzani was one. I don't know the names of others, but IIRC there definitely have been in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Harrison said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUMMjnzphQ8/

Nice of our owners to take an interest in the local sport. Bit weird though.

I require convincing that it isn't a mistake and they think it's us...

Also I've had a heads-up that CFG will feature in ABC Four Corners next Monday evening - an investigation into the foreign ownership of A-League clubs - of City, Brisbane and Sydney, and the faceless owners of Adelaide.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I require convincing that it isn't a mistake and they think it's us...

Also I've had a heads-up that CFG will feature in ABC Four Corners next Monday evening - an investigation into the foreign ownership of A-League clubs - of City, Brisbane and Sydney, and the faceless owners of Adelaide.

Bit of a non-story for us surely? We know who owns us, and that ultimately they are not very nice people. It's hardly a secret. Feels like another anti-sokkah dog whistle racism beat up....

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/a-league-of-their-own/13554656

If you're after a bit more information on it. 

First para starts with what feels like a furphy, suggesting that City fans don't know who owns us, what they are like, or about being used for sportswashing. It also suggests fans of other clubs don't know. They clearly haven't read the trolling we get from Victory fans. We know, we don't like it, but neither can we do much about it. It's our club, we'll still be here for the next owner and the owner after that. This is the way of soccer all over the world, unfortunately. What may be news to us is who owns some of the other clubs.

48 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

First para starts with what feels like a furphy, suggesting that City fans don't know who owns us, what they are like, or about being used for sportswashing. It also suggests fans of other clubs don't know. They clearly haven't read the trolling we get from Victory fans. We know, we don't like it, but neither can we do much about it. It's our club, we'll still be here for the next owner and the owner after that. This is the way of soccer all over the world, unfortunately. What may be news to us is who owns some of the other clubs.

Well Sydney is owned by Russians, Brisbane Roar Indonesia and Adelaide who knows 

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I'm not so sure that a lot of people actually pay a lot of attention to any of the owners of "our" club - whether it be the royal family of the emirate of Abu Dhabi, the US company Silver Lake, or the two Chinese companies China Media Capital and Citic Capital. And I doubt that many could tell you the names of Melbourne City's four directors. No doubt "4 Corners" will have some interesting comments on one or two of the latter.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not so sure that a lot of people actually pay a lot of attention to any of the owners of "our" club - whether it be the royal family of the emirate of Abu Dhabi, the US company Silver Lake, or the two Chinese companies China Media Capital and Citic Capital. And I doubt that many could tell you the names of Melbourne City's four directors. No doubt "4 Corners" will have some interesting comments on one or two of the latter.

Well there you go. I thought we were just owned by the Emirates...

43 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Well there you go. I thought we were just owned by the Emirates...

@fensaddlerIt's "modern football" alright, but TBH I find it all intimidating and frightening.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Media_Capital
http://www.citiccapital.com/SitePages/home-eng.aspx
https://www.silverlake.com/?v=2

Just looking at the precis on my phone...doesn't look to be anything startlingly new. Bonita Mersiades getting her two-pennyworth again as expected, Simon Pearce and sportswashing, unspecified "human rights abuses" in the UAE, some guy in the Bakrie Group doing time for an offence...da di da di da.

Don't really know why A-League is being picked on. Open enough skeletons in the business world and you're sure to find a skeleton somewhere.

It would be nice to have squeaky clean owners, but I'm less concerned about that than (as has already been mentioned) the intrusion of encouragement to gamble into every facet of sport these days. Gambling is an addiction that destroys so many people.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just looking at the precis on my phone...doesn't look to be anything startlingly new. Bonita Mersiades getting her two-pennyworth again as expected, Simon Pearce and sportswashing, unspecified "human rights abuses" in the UAE, some guy in the Bakrie Group doing time for an offence...da di da di da.

Don't really know why A-League is being picked on. Open enough skeletons in the business world and you're sure to find a skeleton somewhere.

It would be nice to have squeaky clean owners, but I'm less concerned about that than (as has already been mentioned) the intrusion of encouragement to gamble into every facet of sport these days. Gambling is an addiction that destroys so many people.

I'm hoping the talking heads on the program actually offer some practical solutions beyond 'don't support your team' or 'don't support soccer'. Those of us whose clubs have been acquired by the dubious don't really have anywhere to go. It's not as if City fans are going to switch to Victory...

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I'm hoping the talking heads on the program actually offer some practical solutions beyond 'don't support your team' or 'don't support soccer'. Those of us whose clubs have been acquired by the dubious don't really have anywhere to go. It's not as if City fans are going to switch to Victory...

This is my feeling as well. We ran over this when CFG acquired us. I think I speak for most when I say we are all conflicted. We would love for the UAE to change their ways and be more accepting of women and minorities, we'd love for their migrant workers to be treated and paid fairly. The reality is we had no say in whether the club was sold and who it was sold to, and even though many things have changed, it's still our club and we won't just walk away (some did and that's their choice).

But what are we supposed to do? Draw up a petition? Cool. That'll definitely work.

17 minutes ago, Harrison said:

This is my feeling as well. We ran over this when CFG acquired us. I think I speak for most when I say we are all conflicted. We would love for the UAE to change their ways and be more accepting of women and minorities, we'd love for their migrant workers to be treated and paid fairly. The reality is we had no say in whether the club was sold and who it was sold to, and even though many things have changed, it's still our club and we won't just walk away (some did and that's their choice).

But what are we supposed to do? Draw up a petition? Cool. That'll definitely work.

An ironic thing about the complaints about human rights (especially in relation to women) is that CFG are probably up there as having done the most for the Women's game in Australia than any other entity.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, malloy said:

An ironic thing about the complaints about human rights (especially in relation to women) is that CFG are probably up there as having done the most for the Women's game in Australia than any other entity.

IMO when we, as a country, judge other cultures we have to be careful not to judge solely on the basis of assumptions, both of their values and of ours. We're often quick to judge others without realising that our own backyard can be fairly dirty in places.

Well, that was 45 minutes wasted.
Scott Jamieson thanking the owner of the club - who else was he supposed to thank first, the cleaner?
One (albeit shocking) example of a human rights abuse in the UAE, with no other specifics being raised by Amnesty.
Bonita repeating herself time after time - "We need more accountability and transparency because we need more accountability and transparency..."
No evidence whatsoever against David Tratkavenko. Griffin complaining about more transparency when he was the one who sold Adelaide.
One dodgy Indonesian.

No-one actually directly involved with an A-League club known to be doing anything wrong at all, and the one conviction by UEFA against Pearce and Manchester City overturned on appeal.

Pretty thin evidence IMO.

• Like 4

On 03/04/2017 at 5:57 PM, GreenSeater said:

How to support Melbourne City, a calendar guide:

OCTOBER: "Wow we've started the season really well. The way we played in the first game was really impressive, and we won the derby! This really feels like our year."

NOVEMBER: "Things are still looking up! Yeah we've dropped a few points against teams we should have beaten, but the squad looks like it's beginning to gel nicely. Once we get *insert visa player here* back from injury we'll be unstoppable!"

DECEMBER: "Gee we're starting to look shaky here. The club need to spend big in January. Hopefully we can bring in some injury replacements for *insert visa player here* and *insert squaddie here*. We're falling a bit off the pace now, and the Christmas derby will probably be the defining moment of our season. If we win it we'll get some momentum for the second half of the season!"

JANUARY: "I can't believe we haven't brought in any injury replacements for *insert visa player here* and *instert squaddie here*. If CFG are serious about us getting anything from this season they need to start investing in the squad. I was pretty disappointed to see *insert promising youth player on the fringe of the squad* get sold. He looked like he had potential. Ah well we still have plenty of depth to cover him."

FEBRUARY: "Oh for fucks sake! I can't believe *insert visa player here* is still out for a Germano! We really needed to get an injury replacement in January. And now that *insert decent Aussie player here* and *insert squaddie here* are out we're going to be absolutely screwed at *insert key position here*. If only we'd never sold *insert promising youth player on the fringe of the squad* we wouldn't have to rely on playing kids there! We haven't won a game in ages and it's disgraceful that *insert any player here* said he thinks we're doing okay! We're a joke and *insert terrible manager* is doing nothing to fix it."

MARCH: "THAT IS IT! THAT IS THE FINAL FUCKING STRAW! I have given my heart and soul for this club! And after all those long years of supporting a franchise I still can't believe CFG have taken over and turned my belived franchise into nothing but a plastic franchise! If *insert visa player here* hasn't recovered from his calf strain within the next few weeks this season is over. I am so sick of this shit. Bring on the offseason."

APRIL: "Well there it is. Another summer of my life down the fucking tube watching this group of no-hopers walk around not caring about the fans and accepting mediocrity. I'm out. Officially out. I know I said that last year but I've finally hit my limit. I can't do this any more. I can't believe we've lost another semi-final. Now we have to watch *insert club with annoying supporters* lift another bloody trophy. Why can't CFG make us more like that? The unwavering passion of us desicated fans should be enough reason for them to invest millions and millions of dollars into a little club at the arse end of the world. On that note did I mention I wont be renewing my membership next year?"

MAY: "Well it's about time the club finally got rid of *insert squaddie here*. It's a shame that *insert visa player here* still has another 17 years left on his contract. Why do we always sign players over the age of 30? Next season I hope CFG invest in a good young batch of visa players at their prime. I want us to pry a young tallented kid away from his future of earning millions playing in the best leagues in Europe and bring him over here to play in front of us dedicated 5000 fans in the heat of the Australian summer for a small enough wage to fit into the salary cap. Somebody who could be our Thomas Broich except much better. Also I'm expecting an announcement about our new manager any day now."

JUNE: "What are CFG thinking?! Why on earth have they re-signed *insert shit manager here* for another two seasons?? Can't they see he's useless. This club shows no ambition. I'm out. Not getting a new membership."

JULY: "Why on earth have we signed *decent ALeague player on minimum wage*?!? We should be targeting payers like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for our bench! This club is so happy with mediocraty it's disgusting. I AM OUT"

AUGUST: "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHIT! Have you seen the prices for memberships this year?!? How can they justify an increase in price after how terrible last season was?!? I remember when this club used to care about the fans and listen to our input. This really is the final straw for me. I am out for good."

SEPTEMBER: "Our squad is coming together really nicely on paper. This is probably the best squad we've ever had. Surely even *insert shit manager here* has to win the league with this team. After going to the FFA Cup game last week and seeing us demolish *insert state league 2 team here* has really made me excited for the new season. I've bitten the bullet and bought a membership, come on City!"

repeat until death

I still think that this is the Best Post of All Time.

Cheered me up no end again this morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well, that was 45 minutes wasted.
Scott Jamieson thanking the owner of the club - who else was he supposed to thank first, the cleaner?
One (albeit shocking) example of a human rights abuse in the UAE, with no other specifics being raised by Amnesty.
Bonita repeating herself time after time - "We need more accountability and transparency because we need more accountability and transparency..."
No evidence whatsoever against David Tratkavenko. Griffin complaining about more transparency when he was the one who sold Adelaide.
One dodgy Indonesian.

No-one actually directly involved with an A-League club known to be doing anything wrong at all, and the one conviction by UEFA against Pearce and Manchester City overturned on appeal.

Pretty thin evidence IMO.

Finally we're successful and everyone wants to bitch about it. No one was complaining when we were shit about the takeover....

Did Sydney FC put them up to this? #staywoke 😢

Edited by kingofhearts

By far the best contributions were from the fans. Needed saying that many City fans were, and remain, conflicted by the takeover. But as others have said, where was all this concern six years ago? When we weren't successful? In the end, without understating the unpleasant aspects of our owners, this is just another beat up on sokkah from those who are ultimately scared that the world game is making progress in Australia.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Finally we're successful and everyone wants to bitch about it. No one was complaining when we were shit about the takeover....

Did Sydney FC put them up to this? #staywoke 😢

@kingofhearts Looked a little bit suspicious, didn't it? Nothing but positives about Tratkavenco and Sydney, nothing but negatives about City. No attempt to look for anything positive about our club at all. Nothing about our Academy, players who have made the Olyroos or the Socceroos. No mention of "City in the Community."

53 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

By far the best contributions were from the fans. Needed saying that many City fans were, and remain, conflicted by the takeover. But as others have said, where was all this concern six years ago? When we weren't successful? In the end, without understating the unpleasant aspects of our owners, this is just another beat up on sokkah from those who are ultimately scared that the world game is making progress in Australia.

That just about sums up my thoughts too.