Melbourne Football

Round 23: Melbourne City v Brisbane Roar, AAMI Park, Sat 28 March 7.30 pm

Murfy1

was an unexpected text today, but good that the club is still putting energy into trying to maximise exposure.

The biggest thing would be to actually win this match, playing some exciting football in front of any new fans that are brought along. Am I asking for miracles?  :lol:

Edited by Heart_fan

I'm a bit worried the team will play like it's content to get a draw this weekend. Right now, whether we manage to hold on to sixth is not the big issue. What's important to me is that we start building some momentum and give a real indication that we wouldn't just be making up the numbers in the finals. Ten points over the remaining five games should be the goal.

9 or 10 points from five games would be good, averages out to two points each game. 3 wins and a draw or 2 wins and 3 draws.

That's more than we've averaged so far, and we have a tough run ahead - Brisbane and Wellington at home, and WSW, Perth and Adelaide away. The consolation is that Brisbane and Central Coast have just as difficult a task ahead; Brisbane in particular have an almost impossible schedule.

So I'd say we're the favourites. Just take each game as it comes, needs good team selection and substitutions as necessary, play steadily and don't panic and we should get there.

All true, but at the risk of jinxing us, it looks like a really good chance to build some serious momentum heading into the tough final weeks. Depending on what happens on Saturday and next week, we could be hitting our stride at the right time.

I think sixth spot is definitely ours to lose, but I think the club should be aiming for better than that: that we will genuinely travel to wherever we would be obliged to for the first week of finals as a massive chance of knocking our opponent off.

I'm a bit worried the team will play like it's content to get a draw this weekend. Right now, whether we manage to hold on to sixth is not the big issue. What's important to me is that we start building some momentum and give a real indication that we wouldn't just be making up the numbers in the finals. Ten points over the remaining five games should be the goal.

I don't think they will play for a draw. Watching last night, Brisbane were on their knees.

I can see us coming out hard early trying to put the game to bed within the first half hour... and we really should. The gaps I saw between the Brisbane defence last night were staggering. Bulut and co had acres of space to run into. 

I'd be very disappointed if we had that attitude. We should be going in for the kill from the first whistle.

I don't think they will be playing for it either. But I can see that sort of familiar lethargy that we've displayed time and again after a good result or two and will make us wonder whether they want it as much as the opposition. If City can get a win here with a polished display, I think I'm back in on this group. I'm easy like that.

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 5.Erik PAARTALU, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 10.Robert KOREN, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16. Josh KENNEDY, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 26.Marc MARINO, 27.Kew JALIENS

**two to be omitted*

Ins: 9.Harry NOVILLO (returns from illness), 15. David WILLIAMS (returns from injury), 16.Josh KENNEDY (returns from injury)

Outs: 6.Aaron MOOY (international duty), 28.Nick SYMEOY, 34.Stefan ZINNI

Unavailable: 3.Robbie WIELAERT (ankle – 3 weeks), 4.Connor CHAPMAN (suspended – 2 matches), 11.Damien DUFF (ankle/calf – indefinite), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (ankle – 8 weeks), 25.Jacob MELLING (knee – 1-2 weeks), 29.Safuwan BAHARUDIN (international duty)

Kris griffiths jones ref, might aswell of given us strebre or ben wiliams

Edited by Thrillhouse

Brisbane:

Unavailable: 1.Michael THEO (groin – 1 week), 5.Corey BROWN (international duty), 10.HENRIQUE (knee – 4 weeks), 13.Jade NORTH  (groin – 1 week), 15.James DONACHIE (international duty), 17.Matt McKAY (international duty), 22.Thomas BROICH (ankle – 1 week), 33.Luke DeVERE (international duty)

If we don't win this game we don't deserve to be in the finals - simple as that.

Rofl, we're fucked.

If we don't win this game we don't deserve to be in the finals - simple as that.

Wholeheartedly agree. Brisbane can be a good team but with that list of unavailable players (and their schedule) we should win this comfortably.

Our mentality is the most important factor. If we 'don't turn up' again or we fall to pieces, then we'll know where we actually stand. 

Past performances don't fill me with confidence. 

However, I do think we will get over the line. I'm expecting a big winning margin. 

Edited by Harrison

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 5.Erik PAARTALU, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 10.Robert KOREN, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16. Josh KENNEDY, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 26.Marc MARINO, 27.Kew JALIENS

**two to be omitted*

Ins: 9.Harry NOVILLO (returns from illness), 15. David WILLIAMS (returns from injury), 16.Josh KENNEDY (returns from injury)

Unavailable: 3.Robbie WIELAERT (ankle – 3 weeks), 4.Connor CHAPMAN (suspended – 2 matches), 11.Damien DUFF (ankle/calf – indefinite), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (ankle – 8 weeks), 25.Jacob MELLING (knee – 1-2 weeks), 29.Safuwan BAHARUDIN (international duty)

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/hyundai-a-league-round-23---ins-and-outs/5qcif45nmjgs1uibf7vuzyc38#m4Vic7kugpXtRWUw.99

I still remember this club unable to beat bunch of kids from New Zealand at AAMI.

We have a disease of not showing up when it matters most.

Draw!

This is what this club has done to us. We are mentally fragile. Negative. We should be going into this game full of confidence and expectant of a dominant win.

Just can't mentally get that. I'm worried.

• Like 2

Just got a text message from the club. It's bring a friend for free against Brisbane. 14k coming up

That's what we thought earlier this year when they tried the free ticket strategy and it didn't really significantly boost numbers.

This is the type of game though that has a lot riding on it, which one would think should get more interested. We will see.

**two to be omitted*

Kris griffiths jones ref, might aswell of given us strebre or ben wiliams

I don't see the point of naming a squad, Symeoy and Zinni weren't named in the last squad, but were put on the bench.

If Hoffman is in and Symeoy is out then it would tell me Hoffman may have had an injury or illness last week. 

• Like 1

Despite Brisbane's enormous list of unavailability, it's important to look at who's still playing and their potential starting XI is still easily good enough to take care of us if we're not 100% focused. 

Polenz, Stefanutto and Hingert are available in defence;

Brattan, Sarota, Lustica and Clut are available in midfield;

and Kaluderovic, Borrello, Petratos and Solorzano are all available up front. 

They are definitely undermanned in defence and will likely have to play a kid in Lachlan Jackson as a starting CB so we can exploit them there, but there's nothing to suggest they can't still put 3 or 4 past us if they have to as they still have a multitude of attacking options with a strong midfield presence.

Despite Brisbane's enormous list of unavailability, it's important to look at who's still playing and their potential starting XI is still easily good enough to take care of us if we're not 100% focused. 

They are definitely undermanned in defence and will likely have to play a kid in Lachlan Jackson as a starting CB so we can exploit them there, but there's nothing to suggest they can't still put 3 or 4 past us if they have to as they still have a multitude of attacking options with a strong midfield presence.

I don't rate Stefanuto, Polenz is a thug and Hingert is young. Brattan and Clut are good, Sarota has a long way to regain form, and Lustica can be on for a period but never for 90 minutes. Solorzano can be hot and cold.

Yes apparently Cat A and B sections have reerved seating so they can't offer free admission. I made a point to them why they don't offer discounts for members in those sections to bring friends, like half price. For all the bonuses they promise for being a Cat A or B member, I get fuck all from them.

• Like 1

Yes apparently Cat A and B sections have reerved seating so they can't offer free admission. I made a point to them why they don't offer discounts for members in those sections to bring friends, like half price. For all the bonuses they promise for being a Cat A or B member, I get fuck all from them.

Ridiculous. Surely you can just get a free GA ticket anyway and if the A/B member wants to sit with their friend, they can go to GA. It's hardly Fort Knox there, I've had GA mates talk their way in to sitting in B (where I am) or even A (the next aisle over) numerous times.

Do they want people to go to the games??

If any Melburnians read this forum please note:

Supporter Message

Melbourne City FC recognises the importance of fan safety and acceptable fan behaviour at all Hyundai A-League ­­matches.  The Club has a zero tolerance policy for anti-social behaviour and behaviour which incites violence, has the potential to harm and causes safety concerns for stadium security.

We are particularly mindful that the use of flares at Melbourne City FC matches will not be tolerated and remind supporters that:

The possession, ignition or throwing of flares will incur a five-year ban for a first offence on an individual (or group of individuals) from Football Federation Australia. The ban covers Hyundai A-league, friendly matches, International fixtures, National Youth League and Westfield W-League matches

The Club receives a maximum fine of $4,900 per flare.

It's a lose-lose situtation for fans and club. Always like to sit near active support, and think they do a good job with chants for the numbers they get. But leave the hooligan fantasies to the drongos at MVC or WSW. We already struggle to get a decent crowd.

Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 2

As Cat A and B members we can relocate to GA if we want, so the process is not a problem. My problem is I pay extra for my seat and I want to bring friends to experience the same viewing that I do. I'm not happy that the club can't allow us to bring a friend for a discounted price into an unallocated seat in those sections. Instead I have to relocate into GA for the price of a Cat A seat for that game, losing money I paid for my better seat for the sole purpose of bringing them more members to the club. Quite frankly they can go shove it you know where.

• Like 1

Supporter Message

Melbourne City FC recognises the importance of fan safety and acceptable fan behaviour at all Hyundai A-League ­­matches.  The Club has a zero tolerance policy for anti-social behaviour and behaviour which incites violence, has the potential to harm and causes safety concerns for stadium security.

We are particularly mindful that the use of flares at Melbourne City FC matches will not be tolerated and remind supporters that:

The possession, ignition or throwing of flares will incur a five-year ban for a first offence on an individual (or group of individuals) from Football Federation Australia. The ban covers Hyundai A-league, friendly matches, International fixtures, National Youth League and Westfield W-League matches

It's a lose-lose situtation for fans and club. Always like to sit near active support, and think they do a good job with chants for the numbers they get. But leave the hooligan fantasies to the drongos at MVC or WSW. We already struggle to get a decent crowd.

No pyro no party

• Like 1

Supporter Message

Melbourne City FC recognises the importance of fan safety and acceptable fan behaviour at all Hyundai A-League ­­matches. The Club has a zero tolerance policy for anti-social behaviour and behaviour which incites violence, has the potential to harm and causes safety concerns for stadium security.

Lol k

As Cat A and B members we can relocate to GA if we want, so the process is not a problem. My problem is I pay extra for my seat and I want to bring friends to experience the same viewing that I do. I'm not happy that the club can't allow us to bring a friend for a discounted price into an unallocated seat in those sections. Instead I have to relocate into GA for the price of a Cat A seat for that game, losing money I paid for my better seat for the sole purpose of bringing them more members to the club. Quite frankly they can go shove it you know where.

Think you're being a little harsh on the club there. If you can "bring a mate" to sit in the Cat A or Cat B seats, then all the others who come along would want to sit there and experience Cat A & B seats. I think we should be greatful the club is allowing us to "bring a mate". Can't satisfy everyone.

Think you're being a little harsh on the club there. If you can "bring a mate" to sit in the Cat A or Cat B seats, then all the others who come along would want to sit there and experience Cat A & B seats. I think we should be greatful the club is allowing us to "bring a mate". Can't satisfy everyone.

I don't think I am at all. As a GA member you can be grateful. As a Cat A Im not.

• Like 1

Supporter Message

Melbourne City FC recognises the importance of fan safety and acceptable fan behaviour at all Hyundai A-League ­­matches. The Club has a zero tolerance policy for anti-social behaviour and behaviour which incites violence, has the potential to harm and causes safety concerns for stadium security.

Just going to throw it out there; there is pretty strong correlation between attendance and hooliganism at A-League games. Not necessarily a causation, but definitely a correlation.

• Like 1

Supporter Message

Roff, those clubs have the biggest attendances.

If anything, pyro = big crowds.

Edit: Fucken Malloy, beat me to it. Cunt.

Edited by AyeCee
  • Like 2

I don't think I am at all. As a GA member you can be grateful. As a Cat A Im not.

Niko is making a valid point. MrsJW and I are also Premium A, and not qualifying for any concession we pay a fair bit for our reserved seats. Yes, of course it is our choice to do that. and MHFC is under no obligation to do anything more than it does for us. However, when MHFC gives away free seats to one category of members only it is somewhat ironical that it is the lowest-paying group of members that benefits, and there's no attempt to include higher-paying members in the offer. I have in fact contacted the club a couple of times on this, suggesting it try and find a solution to include all members, but to no avail; it's just in the "too hard" basket. It is particularly irksome because at nearly all matches except home derbies there are rows and rows of empty A and B seats, even though they are reserved for members who just don't turn up.

I believe one or two EPL clubs have a system by which a season-ticket holder who is not going to attend a particular match notifies the club and then that seat can be resold. I'd be happier if I sensed that MHFC was actually looking at the issue instead of just hiding behind the "reserved seat" mantra.

Individual issues like this are small in themselves. But collectively they contribute to the reasons why our club doesn't grow.

• Like 4

Well said jw. If the club didn't offer any added bonuses for any membership category then there wouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't care tbh. But the club does promise with membership that you are entitled to certain "privileges" for being part of the club, yet those privileges aren't accessible to the majority of members in that category. Besides my choice of seating, being GA is far more beneficial.

I don't rate Stefanuto, Polenz is a thug and Hingert is young. Brattan and Clut are good, Sarota has a long way to regain form, and Lustica can be on for a period but never for 90 minutes. Solorzano can be hot and cold. Borrello is a young fella with huge talent

• Like 1

Supporter Message

Just going to throw it out there; there is pretty strong correlation between attendance and hooliganism at A-League games. Not necessarily a causation, but definitely a correlation.

I think there is a correlation between strong active supporter groups and attendance, but it's pretty difficult to gauge whether the use of flares, and other hooliganism has an effect.

If you can prove otherwise please do so.

There are other larger factors for MVC and WSW's attendance being larger than ours. I won't go any further as we're drifting off topic.

Hope to see a big crowd on Saturday, and that people stop and think about the larger consequences of flares etc.

Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 2