Melbourne Football

City vs Macarthur, AAMI Park, Friday 12th March 2021

fensaddler

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Unchanged for me.

Might be stating the obvious a little bit, but it feels like these next two games might be our make or break moment. The chance to take the next step beckons, its high time we finally took it.

Thats a fairly long and unnecessary way of saying "next game we will see where we're at"

• Like 1

It’s a cliche around here but it really is a match to see where we’re at as a team. Friday night football, nice weather, a decent opponent, a bit of expectation, good form coming into it...it would be typical of us to lose this. But maybe we’ve changed. Maybe we really are as good as I think we are. Maybe Kisnorbo is the right man. Will be interesting. 

Nabbout gets all the credit which he deserves fully, but since Atkinson has been back on the right with him, we have been a different team. 

We have all sometimes thought it but probably never really meant it, but I'm 100% sure this season that our best is better than everyone elses, if we play like this there isn't anyone who comes near us 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, n i k o said:

We're in about 3rd gear right now. It's warm and we're sitting on our three goal lead. 

Need a bit of a spark.

First half we made all the right decisions going forward, the second half all goes wrong so far going forward. Bring on the youth for more than 5 minutes. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Ok at least one sub is made but needed 2 subs there really imo. Need fresh legs running at them. 

And a couple more in the 88th minute - I never see the point of these late ones if you aren’t chasing. Need to come 15 minutes earlier.

Edited by Mr MO

The goals are good, but we have always been able to score. But I'm most happy with 270 minutes with no goals conceded and really we haven't looked like conceding in past 2 games. The defence is as good as its ever been for us

Edited by neio
  • Like 4

Pinch me. I think I’m dreaming.What a performance.

Against a side like that, in that weather, we were never going to be able to steam roll them for 90minutes, so to steam roll them for 45 then shut them out for the next 45 was a superb performance.

A football Masterclass really. Everyone played well. The Atkinson-Nabbout combination is really developing. 
4 wins in a row

3 clean sheets in a row

3 times in a row our opponents have had to make a sub at half time.

We absolutely smashed them in the 1st half. The period when we scored the 3 goals we were pretty much unstoppable ... I've never seen us more dominant.  Nabbout was a machine. The dribble and pass he made for the 2nd goal was world class.  

The current formation is working really well. NA is a very good player in this league.  Rostyn is running the midfield,  and that was possibly Noone's best performance for us.

MacArthur were actually not all that bad and tried to play a nice brand of football.  They just had no answer to our purple patch, and Good and Reis are hard to beat.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

Not a lot to add to the above. Blistering first half but quite frankly a turgid second half from the spectators' point of view. Yes, all very well to shut down Macarthur for 48 minutes or so but the home fans deserve a little bit more than that. I could make no sense out of Kisnorbo's substitutions whatsoever. Berenguer had no energy at all and should have gone at half-time and at 70 minutes I reckon PK should have made further subs - perhaps one being to pull off Maclaren and move Nabbout to the centre and bring on Cola; the latter was the obvious first choice and instead Garuccio comes on - WTF?

Man of the match: Nabbout who was our main attacking threat , well supported by Atkinson. Glover had safe hands but always looks nervous to me with the ball at his feet.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Only 4884? Surely, it was more. I've noticed since the turnstiles are open, the crowd looks bigger than what is actually registered. I'm certain some who cbf or the older generation who are not tech savvy don't even secure their seats via Ticketmaster. They probably just rock up and walk through. Regardless, great win.