Melbourne Football

City vs Macarthur, AAMI Park, Friday 12th March 2021

fensaddler

9 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Only 4884? Surely, it was more. I've noticed since the turnstiles are open, the crowd looks bigger than what is actually registered. I'm certain some who cbf or the older generation who are not tech savvy don't even secure their seats via Ticketmaster. They probably just rock up and walk through. Regardless, great win.

Our gang reckoned about 4,000, so the figure looks correct to me. A few minutes before KO it looked as though it was going to be a lot lower than eventuated!

Talk about champagne football, what a performance that was!

The first half may be the best football I've ever seen the club play. Slick, crisp passing combined with a rock hard defence. It's becoming harder and harder to pick out each week that we need to improve on, due to the fact we're playing so well.

The issue now will be trying to fit players into the squad now when healthy. Someone like luna who has played so well for us over his city career, suddenly will be questioning whether he is a starter in our team or not. Reis, good and Griffiths just look so comfortable out there, could you really pull one out for him? 

Keep up the good effort fellas! CCM is a big, big game, but if we play like we did in the first half tonight, we will smash them.

Starting to look the goods now. Our right hand side is very hard to stop and it’s got defences worried. I’ll temper it by saying that in the last four matches the left-hand side of our opposition’s defence has been weak. If it’s not ordinary players like Golec at LB then it’s teenage defenders. But it’s got to the point now where we’ve faced some of the stronger teams in the competition and it’s a case of who’s left that can stop us? If Nabbout and Atkinson stay fit then we’re a dangerous team.

Maclaren is scoring again and the midfield and defence looks strong otherwise. All lines are clicking and it honestly looks like the team is on autopilot. 

3 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I haven't seen the TV coverage yet. What was everyone's take the early handball on the edge of the box? From where we were it looked like it should at least have gone to VAR to look if we should be awarded a penalty. 

It hit the arm that was tucked in, so it wasn’t one. Would’ve been very harsh. Noone’s was clear because his arm was way above his shoulder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I haven't seen the TV coverage yet. What was everyone's take the early handball on the edge of the box? From where we were it looked like it should at least have gone to VAR to look if we should be awarded a penalty. 

It looked like a penalty from our position too. Did it even go to review? I thought maybe the VAR was still having a pee, or still settling into his chair with a beer, and wasn't even ready for a review.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It looked like a penalty from our position too. Did it even go to review? I thought maybe the VAR was still having a pee, or still settling into his chair with a beer, and wasn't even ready for a review.

Just watched the replay. Hit his hand that was tucked into the body and 'in the shadow'. Correct call.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, haz said:

If only we hung on to the lead against the Mariners.

I know right?!?

The thing is, I watched that game and never at any stage felt like we had control of the match. Both our goals felt against the run of play and the mariners, at least in my opinion, looked better from start to finish. That still doesn't excuse giving up a 2 goal lead but I feel like we are playing so much better football now that this upcoming game will be very different to the last one. 

Nabbout and Griffiths being back has been an absolute game changer and Atkinson and Maclaren finding their best form is certainly why we are now looking unstoppable. 

Like others have said, we've had teams in the past where we score for fun, but we've never had the combination of lethal attack and rock solid defence together. At least not to the extent we have now. I'm confident we can win it this season! It's just a matter of not getting complacent 

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Milicic couldn't have been more positive about City if he tried. I don't think I've ever watched  a 10-minute presser in which some 90% was spent talking up the opposing club. Plaudits all over the place. The "benchmark" club indeed!

I think he would be trying to 'feather a future nest' as he knows the network of potential clubs that city can offer to coaches also. That or trying to disarm Paddy. 

friends close enemies closer, i say. 

Edited by citymad

50 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Milicic couldn't have been more positive about City if he tried. I don't think I've ever watched  a 10-minute presser in which some 90% was spent talking up the opposing club. Plaudits all over the place. The "benchmark" club indeed!

I reckon. Pretty much seeking autographs there.

I suppose when you’ve been smashed you’re not going to say “they’re shit” are you?
Anyways I loved hearing those compliments from a professional I respect  , just hope no one lets it go to their heads. You can go from hero to zero in the blink of an eye.

So what did we think about the substitution strategy last night?

3-0 up.

In my opinion - Jmac played with a groin injury, Noone and Berenguer (cooked and on a yellow) all had to come off after 60-70 minutes.

Fringe players like Tilio, Tsubaki, Colakovski and Gomulka need game time as in more than 5 minutes to develop. I find this very concerning.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

So what did we think about the substitution strategy last night?

3-0 up.

In my opinion - Jmac played with a groin injury, Noone and Berenguer (cooked and on a yellow) all had to come off after 60-70 minutes.

Fringe players like Tilio, Tsubaki and Colakovski and Gomulka need game time as in more than 5 minutes to develop. I find this very concerning.

It’s the Mombaerts way, he used suns very sparingly

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

It’s the Mombaerts way, he used suns very sparingly

I have a theory about this. Pep Guardiola uses subs relatively sparingly. He has spoken at lengths how he won’t interfere with his team if the game is flowing and they’re playing the right way. He cares less about the score, and more about how the game feels.

Erick has spoken about how Pep influences him, and PK has done the same about Erick. 

Just a theory.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IssySG said:

I have a theory about this. Pep Guardiola uses subs relatively sparingly. He has spoken at lengths how he won’t interfere with his team if the game is flowing and they’re playing the right way. He cares less about the score, and more about how the game feels.

Erick has spoken about how Pep influences him, and PK has done the same about Erick. 

Just a theory.

That's interesting because whist that may be the case, you also need to feel if those subs need to be done earlier. Like ing the Sydney game. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

That's interesting because whist that may be the case, you also need to feel if those subs need to be done earlier. Like ing the Sydney game. 

Funnily enough that’s the game that sparked my train of thought. From the stands it seemed glaringly obvious that subs needed to be made during the second half as the boys started running out of legs, and PK was asked about this in the post match press conference, he acknowledged that maybe he should have  made subs earlier, but he didn’t want to change the ‘dynamic’ of our team because we were playing well.

Maybe that’s just PK’s style of managing and it’s own independent thing, but I just remember hearing that in the press conference and it reminded me of what Pep tends to say.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Funnily enough that’s the game that sparked my train of thought. From the stands it seemed glaringly obvious that subs needed to be made during the second half as the boys started running out of legs, and PK was asked about this in the post match press conference, he acknowledged that maybe he should have  made subs earlier, but he didn’t want to change the ‘dynamic’ of our team because we were playing well.

Maybe that’s just PK’s style of managing and it’s own independent thing, but I just remember hearing that in the press conference and it reminded me of what Pep tends to say.

IMO it was also glaringly obvious from the stands that the team was NOT playing nearly at the level it was in the first half. Watching this match and then listening to PK does make me wonder whether he is really up to it - repeating the mantra doesn't make the mantra the right way.

But a win's a win and three points is three points - I guess I'm just nitpicking to criticise.

Its definitely an interesting discussion point. I thought he pretty well got it right and im kinda of the opinion when its working well you dont need to change it just for the sake of it.

Now i probably took a different view of the second half to some: it seemed clear to me that we took the 3-0 lead as an opportunity practice game management and play a game that was effectively the same but with a less risky approach when attacking.

Barely conceded a decent chance which to me was just as encouraging as the sublime first half.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Its definitely an interesting discussion point. I thought he pretty well got it right and im kinda of the opinion when its working well you dont need to change it just for the sake of it.

Now i probably took a different view of the second half to some: it seemed clear to me that we took the 3-0 lead as an opportunity practice game management and play a game that was effectively the same but with a less risky approach when attacking.

Barely conceded a decent chance which to me was just as encouraging as the sublime first half.

But what about game time for the prospect fringe players?

I’m still baffled that we leave an injured Maclaren and out of gas plus yellow card Berenguer on the pitch. All this being 3-0 up.

Jamie is a fighter but with groin injuries you need to protect your players especially your only centre forward. A tired Florin can be easily be late and cop a second yellow.

The comparison with Pep is valid regarding substitution strategy but Man City is rotation 20 players over all their games since the start of the season -minutes are carefully managed, this weekend against Fulham is a great example.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

People see different things @Mr MO.

I thought Berenguer was running the game like chess master in the second half. Last bloke I’d have subbed.

Sure indeed we do and an injured Jmac? Berenguer certainly played well for 60minutes.

I’m commenting in the context of making subs for development purposes. You can pick any player you like......

I’m just genuinely concerned about the the lack of game time particularly for Colakovski! Unless we are going to win everything with 3 and 6-0.

Edited by Mr MO

Was Maclaren injured at all? 

During the game he looked fine, just when watching the replay those Muppets kept harping on that he did it the warm up. 

Seriously if he was injured firstly as a pro he would have said something and secondly the coaching staff would have picked it up, they have all the gps data and would 100% noticed reduced high intensity sprints.

For me they played the second half in way not to concede as opposed to score. They didn't want another Mariners or Sydney outcome. 

Yes the young blokes need more minutes, but this time I think we got it spot on,  and once again that is based on the result, not what should have happened. 

• Like 6

Yeh, im certainly not saying JMac wasnt injured, but Kisnorbo denied it at HT and he still moved well enough that with a slightly different breeze hed have had a hatty against the 2nd placed side. Ultimately only those inside the four walls would know.

I didnt think Flo was noticably gassed moreso than anyone else but fresh legs in midfield is common in that stage. 

Game time is definitely an interesting point too, but tbh i land in the 'you manage for the win' category first. Opportunities will naturally come to get game time via suspensions and injuries.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Was Maclaren injured at all? 

During the game he looked fine, just when watching the replay those Muppets kept harping on that he did it the warm up. 

Seriously if he was injured firstly as a pro he would have said something and secondly the coaching staff would have picked it up, they have all the gps data and would 100% noticed reduced high intensity sprints

Yeah Jmac played with groin issue picked up in warm up, second half he played very conservatively, the many long runs weren’t there anymore and pulled out of some challenges. I did notice a drop in second half.

It was openly discussed after the game by himself and staff knew pre-game. He did come off in the second half but a little late for my liking.

10 days to recover now so he will fine.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Yeh, im certainly not saying JMac wasnt injured, but Kisnorbo denied it at HT and he still moved well enough that with a slightly different breeze hed have had a hatty against the 2nd placed side. Ultimately only those inside the four walls would know.

I didnt think Flo was noticably gassed moreso than anyone else but fresh legs in midfield is common in that stage. 

Game time is definitely an interesting point too, but tbh i land in the 'you manage for the win' category first. Opportunities will naturally come to get game time via suspensions and injuries.

Managing for the win does also require a bit of forward planning. Which includes giving game time to the players who be a startin XI player if another were injured or we require a tactical change. At 3 nil up there should have been a sub at 60 mins.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, malloy said:

Managing for the win does also require a bit of forward planning. Which includes giving game time to the players who be a startin XI player if another were injured or we require a tactical change. At 3 nil up there should have been a sub at 60 mins.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but i can also sympathize with the view of bedding in a first XI and becoming a well oiled machine too. I think its fair to say Sydney's approach over the last five years (not so much this year) has been very first XI/squad of 14 focused and its been hard for anyone below that to break in.

49 minutes ago, malloy said:

The forward planning must also take into account contracts - and of course we don't know what may have already been agreed for next season and following.

• Like 1

I have a theory that we didn't sub Berenguer cause we're making him get fitter. I honestly can't remember the last time he played a full 90 two weeks in a row. When the game is safe, let's make him run out 90 rather than his usual 70 or 75, so that when we do need him to go for 90 later in season in a tight game, he can do it. 

Obviously it's not ideal on the subs though that they don't get the chance of 25 minutes 

• Like 1

With Luna out, Berenguer has sort of replaced his spot at the top next to Maclaren when we press. It’s a lot of running and it’s probably why he’s been noticeably more fatigued. But building up his tank is a good idea. Need to get him right so he’s contributing come finals time. 

If I was coach I would’ve made a few subs around 70 to get minutes into some of the kids. But it’s not a big deal. 

• Like 1

I would argue that the place to build a player's fitness is the training track, not a competitive match. IMO people are looking for excuses for PK. Berenguer was not making a useful contribution in the last 20 - he could barely put one foot in front of the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I would argue that the place to build a player's fitness is the training track, not a competitive match. IMO people are looking for excuses for PK. Berenguer was not making a useful contribution in the last 20 - he could barely put one foot in front of the other.

Well obviously he would be building fitness at training. But there’s no substitute for competitive match intensity especially for someone who had no preseason.

Seems to me like people are nitpicking and looking for something to criticise when we just demolished the second best team 3-0. It’s not a big deal at all.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Well obviously he would be building fitness at training. But there’s no substitute for competitive match intensity especially for someone who had no preseason.

Seems to me like people are nitpicking and looking for something to criticise when we just demolished the second best team 3-0. It’s not a big deal at all.

IMO it's not nitpicking - it's a discussion on whether we think PK got his substitutions right. It's only a matter of a few weeks since some were saying he wasn't up to the job! As always, our opinions are mainly driven by results, because they're what counts at the end of the season.

11 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I think we're just use to being nitpicky and miserable, why stop now!

• Like 1

Nitpicking or not - I hope we can all agree that it doesn’t help our very own Phil Foden (Colakovski) to play only 4 minutes per week and no second team to make minutes in either. He’s 20 yo, not 16 and needs to make minutes.

I get so exited when he comes on.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1