Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

10 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

DFG.  Dandenong Football Group.  If they can get 20k new members then they won't be worried about losing old ones. However, outside catchment didn't magically work for WU.

Western side isn’t as well established as the east in terms of football DNA, different demographics as well.

15 minutes ago, Dezy94 said:

It seems frankly ridiculous to build a 15 million dollar, top notch facility in Bundoora, only to pull up sticks and move to Casey barely five years later. However if what the club says about the majority of our members coming from the south east is true then I suppose its a justifiable decision, given the region is growing in population. 

So long as the men's team continue to play home games at AAMI our fan base shouldn't shrink. The big question for me: is this news the harbinger of building a boutique stadium in Dandenong in a few years, that will become the home stadium of all our teams? And would that diminish or grow our support base?

Seen a rumour that the new Home for the Matildas will be at Bundoora, perhaps they take over the facility’s.

In all fairness the Bundoora site is too small to host all men’s, women’s and youth teams.

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Terrible. One of the last Heart links has gone. Fucking Matt Windley, I knew he was dodgy 🤣

This thread is just going to turn into supporters who already live in the South East trying to defend the decision.

Haha, I live in the west, Heart supported but support the clubs growth! Keeping Windley involved would be smart.

Edited by Mr MO

Just now, Mr MO said:

Seen a rumour that the new Home for the Matildas will be at Bundoora, perhaps they take over the facility’s.

In all fairness the Bundoora site is too small to host all men’s, women’s and youth teams.

lol no its not. Just go walk toward the west and youll see a vast expanse of space. In fact they already use the pitches that are already there.

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes I've heard the same thing about the Matildas. Hasn't the Vic Govt bid for a Matildas specific facility? I suppose they don't have to build anything now, as by 2022 there will be a world class facility just sitting dormant in Bundoora. Its not too small at all though, frankly only the Wanderers facility competes with ours, and all the other clubs manage to have men's, women's and NPL teams operating out of smaller facilities. 

12 minutes ago, Dylan said:

lol no its not. Just go walk toward the west and youll see a vast expanse of space. In fact they already use the pitches that are already there.

I don’t think you have any idea what a full blown academy looks like with dozens of teams for youth, NPL, women’s and HQ - in line with the CFG ambition. The current building cannot accomodate this, there might be other plans with the University fields you are talking. Just thinking out loud here.

The plans is play the matches at the ground as well, now we are scattered all over the city for match space for the teams.

Edited by Mr MO

At the very least, can this out to bed the idea that CFG are planning on giving up on Australian Football. People chuck that line out all the time with no evidence to back it up. CFG are here to stay.

I’m for this move, it capitalises on a massively untapped market and shows that the club are looking for sustainable growth, giving away 1000 memberships a year doesn’t do much, we’ve seen that time and time again.

However, I don’t want to leave AAMI park, but like every article has highlighted, we aren’t leaving AAMI park

• Like 4

My take - its not that big a deal once you see the details.

Heading down there will have almost zero impact on me as a fan based in Ballarat, and i think for the vast majority of fans. The only people it negatively impacts are those that lived near bundoora and semi-regularly attended training or cfg for whatever reason

It will prob be good for anyone that lives in the south east, which is probably home to a greater concentration of families and target markets than the north ever was and you might actually get sole additional buy in from people out east having access
Any toes in the water with respect to playing senior games out there probably wont be well received until the scare factor wears off a bit, and it might take 5 years to get that point but it seems pretty clear to me that there is no intention to move matchday out there in the short to medium term future.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, malloy said:

Seems like they are more interested in investing in player farms than the club/team. Though many did all expect this when the takeover occurred.

That's the role A-League clubs should play though - they should be first and foremost a farm system for young Australian talent. 

4000 capacity mini stadium likely a bit like Morshead Park in Ballarat. Means the men's team will stay at AAMI but likely women and youth will play a lot down at Casey. Main impact likely then for regular spectators of the women's and youth sides but not the A League side. Like BT, this seems OK for most of us, even those in the west, north and regional areas. 

• Like 1

Wow, didn't anticipate Dandenong, always thought it would be Bundoora, I wonder if the strength of the failed Dandenong bid played into this decision and whether they will partner in some capacity with those stakeholders? Really didn't see this one coming, I figure the club have finally realised they need a strong geographic representation and this is it.

Financially we will have already written down, or perhaps even written off, the CFG investment in Bundoora. I think it's a good move, and the main reason I think that is that the local councils actually want us to be there. It happens to bring the women's and youth teams much more accessible for me, which is a bonus, but the A-League will continue at AAMI which really can't impact the A-League fans negatively.

IIRC many people have always said that the trouble with City and Victory is that there is no geographical divide. Well, now there is, or will be, and for me that's also a big plus for the future of the club.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/melbourne-city-fc-create-new-etihad-city-football-academy-australia-south-east-melbourne

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 4

Me *just moved to Preston from South East*: great, I'll be able to cycle to watch the W-League and NPL
City: hold my beer

Strategically I think it makes sense, I don't think a massive stadium will be built and our games be moved out there - however, I can see us building a 10k boutique stadium for FFA Cup and smaller games that would be shared with local NPL clubs.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, haz said:

If the club does end up playing in Dandenong, it'll be difficult for me to continue (actively) supporting them.

For those familiar with the area, what's the travel time from the city?

My nearest station is Merinda Park, which is the second last stop on the Cranbourne line. It takes around 40 minutes between Richmond and Dandenong (and a further 15ish if you go to the end of the line)

that said Casey fields 5 km from Cranbourne Station (AAMI Park is 400m from Richmond Station FWIW) 

If you drive, Dandenong is 25 - 30 min from the Burnley tunnel. Cranbourne is about 35 - 40

In terms of the new training base, I'm don't really care one way or the other. Big thing for me is that the move helps the club develop. I'm a little surprised given recent investment in Bundoora, but I'm sure the club's got its reasons 

Personally, I always found the Bundoora training base out of the way - I can't remember actually going there because I largely cbf'd. 

As such, I think it doesn't matter where the training base is - some fans benefit and others lose out. 

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JW brings up an important point: with significant local council support we can embark on a proper expansion of the A League. Councils can provide land, maintain facilities, promote community resources and partner with sports bodies to access state and federal funding, this has been severely lacking in any strategic planning demonstrated at FFA level.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, kiko said:

Wow, didn't anticipate Dandenong, always thought it would be Bundoora, I wonder if the strength of the failed Dandenong bid played into this decision and whether they will partner in some capacity with those stakeholders? Really didn't see this one coming, I figure the club have finally realised they need a strong geographic representation and this is it.

We got poached by the council and failed Team11 bid to move there. So you are correct it seems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

One additional comment at this point. How on earth does City keep this stuff quiet? AFAIK the rumour broke only yesterday, and yet today it's a done deal with a video, statements from councils and our CEO. They used to say in wartime "loose lips sink ships" - City would never have lost even a rowing boat..

Allegedly parties have been discussing this from 6 months after the Team11 bid failed.

• Like 1

If the club is serious about having a geographical region to call home (ala Western Sydney Wanderers), then training in Casey and playing women's matches in Dandenong won't do it. Ultimately where the men's team plays its home games week in week out will be what matters. 

The club has to decide what it wants to be. Play home games in the city and collect a smattering of fans from across metro Melbourne? Or bite the bullet and move to a purpose built boutique stadium next to Dandenong Station and build a fan base out of a growing region of SE Melbourne, which risks permanently losing the support of many existing fans who live in the North and West?

5 minutes ago, Dezy94 said:

The club has to decide what it wants to be. Play home games in the city and collect a smattering of fans from across metro Melbourne? Or bite the bullet and move to a purpose built boutique stadium next to Dandenong Station and build a fan base out of a growing region of SE Melbourne, which risks permanently losing the support of many existing fans who live in the North and West?

I reckon we keep playing out of AAMI for the foreseeable future, but be prepared for many many surveys about how you would feel about a move to Dandenong. We'll also probably move all Women's, Youth and even Cup games to Dandenong or Cranbourne and if they go well then we could see Mens games beginning to shift that way too.

If we were to build a stadium in the SE, I hope we'd do it in Dandenong and not Cranbourne. Cranbourne is tough to get to but Dandenong is okay. 

52 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

One additional comment at this point. How on earth does City keep this stuff quiet? AFAIK the rumour broke only yesterday, and yet today it's a done deal with a video, statements from councils and our CEO. They used to say in wartime "loose lips sink ships" - City would never have lost even a rowing boat..

Unfortunately the lack of loose lips at times includes information that would keep us fans engaged!

(well I’ll never go to training again, but given I seem to do this once every 3 years it’s hardly a show stopper for me, but I did like the thought that our club was local)

I don't get the in/out posts, (until we have the traditional poll).

But I only see it as an expansion move. 

Nothing has been officially announced of Stadium so matches will continue at AAMI. 

I couldn't see any mention of Bundoora and La trobe partnership being terminated so effectively we will still have some sort of presence at the existing facility but have the new campus at Casey.

We just need another 10 million dollar complex in the West and East in the next 10 to 20 years and then we will have completed the ring and leave no room for any competitors. 

The biggest tragedy our game has endured in the country/city that no major landmarks have been left, no historical bricks and mortar. 

As a club in just over a decade we would have had 2 world class facilities. 

It's only a positive IMO.

Fwiw I live 10/15 minutes from La trobe.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I don't get the in/out posts, (until we have the traditional poll).

But I only see it as an expansion move. 

Nothing has been officially announced of Stadium so matches will continue at AAMI. 

I couldn't see any mention of Bundoora and La trobe partnership being terminated so effectively we will still have some sort of presence at the existing facility but have the new campus at Casey.

We just need another 10 million dollar complex in the West and East in the next 10 to 20 years and then we will have completed the ring and leave no room for any competitors. 

The biggest tragedy our game has endured in the country/city that no major landmarks have been left, no historical bricks and mortar. 

As a club in just over a decade we would have had 2 world class facilities. 

It's only a positive IMO.

Fwiw I live 110/15 minutes from La trobe.

The Club has been located at La Trobe University (LTU) in Bundoora since its foundation in 2009 and moved into the original City Football Academy in 2014 following its acquisition by City Football Group. More than 30% of Melbourne City staff are graduates of the University, and City and LTU will continue their long-standing partnership, centred on the provision of student internships and collaboration on sport science and allied health services and research. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The Club has been located at La Trobe University (LTU) in Bundoora since its foundation in 2009 and moved into the original City Football Academy in 2014 following its acquisition by City Football Group. More than 30% of Melbourne City staff are graduates of the University, and City and LTU will continue their long-standing partnership, centred on the provision of student internships and collaboration on sport science and allied health services and research. 

So I see it as expansion as opposed to relocation 

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So I see it as expansion as opposed to relocation 

The club is calling it a relocation.

Melbourne City FC today announced its relocation to a brand-new elite sporting facility in South East Melbourne after signing a Heads of Agreement with the City of Casey and City of Greater Dandenong. 

For the people saying that Bundoora has plenty of room to field all our youth, NPL, seniors and womens for training and matches with full sized pitches. looking at the map again - I don’t see it.

Most of our affiliate teams don’t use Bundoora already due to lack of space.

I live in the west, want us to stay at Aami but it all makes sense.

I hope the Matildas inherit our facility.

DA2BC0AA-645A-4298-8273-78C6686EE7BB.jpeg

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I reckon we keep playing out of AAMI for the foreseeable future, but be prepared for many many surveys about how you would feel about a move to Dandenong. We'll also probably move all Women's, Youth and even Cup games to Dandenong or Cranbourne and if they go well then we could see Mens games beginning to shift that way too.

If we were to build a stadium in the SE, I hope we'd do it in Dandenong and not Cranbourne. Cranbourne is tough to get to but Dandenong is okay. 

Yep my feeling too. Reading the SMH/Age article about the move, it's clear the Team 11 and City of Dandenong people still harbour ambitions of a boutique 15k stadium in Dandenong. Will that end up being our future home? Interesting times ahead...

2 minutes ago, Dezy94 said:

Yep my feeling too. Reading the SMH/Age article about the move, it's clear the Team 11 and City of Dandenong people still harbour ambitions of a boutique 15k stadium in Dandenong. Will that end up being our future home? Interesting times ahead...

The Team11 site on the old Saleyards is very close to Dandenong Station.

17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

For the people saying that Bundoora has plenty of room to field all our youth, NPL, seniors and womens for training and matches with full sized pitches. looking at the map again - I don’t see it.

Most of our affiliate teams don’t use Bundoora already due to lack of space.

I live in the west, want us to stay at Aami but it all makes sense.

I hope the Matildas inherit our facility.

DA2BC0AA-645A-4298-8273-78C6686EE7BB.jpeg

I think we also use some pitches over near Plenty Road? There was talk of a LTU stadium there at one point too.