Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

That the premier of Victoria turned up to this 'soccer' event says something really positive about the impact we're making in this state. The connection with CFG and now the 2015 International Champions Cup in July is making a splash.

Napthine also attended football events (I was there), as did Kennett. Not sure on Bracks or Brumby. Basically business lunches are bread and butter to premiers/cabinet ministers. The trick is the ability to connect to the audience and a personal note is always a winner.

That the premier of Victoria turned up to this 'soccer' event says something really positive about the impact we're making in this state. The connection with CFG and now the 2015 International Champions Cup in July is making a splash.

Napthine also attended football events (I was there), as did Kennett. Not sure on Bracks or Brumby. Basically business lunches are bread and butter to premiers/cabinet ministers. The trick is the ability to connect to the audience and a personal note is always a winner.

Agree. And the scale of the CFG investment both in the purchase of the club and the multi-million dollar facility at La Trobe is at a level that signals serious intent about growing football in this state. The international connections that CFG bring would be be very welcome by pollies.

Kennett saw political advantage and votes when he redeveloped Lakeside for South Melbourne Hellas. I'd say the CFG investment goes beyond local politics IMO.

Remember that the Champions Cup in July was actually signed by the previous govt, but making it look like it was his work and building on that will be good for Dan.

CFG being a global organisation can open up many doors, but focusing on further Gulf investment would be very big business if it can achieve it through these pathways. The amount of capital the exists in Abu Dhabi alone is huge, especially with significant infrastructure projects required in this state.

As was said during the Asian Cup, our game is a huge vehicle for global business opportunities that can not be matched by any otther sport.

As for what else CFG can bring to the game for football specifically, one would think that they have a lot more plans for the Acay and further infrastructure, but as had been pointed out recently (I think it was by Crag Foster), the biggest benefit they could do is by providing free development opportunities for juniour players. This has apprently been done by them in Manchester, and it would make our club a far more attractive option. It would allow not just those that can pay to play but other talent that currently can not afford to do so a chance to develop.

Edited by Heart_fan
  • Like 1

Remember that the Champions Cup in July was actually signed by the previous govt, but making it look like it was his work and building on that will be good for Dan.

CFG being a global organisation can open up many doors, but focusing on further Gulf investment would be very big business if it can achieve it through these pathways. The amount of capital the exists in Abu Dhabi alone is huge, especially with significant infrastructure projects required in this state.

As was said during the Asian Cup, our game is a huge vehicle for global business opportunities that can not be matched by any otther sport.

As for what else CFG can bring to the game for football specifically, one would think that they have a lot more plans for the Acay and further infrastructure, but as had been pointed out recently (I think it was by Crag Foster), the biggest benefit they could do is by providing free development opportunities for juniour players. This has apprently been done by them in Manchester, and it would make our club a far more attractive option. It would allow not just those that can pay to play but other talent that currently can not afford to do so a chance to develop.

Good to see the top boss Ferran Soriano taking the time to have a detailed look at Melbourne City things, even the smaller things, such as the Melbourne City College of Football:

Today we welcomed City Football Group's CEO @ferransoriano to hear about the @MelbourneCity College of Football

ok91rc.jpg

https://twitter.com/JohnFawknerSC/status/586014601625542656

What a great experience to welcome @ferransoriano to @JohnFawknerSC to discuss the @MelbourneCity college of football

2807b5.jpg

https://twitter.com/Matthew_Napoli/status/586018237134999553

Revealed: The Melbourne City philosophy

By Iain Strachan

09/04/2015

FEATURE: Ferran Soriano has stated exactly what is expected from a CFG club. Now it's up to Melbourne City to live up to those lofty ideals

Melbourne City are moving up in the world.

Still the A-League's second youngest club after Western Sydney Wanderers, City shed the name Heart following the stunning takeover in January 2014 by the City Football Group (CFG), the Abu Dhabi-backed company controlling Premier League champions Manchester City, Major League Soccer newcomers New York City and Japan's Yokohama F Marinos.

Now 15 months on from that seismic event, an injection of capital and a slick cosmetic makeover has been followed by the opening of a new state-of-the-art training base, while the team is on track to qualify for the A-League finals.

On Wednesday, the club staged a business event at a high-price function facility on Southbank, one of the necessary trappings of a sports franchise that plans on going places.

The Socceroos' Asian Cup-winning coach Ange Postecoglou was a suitably impressive guest of honour, joined at the top table by former Australia internationals Josip Skoko and Mark Viduka.

Plenty of work remains to be done off the field in terms of commercial presence, but there's no denying the new-look Melbourne City are moving in the right direction.

On the field, there are some bigger names on show and an upward curve in terms of performance, albeit far more gradual than the outrageous pre-season predictions of title favouritism made be some hasty bookmakers.

Crowds remain disappointing. Consistent success is likely to be the only remedy. In the meantime, when City's modest band of supporters arrive to watch their team - win, lose or draw - what should they be looking for?

According to Soriano, the City Group have clear, unequivocal expectations of their representatives in the A-League.

"We have teams playing in England, in the US, in Australia and Japan. We have boys and girls of all ages and they all play the same kind of football," he said.

"There (is) a core of values, a core of beliefs that all we have. We win and we lose, but we never leave these.

"We always play attacking football, we try to keep the ball, we play with a high defensive line and we (apply) pressure to recover the ball.

"These are very simple things that all our teams do. Hopefully you see our teams in Melbourne and Manchester play and you will see the same kind of football.

"This doesn't mean we'll win. At the weekend Manchester City had 73 percent possession in a game we lost. But we never, ever renounce our values of the way we play football. We believe. All organisations need some set of basic values that people believe in.

"That's very easy to say when things go well. But the challenge and the fascinating situation is, what happens when things go wrong?"

What indeed.

The result Soriano was referring to, a 2-1 defeat away to Crystal Palace on Monday night, prompted increased speculation in the UK over the future of head coach Manuel Pellegrini, director of football Txiki Begiristain and even the chief executive himself.

If Soriano, a former vice-president and general manager of Barcelona, was bothered by or even aware of the speculation, he didn't show it during an engaging, entertaining presentation.

But the end of the Premier League season and a crucial forthcoming transfer window will demonstrate how much CFG's founder Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan and his right-hand man Khaldoon Al Mubarak buy into Soriano's holistic mission statement.

After spending questionably and falling foul of UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations, a trophyless season and another failure to make a meaningful impact on the UEFA Champions League could prompt the departure of at least one key figure at Etihad Stadium.

Should that happen, who will Melbourne City's football and commercial staff be aiming to please moving into 2015-16?

Will the goal posts shift and what impact could that have on matchday at AAMI Park and day-to-day at the La Trobe University training campus, as well as in the transfer market?

Should the rumoured cull in Manchester failure to materialise, there are still searching questions to be answered by Melbourne City's head coach John van 't Schip, football operations manager John Didulica and chief executive Scott Munn.

Many supporters will have doubts about aspects of the club's recruitment, coaching, conditioning and business model, all of which have been inconsistent during its five seasons in the A-League.

A decisive off-season looms for both teams. Reinforcements are needed and steady progress will be expected next term. In Manchester, that means winning the Premier League or going very close indeed, while finally troubling the latter stages of the European Cup.

In Melbourne, a convincing challenge for the Premier's Plate and having a real say in the finals should be enough. But make no mistake, failure in either hemisphere is unlikely to be tolerated for long.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2015/04/09/10593452/revealed-the-melbourne-city-philosophy

Edited by Murfy1

Just amazing that we are playing a brand of football that is polar opposites to what CFG want, yet JVS still appears to be in the frame to keep his job.

If we were even close to that philosophy then fans would at least see progress, but it just seems odd that this manta that the CEO was going on about seems to have missed Melbourne completely.

Parked bus, counter attacking, bad ball possession and passing..... The list goes on.

"We always play attacking football, we try to keep the ball, we play with a high defensive line and we (apply) pressure to recover the ball.

"These are very simple things that all our teams do. Hopefully you see our teams in Melbourne and Manchester play and you will see the same kind of football.

Just amazing that we are playing a brand of football that is polar opposites to what CFG want, yet JVS still appears to be in the frame to keep his job.

If we were even close to that philosophy then fans would at least see progress, but it just seems odd that this manta that the CEO was going on about seems to have missed Melbourne completely.

Parked bus, counter attacking, bad ball possession and passing..... The list goes on.

This to me suggests JVS will not be keeping his job. Or maybe thats just wishful thinking

This to me suggests JVS will not be keeping his job. Or maybe thats just wishful thinking

It will depend how he can spin the season (ie. injuries, making do with what he had).

One would only hope they see through that reasoning.

It will depend how he can spin the season (ie. injuries, making do with what he had).

One would only hope they see through that reasoning.

Cant spin how we have been playing recently. We have been sitting right back and not pressing in their defensive third.....and everyone here thinks its Kennedy.

We got burnt a number of times playing a high defensive line earlier in the season. As an example for all Paddys efforts in central defense as of late, and I mean this in a positive way becasue he has been fantastic, he just doesn't fit into the City way of football. He's too slow and a liability if we play a high defensive line. It's no coincidence he has had man of the match performances as of late, because our style of play (deeper defensive line) has provided cover for his limitations.

So either city group see we can't play the way they want with our current defensive line or JVS has changed things on his own to get results. Either way it will be interesting to see what happens over the off season. I'd say there a 70% chance of Kisnorbo being let go at the end of the season and an even higher chance that JVS will be removed as well.

Edited by n i k o

We got burnt a number of times playing a high defensive line earlier in the season. As an example for all Paddys efforts in central defense as of late, and I mean this in a positive way becasue he has been fantastic, he just doesn't fit into the City way of football. He's too slow and a liability if we play a high defensive line. It's no coincidence he has had man of the match performances as of late, because our style of play (deeper defensive line) has provided cover for his limitations.

So either city group see we can't play the way they want with our current defensive line or JVS has changed things on his own to get results. Either way it will be interesting to see what happens over the off season. I'd say there a 70% chance of Kisnorbo being let go at the end of the season and an even higher chance that JVS will be removed as well.

Any team will be burnt of they play a high defensive line without a team press. This is why we were burnt earlier in the season.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Any team will be burnt of they plat a high defensive line without a team press. This is why we were burnt earlier in the season. Agree. All I'm pointing out is you can't afford to have a slow centre back when playing a high defensive line. Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Any team will be burnt of they plat a high defensive line without a team press. This is why we were burnt earlier in the season. Agree. All I'm pointing out is you can't afford to have a slow centre back when playing a high defensive line.

So is it curtains for Kisnorbo? Certainly by the comments it would imply that he is not the type of player required.

That slide + Melbourne City 2014/15 = irony

"Effective Ball Possession"

"Generates Emotional Attachment"

I'm happy to see a set of values that are on the input side of the equation rather than on the output side. Perhaps Soriano didn't talk about it, but I note that those values are about the on-field football, and there's no reference to any off-field values at all. And so far, IMO that's where CFG are missing in action. Shahanga commented on this in the "City Survey" thread, and I agree with him - that's where they have a very great deal to learn. At this stage I have the feeling that we are somehow kept at arm's length, and that CFG doesn't yet understand how to embrace supporters or would-be supporters of Melbourne City.

Any team will be burnt of they plat a high defensive line without a team press. This is why we were burnt earlier in the season. Agree. All I'm pointing out is you can't afford to have a slow centre back when playing a high defensive line.

So is it curtains for Kisnorbo? Certainly by the comments it would imply that he is not the type of player required.

Curtains for Kisnorbo and Jaliens then unless they plan to play Jaliens at RB. I wouldn't retain Kisnorbo, his tackling is very good but his distribution is poor and reduces our chances of retaining the ball in transition

I recall JVS being smashed on this forum earlier in the season for not showing enough "tactical flexibility". Now that he's changed the tactics and has won 2 of the last 3 games, namely the must win matches away to Sydney and at home to Brisbane, he's being criticised for wavering from a specific philosophy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I agree that things went awry earlier in the season, when attacking football, with lots of possession, a high defensive line and pressing was attempted, in part due to tactical issues (such as a high defensive line without effective pressing) and in part due to personnel issues (Kisnorbo and Wielaert simply could not produce a very effective high defensive line).

Nonetheless, I'm sure the solid in defense and clinical on the break football of recent weeks is a passing phase of tactics. I actually didn't mind Melbourne City playing that sort of football for a bit at all, as the team finally showed some defensive steel, and showed the character to be able to see games out and secure wins. Those are traits the team has sorely needed IMO. Also, I reckon it's naive to be a purist with football tactics, and even the likes of Adelaide, by Gombau's admission, have been a lot more direct this season (like with their Route 1 goal to win against Sydney last round).

At the end of the day though, I'm sure CFG will want 1) attacking football (read: lots of shots and goals), 2) effective possession, 3) a high defensive line and 4) pressing to be the football Melbourne City consistently plays going forward. Maybe a little leeway with be given by CFG this season due to the playing list and other circumstances, I'm not sure. But I am sure that by next season, that the above 4 points will be demanded by CFG to be produced on a consistent basis, and CFG will do what they believe they have to do to get Melbourne City playing the football they want. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

I recall JVS being smashed on this forum earlier in the season for not showing enough "tactical flexibility". Now that he's changed the tactics and has won 2 of the last 3 games, namely the must win matches away to Sydney and at home to Brisbane, he's being criticised for wavering from a specific philosophy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I agree that things went awry earlier in the season, when attacking football, with lots of possession, a high defensive line and pressing was attempted, in part due to tactical issues (such as a high defensive line without effective pressing) and in part due to personnel issues (Kisnorbo and Wielaert simply could not produce a very effective high defensive line).

Nonetheless, I'm sure the solid in defense and clinical on the break football of recent weeks is a passing phase of tactics. I actually didn't mind Melbourne City playing that sort of football for a bit at all, as the team finally showed some defensive steel, and showed the character to be able to see games out and secure wins. Those are traits the team has sorely needed IMO. Also, I reckon it's naive to be a purist with football tactics, and even the likes of Adelaide, by Gombau's admission, have been a lot more direct this season (like with their Route 1 goal to win against Sydney last round).

At the end of the day though, I'm sure CFG will want 1) attacking football (read: lots of shots and goals), 2) effective possession, 3) a high defensive line and 4) pressing to be the football Melbourne City consistently plays going forward. Maybe a little leeway with be given by CFG this season due to the playing list and other circumstances, I'm not sure. But I am sure that by next season, that the above 4 points will be demanded by CFG to be produced on a consistent basis, and CFG will do what they believe they have to do to get Melbourne City playing the football they want.

Nope. Don't play boring football and get the team looking like they can contend with the big boys. You're only dammed if you don't.

He looks to be damned.

The Melbourne City philosophy, as shown on a slide during Soriano's presentation at the City Business Lunch yesterday:

From yesterday's #CityBusiness address by Ferran Soriano from the City football group @MelbourneCity

CCH8NV-UsAE4w0j.jpg

https://twitter.com/IGT007/status/586026747671392256

Just looked at the twitter account #CityBusiness and OK, I'm impressed by the slickness of the event. Kind of makes me feel we're putting on a professional show at last and making a statement that we're aiming high. That we have ambition. Can't say I felt this under the previous administration.

Murphy im glad he's changed tactics for the sake of saving our season. But going forward I don't have faith, and it's the future where I beleive he will be damned.

I agree with you Niko however all Murf is pointing out is that a few commentators on this forum change their argument week in and week out to push their own opinions. He (or she?) is simply trying to provided balanced and evidence based opinion. Murf is like the Luke Skywalker of this forum in that he/she is trying to bring balance in the force.

Murphy im glad he's changed tactics for the sake of saving our season. But going forward I don't have faith, and it's the future where I beleive he will be damned.

I agree with you Niko however all Murf is pointing out is that a few commentators on this forum change their argument week in and week out to push their own opinions. He (or she?) is simply trying to provided balanced and evidence based opinion. Murf is like the Luke Skywalker of this forum in that he/she is trying to bring balance in the force.

Bit too hagiograpic for me but I do enjoy reading Murf's contributions. I just presume that the other posters are blinded by passion.

I was under the assumption Murphy may have placed my earlier comments under the same banner if I can put it that way. I was merely pointing out that while I'm glad that JVS has changed tactics my overall opinion of his role and future position at the club, unlike some posters, hasnt changed. That's of course dependant on whether he had directed his comments at me though.

I haven't changed my mind: JVS out. I said at the start of the season that my greatest fear was that not that City would come last but that City would just scrape into the finals and that JVS would keep his job. I haven't bothered posting much this season partly because I got sick of the JVS argument going around in circles. If JVS does keep his job you can bet the arguments will go around for another half a season or till whenever he is fired. 

• Like 1

Sadly that's just a promotional decal, used for displaying the car at football events. At the actual Le Mans 24 hours, the car will be racing in its usual livery.

Edited by Falastur

I remember Newcastle United had a car in the 90s. If I recall correctly it was comically unsuccessful 

97_43.jpg Comically unsuccessful? Sounds just like Newcastle United tbh.

• Like 1

I remember Newcastle United had a car in the 90s. If I recall correctly it was comically unsuccessful 

97_43.jpg Comically unsuccessful? Sounds just like Newcastle United tbh.

ka-daycr.jpg

• Like 1

I was under the assumption Murphy may have placed my earlier comments under the same banner if I can put it that way. I was merely pointing out that while I'm glad that JVS has changed tactics my overall opinion of his role and future position at the club, unlike some posters, hasnt changed. That's of course dependant on whether he had directed his comments at me though.

Appreciate the Star Wars reference. I do strive for balance..

My point about JVS being criticsed over tactical inflexibility wasn't necessarily directed at anyone. I was just pointing out that there used to be more than a few posts on this forum criticising JVS for not changing his tactics, and now there's more than a few posts criticising JVS for not adhering closely to Soriano's stated City philosophy. Especially given that the team has been winning games lately, I was just wondering what the coach staff would have to do to avoid ample criticism.

Interesting to read to that the Man City forum has had similar discussions around whether their team plays to a philosophy (with the same 'is it the coach or is it the players' debate): http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=311294&start=1240